Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Every part of Ghosts, really. You have to do the entry opening process 4 times. Ecthar takes too many cycles. Simmamu takes too many cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

MJeff posted:

There's a handful of encounters in Destiny 2 endgame that go into "yeah, I get it." territory where the mechanic itself is entirely fine, but it overstays its welcome by like two or three rounds.

Crown of Sorrow opening is the main culprit I always think of for this.

What was the crown of sorrow opening? All I really remember is the boss fight.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

Every part of Ghosts, really. You have to do the entry opening process 4 times. Ecthar takes too many cycles. Simmamu takes too many cycles.

Yeah, Ghosts reeks of them listening to people complaining about the game being too easy. The bosses have way too much loving health and Ecthar's adds spawn in comically fast.

The traversal section between opening and Ecthar was a cool set piece the first time, but is tedious as poo poo to do each time.

and I just can't get over them only further asserting the dominance of Well with the boss design. I will not stop banging the drum of "I dont think they're actually trying to design around well" It's just got the most "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas" and I absolutely dread the day they decide to nerf well and not rebalance previous encounters.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

The traversal section between opening and Ecthar was a cool set piece the first time, but is tedious as poo poo to do each time.

Whole section needs a “congrats you’ve done this plenty here’s a shortcut” option.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whole section needs a “congrats you’ve done this plenty here’s a shortcut” option.

Monkey's paw curls:

Underwater sparrows now exist, including one named "Technically on Schedule" which is faster than the others. The shortcut is full of taken phalanx that never stop booping.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, Ghosts reeks of them listening to people complaining about the game being too easy. The bosses have way too much loving health and Ecthar's adds spawn in comically fast.

and I just can't get over them only further asserting the dominance of Well with the boss design. I will not stop banging the drum of "I dont think they're actually trying to design around well" It's just got the most "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas" and I absolutely dread the day they decide to nerf well and not rebalance previous encounters.

Agreed 100%. Bosses with huge piles of hit points combined with constant attacks during dps phases makes it clear they're encouraging well usage, whether they realize it or not.

They've already figured out one counter to Well, with the last boss of Prophecy. They could also try making an end game boss encounter that doesn't follow the narrow formula of "5 minutes of mechanics for 30 seconds of damage". They are encouraging us to squeeze as much damage into those 30 second windows as possible, and Well is the most obviously good super for that situation.

They could make a boss that's vulnerable for the entire fight, but starts out with 99% damage resistance. During the encounter the fireteam could perform various mechanics to decrease that resistance and prevent wipes. In a fight like that, Well would still be useful, but not mandatory, since there's no specific spot where you have to optimize the poo poo out of your dps.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I did Ghosts three times, its just too long and too much of a slog to be something I’ll try and farm. But in general unless you are prepared to play a huge amount or have a large pool of fellow players, farming in Destiny sucks, perk pools are too big, so drops mostly suck which is why everyone wants to craft stuff instead.

I’ll also pile in on tiny damage phases and Bungie getting shirty about everyone focusing on weapons that max damage in a tiny window. This is the meta you have created, why are you annoyed at me for trying to play the game the way you have designed it?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

PathAsc posted:

Monkey's paw curls:

Underwater sparrows now exist, including one named "Technically on Schedule" which is faster than the others. The shortcut is full of taken phalanx that never stop booping.

Letting us get our sparrows out during that specific underwater traversal section would be a bad time without adding anything at all, and qualifies as a monkeys paw by itself

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i've been playin destiny since d1, but always solo. I need destiny friends. i've soloed dungeons and poo poo but I've never raided. please befriend me.

Pacific*Trillium#7677

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Is there an article somewhere that lists all the raid chests that can be accessed solo? I can google individual raids, but I'm hoping there's one that just consolidates it all into one location.

... that's not a video

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

death cob for cutie posted:

Is there an article somewhere that lists all the raid chests that can be accessed solo? I can google individual raids, but I'm hoping there's one that just consolidates it all into one location.

