Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Talk to Me was solid and reminded me a lot of The Ring with a bit more madness thrown in. I think I liked the clearer rules of the Ring more, but creepy ghosts always get to me.

Also the main should clearly have been posting on movie forums and then she wouldn’t be so lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

drrockso20 posted:

And they're doing a 4K UHD+Blu-Ray combo pack for Belladonna of Sadness

I love Belladonna of Sadness. Incredibly rough movie to watch, had me in a mood for a few days.

Hmm this wikipedia page for the fatal frame movie lists it in the lgbt movies by women category, im curious now

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Very hyped to see Late Night With The Devil this week. All indications are that it's a special one and one of the best of the year. I don't know when it happened exactly but David Dastmalchian became one of my favourite working actors sometime over the past year. That dude rules.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Knife+Heart was certainly something.

checkplease posted:

Talk to Me was solid and reminded me a lot of The Ring with a bit more madness thrown in. I think I liked the clearer rules of the Ring more, but creepy ghosts always get to me.

Also the main should clearly have been posting on movie forums and then she wouldn’t be so lonely.

It was a really solid film. Loved the design of the dead people. The kids all acted well and did the idiot teenagers loving around with forces beyond their comprehension well.

I wish there was a bit more dynamic with the gaslighting and unsure nature of the mothers death and if it was actually murder. It kind of got backseated in the last act.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

drrockso20 posted:

And they're doing a 4K UHD+Blu-Ray combo pack for Belladonna of Sadness

Well, that's an easy buy for me.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Zwabu posted:

The problem with The Hidden is that it is never shown or streamed anywhere, I assume this is some kind of rights issue. My roommates and I watched it back in the day, either during an early broadcast on cable or rented as a VHS tape, I can’t remember which. I have always had difficulty finding it in any format physical or otherwise. It is a great flick and well worth a watch.

Every Elm Street director except Samuel Bayer has at least one banger in their filmography even if that filmography is patchy overall. Craven is Craven. Jack Shoulder has The Hidden. Chuck Russell has The Blob. Stephen Hopkins has Predator 2. Renny Harlin has Deep Blue Sea, Long Kiss Goodnight and Cliffhanger. Rachel Talalay has Tank Girl and some great Doctor Who episodes.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 17, 2023

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just watched A Wounded Fawn last night, starring Josh Ruben, who I know of as a goofy silly guy doing dumb internet comedy and sometimes making funny horror movies (like Scare Me, or Werewolves Within)

It was actually really? really? good? Like it wasn't a comedy, at all - it felt like a love letter to 70s horror, to giallo, and to Argento specifically; there was this real goddamn like, Greek myth vibe to the whole thing. Surreal as hell, in a really interesting way, and anachronistic on purpose, and just really, really good. Ruben plays an art-loving serial killer who sees a red owl who tells him to murder, it takes some absolute turns, and I can't recommend it enough.

Also, the end credits somehow crossed the end credits of the Buffy movie with the end credits of Pearl? And made it work? It's one hell of a fun ride.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

High Warlord Zog posted:

Every Elm Street director except Samuel Bayer has at least one banger in their filmography even if that filmography is patchy overall. Craven is Craven. Jack Shoulder has The Hidden. Chuck Russell has The Blob. Stephen Hopkins has Predator 2. Renny Harlin has Deep Blue Sea, Long Kiss Goodnight and Cliffhanger. Rachel Talalay has Tank Girl and some great Doctor Who episodes.

Bayer hasn’t directed anything before or since and I’m okay with that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

High Warlord Zog posted:

Huh, I just looked up Russel and he has the most random assortment of poo poo I loved as a kid: Mask, Eraser, Scorpion King. I would have never in a hundred years guessed that those were by the same guy that also made the best NoES, which is probably why Russel kind of fizzled out.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Saw Starve Acre (2023) at the London Film Festival on Sunday, starring Morfydd Clark (aka the Maud from Saint Maud, and Galadriel) and Matt Smith (aka the Doctor from Doctor Who), and really enjoyed it. It was introduced by the director Daniel Kokotajlo, who previously made Apostasy in 2017, and on the basis of this film, I immediately rushed out after the screening and tried to buy a copy (only to find it's OOP).

It's a British folk horror set in the 70s northern countryside, and the look of everything feels very accurate - I could recognise the clothing and haircuts in photos of my parents from that era. Clark and Smith are a couple who, due to their son's asthma, have moved out of the city to the farm Smith grew up in, where he experienced a traumatic childhood. However their son is now hearing the whispers of a local folk character called Jack Grey, while Smith becomes obsessed with his father's research trying to find an ancient buried oak tree. There's a great puppeteered hare, which has a rather grisly first (and last) appearance and, there's a suitably creepy local "spiritual" wise woman.

