Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Xenix posted:

While I know he already came back with a "lol, no," this reminds me of a happening on the old Gene Wolfe mailing list. There was a guy there who posted by the name Roy C. Lackey who has similarly very well thought out posts. He eventually got called out in a very cavalier way as potentially being Gene Wolfe who sees himself on the mailing list as a king overseeing his servants with a clever name (Roi see lackey).

It would be kinda hosed up if Wolfe didn’t do that tbh, those readers probably deserved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KilGrey posted:

Brandon Sanderson is doing a live stream tonight with Matt Hatch and Daniel Greene to discuss the season finale if anyone is interested. (I guess Greene is a YouTuber and I think Hatch does the Dusty Wheel YouTube?)

https://www.youtube.com/live/ylnkmh6BZtU?si=B4xWkXqW0dETGoMy

Goes live in about 6 hours.

Cross posting this from the wheel of time thread

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Mistborn: Secret History (Full Novella)

Secret History was a fun little reminder that Kelsier is a dick, fun, but a dick. Since I recently read most of Era 2, I am imagining just how little Kelsier and Wax would get along. They'd both want to be in charge, but Wax is a noble and Kelsier is a dick.

Kelsier refusing to die, punching god, then yolo-ing himself into the Well to survive was quite the Kelsier thing to do. I'm glad he got a few visitors in Rashek, who instantly noped out, and "Cephandrius", yet another name for Hoid. I was suspicious of him being Hoid at first, I'm glad Brandon went and confirmed that later on. I noted that Hoid did not eat the Lerasium on page, but he was trying to become an Elantrian in Elantris, so maybe he's a Mistborn? I can't recall seeing any proof of Allomancy from him, but I can't be sure that he hasn't.

Preservation mentions a "Senna", and Ati later mentions a "Vax", were these people they knew pre-ascension? I don't recall those names before, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for them now, especially in The Lost Metal.

Kelsier's POV finally gave us some answers about which Mistspirits were which god, including Kelsier pushing Preservation to stabbing Elend in a last ditch effort to stop Vin from releasing Ruin.

When Kelsier gets free, he can better see what things are when he touches them, incredibly similar to Shallan and Jasnah when they're in Shadesmar and touching the spheres there to soulcast. I also like how the Cognitive Realm seems to mirror the shards and power in both places. On Scadrial the world is misty, while Shadesmar is made of spheres, like how both powers are held in their most basic state in the Physical Realm.

Kelsier also feels the presence of the Southerners before he's even holding Preservation. Sazed, what the loving gently caress?

I get to actually for real meet Khriss and Nazh as themselves! Khriss is described exactly like the "Terris" scientist that danced with Wax, and Nazh has the same Threnody "Shadows!" swear that the guy who wanted Nicelle's map used. Clearly they were both in New Seran together in that book. Interesting that Ire are on the watch for Threnodians later on. I am even more excited to read White Sand next, since a) I know Khriss is from that world and b) That's gotta be her on the cover.

Finally some actual information about the Ire! I guess I could have figured out they were from Sel if I read the Aon glossary, but I absolutely did not care about those back then, or even now. Similar to Hoid, they want power, but while Hoid just wants some abilities they want the whole Shard once the old man kicks the bucket. Kelsier's small heist was fun, getting the Connection Investiture or whatever exactly that was.

Kelsier's back and forth with Ruin was honestly the least interesting part of this book, since I know how it ends for Ruin, but I did like Kelsier making attempts to have an effect on the few people mad enough to hear him, and then Spook later on, including getting that message to Marsh.

Well, Vin and Elend's death did hit quite as hard since I was expecting it, but watching them go into the Spiritual Realm was rough. Vin could have stayed, but Elend probably couldn't have since he never touched Preservation, so Vin really couldn't have let him go on alone. Even if it only lasted a few minutes or hours, Vin seemed really changed by Preservation. She seemed much wiser and serene.

And then there was Spook. Again. Of course Kelsier talked to him not once, but twice. (I am not, and have never been, a Spook fan.) I guess Kelsier used Hemalurgy to give himself a body? I'm not sure about the implications of that, or even how that works specifically, but I was definitely hoping for more of that here. Maybe that comes later, the postscript mentioned the possibility of a Secret History 2 and 3. I'm also curious about the hints about what he's been up to in the Wax & Wayne books, beyond the obvious ones like the one eyed depiction of his new/old body and having helped out the Southerners.

