Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Zarin posted:

LMAO, poo poo, did I just interview with you today? :v:

Realtalk, though, I would think before rescinding the offer the first thing to do would be to reply that it was firm.

That is, unless New Manager really wants to just start over because he didn't like or trust Old Manager to do anything correctly?

It's this exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Zarin posted:

LMAO, poo poo, did I just interview with you today? :v:

Realtalk, though, I would think before rescinding the offer the first thing to do would be to reply that it was firm.

That is, unless New Manager really wants to just start over because he didn't like or trust Old Manager to do anything correctly?

Haha! If it had been you, I'd regret my decision not to push for more salary!

But in general, I think you & the others are correct that New Manager either doesn't like other people's hires in general, or distrusts Old Manager's hires in particular. I incline towards the second guess myself.

Still, I think rescinding would be a bad choice & so pushed pretty hard to just stay firm on the offer instead. I'm pretty confident that's what will happen, but who knows, maybe I'll get overruled!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It would be kinder to the applicant to rescind the offer.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Never understood the thought to pull an offer. You'd almost never pull an offer in so many other facets of negotiations, why is it so common in hiring?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Because you’re facing a dreaded laborer, not a fellow small/intergalactic business owner who’s just out to make a deal.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You're gonna let some shithead come in and entertain making more money than your generous initial offer? Don't they know it's a privilege to be considered for a role programming machines at the dick sucking factory?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

81sidewinder posted:

Never understood the thought to pull an offer. You'd almost never pull an offer in so many other facets of negotiations, why is it so common in hiring?

I have done it. Our of offer was $97k with a posted range of $85-$105k. He countered with $142k. I was just like thanks for your time, we are going to go another direction.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In that case that's what he was communicating to you, in so many words.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Eric the Mauve posted:

The ol’ “gently caress you” money, huh?

I already posted my saga, probably not worth re-hashing, and I’ll never know why they did that poo poo (for <10%!)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would say he was delusional. I floated it to 4 of our consultants and they were laughing. But if he got it somewhere else that is great for him.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I handed in my notice today and just flat out told my direct boss that I'd need an 80% bump to consider staying due to the previous day's bullshit. As it stands I'm getting about a 35% bump when training costs are factored in for this move, so that extra 45% is a clear "tell your boss how badly he's hosed up here".

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Looking for advice on how to approach this offer negotiation.

tl;dr - I'm being asked for a number. We had kinda alluded to $150k pre-interviews. I would at a minimum take $150k. But I don't want to take less.

Quick context: I just completed several rounds of interviews and according to the recruiter the company is "keen" on my candidacy. When she (an external recruiter retained by the org to fill this role) had originally asked for my salary expectations, I asked about the budget for the role, which she gave as $120-150k. I told her that the ranges I'm generally seeing in the market for this type of role average $150-180k, but since there is overlap between their high end and the market low end, I hoped we could work something out. Now, post-interviews, she has asked me what salary number would entice me to take the role, and referenced the $150k. For the record, that number is right around my absolute floor, but...I would take it for the experience and development. I told the recruiter the number would depend on the overall compensation package, as I don't know the extent of the benefits and she wasn't familiar with that info, either, and that I'd have to think it over to give her a number before seeing any offer. When I asked whether offer negotiation would go through her or be direct with the employer, she mentioned that room for negotiation after the initial offer is limited:you have one chance to come back with something and that's it.

Oh, I'm also in the running for the same type of role with another company, where the range actually is $150-180k. But there is at least one more round of interviews to go.

First, two questions: Is it typical for an external recruiter to ask you for your 'yes' number before you receive an offer (and before knowing what the total comp plan included)? And is it typical for offer negotiation to be such a one-and-done process? It's been a long time since I've been in this position.

As to my response: I'm tempted to anchor high by telling her $160k, because I worry if I say that yeah, $150k is fine, they'll just try to drag that down. (I'm also hesitant to anchor any higher than that, because it might feel like to jarring a shift). Thoughts? Again, keeping in mind I don't have the full benefits picture yet.

