Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

MacheteZombie posted:

Dashcam was very lol

I turned it on, watched about 5-10 minutes, she put the MAGA hat on and I thought “is this the movie where the horror thread said the terrible lady never gets her comeuppance?” and turned it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

I turned it on, watched about 5-10 minutes, she put the MAGA hat on and I thought “is this the movie where the horror thread said the terrible lady never gets her comeuppance?” and turned it off.

:hmmyes:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
While the lady sucks and irl is a nutjob, the movie puts her through hell and ends with her catching a cough, which can only be read as catching covid. So I wouldn't say there's no comeuppance. It's just not the kind you'd expect from the poo poo happening around her.

My main complaint is that the rapping shtick she does is very unfunny even if that's intentional.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TheBizzness posted:

Yeah I couldn’t stand it because unlike Deadstream the joke isn’t on the terrible main character. Dashcam is built on the core idea that you gotta enjoy that lady’s poo poo just within the context of a horror film.

MacheteZombie posted:

My main complaint is that the rapping shtick she does is very unfunny even if that's intentional.
That movie made me realize that the definition of white privilege is that a white person can get famous and successful by being the worst rapper in the world.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 17, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I couldn’t stand it because unlike Deadstream the joke isn’t on the terrible main character. Dashcam is built on the core idea that you gotta enjoy that lady’s poo poo just within the context of a horror film.

I dont agree that you have to enjoy the lady's poo poo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MacheteZombie posted:

I dont agree that you have to enjoy the lady's poo poo

For whatever it’s worth I’m not saying you have to agree with her or something. You just have to enjoy her antics enough to watch her for 90 minutes as she reacts to the horror movie as opposed to Deadstream where the horror movie is happening to the rear end in a top hat and the humor is in that.

For my part I just got really sick of her poo poo well before the movie ended.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 17, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i said it in the chat but imo for a bad character getting her just deserts by getting covid to mean something i better see her rear end on a ventilator.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

The worst horror movie I’ve ever seen is the elm street remake. It annoyed and offended me and it’s so boring.

That’s up there. Just incredibly boring and dark, like literally dark it looks like poo poo.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

CelticPredator posted:

The worst horror movie I’ve ever seen is the elm street remake. It annoyed and offended me and it’s so boring.
This is mine too even though yeah I've seen movies that are technically way worse. I hated every choice they made making this.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

TheBizzness posted:

While applicable, I think that discussion you recall might also have been about Soft & Quiet.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Shrecknet posted:

That got me thinking, what are the absolute worst horror movies I've seen?

The big one is probably Puppet Master, because making the toys actively working for the Nazis is incomprehensibly bad. Aftershock is up there in my worst-ever just because it has maybe 30 minutes of movie, with a full hour of nothing much happening before it gets to it.

Hellraiser Judgment is actually pretty good - if it wasn't a Hellraiser movie, where it literally throws away 9 movies of lore to shrug and say "yep, it's demons and angels fighting, it's boring as gently caress"

If AASB and Babadook are among the worst movies you've ever seen then you've lived an incredibly charmed life.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Worst I've ever seen, and the movie I will remember on my deathbed for taking up 1 hour and 13 minutes of my life, is Alien Psychosis.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hell of a lot of Babadook disrespect ITT lately.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

If AASB and Babadook are among the worst movies you've ever seen then you've lived an incredibly charmed life.
The shakycam in AASB literally made me sick and I couldn't listen to the shrieking child in Babadook. They aren't necessarily bad due to content, but physiological reactions (derogatory).

embee
Jun 18, 2004

My wife and I got pretty annoyed with Nefarious once we figured out what was happening, we didn't know the politics of it at all.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think there's an argument to be made about the "worst" horror movie one's ever seen not necessarily being the technical worst (in which case it would like be one of the non-Demons Of Ludlow Bill Rebane movies for me) but the one that has the biggest gulf between critical acclaim, perceived quality, and personal enjoyment, to say nothing of reprehensible or disappointing messages or themes, etc. Or of course, ones that are Just Plain Dull. By that logic I think there are plenty of technically great or even critically-acclaimed horror movies that one can consider their worst. I know my two least favorite horror movies were beloved at the time of their release.

