Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've never really been a fan of brandy, I find it kind of one note and boring, but I also felt that way about rum until I tried Rhum Barbancourt and Appleton Reserve. Is brandy like rum in that there's a bunch of stuff that's just artificially sweetened nothing liquor that makes up most of the market? I'm trying to decide whether I want to buy a bottle for my nog-making this year or mix up the recipe and make it without brandy. Whenever I buy a bottle of brandy it just sits around forever gathering dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Well first we’ve gotta narrow it to grape brandies, presumably. Eaux de vie and calvados and stuff are technically brandy as well (any distilled spirit made from fruit is) and there are many good ones, but that’s probably not what you’re talking about.

But yes, grape brandy is like rum in that there’s tons of crap and also in that the good stuff is fantastic.

If you haven’t tried good cognac or Armagnac, especially bottled over 40% abv, you should do that before writing off the category. (For the big name brands that you recognize, you want VSOP or better, but the smaller producers make good stuff too that isn’t necessarily graded VSOP.) Keeping it to those two regions is a good shortcut for now; there are good brandies that aren’t from those AOCs but that can come later.

I find Barbancourt to be a particularly brandy-ish rum, so I bet you’ll like it when you find a good one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I've had Remy Martin VSOP, the bottle looks familiar but I bought the bottle nearly a decade ago now. I don't really remember much about it. What would you recommend? I did have an apple brandy from Atlanta Distillers that was also kind of just there. Pleasant, but nothing that stood out about it. But yes, I'm talking about grape brandy.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 17, 2023

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't know a ton about cognac but the $40 bottle of ABK6 vsop I've got is delicious. Leagues ahead of the cheap brandies, highly recommend.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Remy VSOP is good and is I think the last big-producer bottle I had, but that was years and years ago. Martell is also good, I'd probably put those two above Courvoisier and Hennessy, but none of the big producers' VSOPs or above are bad or anything. I also like Hine, and Pierre Ferrand has lots of interesting bottles (I've got one of those in my home bar at the moment).

If it's available in your local stores, armagnac is often more distinctive and fun. Marie Duffau is the biggest seller in the US and their Napoléon is maybe the best value in brandy (that I can think off of the top of my head anyway).

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
In cognac production the big four make 80%+ of the worlds cognac - Hennessy, Remy Martin, Martell, and Courvoisier.

Cognac has age statements, VS is a blend with the youngest cognac being aged at least two years in casks, VSOP being aged at least four years, XO being aged at least ten years.

Hennessy is ubiquitous and known for their VS cognac. It’s good, I use it in most brandy drinks I’ve posted in this thread.

Martell is the second biggest house, and best known for their Cordon Bleu XO. I haven’t ever tried anything by them.

Remy Martin is the third biggest house and most famous for either Louis XIII, aged 40-100 years and comes in a crystal decanter, or 1738 if you’re on a budget and into trap music. 1738 is good.

Courvoisier is the fourth house and iconic thanks for Busta Rhymes. I drank a ton of VS in college and I dont remember much about it, fondly.

All four big brands offer the same kind of craftsmanship and consistency that you’ll get from big whiskey brands.

The only other cognac I’ve had was Maison Rouge VS which got the job done well in holiday cocktails.

There’s bargains to be had and I personally love the flavor profile cognac brings to cocktails. Buy something that looks good and post about it!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Where does Pierre Ferrand fit into that ecosystem?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
They’re the #6 cognac producer. Never had any of their cognac but the dry curaçao is excellent, and they make plantation rum too.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
If we're gonna talk about brandy we should also talk about pisco and singani. They're funky, unaged brandies from South America that can be very reminiscent of rhum agricole, singani especially. Worth looking into if you're a rum appreciator.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

Where does Pierre Ferrand fit into that ecosystem?

I love Pierre Ferrand. I don't really think about wine brandy I just buy PF, although I'm happy to try an interesting bottle of armagnac any time.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

TengenNewsEditor posted:

I love Pierre Ferrand. I don't really think about wine brandy I just buy PF, although I'm happy to try an interesting bottle of armagnac any time.

Yeah, exactly. It was designed specifically for use in cocktails under advisement from David Wondrich. I actually don’t know if I’ve ever even drank it neat, but the extra proof makes it stand up really well to mixing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I didn't realize that the VS/VSOP/XO labels actually meant anything. I had a bottle of E&J XO for egg nog and assumed that it was aged less than the Remy Martin VSOP I had bought previously.

I'll see what the local stores have, I'm in a small town so there's probably not a ton of options but I'll be in a bigger city this weekend. I have a kneejerk reaction against hennesey and courvosier because those seem to have the most advertisement behind them and I assume that anything with a lot of advertising you're paying more for the advertising than the alcohol.

