Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cythereal posted:

He himself is spreading demonic corruption wherever he goes.

This always struck me as odd, because like... this "ability" of Illidan's is never brought up again. They see something hosed up and immediately assume it's his fault, despite the fact that such a thing has never been mentioned before and will never be mentioned again (at least in WC3, I don't know if that's the case in WoW).

quote:

And yet the general consensus of the wider Warcraft story is that Maiev's determination to find Illidan and put him back in chains is her being irrational and obsessive.

Honestly, I can see why. From my perspective, Maiev's beef should be with Tyrande, not Illidan - she's the one who slaughtered the Watchers (for doing the job that she assigned them, no less). Illidan did some stupid poo poo, but he also ultimately wound up on the right side of things twice. Hell, going by the game's narrative, he called upon the aid of the Naga because he was fleeing the Watchers trying to imprison him again - there's a nonzero chance he wouldn't have called upon the Naga's aid like this if he didn't feel so threatened by being hunted down.

I'm going to bring this up again in the future after some other things happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

FrenchBen posted:

That's still not a thing even in DF? They've set up that particular possibility since Legion, more than half a decade ago for Elune's sake. Didn't expect to get Eredar skin tones before that but here we are.

I was pleased to see that they also removed racial restrictions for warlocks, because having Eredar customizations available without that option would be incredibly silly.

Lightforged having access to it is incredibly silly in the opposite direction, however.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

Such a stark contrast to Starcraft 2 where Zeratul and Protoss Stalkers have the same ability but it never gets used for anything but teleporting over holes in terrain as pseudo checkpoints in fixed force missions.
Stalker blink is really important in multiplayer and involves predicting enemy movement; I'd say that is a pretty good use.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I was pleased to see that they also removed racial restrictions for warlocks, because having Eredar customizations available without that option would be incredibly silly.

Lightforged having access to it is incredibly silly in the opposite direction, however.

They did add a whole questline introducing the new warlock races, with a LF Draenei as the main character of it. He makes it clear that he's not turning his back on the Light, he simply believes he can use the power of fel magic along side it to help protect his people.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kith posted:

Honestly, I can see why. From my perspective, Maiev's beef should be with Tyrande, not Illidan - she's the one who slaughtered the Watchers (for doing the job that she assigned them, no less). Illidan did some stupid poo poo, but he also ultimately wound up on the right side of things twice. Hell, going by the game's narrative, he called upon the aid of the Naga because he was fleeing the Watchers trying to imprison him again - there's a nonzero chance he wouldn't have called upon the Naga's aid like this if he didn't feel so threatened by being hunted down.

Oh, don't get us wrong. Maiev hates Tyrande... but Illidan is her mission. Her job is to keep him imprisoned, and by the gods, she will imprison him at all costs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Oh, don't get us wrong. Maiev hates Tyrande... but Illidan is her mission. Her job is to keep him imprisoned, and by the gods, she will imprison him at all costs.

Thinking of the earlier discussion about writing characters that are thousands of years old - I'll say this for the night elves, they're extremely slow to do anything other than exactly what they spent the last ten thousand years doing.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

To my knowledge this is the first appearance of a blink skill in an RTS (keep in mind this campaign obviously came out before DOTA and League) and they obviously had a lot of fun hiding goodies everywhere.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

To my knowledge this is the first appearance of a blink skill in an RTS (keep in mind this campaign obviously came out before DOTA and League) and they obviously had a lot of fun hiding goodies everywhere.

Homeworld skirmish and MP had tactical scale jumps, if not in campaign. Obviously the nature of the maps made it hard to place teleportation only goodies, even if it had teleportation.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Stalker blink is really important in multiplayer and involves predicting enemy movement; I'd say that is a pretty good use.
True, but SC2 has a considerably divergence between campaign, coop and multiplayer design so I consider Stalker micro in MP to be somewhat of a separate entity from campaign map layouts.