... that's not a video

every information is a video thats 10minutes long to appease the Algorithm

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

... that's not a video

you can find my post about the first last wish chest upthread. you can also oob/cheese to the second ("morgeth") one but it's finicky. drops everything but the exotic and cosmetics, including red frames. no spoils.

you can get to the first vow chest by killing the first round of ogres and shooting the three doodads. it won't drop anything if you've never done the raid but i think you still get spoils.

you can get to the first DSC chest solo but i don't think it drops anything if you've never cleared the raid, not even spoils. bungie killed that because we were farming the poo poo out of it when the no-frostbite cheese was around

there's an oob path to the area containing the VoG entry chest and first secret chest. you'd need a video for that either way, it takes several minutes and trial and error. drops spoils but nothing you haven't gotten from the raid.

the first crota secret chest is also soloable but you have to get past the opening plate mechanic which i think has to be at least duo'd. ask for an "abyss" checkpoint in discord maybe? drops spoils but nothing you haven't gotten from the raid. bring an eager edge sword.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Buce posted:

i've been playin destiny since d1, but always solo. I need destiny friends. i've soloed dungeons and poo poo but I've never raided. please befriend me.

Pacific*Trillium#7677

Join the Overchill Discord linked at the top of the first post. Lots of people who run raid and dungeons, and are happy to teach people new to them.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

PERMACAV 50 posted:

you can find my post about the first last wish chest upthread. you can also oob/cheese to the second ("morgeth") one but it's finicky. drops everything but the exotic and cosmetics, including red frames. no spoils.

you can get to the first vow chest by killing the first round of ogres and shooting the three doodads. it won't drop anything if you've never done the raid but i think you still get spoils.

you can get to the first DSC chest solo but i don't think it drops anything if you've never cleared the raid, not even spoils. bungie killed that because we were farming the poo poo out of it when the no-frostbite cheese was around

there's an oob path to the area containing the VoG entry chest and first secret chest. you'd need a video for that either way, it takes several minutes and trial and error. drops spoils but nothing you haven't gotten from the raid.

the first crota secret chest is also soloable but you have to get past the opening plate mechanic which i think has to be at least duo'd. ask for an "abyss" checkpoint in discord maybe? drops spoils but nothing you haven't gotten from the raid. bring an eager edge sword.

good enough for telling me which ones I shouldn't bother with. also lead me to discover this, which,

PERMACAV 50 posted:

anyone who still has a twitter account should take a spin through the quote tweets, dude is getting absolutely COOKED

eta: stop stop he's already dead
https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1688324301361938433?s=20

incredible LMAO at the idea of bungie having 800 competent computer-touchers dedicated to D2

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Easy:
Vow: 1 chest. Kill the abominations in the first area but don't move the cart and you can just hit the switches and make your way to the chest.
DSC: 1 chest. Just do the sparrow section as normal, it's easy enough to do solo.
LW: 2 chests. Wish to Morgeth, sword / dawnblade fly back across the chasm and backtrack to the second secret chest. Then you can either OOB and trek back to the first secret chest, but IMO it's easier to just reset the instance and wish to Shuro Chi to reach it.

Medium/requires help:
Crota: 1 chest. Needs two people for the opening unless you can find a checkpoint for Abyss, but after that just eager edge / grapple your way along the left wall to the chest. You have plenty of time before the wipe timer kills you.
VoG: 1 chest. Requires a somewhat tricky OOB glitch to solo, but you can do the opening encounter with just 3 people which gives you the encounter chest as well. (You can in theory solo the opening encounter but it's finicky.)

Tricky:
RoN: 1 chest. Get a checkpoint for Nezarec and backtrack to the chest in Cataclysm. It's a long run. This requires some OOB movement and load zone fuckery. I haven't tried this one myself.
GoS has 2 chests that can be reached solo as well but both require some load zone fuckery that I haven't been able to pull off.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 16, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

... that's not a video

Others are posting good info but I just wanna add one specific thing because I don't see enough people taking advantage of it.

Join on SpoilsXpress#1885 to go to a post-Templar check point of Vault of Glass. This will let you access all four Vault chests, which is 4 drops and 20 spoils of conquest. No combat necessary but you will have to back track for the first two, open the secret chest for Gorgon's Labyrinth and then finish Gorgon's Labyrinth.

This is 60 free spoils every week, everybody should be doing this.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ponzicar posted:

Join the Overchill Discord linked at the top of the first post. Lots of people who run raid and dungeons, and are happy to teach people new to them.

I second this! I've asked for assistance a handful of times for dungeons and other activities. Lots of talented and patient folks who are very happy to help

That's how I finally got gjallarhorn last week :coal:

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

MJeff posted:

Others are posting good info but I just wanna add one specific thing because I don't see enough people taking advantage of it.

