Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There's a guy in the unit down the hall that started Army and went Marines because he couldn't go on deployment often enough. Marines wouldn't keep him overseas enough, either, so he joined the Navy Reserve to just Keep Going On MOB with whatever seabee unit is going out now.

He plans on retiring at 38 with so much money in the bank he'll never work again. Apparently being overseas from 18-38 doing Army/Marine/Seabee stuff is worth it.

Yeah but if he is a reservist he isn't gonna get paid until he's 60ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

There's a guy in the unit down the hall that started Army and went Marines because he couldn't go on deployment often enough. Marines wouldn't keep him overseas enough, either, so he joined the Navy Reserve to just Keep Going On MOB with whatever seabee unit is going out now.

He plans on retiring at 38 with so much money in the bank he'll never work again. Apparently being overseas from 18-38 doing Army/Marine/Seabee stuff is worth it.

Sounds about right. There’s ways to making it work.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nick Soapdish posted:

Yeah but if he is a reservist he isn't gonna get paid until he's 60ish

His plan is to activate for his last two years directly into a sea tour. His TSP account is fully bonkers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

His plan is to activate for his last two years directly into a sea tour. His TSP account is fully bonkers.

Navy doesn’t like to let you do that. Guard will though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Army -> Marines doesn’t happen all that often because USMC makes all other service enlisted go through boot camp and will only make them an E-2 after graduating.

Why would you give up whatever rank you earned in another branch of service and subject yourself to another basic training pipeline when you could just transfer to another branch of service and avoid all that bullshit?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Hekk posted:

Army -> Marines doesn’t happen all that often because USMC makes all other service enlisted go through boot camp and will only make them an E-2 after graduating.

Why would you give up whatever rank you earned in another branch of service and subject yourself to another basic training pipeline when you could just transfer to another branch of service and avoid all that bullshit?

Because the EGA adds inches to your dick.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I'm no admin person just a Chief that dealt with a lot of dumb poo poo before I tapped out but if he is truly a reservist and not AD or FTS/TAR/AGR/whatever other active but reserve poo poo, he is gonna get presented with a P13 that says "yo, you're entering sanctuary but you cannot do that," and then told don't do any active time until you hit 20 years and can retire.

I wish him the best of luck in trying to game the system, truly I do, but I've seen a number of them try it and fall flat on their face. But hey, what do I know, I've been out for 3 years and didn't know Israel moved from EUCOM to CENTCOM which I can't imagine made the Israelis happy to move to as I was told by an Israeli officer "the Arab command"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

Because the EGA adds inches to your dick.

on account of getting barrel-checked by doc every time you come back from libo

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a venereal disease it would have issued you one.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

orange juche posted:

on account of getting barrel-checked by doc every time you come back from libo

Look, its a very sound scientific idea.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm no admin person just a Chief that dealt with a lot of dumb poo poo before I tapped out but if he is truly a reservist and not AD or FTS/TAR/AGR/whatever other active but reserve poo poo, he is gonna get presented with a P13 that says "yo, you're entering sanctuary but you cannot do that," and then told don't do any active time until you hit 20 years and can retire.

I wish him the best of luck in trying to game the system, truly I do, but I've seen a number of them try it and fall flat on their face. But hey, what do I know, I've been out for 3 years and didn't know Israel moved from EUCOM to CENTCOM which I can't imagine made the Israelis happy to move to as I was told by an Israeli officer "the Arab command"

I never said it was gonna work, just that it was his plan. Apparently "I was active already" means it's some kind of easy-mode to go BACK to active. I try not to get stuck next to him in the chow line anymore because it's conspiracy theory sea lawyer at 10000 RPM nonstop.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I never said it was gonna work, just that it was his plan. Apparently "I was active already" means it's some kind of easy-mode to go BACK to active. I try not to get stuck next to him in the chow line anymore because it's conspiracy theory sea lawyer at 10000 RPM nonstop.