On to White Sand! My Omnibus came in today, just in time for me to read it instead of the (non-canon) prose version, so that's exciting. This is actually my first physical Cosmere book, but only because it's a graphic novel and my kobo isn't exactly cut out for that.

Progress so far:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Mistborn: Secret History (Full Novella)

I can't recall seeing any proof of Allomancy from him, but I can't be sure that he hasn't.
Regarding SA events but not a spoiler, just tagged because the contents make your spoiler clear: Keep an eye out for people's emotions before and after they speak with Hoid, going forward.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Secret Projects ranking chat -

I think everyone agrees that Low Rent Mostly Harmless was a miss, and I was really on board with Yumi and Tress (Yumi slightly higher, it just felt better paced over all)

Sunlit Man left me feeling weird though, as I'm not remotely caught up on the entire Cosmere. It felt like I was reading spoilers for stuff that I know hasn't been written, but wasn't really sure it hasn't the entire time somehow? Even with that tucked in the back of my mind while reading, still enjoyed it greatly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah the bits of the future Sunlit Man does reveal are very crazy [all cosmere spoilers]

- like Sig uses a Dawnshard and maybe he saves a lot of people on Roshar in some way? but also it sucks extremely bad; this seems like book 5
- still, decades in the future people he loves still are on roshar and he doesn't go back because he doesn't want to lead the night brigade to them, all is not lost there
- at some point well after stormlight 5, he becomes a skybreaker, but aux is cool and it seems like highspren stop exclusively following nale's insanity
- at some point "walks away" from his oaths, seems like this might be post-freeing-BAM where it no longer fucks the spren over if you stop being a Radiant

this is way out there but i increasingly wonder about how much we've been told about Ishar's leading his people away from an apocalypse via Big loving Magic and whether that might be setting up some parallel. perhaps Odium "wins" in some sense but between bondsmiths and at least one Dawnshard, potentially two (which we still don't know about -- but Rysn's got one that's about Change and Sig/Hoid has one that's about preservation/nonviolence) they're able to move dalinar's rosharans somewhere else while an odium (or odium+honor or some other craziness) faction remains on roshar

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 13, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pointlessone posted:

I think everyone agrees that Low Rent Mostly Harmless was a miss
I thought it was fun and cute. They don't all have to be epics.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

I thought it was fun and cute. They don't all have to be epics.

Yeah I enjoyed it, it was fun.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

And then there was Spook. Again. Of course Kelsier talked to him not once, but twice. (I am not, and have never been, a Spook fan.) I guess Kelsier used Hemalurgy to give himself a body? I'm not sure about the implications of that, or even how that works specifically, but I was definitely hoping for more of that here. Maybe that comes later, the postscript mentioned the possibility of a Secret History 2 and 3. I'm also curious about the hints about what he's been up to in the Wax & Wayne books, beyond the obvious ones like the one eyed depiction of his new/old body and having helped out the Southerners.

Progress so far:

Secret History spoilers: I wasn't spoiled on the fact that Kelsier survived, but after reading SH, I reread Alloy of Law, where Marsh says to Marasi that he hasn't revealed himself to Wax because Wax was liable to shoot him but that "he [Wax] is doing my brother's work". When I first read Alloy of Law, I took this to mean Wax was doing things that Kelsier would have approved of, but that sentence took on a totally new meaning after SH.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CapnAndy posted:

Regarding SA events but not a spoiler, just tagged because the contents make your spoiler clear: Keep an eye out for people's emotions before and after they speak with Hoid, going forward.

That does make sense. There's a few interactions in Stormlight that I'm going to reread now with that in mind.

Torrannor posted:

Secret History spoilers: I wasn't spoiled on the fact that Kelsier survived, but after reading SH, I reread Alloy of Law, where Marsh says to Marasi that he hasn't revealed himself to Wax because Wax was liable to shoot him but that "he [Wax] is doing my brother's work". When I first read Alloy of Law, I took this to mean Wax was doing things that Kelsier would have approved of, but that sentence took on a totally new meaning after SH.

Secret History/Alloy of Law: Ooh that's cool. I wonder how direct that connection is between Kelsier and Wax. Shame Marsh hasn't been around to tell us more. Please Marsh, come back.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

eke out posted:

(or odium+honor or some other craziness)

Pretty sure this is going to be a thing -- odium + honor = war, per RoW and (Warbreaker spoilers) Vasher is a Returned named *Warbreaker* who is chilling on Roshar, and we know the Returned's names are prescient

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

soap. posted:

(Warbreaker spoilers) Vasher is a Returned named *Warbreaker* who is chilling on Roshar, and we know the Returned's names are prescient

We already know why he's named warbreaker though

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Listening to the Way of Kings audiobook is like the portion of a cross country road trip when you hit Texas.

