Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
harvestella's composer, go shiina, does a lot of work around the games and animation industries for anyone who wanted to hear more of it. his most well known works are probably the soundtrack to tales of legendia and some specific tracks in zestiria like zaveid's theme, but he also did the music for all the mr. driller games, god eater, ace combat 3d cross rumble (and a few good songs in ace combat 3) and code vein. also did a couple songs in klonoa 2. in the anime space he did the music for an older show called kyousougiga that's, extremely cool and i would highly recommend if you want to see a show by a lady who did some work on some really funny and weird episodes of magical girl anime getting a blank check to make a show about a girl with a big hammer trying to repair the relationship between her family who are all god beings who live in a world painted to life by their father. honestly most of the stuff he does music for tends to at least be interesting as a whole and worth playing/watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjPnoSNprE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPsyh4_jICw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4giMWBWP9ZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoES3gvh3CQ

he also did the music for the ps2 kyou kara maou video game and is currently composing the soundtrack for a fantasy anime about a pathetic vampire girl surrounded by insane lesbians. he uh. he does a lot of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdgD2qztEcg

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
The fact that farming is irrelevant to the story is actually (I think) really, really relevant to the story, because "what if you had a farm but didn't actually have to do any work because of magic" is a comforting, impossible fantasy on par with "what if you went to the past and so were way smarter and cooler than everyone else" - it's there so the protagonist can keep getting told they should have stayed home.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mr driller i would particularly urge anyone to check out if you like puzzle games cause it's a very unique one and drill land has a pretty solid port on modern systems with really nice high-res art and a cool full story mode with a lot of heart to it, the series feels pretty underlooked since they only recently translated drill land and that, strange pacteria and g are the most notable ones. most of the series post-drill land is just kinda cheaply reused assets since they disbanded the dev team and it's a huge shame because those early ones have really fun full story modes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Also MMOs were a lot less casual back then and deaths could actually be a big setback.

Yeah it's worth noting that when .hack//Sign came out WoW hadn't been released yet and the biggest MMOs were stuff like Lineage, DAoC, and EQ. MUDs were also still poplar and to say some of the biggest MUDs had unforgiving PVP penalties (if not permadeath) is putting things mildly. An unlucky death in EQ could be literally hours or work to recover, if you're lucky enough for it to be recoverable at all. Dying on a boat was a non-CRable death iirc.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Everquest owned lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
At least in the case of Sign and IMOQ there's a degree of "people are really into role-playing" which was also more of a thing in early MMOs and MUDs, or at least that's how it comes across to me

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has there ever been a video game character that could turn you down because you're not their type?

I've always liked the idea but lol people get really worked up over it. I think it's only really a thing in like, dating sims where it's a "game over" anyways.

Though, video game romances will always be weird because if it was more common people would probably just look up all the answers for the results they want as opposed to appreciating how it made things feel more alive.

But not everything is meant for everyone so more devs should do it. :colbert:

I think I've been confusing you two as the same person, what are your avatars from..?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Shastahanshah posted:

I think I've been confusing you two as the same person, what are your avatars from..?

Octopath Traveler 2, the pinnacle of video game achievement.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think .hack ever actually went into it, but being killed by another person in an immersive full dive vr game would definitely be more traumatic than in say, runescape.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

CaptainRat posted:

Only game that's anywhere close for me this year is baldur's gate 3

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kirbysuperstar posted:

At least in the case of Sign and IMOQ there's a degree of "people are really into role-playing" which was also more of a thing in early MMOs and MUDs, or at least that's how it comes across to me

Yeah like currently watching .hack//sign the thing is that it isn't exactly the show taking it overly seriously, just certain characters. BT is annoyed losing progress when she gets killed by Sora but she is pretty casual about it compared to the weird RPers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
reiterating that Mr Driller: Drill Land is available on all current platforms and is a great game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
.hack also varies slightly in how it portrays it across different entries. pking in sign isn't that traumatic a deal for most characters, bt doesn't seem to be too fazed by it, but it's obviously a different story for tsukasa since he's uh, literally living in the mmo. with gu there's meant to be an element of dramatic irony to it because haseo used to be a notorious pker but he has no memory of it anymore

