Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Brawnfire posted:

When is Frasier going to pull out a gun and threaten someone?

ah, like mother, like son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I didn't hate the first two episodes which is more than I was expecting. In fact it's probably the best start to a reboot series I can think of. There were glimmers of the smart writing that made original Frasier so good, and of Kelsey Grammer is on point. I've seen two positive reviews by British papers where the reviewer said it hits it's stride on episode 5 so I'm quietly hopeful.

I'm not ashamed to admit I cried when I realised Frasier's not grandson was named after John Mahoney.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Yeah, on the whole those first two episodes weren't great, but they weren't horrible, either. They certainly weren't as bad as some of the episodes of the series' original run (see: any episode featuring Daphne's relatives from the UK).

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Tea Bone posted:

I didn't hate the first two episodes which is more than I was expecting. In fact it's probably the best start to a reboot series I can think of.

do not blaspheme twin peaks season three

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007
Was not particularly looking forward to this, but I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised so far. The first act of the pilot is definitely the weakest part. The second episode actually had some very Frasier-esque writing with some good pompous moments. Kelsey really knows how to slide back into the character; he actually seems like Frasier instead of an older actor doing a sad impression of their glory days. It's also nice to see a legacy sequel/reboot situation where the main character hasn't had a completely miserable life since we last saw them.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

https://edward-la-barbera.itch.io/frasier-fantasy

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"429 Too Many Requests"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
One thing that I will definitely say I liked about the new Frasier series is the commitment to diversity, both behind the scenes and in front of the camera. Besides Jess Salguiero as Eve and Toks Olagundoye as Olivia, there was one of Freddy's firefighter buddies at the bar who was a lady that casually talked about her wife. And there are also some people of color and women helming episodes in the director's chair, from that one "sneak peek" video that was released just before the new series premiered.

I know there was a lot of concern that Kelsey Grammer's conservative political views would mean that Frasier would probably be ranting about "wokeness" and "cancel culture", but so far they seem to have avoided that, and also seem to be doing more than just paying lip service to the concept of diversity, and (speaking as a cis hetero white dude) I'm very glad to see that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think Frasier's too PBS and NPR to come out sneering about diversity quotas, and thankfully he's a good enough actor that filter probably works.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Brawnfire posted:

I think Frasier's too PBS and NPR to come out sneering about diversity quotas, and thankfully he's a good enough actor that filter probably works.

As well, I just remembered that Grammer's production company was responsible for a couple of different sitcoms around the 2000s-2010s, that featured predominantly black casts.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Brawnfire posted:

Unlike Roseanne :(

Original Show
Have a multi season character arc where your father being an abusive poo poo during your childhood ultimately makes you meltdown from guilt and shame the one time you spank your kid.

Reboot, first loving episode
No one hits their kids anymore, that's what's wrong with the new generation

I don't know what happened to her for there to be such a stark difference from who she used to be but I'm happy Kelsey Grammer hasn't gone crazy at least.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 18, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It may just be wishful thinking but Grammer seems like your Schwarzenegger/Rock brand of Hollywood Republican, which is sadly the absolute best compliment I can give a Republican.

Well, he is definitely somewhat more willing to appear on Fox News, but still. Generally these days if somebody holds garbage opinions, they have no problem letting you hear about it. Silence is usually a good sign.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Sir Lemming posted:

It may just be wishful thinking but Grammer seems like your Schwarzenegger/Rock brand of Hollywood Republican, which is sadly the absolute best compliment I can give a Republican.

Well, he is definitely somewhat more willing to appear on Fox News, but still. Generally these days if somebody holds garbage opinions, they have no problem letting you hear about it. Silence is usually a good sign.

Yeah, from what I gather he's not the Jon Voight/James Woods type that whines about being "silenced" (as they piss and moan on Twitter and elsewhere) for being a conservative; when what they're really being "silenced" (as in, nobody wants to hire them for acting gigs) for is loudly broadcasting the fact that they're loathsome pieces of poo poo, that nobody who's sane would want their project to be publicly associated with.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, from what I gather he's not the Jon Voight/James Woods type that whines about being "silenced" (as they piss and moan on Twitter and elsewhere) for being a conservative; when what they're really being "silenced" (as in, nobody wants to hire them for acting gigs) for is loudly broadcasting the fact that they're loathsome pieces of poo poo, that nobody who's sane would want their project to be publicly associated with.

Grammer is brain broken from his sister’s murder, Jon voight and James woods are just assholes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Grammer's life is an absolute trainwreck where his sister getting murdered is just the start of it, from all accounts.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The new show actually made me laugh a fair few times. Laugh track sitcoms are usually completely dire nowadays because all the good writers have moved on to other formats, but this one had a few decent jokes. Its also really funny that the song at the end started with "Ya'll know how this goes...." because drat everyone over the age of 30 definitely does, its a song that will never leave your brain.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Grassy Knowles posted:

Grammer is brain broken from his sister’s murder, Jon voight and James woods are just assholes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Grammer's life is an absolute trainwreck where his sister getting murdered is just the start of it, from all accounts.