It's not a completely unpleasant experience but the exciting bits are few and far between and you spend most of your time trying to not be bored.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

soap. posted:

Pretty sure this is going to be a thing -- odium + honor = war, per RoW[/spoiler]

yeah it's definitely going to be a thing in some way, just exactly how is open for debate since brandon is tricky and there's a lot of weird possibilities -- [all cosmere spoilers] hard to imagine anyone but Dalinar being able to reform Honor, hard to imagine him actively losing to Odium if he did do that, and hard to imagine him willingly picking up Odium if he did win

but, at the same time, sure looks like Roshar in the future is launching an intergalactic colonial empire, so something big changes

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

eke out posted:

yeah it's definitely going to be a thing in some way, just exactly how is open for debate since brandon is tricky and there's a lot of weird possibilities -- [all cosmere spoilers] hard to imagine anyone but Dalinar being able to reform Honor, hard to imagine him actively losing to Odium if he did do that, and hard to imagine him willingly picking up Odium if he did win

but, at the same time, sure looks like Roshar in the future is launching an intergalactic colonial empire, so something big changes

Cosmere/shard speculation: if Odium + Honor = War, War + Cultivation = Colonization?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I will be deeply unhappy if Roshar ends up as the baddies. They're cooler than Scadrial, fight me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I will be deeply unhappy if Roshar ends up as the baddies. They're cooler than Scadrial, fight me.

after the sunlit man i think i like the threnodites more than rosharans or scadrians

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
All cosmere spoilers

eke out posted:

could you please elaborate on this? I’m a casual reader but I’ve read everything and I’m not sure where this is coming from… I’m sure I’m just forgetting something or not making a connection!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

zombienietzsche posted:

All cosmere spoilers

could you please elaborate on this? I’m a casual reader but I’ve read everything and I’m not sure where this is coming from… I’m sure I’m just forgetting something or not making a connection!

this story he read as a teaser from the sequel to Sixth of Dusk: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/448-row-release-party/

and then various minor allusions in the handful of recent future-cosmere stuff. but mostly the story above, in terms of concrete stuff

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Thanks for sharing!

Brando Sando posted:

So if you are worried about space age of the cosmere being spoiled for you, I might recommend waiting for fifteen years before you read this.

lol

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

mewse posted:

after the sunlit man i think i like the threnodites more than rosharans or scadrians

I suspect they are, like all people, a broad spectrum of good to bad. For instance, The Night Brigade also appears to be made up of threnodites who will do whatever they're paid to do, and it's implied many times they commit atrocities.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

eke out posted:

this story he read as a teaser from the sequel to Sixth of Dusk: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/448-row-release-party/
I've never actually read that before. Extremely interesting that they meet a Skybreaker, of all the orders. And extremely worrisome that he talks of being allowed to fight alongside them to "gain status and elevation" -- that's Fused poo poo right there, it certainly sounds like Odium's left a permanent mark on their society.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

big mean giraffe posted:

We already know why he's named warbreaker though

Yes, but what about a second Warbreaking?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Cosmere/shard speculation: if Odium + Honor = War, War + Cultivation = Colonization?

Conquest

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

You also start getting really close to civilization in the most basic terms

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I've never actually read that before. Extremely interesting that they meet a Skybreaker, of all the orders. And extremely worrisome that he talks of being allowed to fight alongside them to "gain status and elevation" -- that's Fused poo poo right there, it certainly sounds like Odium's left a permanent mark on their society.

More importantly, that Skybreaker is tall and speaks to rhythms like a Parshendi

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Calidus posted:

You also start getting really close to civilization in the most basic terms

Sid Meier holds that shard

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Slanderer posted:

More importantly, that Skybreaker is tall and speaks to rhythms like a Parshendi
Ehhh, neither of those are conclusive. Everyone on Roshar is tall; if anything, 7 feet is more likely to be human than Parshendi. And the description of their speech doesn't specifically mention rhythm, just the normal "gosh that is strange but I can't place why" reaction everyone gets to a Worldhopper. In any case, I'd expect future Rosharan humans to be speaking to the rhythms no matter what happens, now that Navani's proven they can do it and they're going to have a lot more contact and intermixing with Singer culture.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

WS Omnibus Prologue and Book 1

I don't read many graphic novels, but I like the way this one is setup. The Ars Arcanum is split up, some pages are at the beginning, then some are in among the various books and chapters, and I think more at the end. Probably a result of the original WS publication methods. I really don't see why the novels can't do this too, I mean the sketches in the Stormlight books are similar, if less directly useful.