Morfydd herself and the director came out after the film for a Q&A - one interesting thing was they used the same process Dune and The Batman did in printing out the DI to film to add organic grain to the image.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Very hyped to see Late Night With The Devil this week. All indications are that it's a special one and one of the best of the year. I don't know when it happened exactly but David Dastmalchian became one of my favourite working actors sometime over the past year. That dude rules.

Yeah it's lots of fun and David's great in it, and like Starve Acre, I loved how period accurate it looked without being pastiche. Lots of great supporting parts as well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Huh, I just looked up Russel and he has the most random assortment of poo poo I loved as a kid: Mask, Eraser, Scorpion King. I would have never in a hundred years guessed that those were by the same guy that also made the best NoES, which is probably why Russel kind of fizzled out.

he was a really good special effects oriented director

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I liked The Endless, but how long has camp Arcadia been looping to be aware they're looping even at the beginning of a new loop? Chris and Michael from the previous film Resolution claim to be looping for a year, but when their loop resets Michael approaches Chris as if he has no idea he's started a new loop.

Loop.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Russell took a fifteen year break from directing and returned to do John Travolta hairline films. And a 2022 movie with Travolta and Bruce Willis that sounds incredibly loving depressing considering it's one of the final movies before his retirement due to aphasia, etc.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Carpet posted:

Saw Starve Acre (2023) at the London Film Festival on Sunday, starring Morfydd Clark (aka the Maud from Saint Maud, and Galadriel) and Matt Smith (aka the Doctor from Doctor Who), and really enjoyed it. It was introduced by the director Daniel Kokotajlo, who previously made Apostasy in 2017, and on the basis of this film, I immediately rushed out after the screening and tried to buy a copy (only to find it's OOP).

It's a British folk horror set in the 70s northern countryside, and the look of everything feels very accurate - I could recognise the clothing and haircuts in photos of my parents from that era. Clark and Smith are a couple who, due to their son's asthma, have moved out of the city to the farm Smith grew up in, where he experienced a traumatic childhood. However their son is now hearing the whispers of a local folk character called Jack Grey, while Smith becomes obsessed with his father's research trying to find an ancient buried oak tree. There's a great puppeteered hare, which has a rather grisly first (and last) appearance and, there's a suitably creepy local "spiritual" wise woman.

Morfydd herself and the director came out after the film for a Q&A - one interesting thing was they used the same process Dune and The Batman did in printing out the DI to film to add organic grain to the image.

Yeah it's lots of fun and David's great in it, and like Starve Acre, I loved how period accurate it looked without being pastiche. Lots of great supporting parts as well.

70’s period folk horror with actors I already like? No, my birthday’s in June, this is way too early.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm on the last of the Child's Play series, and it's had both its brilliant and stupid moments, but I gotta say I absolutely popped for the two separate continuities converging together when Alex shows back up. Now I see why everyone is hyped about the TV series, I understand the stupid brilliance of this whole venture.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm on the last of the Child's Play series, and it's had both its brilliant and stupid moments, but I gotta say I absolutely popped for the two separate continuities converging together when Alex shows back up. Now I see why everyone is hyped about the TV series, I understand the stupid brilliance of this whole venture.

The series is loving lit. There's a "I think we moved into a spooky haunted house" gag from the recent premier that I'm still thinking about, it's so loving good / dumb / good.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The TV series is just perfection. Queer bombast, violent joy. Melodrama and grand spectacle. I love it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not strictly speaking horror (or is it ~*spooky) but I want to thank the denizens of the Horror Thread for convincing me to give MouseHunt another go, after it (inexplicably?) scared me shitless as a child. It's great fun, looks great, sounds great, is filled with character actors I love and has some killer lines. "I can't live like this! There's no air in the middle class!" I genuinely can't imagine a modern kid's film having anything like this. Or a contemporary one tbh.

Anyway this is great.
The mouse was their dead dad. It makes you think.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Doltos posted:

Knife+Heart was certainly something.

It was a really solid film. Loved the design of the dead people. The kids all acted well and did the idiot teenagers loving around with forces beyond their comprehension well.

I wish there was a bit more dynamic with the gaslighting and unsure nature of the mothers death and if it was actually murder. It kind of got backseated in the last act.

Agreed on all points. I was kind of annoyed with the teens and their decisions at time, which makes sense as they are teens. I do think it rushes a bit into the ending, which does do a great job in establishing the madness, but as you point out, some with the mother and father are dropped a bit. Like the whole fingers scratching on the door aspect. Or how Ducketts brother comes back, says a couple lines, and disappears.