I had a pisco sour from a really good bartender once and didn't much care for it. Just kind of boring. But now that I think about it I love Sidecars and Brandy Crostas, so I can at least do that with a bottle of brandy if I buy one and get the gran marnier or whatever the other component of a sidecar is that I'm forgetting and too lazy to look up.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hennessy and Courvoisier are actually perfectly good cocktail cognacs, and if they can be had for a reasonable price where you are then you should reconsider writing them off.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
if you want a nice grape brandy that isn't french or american try Brandy de Jerez. two of the easiest to find that are nice are Gran Duque de Alba which is on the sweeter side, and Cardinal Mendoza which is a bit drier

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yes, I keep the Spanish brandies on hand for those uses myself. My French brandy budget is all taken up with Calvados.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The local liquor stores have a terrible brandy selection. I'm going to be down in the Denver area this weekend so I'm going to try to do some shopping while I'm down there. There's apparently three varieties of Pierre Ferrand at one of the liquor stores maybe 3-4 miles from where I'll be. The 1840, the Amber Gran Cru, and the Amber Gran Cru double cask. Any rundown on the qualities of each?

Also, for sidecars, any recommendations on cointreau vs gran marnier vs some other kind of curacao? I've only ever had them at bars and I don't remember what they used.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Help, I Bought Brandy

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've used a lot of Brandy lately making eggnog (spiced rum + brandy, rum + apple brandy, straight apple brandy), but also these:

"Winter Fling"

Trader Tom created this drink. The fresh unpasteurized cider and pimento dram feels like Christmas, and baby, it's cold out there. Come in for a Winter Fling!

4 oz Fresh Apple cider
1 oz White Rum
1/2 oz Cognac
1/4 oz Pimento Dram
1/4 oz Aperol
1/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The local liquor stores have a terrible brandy selection. I'm going to be down in the Denver area this weekend so I'm going to try to do some shopping while I'm down there. There's apparently three varieties of Pierre Ferrand at one of the liquor stores maybe 3-4 miles from where I'll be. The 1840, the Amber Gran Cru, and the Amber Gran Cru double cask. Any rundown on the qualities of each?

Also, for sidecars, any recommendations on cointreau vs gran marnier vs some other kind of curacao? I've only ever had them at bars and I don't remember what they used.

1840 is made specifically for mixing so if you want a brandy for mixing probably get that one.

Grand Marnier is a curaçao and Cointreau is a triple sec. They’re both orange flavored but aren’t the same category really. I’d say get both but if funds are limited then Cointreau is slightly more popular as a cocktail ingredient.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

Grand Marnier is a curaçao and Cointreau is a triple sec. They’re both orange flavored but aren’t the same category really. I’d say get both but if funds are limited then Cointreau is slightly more popular as a cocktail ingredient.

I agree, get both and compare, you’ll quickly learn which one is more your style.

And Cointreau/triple sec is more frequently called for but I prefer Grand Marnier in pretty much everything, especially so with brown spirits, so I’d get that if your priority is Sidecars etc. and you just want one bottle.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm super lazy and just use Ferrand Dry Curacao for everything.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao does work for basically anything that calls for orange liqueur, yes. I'd recommend it over buying Cointreau or Grand Marnier as long as it's available and prices are comparable where you are.

Pierre Ferrand 1840 is their cocktailing cognac (though the price kind of precludes it from that position, I feel). Not familiar with the Amber Gran Cru bottlings, but I'd expect them to be good.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

prayer group posted:

Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao does work for basically anything that calls for orange liqueur, yes. I'd recommend it over buying Cointreau or Grand Marnier as long as it's available and prices are comparable where you are.

:agreed: I like Cointreau but Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao is cheaper and better. Best orange liquor under $20 for a fifth is Gran Gala, but only worth it if you like Grand Marnier and want to save a few bucks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Im not wild about GM in a marg, Cointreau for me. Or hell, ditch the orange liquor and just use agave syrup.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I think I prefer

PF Curaçao > Cointreau > Agave Syrup >>>> Gran Gala/GM >>>>>>>>> Hiram's/Bols > Marg Mix

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 18, 2023

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I don't feel like agave syrup adds anything to a margarita, really. If you're not going to use orange liqueur for whatever reason just use simple syrup (but I don't know why you wouldn't just use orange liqueur in the first place).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

prayer group posted:

I don't feel like agave syrup adds anything to a margarita, really. If you're not going to use orange liqueur for whatever reason just use simple syrup (but I don't know why you wouldn't just use orange liqueur in the first place).