The prologue (which might be new for the Omnibus?) mentions a few interesting things, like magic users on the dark side called "starcarved", I assume named for the systems second star? I haven't seen them again but want to for sure. The most interesting thing is how adamant Khriss and her companions seem to be that there hasn't been any trade between the day side and dark side, which is instantly proven wrong. Kenton is even mixed race, which I assume will eventually be important.

Kenton aces his test, gets a perfect 6 out of 5 spheres, and kills a legally distinct sandworm (though vaguely similar to a Chasmfiend with the claws) right before all hell breaks loose. Some dipshit with a cyberpunk haircut (Drile) gets demoted and Kenton gets his sash and suddenly some Kertzain's are killing a bunch of magic users. I still haven't figured this out, though Kenton later theorizes that something was in the water and Drile is behind it. I kinda like that theory, and don't understand Sand Mastery enough to argue against it, but holy poo poo I hope someone finds another Sandling to eat Drile while he slowly shrinks into a corn cob.

Khriss and Kenton meeting up was cool, but Kenton deliberately not asking even a single question that would make them realize she was essentially looking for him was a bit Robert Jordan-esque. Effectively communication? Not in my Wheel of TimeCosmere!

The Kertzian's attack again, and in general seem to have weapons possibly given to them by the Dyansty. I'm fairly sure that the Dynasty knows about the Sand Masters and would like them taken out since they're probably a threat to the Dynasty taking over the day side. Basically the same reason Khriss wants to meet them. Shame they got defeated by the mysterious power of "gun".

I am curious what Drile's plan was before Kenton showed up. He supposedly wanted to be Lord Mastrell, but also wanted to turn the Sand Masters into a bunch of profiteering mercenaries. I feel like he's tied into this Dynasty/Kertzain plot, but would have maybe been disposed of after he succeeded. I'm also fairly sure some of the other Lords have been paid off, given how strongly they felt about kicking the Sand Lords when they were basically down and out already.

Kenton then puts his golden sash on and immediately can control three ribbons, which seemed impossible "unless--" according to Drile. I want to know what that "unless" was!! I'm also expecting Kenton to gain more ribbons as the story goes on. Either way this seems very cool for Kenton.

The Lord Beggar looks like a mummy, creepy as gently caress. I don't like him.

Ais, who is a cop of Lossand, looks like she's Kertzain. And Kenton's friend Aarik saves her? I assume she'll end up thinking Kenton is cool by the end of this. This also feels like a "building the party" moment, especially since Khriss makes it back to Kenton to find out he's the Lord Mastrell. I'm hoping we get some insights into how Khriss went from Duchess Khrissalla to the Cosmere aware traveler that she is. I am also interested in Ais and Aarik, especially when Ais goes to join the crew and sees him there, after he saved her.

So far I do think this story loses a bit since it's a graphic novel. I like the art and seeing what's going on, the Sand Mastery is visually interesting, but I feel like a better story could be told in prose. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back and read the (admittedly non-canon) prose version, but I'm curious what might be in there that isn't here.

Progress so far:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Finished secret project 4 and now my most anticipated cosmere novel is whichever one tells me more about what happens with Sigzil after this one and that probably won't come out for a decade or more :smith:

I really enjoyed all 4 secret projects. I'd probably rate them 1->4->3->2 but it's really close been the cosmere ones. I enjoyed 2 but not on the same level as the others

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Finished secret project 4 and now my most anticipated cosmere novel is whichever one tells me more about what happens with Sigzil after this one and that probably won't come out for a decade or more :smith:

I really enjoyed all 4 secret projects. I'd probably rate them 1->4->3->2 but it's really close been the cosmere ones. I enjoyed 2 but not on the same level as the others

I haven't heard anyone say that 2 was their favorite. I'm positive that this will make someone speak up that it is their favorite, but I certainly don't have any plans to re-read it.

I need to re-read Yumi and Tress to be sure, but I think I liked Yumi more, if only because Hoid's particular voice doesn't dominate it as strongly. I adore Hoid in small doses, but he tends to consume everything when he's around. That's fine when he's a side character or a cameo, but it's very, very noticeable when he's the narrator.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Listening to the Way of Kings audiobook is like the portion of a cross country road trip when you hit Texas.