There’s also no lore behind the hand which may be a good cool. I like the investigation on the Ring, but not every horror needs that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I like that the only lore we get of the hand is the urban legend the teens heard of when they got it. Saves another Microfiche In The Library scene where we're just told outright, it just lets it hang as this unknowable mystery.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I do love a microfiche in the library scene though.

Microfiche is so much less annoying in movies than real life.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The library research scene in Bye Bye Man ftw

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

that’s right. there’s a Bye Bye Dog also and he’s kind of cute

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
having fun with AI stickers on Instagram. spoilers for hereditary

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Take advantage of Encounters of the Spooky Kind being on Criterion Channel this month. I am so glad I finally got to see it, it's an amazing horror comedy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Lazy_Liberal posted:

lol that's just great
AI is just fun for making stupid poo poo and fun memes and that's OK

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

vvatercolor

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I just started the first episode of the Chucky TV show now that I've seen the movie franchise, and lol, lmao, is this a show where the titular evil doll just bullies the gently caress out of children? Because I am BEYOND entertained.

[Edit: Yeah, I am basically all in on this show. Next time I change my avatar, I've gotta join another new gang.]

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 17, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

computer angel posted:

I liked The Endless, but how long has camp Arcadia been looping to be aware they're looping even at the beginning of a new loop? Chris and Michael from the previous film Resolution claim to be looping for a year, but when their loop resets Michael approaches Chris as if he has no idea he's started a new loop.

Loop.

The way I interpreted it was you fake the amnesia so the entity doesn't loop you again which is why they do that in Resolution for most of the film. I dunno, I didn't overanalyze it too much I just liked it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I do love a microfiche in the library scene though.

Microfiche is so much less annoying in movies than real life.

Somebody doesn't try to spin the microfiche wheel perfectly to land on the newspaper page and thus didn't have fun

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Lol that they nailed Peter pretty close

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dashcam was very lol

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Joe Lynch, director of Mayhem, on sneaking in to The Exorcist III at 10 years old:

quote:

My technique was, I would take my dad’s jacket with me and plop it on the seat next to me. And anytime some pimply usher would come by, like [The Simpsons-style warbly teenager voice], “Excuse me, where’s your ticket?” I’d be like, “Oh, my dad’s in the bathroom. He’s got the tickets. I swear to God, he’s here.” And they’d be like, “OK,” and they’d never come back. So for this movie, I’m sitting by myself in a pretty full house. You could tell midway through the movie, the audience wasn’t quite sure what kind of movie they’d gotten. Now, I make those movies too, where people, in the middle, are going, What are we watching? But in this case, the audience was engaged enough. And then the shot happens.

No one saw it coming. Everyone is sitting there going, Why are we holding on to this one shot for so long? And then what happens, happens. And the entire crowd jumped up. Here’s the worst part — someone grabbed me from behind! And went [choked fear noise]. And I jump up and turn around, and there’s this old lady behind me. I’m like, “Lady, what are you doing?” And she’s like, “I didn’t have anyone else to hold on to!” So I go, “Do you want to sit with me?” She sat down next to me, and we watched the rest of the movie together. Horror movies bring people together!
:3:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

MacheteZombie posted:

Dashcam was very lol

That woman was so loving annoying and it's very much who she is irl as I learned through Google afterwards.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Alright I'm watching the new season of Creepshow and my suspension of disbelief is really being pushed. I can buy werewolves, vampires, zombies... But an old Atari-esque game system that just plugs into a modem TV? Yeah, sorry, too much

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MacheteZombie posted:

Dashcam was very lol

Can I change my answer for worst horror movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

computer angel posted:

That woman was so loving annoying and it's very much who she is irl as I learned through Google afterwards.

Yeah she's very stupid

Still enjoyed the movie

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Doltos posted:

Can I change my answer for worst horror movie

That got me thinking, what are the absolute worst horror movies I've seen?

The big one is probably Puppet Master, because making the toys actively working for the Nazis is incomprehensibly bad. Aftershock is up there in my worst-ever just because it has maybe 30 minutes of movie, with a full hour of nothing much happening before it gets to it.

Hellraiser Judgment is actually pretty good - if it wasn't a Hellraiser movie, where it literally throws away 9 movies of lore to shrug and say "yep, it's demons and angels fighting, it's boring as gently caress"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The worst horror movie I’ve ever seen is the elm street remake. It annoyed and offended me and it’s so boring.

There’s definitely worse films but I’d rather watch Midget Zombie Takeover again than the Elm street remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISh0d_Xh5Rs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

for me it’s Haunted Boat (2005)