Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Kinda a tangent but how do y’all handle the goon referral? “Oh one of my posting pals from this dead comedy website is a [whatever] you should check them out” or what

Usually "Someone I know through career/industry channels. I don't know them personally, but I know them to be knowledgeable in xyz." and just kinda leave it like that.

In this particular case it's actually passing along to my wife, so it really is "Hey, you know that dumb message board I post on? There's a JD who speaks English, Spanish and Portuguese who might be looking for a job".

dpkg chopra posted:

I goatsed Lockback’s contact. I will only work for True Posters.

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s annual expense planning time. Some real ‘me sowing vs me reaping’ incidents are popping up now that the “expense management” focus is manifesting as smaller numbers on a spreadsheet.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
As I've aged, working in tech "this is my friend from the Internet" has become less and less of a strange way to refer someone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lockback posted:

Usually "Someone I know through career/industry channels. I don't know them personally, but I know them to be knowledgeable in xyz." and just kinda leave it like that.

In this particular case it's actually passing along to my wife, so it really is "Hey, you know that dumb message board I post on? There's a JD who speaks English, Spanish and Portuguese who might be looking for a job".

my wife refers to all of you degenerates as "your [occasionally 'stupid'] internet friends" so this checks out

Baddog
May 12, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my wife refers to all of you degenerates as "your [occasionally 'stupid'] internet friends" so this checks out

Corporate Megathread: Your stupid internet friends

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Noone at work knows I'm a goon and noone on SA knows I have a job. You gotta keep your professional and posting lives separate.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jenkl posted:

noone on SA knows I have a job

They do now!

:boom:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
There is a remarkable goon density at my workplace. :stonk:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

There is a remarkable goon density at my workplace. :stonk:

So it’s just you?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

dpkg chopra posted:

So it’s just you?

There are at least six.

but I always laugh at a good fat joke.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I will take being a goon to my grave, I make sure no one is behind me if I am browsing the forums on my phone just in case someone recognizes it.

Also, getting laid off in about 7 months, I just saw a job that I fulfil all criteria for that is about 3 titles higher than my current role and looks to pay about 2x, and it is 2 miles from my house. I kind of want to shoot my shot, but then I have to update my resume and make a cover letter and miss out on severance and working about 10 hours a week for 6 months. Mainly I just don't want to make a cover letter.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 17, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Pain of Mind posted:

I will take being a goon to my grave, I make sure no one is behind me if I am browsing the forums on my phone just in case someone recognizes it.

"Hey you have an app called awful? That's so weird! What is it?"

"None of your God drat business."

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jenkl posted:

"Hey you have an app called awful? That's so weird! What is it?"

"None of your God drat business."

Does what it says on the label.

-or-

mlyp!!!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, getting laid off in about 7 months, I just saw a job that I fulfil all criteria for that is about 3 titles higher than my current role and looks to pay about 2x, and it is 2 miles from my house. I kind of want to shoot my shot, but then I have to update my resume and make a cover letter and miss out on severance and working about 10 hours a week for 6 months. Mainly I just don't want to make a cover letter.

Chat gpt my goon

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Has anyone ever taken a course from coursera?

I’m just looking to grow some outside skills.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Sundae posted:

E:

Fun with matrix assessments: Many companies perform matrix risk assessments based on Severity x Occurrence Rate x Detectability. Given how many times I've injured myself playing soccer compared to the other two, I'd bet good money that the final matrix scores would put soccer at either the same or higher risk level than dangerous chemicals. :haw:

People hate counterintuitive risk assessment results. Aside from all the usual corporate stories, there was a government scientific advisor in Britain who got forced out after accurately determining that ecstasy (the illegal drug) was overall less dangerous than horseback riding.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Sundae posted:

E:

Fun with matrix assessments: Many companies perform matrix risk assessments based on Severity x Occurrence Rate x Detectability. Given how many times I've injured myself playing soccer compared to the other two, I'd bet good money that the final matrix scores would put soccer at either the same or higher risk level than dangerous chemicals. :haw:

Worked at a place that worked with all the nastiest chemicals in the world. The highest risk factor identified was the street crossing between buildings and they went out of their way to block it off and make people use a vehicle instead. At least they followed through on the assessments

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
A big fancy building that I worked for a huge company in has a declared no-smoking zone throughout their entire precinct, so you have to stand on the public footpath.
One of my colleagues got hit by a car.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

A big fancy building that I worked for a huge company in has a declared no-smoking zone throughout their entire precinct, so you have to stand on the public footpath.
One of my colleagues got hit by a car.