Join on SpoilsXpress#1885 to go to a post-Templar check point of Vault of Glass. This will let you access all four Vault chests, which is 4 drops and 20 spoils of conquest. No combat necessary but you will have to back track for the first two, open the secret chest for Gorgon's Labyrinth and then finish Gorgon's Labyrinth.

This sounds like an incredibly tedious task, in a game that by now is exclusively tedious tasks

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
It would take like ten minutes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
One other good way to get raid spoils, is from Raiding

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Panderfringe posted:

This sounds like an incredibly tedious task, in a game that by now is exclusively tedious tasks

Speaking of exclusively tedious.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/d2clarity/status/1713968367814529200?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought you couldn't get secret chests from checkpoints? Or I guess im just thinking about how the chests despawn after being opened, so you cant hold instances for very long without a fresh checkpoint?

Also, the VoG one is, backtrack for secret chest #1, do gorgon maze secret for #2, and then proceed past maze for #3? Where does the 4th one come in?

No way the average person is doing that all in 10 minutes, the secret chest in the gorgon maze is a pain in the dick. It's cool to know this is all possible solo for those who like that sort of thing.

Collateral Damage posted:

Easy:
Vow: 1 chest. Kill the abominations in the first area but don't move the cart and you can just hit the switches and make your way to the chest.

You dont even need to kill the aboms, you can just race past and occasionally die to the darkness debuff cause it will just respawn you about where you died. When I do the run I usually only die twice, which is probably less then I do trying to take out the aboms with little to no ammo.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

One other good way to get raid spoils, is from Raiding

This is how I prefer to do it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oxyclean posted:

I thought you couldn't get secret chests from checkpoints? Or I guess im just thinking about how the chests despawn after being opened, so you cant hold instances for very long without a fresh checkpoint?

Also, the VoG one is, backtrack for secret chest #1, do gorgon maze secret for #2, and then proceed past maze for #3? Where does the 4th one come in?

Backtrack to the door for chest 1 (I think this requires strand), take the secret route to Templar for chest 2, gorgon maze chest 3, proceed past maze to the door before Gatekeepers for chest 4.

Also for the Vow chest, dunno what other people have done but I've found success using Two Tailed Fox. It deals with the super tanky Aspect of Savathun quite nicely and if you mix in a bit of sniper fire, you'll have enough rockets to deal with the Abominations too.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

PERMACAV 50 posted:

It would take like ten minutes.

The thought of double clicking the destiny 2 icon already makes me feel bored. I cannot fathom spending 10 minutes in it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Panderfringe posted:

The thought of double clicking the destiny 2 icon already makes me feel bored. I cannot fathom spending 10 minutes in it.

take this type of poo poo over to Reddit where they like it

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

ponzicar posted:

will do

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Oxyclean posted:

No way the average person is doing that all in 10 minutes, the secret chest in the gorgon maze is a pain in the dick.

Ok yeah I haven’t set foot in VoG past the first secret chest in… a real long time so I had totally forgotten about the shoot-the-cubes part

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Hope the Hallowen event is fun this year :unsmith:.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Get lost, Pandercringe.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Get lost, Pandercringe.

yeah that showed them!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

MJeff posted:

Are there any videos showing the back tracking for those of us that haven't done VoG since destiny 1?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Get lost, Pandercringe.

Read this in Ghost's voice

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RBA Starblade posted:

Read this in Ghost's voice

I will read it in Ghost trying to be Drifter voice.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Goofball chores are figured out

https://twitter.com/DestinyBulletn/status/1714425275189227566?s=20

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 18, 2023

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

It'd be super cool if the Event Card quest to get the Tormentor mask wasn't bugged, because i've knocked out the other two objectives but i'm still at 0/100 Headless Ones despite killing over 30 of the fuckers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, I miss Infinite Forest. It was a good idea they just never iterated on.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, I miss Infinite Forest. It was a good idea they just never iterated on.

I do too. It felt different eaxh time, even if it was probably just an illusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

T1g4h posted:

It'd be super cool if the Event Card quest to get the Tormentor mask wasn't bugged, because i've knocked out the other two objectives but i'm still at 0/100 Headless Ones despite killing over 30 of the fuckers.

This is only progressing in Legend Haunted Sectors right now

Incidentally, legend lost sectors are way too hard to do more than the bare minimum