Feldegast42 posted:

I think this depends on how tight your definition of blink is. Does it need to be called blink? If not, there's the Chrono Tank from Red Alert Aftermath in 1997.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Feldegast42 posted:

The bolded part is actually technically not true. While it didn't evolve into Dota Allstars and the various versions most people are aware of until after, the very first version of Defense of the Ancients actually pre-dates Frozen Throne.

I doubt there was also such Blink move involved, but I do remember one detail about this probably-lost-to-time original Dota.

There was a hero, I think called a Firelord? He looked like a color-tinted Orc Shaman, and the only other thing I remember about him was his Ultimate ability. It was called Meteor, and due to the limits of the Editor, was simply the Dreadlord's "Inferno" ultimate... except the damage from the crash landing was increased to 400, and the Infernal itself was given a duration of 0 seconds so it died immediately. I played this hero once upon a time, and kept killing the same player with it over and over (he was playing a hero that looked like a Hydralisk; possibly an early Venomancer), and he started calling me the "Meanie Rock Dropper". I enjoy this memory greatly. :)

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact, according to Dragonflight, one of the Infinite Dragonflight's plots was to cockblock Malfurion prior to the War of the Ancients, leading Tyrande to get together with Illidan. This lead to unspecified doom for Azeroth and the Bronze Dragonflight hires adventurers to go back in time and ensure that Tyrande and Malfurion get together on schedule.

That's a concept of a time travel mission that's actually fun. It's goofy and silly, but still gives you actual reason to do it in the narrative.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BlazetheInferno posted:

The bolded part is actually technically not true. While it didn't evolve into Dota Allstars and the various versions most people are aware of until after, the very first version of Defense of the Ancients actually pre-dates Frozen Throne.

I doubt there was also such Blink move involved, but I do remember one detail about this probably-lost-to-time original Dota.

There was a hero, I think called a Firelord? He looked like a color-tinted Orc Shaman, and the only other thing I remember about him was his Ultimate ability. It was called Meteor, and due to the limits of the Editor, was simply the Dreadlord's "Inferno" ultimate... except the damage from the crash landing was increased to 400, and the Infernal itself was given a duration of 0 seconds so it died immediately. I played this hero once upon a time, and kept killing the same player with it over and over (he was playing a hero that looked like a Hydralisk; possibly an early Venomancer), and he started calling me the "Meanie Rock Dropper". I enjoy this memory greatly. :)

the thing that DoTA evolved from was called Aeon of Strife. i remember it because there were a few comically badly put together versions where Paladin Divine Shield+Death and Decay ult were an option for heroes.

this meant that if you made it to level six you could at any moment get bored and say "i win the game now" by setting off a minute-long Divine Shield and then Death and Decaying the enemy HQ

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Keldulas posted:

That's a concept of a time travel mission that's actually fun. It's goofy and silly, but still gives you actual reason to do it in the narrative.

Another funny thing about that quest is that the dragon that helps you during it felt really bad about the whole thing because she thought Illidan and Tyrande were cute together.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Asehujiko posted:

Such a stark contrast to Starcraft 2 where Zeratul and Protoss Stalkers have the same ability but it never gets used for anything but teleporting over holes in terrain as pseudo checkpoints in fixed force missions.

Not just checkpoints, it can help you bypass places you were supposed to run into trouble or allow you to reach buildings, units, etc. that the map didn't intend you to. Sure, no real goodies like we have here, but seeing as only WC3 has items and inventories, it doesn't make a lot of sense in SC2

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Which is why I can absolutely see why people would think that Maiev needs some loving chill: that single-minded determination never leads to anything good for her or those around her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kith posted:

Which is why I can absolutely see why people would think that Maiev needs some loving chill: that single-minded determination never leads to anything good for her or those around her.

This is Warcraft. Stop expecting things to make sense.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kith posted:

This always struck me as odd, because like... this "ability" of Illidan's is never brought up again. They see something hosed up and immediately assume it's his fault, despite the fact that such a thing has never been mentioned before and will never be mentioned again (at least in WC3, I don't know if that's the case in WoW).