It's not a completely unpleasant experience but the exciting bits are few and far between and you spend most of your time trying to not be bored.

This is kind of how I’ve felt about all the Stormlight books. There’s way too much real estate and that allows all of Sanderson’s worst traits as a writer to be on full display (and distracts from the stuff he’s great at).

It feels like a vision of how bad RJ would have been if he didn’t have an aggressive editor (Harriet) reining him in.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 16, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

It feels like a vision of how bad RJ would have been if he didn’t have an aggressive editor (Harriet) reining him in.

He hasn't written anything as miserable as Crossroads of Twilight

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

He hasn't written anything as miserable as Crossroads of Twilight

Or, arguably, anything as good as The Shadow Rising or Fires of Heaven!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I think his mid-length works are superior. There is something to be said for brevity. They are a little more focused when he doesn't have thousands of pages to ramble on. That said, I do still enjoy the Stormlight books. The Sunlit Man is now a top five Sanderson book, for me.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Oasx posted:

I got the impression that most people loved Tress, but I also thought I was the only one who really hated Yumi.
Maybe I will like Yumi better whenever I do a re-read, but overall I was very happy with backing the project, and there seems to be something for everyone.

You're not alone. I did not like Yumi. Still better than Frugal Wizard but I had issues with it.

mewse posted:

I was surprised with #3 that Sanderson tackled a romance - which isn't usually in his wheelhouse, and I think that could contribute to a Sanderson fan rejecting it.

Yeah. I'm not a romance reader by any stretch of the imagination and I've cut him quite a bit of slack for the romances that he does have in his other books but Yumi was just so many levels of cringe with respect to the romance bits and to top it all off, he recycled things he had already done before and I found that Hoid's voice, while much less present than it was in Tress, was still irritating when you mashed it with all of the constant Cosmere crossover references.

Leng posted:

It was fine but also had the most menwritingwomen moments that I ever recall seeing in a Sanderson book. The worst was the bra shopping scene which was something that I did not expect I would ever be writing in a reaction to a Sanderson book. Good on him for trying to expand his writing horizons but I really don't want to read that (or anything like that) again.

It's narrated in the same style as Tress, albeit Hoid has a much more passive role in the narrative so if you enjoyed that aspect of the prose, then you'll enjoy this too. Same with the amount of Cosmere crossover mentions. I know he was upfront that he was going to do more of that going forward and I was reserving judgment to see how it would play out in The Lost Metal and subsequent releases, and now, 3 Cosmere books later, I think I'm landing on the side of "I am not enjoying this" even as someone who's read all of the Cosmere. It's different when we have characters who are in the know about the Cosmere and you can see the machinations playing out e.g. The Lost Metal spoilers the Kelsier/Sazed epilogue was great but when we've got scenes with worldhoppers interacting with non-worldhopper POV characters and constantly dropping overt Cosmere references that make no sense to anybody other than a Cosmere-aware reader and the viewpoint characters constantly hanging a lantern on it with "worldhopper is weird" or "I have no idea what you're talking about" it gets old real quick.

There were also retreads of stuff he's already done before, the most egregious being Yumi's opening chapter being repeated almost word for word to reinforce the concept that she's been reliving the same day over and over with her memory erased the way that Rhythm of War spoilers Hoid's epilogue had the "rewind" to show Taravodium messing with his memories.

World building, plot, and set piece moments are still cool though. And the art is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. If you didn't back a print edition, read this in .PDF on the biggest screen you have to fully appreciate it.

The Sunlit Man was also...fine. I don't know; the more Cosmere crossover heavy everything gets, the more I find I'm disliking the way he incorporates the crossovers into the narratives now that it's all coming into the foreground. Depending on how Stormlight 5 goes, I may actually tap out after that one if I'm not enjoying his stuff as much anymore. Maybe I've read too much Sanderson by now because I'm finding that in all of his shorter works, I can see through to the scaffolding underneath and since the prose isn't anything to write home about, everything has got to work a lot harder for the book to wow me and so far, I'd say the last...6 Sanderson releases (including the secret projects) haven't really done that for me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

WS Omnibus Book 2 & 3

I think the presence of Khriss made me think this book was doing to be different than it was. I was expecting more of her story leading up to the point where she stepped into the greater Cosmere community. This story was about Kenton and him saving the Sand Masters from... a lot of people actually. Even though it was never outright addressed, I think the Dynasty has its claws around the Kerztain people and sees the Sand Masters as a threat. The Kerztain empire/people/whatever had several people, including Elorin, trying to undermine the Sand Masters. At least Drile turned out OK in the end? Let's just forget he wanted to run the Sand Masters as mercenaries.