But of course, all horror movies are good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Right, I'm firmly of the opinion that the dirt worst thing a movie can be is boring. If I'm engaged by how bad a movie is, that's still leagues ahead of a movie I just can't pay attention to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem is people go to “that’s the worst film” when they really mean “I personally didn’t like that”. So then a whole ton of perfectly competent, mediocre, and even popular films are labeled “complete garbage” or “the worst movie ever” or something because of some kind of sometimes reasonable, sometimes silly individual issue.

Like it’s fine if you don’t like something other people like. It doesn’t have to be a thing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I think there's an argument to be made about the "worst" horror movie one's ever seen not necessarily being the technical worst (in which case it would like be one of the non-Demons Of Ludlow Bill Rebane movies for me) but the one that has the biggest gulf between critical acclaim, perceived quality, and personal enjoyment, to say nothing of reprehensible or disappointing messages or themes, etc. Or of course, ones that are Just Plain Dull. By that logic I think there are plenty of technically great or even critically-acclaimed horror movies that one can consider their worst. I know my two least favorite horror movies were beloved at the time of their release.

But of course, all horror movies are good.

This criteria is pretty much why I have Midsommar and Hereditary at the bottom of my list. I just can't picture anyone watching those films without staring at their cellphones and then I see critical acclaim for them everywhere. I also find it reprehensible to prey on grief in order to elicit an emotional reaction from the audience. I find the cinematography to be hamfisted like when he flipped the camera upside down on the journey to the cult compound to signify Florence Pugh's character life turning upside down (which is high school film maker poo poo). People still like the films but since horror is subjective there's nothing wrong with them liking the films or me disliking them.

Shrecknet posted:

The shakycam in AASB literally made me sick and I couldn't listen to the shrieking child in Babadook. They aren't necessarily bad due to content, but physiological reactions (derogatory).

Shaky cam was whatever I think it lended well to the limited budget they had. You could tell most of the underground area was shot without a ton of props or set work. They had to keep things dark and blurry since they were working with like 5 mil.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t care for the Babadook but a bunch of cool people here do so I just assume I’m wrong :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I honestly do think the elm street remake is the worst movie ever made. I think it’s a film that should be a slam dunk and fairly easy if they just tried. Heck honestly the angle that Freddy is innocent and he’s the hero? Go with that! That would be a great subversion and a fun nod to fans rooting for someone like Freddy

But they just hosed it up. and I’ll go by Jay bauman’s time on set as well as Rooney Mara’s reaction that the whole production was rushed, made with zero love and respect for both the property and film itself and is just a testament to lazy rear end Hollywood. The thing had a budget, talent, and everything you need to make something good. But they just didn’t.

And they cut out so much wacky stuff like there’s scenes of Kyle Gallner’s character getting his head split open and Freddy popping out as well as weird dream imagery that they axed for no reason.

Disgusting.

Compare that with the Friday remake which you can see the care and love put into the concept and film where everyone gave a little bit of a poo poo at what they were doing.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

the one that has the biggest gulf between critical acclaim, perceived quality, and personal enjoyment, to say nothing of reprehensible or disappointing messages or themes, etc.

given present company, rob zombie's halloween 2 is the worse horror movie I've ever seen

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stink Billyums posted:

given present company, rob zombie's halloween 2 is the worse horror movie I've ever seen

you son of a bitch

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

Booooooooooooooooooooo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hey what movie is it where the guy gets corkscrewed to a wall and when they unscrew the murder weapon the body spins?