That's fair, I think we've all had someone like that in our work center

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1714237120796144084

Looking back to post-9/11, I would like to know the comically low percentage of big decks that actually departed and returned as scheduled. I know when I did my Bataan afloat in 2011-12, we left early due to Arab Spring and Libya and returned on the scheduled time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

That's fair, I think we've all had someone like that in our work center

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1714237120796144084

Looking back to post-9/11, I would like to know the comically low percentage of big decks that actually departed and returned as scheduled. I know when I did my Bataan afloat in 2011-12, we left early due to Arab Spring and Libya and returned on the scheduled time.

When I was with Kearsarge in 2005, our deployment went as schedule. Same on Reagan 2006, but this was followed by a surprise 90 day deployment at the start of 2007.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Speaking of Reagan, we were moored in Pearl Harbor the night of the Fukushima earthquake on our way back from Deployment 2. Woke up the next morning and everyone assumed we were getting extended. The deployments before and after I was on board were 10 months.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ok looks like I’m gonna be in Hawaii for all of Jan and the first half of Feb.

Hit me up if you like to swap stories with a fat old kinda-sailor.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Speaking of Reagan, we were moored in Pearl Harbor the night of the Fukushima earthquake on our way back from Deployment 2. Woke up the next morning and everyone assumed we were getting extended. The deployments before and after I was on board were 10 months.

This isn't an attempt at a burn, but what would a CVN have to offer in a disaster like Fukushima that something like a hospital ship, supply ship, crane barge, or floating dry dock wouldn't offer?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
A CVN is an incredible piece of SAR, Disaster relief, and emergency coordination manpower. It's an airstrip, a power plant, a fresh water source, a decontamination station, and a communications hub all in one.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

M_Gargantua posted:

a power plant,

Ironic.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Ok looks like I’m gonna be in Hawaii for all of Jan and the first half of Feb.

Hit me up if you like to swap stories with a fat old kinda-sailor.

I would pay your bar tab just to hear you talk for three hours.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I was on 76 for the Fukushima response as a rider out of Pearl harbor.

I thought they caught it heading out to a Westpac but honestly I might have my disaster responses mixed up with the other earthquake on Vinson

Edit: aside from signing the thing did they ever tell you nobles how much radiation we absorbed?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I believe the official response was "less than ambient levels" which I called bullshit on immediately.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I got called into the wardroom on 21 because my quarterly rad levels were too high. Lots of questions asked and apparently "was I not supposed to drag my sack along the bulkhead in the tunnel?" was not the correct answer. I had been spending time on the stationary bike trying to stay in standards, but otherwise I hadn't done anything different.

I asked if I should be concerned and everyone said NO NO, NO NOT AT ALL but like, there was a meeting.

I'm just waiting for whatever cancer is gonna get me. And frankly, I'm a little tired of waiting. Not necessarily from that one quarter, but let's all be honest about how unhealthy that environment is for living. That extra $200 a month was totes worth it

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Who do I look up for contact information on a Naval base if I am a State, but not Fed, regulator who potentially needs access to the base for my regulatory duties?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Laranzu posted:

I was on 76 for the Fukushima response as a rider out of Pearl harbor.

I thought they caught it heading out to a Westpac but honestly I might have my disaster responses mixed up with the other earthquake on Vinson

Edit: aside from signing the thing did they ever tell you nobles how much radiation we absorbed?

I wasn't on 76, I was on 72. 76 was closer by.

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Who do I look up for contact information on a Naval base if I am a State, but not Fed, regulator who potentially needs access to the base for my regulatory duties?

The base's Public Affairs Officer if I had to guess. That's not something I think you'd need a FOIA for.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

As said either PAO, since you're an official, or talk to the base Pass & ID office for getting access to the base

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Your predecessor in that job didn't have a contact?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Flyinglemur posted:

I got called into the wardroom on 21 because my quarterly rad levels were too high. Lots of questions asked and apparently "was I not supposed to drag my sack along the bulkhead in the tunnel?" was not the correct answer. I had been spending time on the stationary bike trying to stay in standards, but otherwise I hadn't done anything different.