Honestly, a lot of the characters, including most of the other Lords, are just outright dicks. Including Kenton's father, the old Sand Lord. Honestly I'm pretty ok with the Lord General dying, though it sucks that Aarik seems to have lost himself in taking up the role. There's so many more stories to be told here, from Aarik, to what Khriss gets up to after she goes back to the dark side of the planet, to Ais and her continuing crisis of faith, to motherfucking TRELL just showing up in one scene?

Let me talk about Trell, he seems to just be some guy? He's not even especially important in his own life, he's just a worker or something? But if he somehow ascended into Autonomy, that would me that the shard we see in the Wax and Wayne series is Autonomy. I can see that making sense, because what does Paalm want but autonomy from Harmony? I'm sure there's a million theories about this Trell here, and I can't wait to get exactly zero answers about him from The Lost Metal in a few months.

I definitely didn't see the Lord Beggar being Gevalden, but the clues were definitely there looking back. I'm glad Khriss figured it out at least, and it also explains why his face is covered, but that's a pretty lovely excuse to fake his own death and forsake his goal, even if he thinks the Sand Masters are a bunch of useless shitheads (they were, I guess). And then Baon proves to be an amazingly talented Sand Master on the boat ride back to the dark side. That's another story to be told, with him being a Dynasty agent. But instead the book just ended, lol.

Overall this story was not my favorite, but that was mostly because I wanted more about Khriss out of it. There's also so much more to tell here that I didn't get, and probably never will. I guess that's OK, but I'm hopeful the Cosmere's story returns to Taldain in some way in the future.

Arcanum Unbounded System Essays

The Arcanum Unbounded essay confirms that Autonomy is the shard here, though the essay doesn't give much information about the dark side or its magic much like the graphic novel. It does, however, tell us that Autonomy's policy of isolationism prevents travel to the system now, which could explain Khriss' claim to be in exile. I first thought it might be exile from the 17th Shard, but now it may be her home planet. Khriss also calls Autonomy "she" in the system essay, matching the face in the clouds in the sky, but if Trell ascended into this shard, that character was definitely male in this story.

The other essays were interesting, mostly that there's no shard in the Drominad system, despite there being Investiture an a system of magic. The Threnodite system had Ambition, but Odium shattered it "in a different location". There being multiple habitable planets in both the Drominad system and Rosharan system is interesting, with a fully spren planet in Braize, which is a very similar name to Mraize. Interestingly, the name Braize comes up exactly once in Words of Radiance, as another name for Damnation, where spren seem to live. Interestingly, Ashyn seems to more fit with "that place" that the Heralds have to return to between Desolations, since Ashyn is all fire and brimstone, while Braize is cold and inhospitable.

On to Edgedancer and then Oathbringer, Dawnshard, and Rhythm of War! So much loving Stormlight Archives, I'm pumped.

Progress so far:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I've never read White Sands because I don't have much interest in a graphic novel. Can someone tell me, full Cosmere spoilers, what the deal actually is with the Trell pik was talking about? Avatar of Autonomy he didn't peg as such, coincidental name?

Also, pik, Edgedancer is fun, hope you like Lift. Because if you don't we can't be friends.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I've never read White Sands because I don't have much interest in a graphic novel. Can someone tell me, full Cosmere spoilers, what the deal actually is with the Trell pik was talking about? Avatar of Autonomy he didn't peg as such, coincidental name?

Also, pik, Edgedancer is fun, hope you like Lift. Because if you don't we can't be friends.

iirc that's about as good of a guess as any and it's unconfirmed, the wob is that there's some connection between the Guy Named Trell and Autonomy but it's 'obtuse.' it seems like that person really is Just Some Guy -- maybe he's named after someone who became an Avatar (like the thousands of people named "Jesus" for instance) or he eventually becomes an Avatar, I think the only thing we can concretely say is that he's clearly not Autonomy herself

my actual take: brandon wrote that poo poo a long time ago and figured out how he wants to handle autonomy/avatars at a later time lol. he also seeded it into mistborn with Trellagism so he had some kind of long game, but i don't think he really had a plan until more recently

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Everyone gathers around, trying to figure out what's up with this hispanic guy called 'Jesus'.