Furbolg get corrupted by like literally ANYTHING, its quite possible that Illidan passing by did drive it mad... but so could have like... a single imp farting on it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

AtomikKrab posted:

Furbolg get corrupted by like literally ANYTHING, its quite possible that Illidan passing by did drive it mad... but so could have like... a single imp farting on it.

Wildkin aren't furbolgs. My point is that there's plenty of other poo poo that could've been responsible - Legion remnants, Satyrs (that even appear in this mission!), or even just getting too close to some already hosed up furbolgs - and that immediately assuming that it was Illidan isn't the best reasoning. But, then again:

Cythereal posted:

This is Warcraft. Stop expecting things to make sense.

Thinking too hard about this is a fool's task.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Wihle the game's plot will assuredly change, as of this point, it seems pretty clear cut that Illidan is up to some severe no good. We had the cinematic of him announcing he was going to do some heinous poo poo, and now we come across his allies murdering their way across a night elf village while satyrs - clearcut baddies in the previous game - proclaiming him their new lord. To me at least the game is aiming at you siding with Maiev for now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

AtomikKrab posted:

Poor Peaches, thought of ants and got corrupted.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Hehe, Maiev's armor on the victory screen makes it look like she's got a mustache.

I'm impressed they picked her instead of a scantily clad elf on the victory screen, or that they gave her a full plate of armor for that matter. Like, the only hero that seems made to be an assassin if I go by what you folks said - an archetype that is virtually universally depicted with light armor in about every other videogame - happens to be the only female character in the elven roster that is fully dressed with proper armor. With boob breastplate, but I don't think armorers in this universe consider such mundane things as "practical use before esthetic".

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 18, 2023

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact, according to Dragonflight, one of the Infinite Dragonflight's plots was to cockblock Malfurion prior to the War of the Ancients, leading Tyrande to get together with Illidan. This lead to unspecified doom for Azeroth and the Bronze Dragonflight hires adventurers to go back in time and ensure that Tyrande and Malfurion get together on schedule.

This just reminds me of the Cataclysm time dungeon with them. I always remember that one for the incredibly awful Malfurion line "Hush, Tyrande!" which seemed to epitomize the way Blizzard treated her character.

Pieces of Peace fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 18, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Unfortunately, we're not done with Tyrande's... questionable... choices yet (or, if you prefer, Blizzard's awful writing).

Next update has been recorded, and I think it will finally be time to talk about what exactly happened to Suramar, Tyrande's home town.

Those whom it concerns, you may start grinding your axes now.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
Okay, I feel like I just had a little fridge logic moment but did we establish how Maiev knows Illidan consumed the Skull of Gul'Dan? Or for that matter how she knows what that even is? She doesn't just know he got a major powerup, she calls out the Skull specifically by name. But if she's been guarding Illidan for ten thousand years then that name should mean nothing to her since Gul'Dan died mere decades ago and the Night Elves (to say nothing of the Wardens stuck in that dungeon) have been entirely cut off from the Eastern Kingdoms, much less Draenor, right? And it doesn't seem like she's on speaking terms with Tyrande or Malfurion at the moment (and definitely not the Alliance or Horde), so I'm not even sure who she could have asked about this.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Illidan does roll up on whoever that dreadlord is with an army, I don’t think any of that was secret.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
Well, unlike Arthas, Illidan didn't remember to murder all his own soldiers, so I think it's easy enough to say one of those nameless archers or druids heard him muttering to himself or getting yelled at by Malfurion, and decided to tell the guy's jailers. Of all the major characters of Warcraft, Illidan's pretty much the champ for "random night elf is likely to have a very reasonable grudge against him."

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I really like Maiev's aesthetic and thought she was cool as hell

Cythereal posted:

Next update has been recorded, and I think it will finally be time to talk about what exactly happened to Suramar, Tyrande's home town.

Oh boy!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Asehujiko posted:

True, but SC2 has a considerably divergence between campaign, coop and multiplayer design so I consider Stalker micro in MP to be somewhat of a separate entity from campaign map layouts.