Should I mention that I'm knee-deep in interviews for another role that is in the market range, or is there a possibility it would work against me? Having recently read "Never Split the Difference" (and then "Start with No"), I've thought about turning this into a calibrated question if there's pushback, "How can I commit to $X if I'm in contention for a role that pays up to $X+20%?" or something to that effect.

I've also thought about just sticking to, "How can I give you a number when I don't know what other elements are involved in the overall comp package?" :shrug:

Thanks in advance for your brutal and practical advice y'all.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 8, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd anchor higher, more like 170k. Do you know benefits/other comp details, etc? If not, anchor high and ask to see those. You can't commit to any number until you do, so this is a good opportunity to anchor high and then let them give you reasons to come down. Let them negotiate against their own benefits.

Yes it is normal for an external recruiter to do that. They are way more likely to lowball you or try to anchor you low. The real range may even be higher, but they are trying to keep you low so its smooth sailing. It won't be one and done.

Yes, you should mention you are interviewing elsewhere. It makes you look more appealing.

You could ask for them to give you a number, but this isn't a "don't say a number first" situation because they already gave a range and already talked numbers with you. If you ask for a number they certainly won't give one over 150k, and will probably try to start lower. If you don't feel able to do my above advice, then certainly you can bounce the ball back but then I think it'll be a larger uphill climb.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Lockback posted:

I'd anchor higher, more like 170k. Do you know benefits/other comp details, etc? If not, anchor high and ask to see those. You can't commit to any number until you do, so this is a good opportunity to anchor high and then let them give you reasons to come down. Let them negotiate against their own benefits.

Yes it is normal for an external recruiter to do that. They are way more likely to lowball you or try to anchor you low. The real range may even be higher, but they are trying to keep you low so its smooth sailing. It won't be one and done.

Yes, you should mention you are interviewing elsewhere. It makes you look more appealing.

You could ask for them to give you a number, but this isn't a "don't say a number first" situation because they already gave a range and already talked numbers with you. If you ask for a number they certainly won't give one over 150k, and will probably try to start lower. If you don't feel able to do my above advice, then certainly you can bounce the ball back but then I think it'll be a larger uphill climb.

Do not know other comp details. Also, neglected to note: I'd asked the the hiring manager for the budget separately, and unlike the recruiter, she hedged, saying they're still figuring out if it'll be a Sr Manager or Director level (I applied for the latter, and Sr Manager would be a showstopper), and giving me an upper bound of $145k, which made me think was not being entirely upfront.

I 100% agree that I don't want to, given the sequence of events to date, throw the ball back in their court. This seems like a great opportunity to pull the conversation in my direction rather than ceding the initiative to them. Interesting to hear that the recruiter is likely to lowball me, but I guess I am not very familiar with their incentive structures (I seem to recall a time when they'd get %age of salary, so it was in their interest to push higher, but maybe I'm misremembering).

At this point, I'm thinking of coming back with something like, "Without knowledge of benefits / other comp details, I can't commit to less than $170k, especially as I'm currently interviewing for a comparable role that is more aligned with market pay." Should I ask her for those benefit/etc details or just leave it at this, since the request is rather strongly implied?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Habibi posted:

At this point, I'm thinking of coming back with something like, "Without knowledge of benefits / other comp details, I can't commit to less than $170k, especially as I'm currently interviewing for a comparable role that is more aligned with market pay." Should I ask her for those benefit/etc details or just leave it at this, since the request is rather strongly implied?

I'd soften that statement somewhat, but yes that is the tact I'd take. Given the salary information you've gotten this sounds a lot like they budgeted for senior manager but are using director title to try to bait people in. So trying to uncover the lowball is probably not a bad idea at this point.

And yes, recruiters make a %, but he knows if he convinces you of 140k then he will 100% land it and can move on, if you want 160, there's way more chance of him getting 0% or it taking longer. Recruiters tend to try to suppress wages to keep the pipeline going.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Lockback posted:

I'd soften that statement somewhat, but yes that is the tact I'd take. Given the salary information you've gotten this sounds a lot like they budgeted for senior manager but are using director title to try to bait people in. So trying to uncover the lowball is probably not a bad idea at this point.