The Abominable Dr Phibes

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 18, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The worst horror films I've ever seen are all boring and forgettable because they're just random cheap found footage films I see when I'm dumpster diving on tubi. poo poo I'll never remember.
For movies i genuinely genuinely hated but at least were memorable (so not the worst worst)...The Bay, Better Watch Out (edgy white guy bullshit like Freeway), and Train to Busan (im sorry but it's so loving generic Hollywood zombie movie, seriously what is the appeal? Is this for the people who can't tell when writing is bad in anime unless it's dubbed? It got raved about and when i saw it i was like...really yall? This?)
See also: The Den, Mister Creep, As Above So Below, Grave Encounters 2, Rec 3, Come True (had me for the first half tho), The Deep House, The Final Destination (whatever number one that was).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 18, 2023

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
jack-o is still one of the worst ever, even with the linnea quigley shower scene

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Better Watch Out

This would also be on my list of real garbage but for different reasons than Feardotcom and for different reasons than one of the movies named Escape Room and for different reasons than Tales From the Hood 3.

But I liked a lot of the other movies you mentioned (The Bay, Train to Busan). Come True I liked until the ending. It's all subjective, different things piss off or bore different people. I hated The Loved Ones and that has a pretty high average letterboxd rating, it is what it is.

I watched Bit (2019) today which has been mentioned in here a few times recently. It was pretty good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Stink Billyums posted:

Honest, but fair.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Train to Busan rules but maybe it’s because I don’t watch anime?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this feels vaguely racist in a way i am having trouble putting my finger on

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

extremely extremely weird to say that train to busan is bad for reasons I can only describe as "borderline racist"

the appeal is that it's a well-written zombie movie with cool zombies in a cramped setting that has a rock-solid emotional core and enough to say socially that it gives it some heft. But sure, people say it's good because they can't tell if acting in another language is good or bad or whatever

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think ya got what I was saying there...just insert "French film" instead of anime I guess, anime is just very popular and more often dubbed. My point was that it was to its core, a generic Hollywood action/zombie movie, and that's fine, other countries can and should make those, but that also means absolutely nothing about it stood out to me.

Rock solid emotional core? It's the same boring "dad who works too much" bullshit you've seen a thousand times. Everything about it was hyper generic. Bet he was divorced too.

But yeah this is all subjective, like obviously everything I say about a movie is just my opinion

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah that was the most cringy it got, the over the top MAGA stuff went on for way too long but the rapping kills it. Inventive movie though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"Oh man he brought up Korea and japan in the same thought...this sounds racist"- buncha projecting white people

It's funny (and frustrating) being someone who isn't white on these forums because say...every time I point out something like, 300 being incredibly racist and offensive a million white dude goons will pile on me to talk about how "um that was actually the point"

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 18, 2023

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Train to Busan is definitely a step up in quality from generic hollywood, but that doesn't help it stand out that much because the 'pretty good' zombie movie field is relatively crowded. If you're a buff who's seen them all, it's nothing special. If it's the second or third zombie movie you've ever seen, it's a banger.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
could've done without the sappy rear end dad poo poo

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
midsommar is cool because it's boring. like star trek the motion picture. just let me slow down for a few hours

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

could've done without the sappy rear end dad poo poo
Yeah that's kind of the stuff I'm talking about, tho I also just found a lot of the action and other relationships super generic. I'm not saying Train to Busan was a bad movie. That'd be silly.

Danknificent posted:

Train to Busan is definitely a step up in quality from generic hollywood, but that doesn't help it stand out that much because the 'pretty good' zombie movie field is relatively crowded. If you're a buff who's seen them all, it's nothing special. If it's the second or third zombie movie you've ever seen, it's a banger.
Yeah that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

Come True I liked until the ending. It's all subjective, different things piss off or bore different people. I hated The Loved Ones and that has a pretty high average letterboxd rating, it is what it is.
I would've been fine with the batshit Come True ending if it weren't for the gross "relationship".

Like I said the real garbage I've watched I can't even remember.