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also apart from the one with the kids singing, this is the best drill land track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8EhgyJbces

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CaptainRat posted:

:hai:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I took a break in the post game but just haven't gone back since, I really need to do that

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Owl Inspector posted:

Harvestella was one of my favorites from last year. the format is surprisingly engaging even if the farming gameplay doesn’t have any relevance to the story, that story is unashamed of going completely off the rails in ways they didn’t advertise at all, and the soundtrack is shockingly good and extensive for a game that definitely shows the limits of its budget in a more than a few places. I would love to see a sequel that develops on the idea with some actual budget for voice acting, attention to detail and more complex farm mechanics/combat but I fear we’ll probably never hear about it again. it was one of those games where the vibes stay with you for months after you put it away and I don’t want it to be forgotten

I love it. I hope it gets the Octopath 2 treatment. The music is so good

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CaptainRat posted:

Easily in my Top 5 this year

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Endorph posted:

theres a king of fighters visual novel where if you hit on mai she laughs at you for two minutes straight, unskippable

feels like people would get off on that, actually

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Has there ever been a video game character that could turn you down because you're not their type?

I remember that in Alpha Protocol even if you have high relationship points with SIE one of the requirements to have sex with her retroactively makes it so she's observed you in scenes spread throughout the game. If you've been acting like her type when interacting with her but not during those moments she was watching then she loses interest which I thought was a funny little trap.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Not exactly that, but My Time at Portia and My Time at Sandrock are both good examples of doing non-traditional things with the romanceable characters in that vein. For similar things, of the top of my head there's:
  • the tree farmer Aadit, who if you marry a week later he leaves you a Dear John note about how it's not you it's him, etc., and straight up permanently disappears from the game world because he's actually an foreign spy who realized he let himself get too close and needed to bail on his assignment
  • the nurse Phyllis, who's happy to date you but hates the idea of being a trophy wife and can't be married until late in the plot when she can set up her own clinic in the suburbs area that gets built (explicitly on the basis that she can now safely divorce you if you treat her wrong)
  • the mayor's daughter Ginger who has an incurable fatal anime illness, which as it turns out is in fact fatal and incurable and she inevitably dies at the end of the fifth year no matter what, and has a whole quest chain if you're married to her of you futilely trying to save her regardless (this unfortunately actually got patched out later on due to fan outcry and review-bombing, so you can now get her anime UV therapy to buy her an additional week of life at a time)
  • not quite as far into Sandrock just due to the early access nature of my playtime being the first month over and over again, but there are again people marked as romanceable who will still refuse on various grounds such as having too much else going on to think about romance right now but really it's because they're all foreign spies trying to out each other and are worried you're doing the same
There's also just a lot of unique events for things like the characters trying to advance the romance on their own, alternate elaborate marriage proposals you/they can set up, etc. Really helps to make it feel more real than just "you have given them sufficient gems to eat, please proceed to craft the wedding ring for them".

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nick Buntline posted:

Not exactly that, but My Time at Portia and My Time at Sandrock are both good examples of doing non-traditional things with the romanceable characters in that vein. For similar things, of the top of my head there's:
  • the tree farmer Aadit, who if you marry a week later he leaves you a Dear John note about how it's not you it's him, etc., and straight up permanently disappears from the game world because he's actually an foreign spy who realized he let himself get too close and needed to bail on his assignment

This isn't quite right - if you marry him, he acts like a normal spouse until the end of the main storyline, then disappears from the game, with a lot of characters speculating he was the Rogue Knight. Still very iconic, and I love that Pathea is willing to do incredibly funny things like this.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
all that stuff sounds cool but everytime i try to play portia i get bored of the extremely generic dialogue... does sandrock improve that

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

I think so? IMO characters have a much stronger voice and are more easily differentiated from each other in Sandrock than in Portia. At minimum, the VAs do an excellent job of selling the dialogue, even if only because the setting gives a good chunk of them an excuse to go hog wild with their best cowboy impersonations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I played a lot of Portia and really enjoyed it but was mostly repelled in the end by the incredibly janky, borderline broken combat system. I'm not sure if Sandrock makes any improvements on that front or makes combat less of a focus.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the designs are still not great in sandrock but the characters do have more personality in their stories. one of them is so dull that your date with them involves going to their house and watching paint dry

the most important thing is that they made spelunking, combat and dungeoning much less wretchedly awful to the point where they're, at worst, mediocre. which for the series is a vast improvement