And yes, recruiters make a %, but he knows if he convinces you of 140k then he will 100% land it and can move on, if you want 160, there's way more chance of him getting 0% or it taking longer. Recruiters tend to try to suppress wages to keep the pipeline going.

Thanks for the advice. I'll soften to something like "it's very hard for me to commit" rather than "can't" and throw in a few pleasantries to smooth things over. Although, if you have any thoughts about that given your perspective, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 8, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Basically when candidates are interviewing with me, I don't mind negotiating at all, but it is kinda annoying when people take aggressive stances. Like, we're all adults just talk through it or just say we're not close or whatever. Your statement wasn't bad but I'd err on the side of a softer tone in general.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Negotiating with a new company for salary, I set my expectations at 235k, they came back with 215k, I countered with 225.. I’m a bit surprised because a guy who just joined that I worked with came in at the same level and got the 215k but I have a good 5 plus more years experience than him. I was expecting them give me more of a bump for that!

My only regret is not anchoring higher tbh I should have gone 250.

All figures are in CAD so it’s all funny money :haw:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Oh God, gently caress, I really hosed up now!

I accepted an offer with a different company (and just passed the last offramps) so now I need to have The Conversation with my current boss.

It's not hard, per se, but I always stress about this part the most. Dunno why.

I'm always happy for everyone else that leaves but for me it feels like some kinda betrayal or something, bleh.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Think about all the times they dangled a promotion and it never materialized
Think about all the barely-cost-of-living raises they granted by making sad noises about the budget (while the company posted record profits)
Think about how much money your work made for the company and how little of that money ended up in your pocket
Think about how much you sweated the last time there were rumors about layoffs

Get good and mad. Steel you heart and your eyes. You're going to go get (a fraction of) what's yours, this is how the system is supposed to work

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

FMguru posted:

Think about all the times they dangled a promotion and it never materialized
Think about all the barely-cost-of-living raises they granted by making sad noises about the budget (while the company posted record profits)
Think about how much money your work made for the company and how little of that money ended up in your pocket
Think about how much you sweated the last time there were rumors about layoffs

Get good and mad. Steel you heart and your eyes. You're going to go get (a fraction of) what's yours, this is how the system is supposed to work

:hai:

All excellent points, and ones that I have an example for already even though I haven't been here quite 3 years yet.

Good timing, as my call should be in 45 minutes or so.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
You mean you’re going to BETRAY your FAMILY?! The propaganda works, make no mistake about it. Plus you spend a lot of your life with those people. This system really is about FYGM, and you’re just getting a slightly bigger piece of yours. No shame in it.

If you enjoyed your time, look them in the eye and shake their hand. Even keep ties if it goes that far. Otherwise mumble and shuffle.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Zarin posted:

All excellent points, and ones that I have an example for already even though I haven't been here quite 3 years yet.

They would lay you off the second it becomes more profitable for them to do that instead of keeping you on.

You owe them nothing. You have a contract that says you’ll work for money. As soon as you (or they) want to end the contract you (or they) can.

If they want loyalty they should get a dog.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

You mean you’re going to BETRAY your FAMILY?! The propaganda works, make no mistake about it. Plus you spend a lot of your life with those people. This system really is about FYGM, and you’re just getting a slightly bigger piece of yours. No shame in it.

If you enjoyed your time, look them in the eye and shake their hand. Even keep ties if it goes that far. Otherwise mumble and shuffle.

"Enjoy" is a . . . strong word, here.

I can honestly say that work hasn't been the reason I cried (in a manly fashion, of course) for at least a year and a half :v:

LochNessMonster posted:

They would lay you off the second it becomes more profitable for them to do that instead of keeping you on.

You owe them nothing. You have a contract that says you’ll work for money. As soon as you (or they) want to end the contract you (or they) can.

If they want loyalty they should get a dog.

Appreciate the sentiments, everyone! A good reminder, for sure.

I had no trouble having these thoughts when I was interviewing and exploring other opportunities, but it's another thing when confronted with the reality that I need to part ways now, heh.

Just gotta mark time until the bossman is done with his meeting.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
It is finished.

Based on body language, I am afraid that I may have ruined a man's evening.