I asked if I should be concerned and everyone said NO NO, NO NOT AT ALL but like, there was a meeting.

I'm just waiting for whatever cancer is gonna get me. And frankly, I'm a little tired of waiting. Not necessarily from that one quarter, but let's all be honest about how unhealthy that environment is for living. That extra $200 a month was totes worth it

Cancer incidence for submariners is lower than the general population, even among nukes with multi-REM exposure records, so you may be waiting awhile.

I don't know how, as you said, that is not a fit environment to have human beings live in.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

GD_American posted:

Your predecessor in that job didn't have a contact?

No, no Naval facilities have what we regulate (specific wells). However, someone drilled one in the 1920s under our authority and left it to rot and now it's a Navy base and I gotta go look for it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Cancer incidence for submariners is lower than the general population, even among nukes with multi-REM exposure records, so you may be waiting awhile.

I don't know how, as you said, that is not a fit environment to have human beings live in.

Have they figured out why this is a thing?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Wibla posted:

Have they figured out why this is a thing?

100 meters of nature's greatest radiation shield between you and the sun's UV for months at a time?

No, no Naval facilities have what we regulate (specific wells). However, someone drilled one in the 1920s under our authority and left it to rot and now it's a Navy base and I gotta go look for it.

drat, my sympathies. That sounds like it will suckkkkkkkkkk

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GD_American posted:

100 meters of nature's greatest radiation shield between you and the sun's UV for months at a time?

Well that makes sense.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What base? If it’s Bremerton or Bangor I can get you a number for a human in NavFac.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The PAO should definitely be able to point you in the right direction; you'll probably want either the facilities office (NAVFAC) or the base safety office.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I know I'm going to out myself here, but have any of you found any Vet groups not full of ultra conservative MAGA types? I'm not trying to start anything here, and you can believe whatever you want, but as a non-Christian, Democrat-leaning vet I am having a hard time finding a group where I "belong" and was wondering if anyone else feels this way.

I am a member of the semi-local SubVets (for the license plates, as those are definitely Get Out Of Jail Free cards - so far) and went to one meeting but it wasn't a good fit. Also I'm 26 years sober so hanging out at the Legion isn't really a great option.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

I know I'm going to out myself here, but have any of you found any Vet groups not full of ultra conservative MAGA types? I'm not trying to start anything here, and you can believe whatever you want, but as a non-Christian, Democrat-leaning vet I am having a hard time finding a group where I "belong" and was wondering if anyone else feels this way.

I am a member of the semi-local SubVets (for the license plates, as those are definitely Get Out Of Jail Free cards - so far) and went to one meeting but it wasn't a good fit. Also I'm 26 years sober so hanging out at the Legion isn't really a great option.

I thought this was my support group?

However I understand what you are saying and i have a hard time even finding activities that dont seem kinda chuddy in WA. Found a good group of MtG players that I enjoy spending time with. Lot of bubbleheads come to think of it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Theres a good leftists organization thread in here, maybe check that? I've never read it so

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023521&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

lightpole posted:

Theres a good leftists organization thread in here, maybe check that? I've never read it so

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023521&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Wow that thread goes Places.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Wow that thread goes Places.

Oh poo poo. I should have read it first. My bad.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Lol I will go check out that link for the comedy value but I'm not necessarily a leftist or Marxist or anyone that even wants to read or post in C-Spam here. It just seems like everyone I served with and everyone I know that goes to those actual in-person places all dig the hell out of the red hats.

And yeah this is the closest I've found to feeling included. So I guess either thank you or gently caress you depending on your position while reading this :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah pretty much most vets I know in real life are too busy shouting Go Brandon and chugging monsters.