I think this depends on how tight your definition of blink is. Does it need to be called blink? If not, there's the Chrono Tank from Red Alert Aftermath in 1997.

Chrono Legionnaires in RA2 as well

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Anything with Chrono in the name from the RA series counts. Chrono Commando, Chrono Miner, Chrono Ivan. Though RA2 had the added benefit of you having a variable cooldown, depending on how far across the map you moved

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunately, we're not done with Tyrande's... questionable... choices yet (or, if you prefer, Blizzard's awful writing).

Why is blizz witing (and comics writing in general) bad? I struggle a lot to grasp what goes into creating the results outlined here?

I get the impression that it's like movies, where the thought is placed above what counts and time contraints means that a complete scratch is entirely out of the question. I don't feel that is enough of an explanation, though. Like, even Uwe Boll or someone poo poo get better with time working at the craft they set themself to.

Could it be apathy? A disinterest in being good at a job you hate? How the gently caress does that work, then? "Like, I'd love to argue with Hazzicostas or whatever about his idea of the players getting a naga sex slave plot of the new patch, but eh... don't get paid enough to, better to just go along with it?"

I have no answers and I must know.

DariusJonna fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 19, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Aces High posted:

Anything with Chrono in the name from the RA series counts. Chrono Commando, Chrono Miner, Chrono Ivan. Though RA2 had the added benefit of you having a variable cooldown, depending on how far across the map you moved

Chrono Miners had no variable cooldown, and literally nobody ever used Chrono Ivan

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DariusJonna posted:

Why is blizz witing (and comics writing in general) bad? I struggle a lot to grasp what goes into creating the results outlined here?

We do not know for certain, and probably never will. Blizzard is notoriously opaque about their internal processes, for all the poo poo I give Steve Danuser I do not (and, probably, can not) ever know how much he's actually been responsible for versus how much is him being a figurehead for a nameless, faceless batch of writers, managers, and executives. Based on his tweets I think I can safely blame him for Nathanos, but beyond that is anyone's guess.

If I had to guess, though, the issues with Warcraft's writing come down to a confluence of these factors:

1. Writers who genuinely enjoy writing fascist, sexist, etc drivel. See also the infamous report on the canned first draft of Diablo 4's story where the lead writer for that game made demons gang raping a female NPC a major plot point to the extent of consistently referring to the character in internal communications as 'the raped woman.'

2. Dudebro culture that stifles dissent and attempts to present alternative sides to writing. Read any lawsuit news to learn all you could ever want to know about Blizzard's corporate culture. This is not a culture conducive to multiple points of view in writing, especially those perceived as gay, feminine, etc.

3. Too many cooks in the kitchen with no clear vision handed down and maintained from on top. I strongly suspect that a lot of the inconsistencies in tone and vision for Warcraft stem from bureaucratic infighting as different managers and creators want to make the game (and its successes) 'theirs.'

4. The game's been running too drat long. All the potential of the RTS games has been mined to exhaustion and beyond. They have to keep making up new poo poo, and per point 3, there's no clear and consistent vision for the future of the game. I strongly suspect that Battle for Azeroth and Shadowlands were meant to be the start of a new direction and vision for the game, but the extremely poor critical and financial reception of those games lead to an abrupt swing away from that direction.

5. The people actually making the game are paid too little, and abused too heavily by management (in multiple senses of the term) to care very much about anything beyond trying to make rent and oatmeal this month.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:yikes: + :gonk: + :barf:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

He was the lead writer for Cyberpunk 2077. Parleyed that into a job with Blizzard to be the lead writer of Diablo 4, and that was the result. So violently misogynistic that they scrapped that entire version of the story and cut the character in question completely. She was supposed to be the PC's love interest.

Does a nice job of answering the question 'Who would voluntarily take a job at Blizzard nowadays?'

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cythereal posted:

He was the lead writer for Cyberpunk 2077. Parleyed that into a job with Blizzard to be the lead writer of Diablo 4, and that was the result. So violently misogynistic that they scrapped that entire version of the story and cut the character in question completely. She was supposed to be the PC's love interest.