I like it with a nice reposado. I did an agave/lime/wild commons the other day and it was A+

If im using blanco then I’ll use Cointreau.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You know what's really awesome in a marg is using calamansi for part of the lime. Like 3-1 lime to calamansi ratio. MMmmm......

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I didn't realize that the VS/VSOP/XO labels actually meant anything. I had a bottle of E&J XO for egg nog and assumed that it was aged less than the Remy Martin VSOP I had bought previously.

I'll see what the local stores have, I'm in a small town so there's probably not a ton of options but I'll be in a bigger city this weekend. I have a kneejerk reaction against hennesey and courvosier because those seem to have the most advertisement behind them and I assume that anything with a lot of advertising you're paying more for the advertising than the alcohol.

I had a pisco sour from a really good bartender once and didn't much care for it. Just kind of boring. But now that I think about it I love Sidecars and Brandy Crostas, so I can at least do that with a bottle of brandy if I buy one and get the gran marnier or whatever the other component of a sidecar is that I'm forgetting and too lazy to look up.

Keep in mind that labeling standards are not necessarily the same across borders and an XO from France and an XO from America are probably not the same thing. One of the oldest tricks in the trade book is allowing a low quality alternative made in your country to be called the same or similar name of a higher quality product imported from a country that already has a stricter standard in place.

Parmesan Cheese, XO American Brandy, ect.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Agave syrup in a marg is good if you’re using drier triple sec but kinda overkill if you’re using curaçao, which is usually pretty sweet already.

Anyway, tonight I made a Toronto and drat it was good.

2 oz rye
.25 oz Fernet Branca
.25 oz Demerara syrup
2 dashes angostura

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Agave syrup in a marg is good if you’re using drier triple sec but kinda overkill if you’re using curaçao, which is usually pretty sweet already.

Anyway, tonight I made a Toronto and drat it was good.

2 oz rye
.25 oz Fernet Branca
.25 oz Demerara syrup
2 dashes angostura

My hot take is that classic Margs made with agave taste worse than regular ol simple and most every person I've done a side by side with agree

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Got a birthday party tomorrow, birthday boy likes mojitos and mint juleps

Are there good recipes to use or are they generally the same

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cointreau, Dry Curacao and Grand Marnier are all different takes on essentially the same thing. I believe Cointreau is the original triple sec.

Clement Creole Shrub is very nice, too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something I’ve been wondering actually: what purpose is there in having both GM/orange liqueur AND curaçao/triple sec in a margarita? I know the former are brandy-based and the latter are not, but is it not just two orange-based things at once? Seems like overkill, or crossed wires or something.

E: ^^ I may have my classifications all donked up

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Triple sec is usually drier and has brighter orange notes and made with a neutral spirit like sugar beets while curaçao tends to be richer sweeter and sometimes made with a brandy base.

Depends if you want more orange flavor or a more rich flavor with subdued orange notes in your drink. I like em all though, so you can’t really go wrong.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

prayer group posted:

I find that you need a small amount of sweetener regardless of which/how much orange liqueur you use. Using enough of the Orange liqueur to get the sweetness right results in too much orange, but getting the orange right results in a drink that's a little too dry. There's gotta be a touch of sugar -- we add around 1/4 oz simple to ours

I know people who like bone dry Margs with no sugar but the balance always seems off on them

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I find that you need a small amount of sweetener regardless of which/how much orange liqueur you use. Using enough of the Orange liqueur to get the sweetness right results in too much orange, but getting the orange right results in a drink that's a little too dry. There's gotta be a touch of sugar -- we add around 1/4 oz simple to ours

I know people who like bone dry Margs with no sugar but the balance always seems off on them

oh my god i wasn't gonna mention it because i thought i was weird for liking it this way but my marg is 2oz tequila, 0.75oz lime, 0.5oz dry curacao, 0.25oz 2:1 syrup. thank you for validating me

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

prayer group posted:

Pierre Ferrand 1840 is their cocktailing cognac (though the price kind of precludes it from that position, I feel). Not familiar with the Amber Gran Cru bottlings, but I'd expect them to be good.

The place I'm going seems to have the 1840 on sale for $39/bottle when normal prices seem to be around $50. Even $39/bottle is tough to stomach for a mixing liquor but good brandy is expensive so I guess I will try it.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The place I'm going seems to have the 1840 on sale for $39/bottle when normal prices seem to be around $50. Even $39/bottle is tough to stomach for a mixing liquor but good brandy is expensive so I guess I will try it.

Landy VS is also under the Cognac Ferrand label, about $25-$30, and is a pretty great cognac for mixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
On my personal home menu margarita is the driest thing for sure. Totally agree. Just tastes off otherwise. I use passion fruit syrup though so it's already a variation. Orange is a somewhat boring flavor to me, I often replace it with passion or grapefruit or something else.