CaptainRat posted:

at least until saga emerald beyond releases in 2024

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

CaptainRat posted:

It’s really, really good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i have finished .hack//sign. it is now one of my favorite cartoons, teehee. i guess i should start playing the video games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wow there is so much stuff i already have an understanding of but would be confused about without watching the anime, this is a true multimedia project!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

chapter 5 of disgaea 7 might as well have been an episode of always sunny and the chapter 6 preview had art of pirilika as kaiji and yugi moto then chapter 6 itself starts of with the crew deciding to kill all resellers

disgaea is fuckin back

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Colonel posted:

harvestella's composer, go shiina, does a lot of work around the games and animation industries for anyone who wanted to hear more of it. his most well known works are probably the soundtrack to tales of legendia and some specific tracks in zestiria like zaveid's theme, but he also did the music for all the mr. driller games, god eater, ace combat 3d cross rumble (and a few good songs in ace combat 3) and code vein. also did a couple songs in klonoa 2. in the anime space he did the music for an older show called kyousougiga that's, extremely cool and i would highly recommend if you want to see a show by a lady who did some work on some really funny and weird episodes of magical girl anime getting a blank check to make a show about a girl with a big hammer trying to repair the relationship between her family who are all god beings who live in a world painted to life by their father. honestly most of the stuff he does music for tends to at least be interesting as a whole and worth playing/watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjPnoSNprE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPsyh4_jICw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4giMWBWP9ZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoES3gvh3CQ

he also did the music for the ps2 kyou kara maou video game and is currently composing the soundtrack for a fantasy anime about a pathetic vampire girl surrounded by insane lesbians. he uh. he does a lot of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdgD2qztEcg

I should also add to this that Go Shiina also did the OST to Demon Slayer/Kimetsu no Yaiba, though in terms of style that's more along the lines of his God Eater work.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Harvestella had great music, an insane plot and quite pretty graphics. It's too bad the gameplay sucked to an extreme degree. I've played shovelware indie games with better feeling combat than Harvestella, it's insane.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my main problem with harvestella is that they completely ran out of budget at some point. they could mostly afford the main story but then everything else involved recycled locations, models and enemies. this includes all of the party quests, including the unicorn that was obviously a dropped party member but was still around for no apparent reason. and there were an awful lot of side quests. it all felt very community theater.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I got to the combat in Hack Infection and immediately laugh because it felt like I was playing morrowind again

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

chapter 5 of disgaea 7 might as well have been an episode of always sunny and the chapter 6 preview had art of pirilika as kaiji and yugi moto then chapter 6 itself starts of with the crew deciding to kill all resellers

disgaea is fuckin back

Chapter 5 was the tournament arc where they hype up a pallet swap of Disgaea 5’s main antagonist, only for him to get a spear shoved up his butt, right? Yeah that poo poo ruled.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

disgaea is fuckin back

Kind of bummed Disgaea 2 and 3 are not on Switch to have the full collection there. My OCD is suffering.

Is there any merit to playing through all of them in order? Or does it get too repetitive/not enough changes between entries? I usually enjoy seeing how a series changes and improves over time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Chapter 5 was the tournament arc where they hype up a pallet swap of Disgaea 5’s main antagonist, only for him to get a spear shoved up his butt, right? Yeah that poo poo ruled.

Wasn't that chapter 4? 5 was the gang tries gambling to fix money problems

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, unless you want your husband calling you his wife.

Destroy all gender imo
But point taken

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Markovnikov posted:

Is there any merit to playing through all of them in order? Or does it get too repetitive/not enough changes between entries? I usually enjoy seeing how a series changes and improves over time.

You'd probably get sick of it if you do all the postgame stuff every time, but the main story stuff shouldn't get too repetitive, I think? Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wasn't that chapter 4? 5 was the gang tries gambling to fix money problems

Yeah I’m remembering wrong, Chapter 5 makes a lot more sense as an Always Sunny episode.