His sister's murder was, I think, the thing that kind of sent him over the edge to where he dropped out/got kicked out of Julliard after winning a scholarship, but even before that there was his parents' divorce, being raised by his grandparents until his grandfather died of cancer when he was 12, his father getting murdered when he was 13, his sister's rape and murder, and the deaths of his two younger half-brothers in a scuba diving-related accident. I can't blame him for being a little bit broke-brained after all that stuff happening to him between the ages of like 2 and 25 (and of course, also losing his good friend and show producer David Angell in the 9/11 attacks, in one of the planes that hit the WTC).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s such a worn out sitcom cliche for someone to misconstrue a situation where they think the other person has romantic feelings for them, but drat if I didn’t laugh at Frasier’s reaction to it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ruddiger posted:

It’s such a worn out sitcom cliche for someone to misconstrue a situation where they think the other person has romantic feelings for them, but drat if I didn’t laugh at Frasier’s reaction to it.

I feel it makes specific sense for someone who used to be married to Lillith.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s still time for the rest of my predictions to come true.

ruddiger posted:

It needs to be titled Frederick and be about Freddy moving in with old man Frasier.

Niles runs a wine bar with Daphne and Freddy has to drag his drunk of a father out of there every night.

ruddiger posted:

And he hangs out with Niles and Daphne’s son.

ruddiger posted:

Frasier’s back problems plague him in his twilight years so Freddy hires a live in male masseuse to help his father. One of Niles and Daphne’s kids ends up falling for him but they don’t act on their feelings because they’re already in a Maris-esque relationship.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Episode 3 wasn't bad. I laughed a few times. I'm not hating this.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah, episode 3 was pretty okay. By the end of the season, maybe it'll actually be good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm looking forward to more, which is more than I can say about most of these reboots after an episode or two.

I didn't even finish That 90s show.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It's not Frasier but it is shaping up into a passable sitcom. Certainly better than a lot of stuff made nowadays.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I feel like David would be a better character if there had been no big bang theory. I get Bebe vibes from the Harvard administrator.

The third episode was good, I'm really surprised at the writing. I think though this would be genuinely great though if a couple characters had been replaced by alums.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's not bad, but I still feel like you could probably call it anything else and it would still be the same show. Thankfully it has avoided having Frasier wag his finger at millennials at least. As for Grammer's politics he seems Republican in that way that's just small c conservative. Probably has views on the role of Government in business rather than frothing at the mouth over immigrants.

Back to the original show, Season 1 ends pretty strong. Frasier getting the flu and the episode where they go for a trip in the RV are all-timers. At some point they realised how physically gifted David Hyde-Pierce is and have multiple moments where he has one line in a whole episode but gets to do a bit of silent comedy that kills (I'm pretty sure in the episode where Frasier wants to win an award literally all he gets to say is "Hello, Frasier"). Season 2 starts with that immediate confidence. Once they knew what the show was there was little to stop them (Well until later when Niles and Daphne get togther).

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

OG Frasier was great up until they added Daphne's mom. Then, when they get rid of her, the show gets pretty good again.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DrVenkman posted:

It's not bad, but I still feel like you could probably call it anything else and it would still be the same show. Thankfully it has avoided having Frasier wag his finger at millennials at least. As for Grammer's politics he seems Republican in that way that's just small c conservative. Probably has views on the role of Government in business rather than frothing at the mouth over immigrants.

Back to the original show, Season 1 ends pretty strong. Frasier getting the flu and the episode where they go for a trip in the RV are all-timers. At some point they realised how physically gifted David Hyde-Pierce is and have multiple moments where he has one line in a whole episode but gets to do a bit of silent comedy that kills (I'm pretty sure in the episode where Frasier wants to win an award literally all he gets to say is "Hello, Frasier"). Season 2 starts with that immediate confidence. Once they knew what the show was there was little to stop them (Well until later when Niles and Daphne get togther).

The reveal of Niles just standing there dressed like Jesus in "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz" is an all-time great moment. His expression makes it and it's great.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mojo1701a posted:

The reveal of Niles just standing there dressed like Jesus in "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz" is an all-time great moment. His expression makes it and it's great.

Especially while he's nasal spraying

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpImet3Xwgw

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
That fire scene is one of the best skits in the show. Up there as one of my favorite Frasier moments.

Niles doing all the characters on the Radio play is another favorite. And when they buy the restaurant and he's working in the kitchen.

Probably my three favorite parts of the show and it's all Niles.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Marenghi posted:

my favorite parts of the show, it's all Niles.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Especially while he's nasal spraying

Yes, yes, it's dripping with irony!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

My favorite episodes are always Bebe episodes.

She's the devil Frasier; run fast, run far

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Idc my favorite line is still "he was eminent when my eminence was merely, imminent"

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The episode I always remember the most is when Frasier and Niles try to take auto shop class taught by the Naked Trucker guy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

OG Frasier was great up until they added Daphne's mom. Then, when they get rid of her, the show gets pretty good again.

Probably the worst episode of any TV show ever was that one where Daphne's mom and some snotty kid keep trying to one-up each other in their little feud. Christ, that was some cringeworthy TV.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TheWorldsaStage posted:

My favorite episodes are always Bebe episodes.

She's the devil Frasier; run fast, run far

"Aren't you glad I'm on your side?" :D

dangerstepp
Apr 8, 2019
Our time has come:

https://youtu.be/FWZY80NHKK8?si=J1Ic5WFQyGSVF0re

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

It’s a quick play but a good one