Does a nice job of answering the question 'Who would voluntarily take a job at Blizzard nowadays?'

Are you referring the Rafal Praszczalek who is credited as writer of Diablo 4, formerly a Business Development Manager at CDPR and showrunner for Edgerunners but not a writer for CDPR.

Edit: NVM it's Sebastian Stępień who was a creative developer at CDPR and head writer of CP2077 and who became a creative director for D4.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 19, 2023

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
I know - and had the displeasure to see for myself - how a deleterious atmosphere can make itself home at the workplace, I can guess how that would negatively impact writing.

But this?

Cythereal posted:

1. Writers who genuinely enjoy writing fascist, sexist, etc drivel. See also the infamous report on the canned first draft of Diablo 4's story where the lead writer for that game made demons gang raping a female NPC a major plot point to the extent of consistently referring to the character in internal communications as 'the raped woman.'

Holy ****. I can't fathom how such a draft could live for so long that it becomes common knowledge outside the firm. It's jumping from toxic into straight up insanity.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

did they get a lifetime supply of shovels or

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
aside from the obvious, massive institutional issues with women, there's another factor we saw at its messiest in the Orc and Night Elf campaigns of WoC

the design process for video games is such that the writers get a little bit of input at the very start of production, spend a year or so twiddling their thumbs, and then near the end of the process they get called in to try to stitch together some kind of narrative frankenstein out of the components they've been given to work with. the Orc and Night Elf campaigns' design document called for them to be fighting the Burning Legion, and at some point late in the process the Legion as a faction got cut, leaving the majority of both to be spent on a bunch of hastily cobbled-together filler that went nowhere. writing a cohesive story under these conditions is basically impossible, and involves a lot of rewriting characters on the fly to be who the game needs them to be THIS week.

this reached its most obvious mess levels in Cataclysm, where Garrosh Hellscream wildly whipsawed all over the place as a character thanks to different arcs in different locations treating him as an entirely different person. -this- arc needs him to be an actually competent commander, and -this- arc needs him to be a bloodthirsty monster out only for the death of those who annoy him. how do they coexist? gently caress you!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mindopali posted:

Holy ****. I can't fathom how such a draft could live for so long that it becomes common knowledge outside the firm. It's jumping from toxic into straight up insanity.

Gun Jam posted:

did they get a lifetime supply of shovels or

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/12/08/diablo-iv-release-date-crunch/

The source of the information in question as far as I can find it. Will point out I'm not trying to defend Blizz on their hiring choices, I was just interested in the statement and went to look it up.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

Gridlocked posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/12/08/diablo-iv-release-date-crunch/

The source of the information in question as far as I can find it. Will point out I'm not trying to defend Blizz on their hiring choices, I was just interested in the statement and went to look it up.

Checked it up too, found the same article, source being apparently fifteen employees - anonymous, due to interdiction of speaking to the press.

That said, considering the high number of articles, the constant stream of developpers leaving for greener pastures who also gladly describe the bad conditions at Blizzard, I'm inclined to believe them.

And that part, holy molly.

Straight from the article:

"The most upsetting management decision for many employees came from Barriga’s pick for creative director, Sebastian Stępień. Stępień, who had been brought on in 2019 to revise the game’s story, was previously creative director on the “The Witcher 3” and head writer on “Cyberpunk 2077.” His decisions were a source of turmoil for the Diablo team, some employees say. While the practice of starting work and then scrapping it if it wasn’t up to par was common at Blizzard, employees said “Diablo IV” underwent a series of particularly disturbing revisions to the script. Stępień did not respond to a request for comment. In 2019, many Blizzard employees were disgusted by a version of the game’s script that repeatedly mentioned the rape of a love interest and referred to this female character as the raped woman as her primary description. Stępień had spent months working on this script, penning it in Polish and having a translator change it to English, according to several employees. Employees pleaded with leadership to revise his version of the story, saying rape had no place in a Blizzard game."