It’s the new smoking cessation program.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

I have two fulltime jobs I'm currenly working and two contacts. I just received offers for two more fulltime jobs that don't pay quite as well, but could be chiller so I'm using them as a backup plan for now. I guess that makes me...

J6.

Seriously though I do have six active jobs right now but I'm only working four of them for the time being. Two of these jobs are just straight up done by GPT-4.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pain of Mind posted:

Mainly I just don't want to make a cover letter.

I will send you samples.
You can make an LLM write them for you.
Half rear end it with an emphasis on you'd love to do this job you're the best candidate for.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Euronymous posted:

I have two fulltime jobs I'm currenly working and two contacts. I just received offers for two more fulltime jobs that don't pay quite as well, but could be chiller so I'm using them as a backup plan for now. I guess that makes me...

J6.

Seriously though I do have six active jobs right now but I'm only working four of them for the time being. Two of these jobs are just straight up done by GPT-4.

How do you use GPT?

I've been trying to use more AI in my work but tbh it usually feels like I could just do a lot of things in my job faster and better myself. But maybe I'm using the tools poorly

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

This was on the wall of my estate lawyer's office. I felt seen.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Good-Natured Filth posted:

This is amazing and I want them

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I want all of these

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

My wife speaks a different dialect it seems, and tells me she'd translate these all as "gently caress you".

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

pmchem posted:

I want all of these

+1

Who among us can find a nice source? I'm lazy and don't want to recreate from scratch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

My wife speaks a different dialect it seems, and tells me she'd translate these all as "gently caress you".

That is definitely true of "per my last email" and "correct me if I'm wrong" but I'd take the rest of them as "Listen you lazy poo poo, you still haven't done the thing you said you'd do."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I assume the "please advise" plaque is secured in an underground lead-lined safe.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Jenkl posted:

Eskimos and snow etc. etc.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

The Mailing Wall

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I never wanted an image as a thread title before now

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

God, if I still worked in an office those would be on my wall in a heartbeat.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

God, if I still worked in an office those would be on my wall in a heartbeat.

You don't get your own office anymore (and you'll love it!), so I hope you like carrying them to and from home every other day.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mllaneza posted:

You can make an LLM write them for you.
Generating corporate drivel is literally my only use case for LLM.

What a G

Jenkl posted:

I mean they all mean that, to a degree.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bajaha posted:

+1

Who among us can find a nice source? I'm lazy and don't want to recreate from scratch.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/99A153FA-131D-4DCA-BB14-9CA574F389BB/search?ref_=ast_bln&terms=Gift%20for%20Colleague%2C%20Friend

I didn't find the black ones, but this store (and a million other knockoffs) sell comparable things.

quote:

I assume the "please advise" plaque is secured in an underground lead-lined safe.

https://www.amazon.com/Poster-Master-Vintage-Typography-Home/dp/B0CCMGL8RK

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

return-to-office came to Zoom. then it came to the metaverse...

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1714326753210929557?s=20

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Friendly reminder is the best because if you have to start your email with that it's only because you've been an absolute unfriendly poo poo in the rest of it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
New pet peeve with e-mails I didn't know I had: People who write "To Whom It May Concern" and then only send the message to one person. Just be honest and open with "Hey rear end in a top hat," or something next time.

quote:

return-to-office came to Zoom

That one kinda blew my mind, because it's an implicit statement that their product isn't good enough. :v:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sundae posted:

New pet peeve with e-mails I didn't know I had: People who write "To Whom It May Concern" and then only send the message to one person. Just be honest and open with "Hey rear end in a top hat," or something next time.

That one kinda blew my mind, because it's an implicit statement that their product isn't good enough. :v:

Nah it's all the other stupid bullshit made up by executives. Tax credits for building occupancy, "face time is important", etc.

I'm really lucky that my current job only requires me to be in the office a couple days a week for a few hours a day and the drive is only 30 minutes either way

There are definitely times when I've had actually useful and productive face to face conversations and meetings with people on my team but there is no good reason at all for a mandate that everyone be in the office 8 hours every day