:sigh:

:shrug:

"On to the next one."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had similar feelings last week.

Then they told me I was being put on gardening leave (yay!) and then immediately cut my access to everything (okay?) after which colleagues reached out via our bitching backchannel chat to ask if I had really stored up that much leave to request off (lol, the fuckers).

Well rid TBH.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Not sure if this would be the thread for it, but when leaving a job do companies usually cut off RSU vesting if they’re in a notice period?

I have a bunch vesting on Dec2 and trying to figure out how I want to do it with a start date for a new job and when to give notice/last day for on my current one.

Might be a bit of a stretch and I would like to just move over, but if I could make Dec 8 the last day with the vesting in the notice period..

asur
Dec 28, 2012

priznat posted:

Not sure if this would be the thread for it, but when leaving a job do companies usually cut off RSU vesting if they’re in a notice period?

I have a bunch vesting on Dec2 and trying to figure out how I want to do it with a start date for a new job and when to give notice/last day for on my current one.

Might be a bit of a stretch and I would like to just move over, but if I could make Dec 8 the last day with the vesting in the notice period..

While they probably could do so I've never heard of it happening. I'd be more concerned about being immediately fired upon giving notice.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

asur posted:

While they probably could do so I've never heard of it happening. I'd be more concerned about being immediately fired upon giving notice.

Which is one way to cut vesting.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

When it comes to bonuses, vest dates, etc. the safest move is always to wait until the date passes.

Maybe your company is chill about it, maybe they're not. Unfortunately there's only one way to find out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Guinness posted:

When it comes to bonuses, vest dates, etc. the safest move is always to wait until the date passes.

Maybe your company is chill about it, maybe they're not. Unfortunately there's only one way to find out.

Yeah pretty much what I'm thinking. I may just move over sooner, I did ask for a signing bonus to compensate for this loss, but hey if I can get both...

But nah probably will just give my 2 weeks when I accept my written contract hopefully in the next day or two.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Can you take your vacation over the vesting date and drop notice when you get back?

keep a copy of the vacation form/communique for your records obvs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can ask the company hiring you to either push the start date back past the vest date, or compensate you for the money you're losing by way of a sign-on bonus.

But it sounds like you already accepted the offer and agreed on a start date?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Everywhere I've ever been has been cool about letting you vest as long as you give enough notice, etc. But I've heard of the opposite so:

Guinness posted:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Unless they are concerned about your future goodwill, there is a ton of incentive for several people in your management chain or HR to cut off your benefits as early as possible. "Hey boss, I just saved the company $X by screwing this guy that was leaving anyway!" Don't give 'em the chance if you can help it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Unless they are concerned about your future goodwill, there is a ton of incentive for several people in your management chain or HR to cut off your benefits as early as possible. "Hey boss, I just saved the company $X by screwing this guy that was leaving anyway!" Don't give 'em the chance if you can help it.

That kinda thing does spread around though, so it's not just the goodwill of the individual but of the group as a whole. That's why a lot of places will still honor it. The money saved pulling back a vestment is absolute peanuts, probably not something that would be all that impressive up the chain.

That said, I totally agree that if possible avoid the situation entirely because its the exact kind of penny-wise, pound foolish thing that can happen.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

There really isn't incentive for anyone in HR to do it, the important thing is whether it's the standard practice for the company or not. It's not like I get a bonus because I cut off vesting for someone. Regardless, I'd still wait until the date passes and then give your notice. There's still plenty of reasons to term someone in the notice period, or language in the agreement that people tend to gloss over, which could have an impact.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can ask the company hiring you to either push the start date back past the vest date, or compensate you for the money you're losing by way of a sign-on bonus.

But it sounds like you already accepted the offer and agreed on a start date?

No nothing is accepted yet and this is what I’m doing, they initially didn’t match the vesting amount with the sign on and trying to get that boosted.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Zarin posted:

A lot of people at my previous company I spoke with hated it but wanted to work for X years before moving on out of principle.

gently caress it, just walk out, real winners quit. Life is too short to dump years into a job you hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ended up getting more signing bonus, more RSUs from the new company and the start date pushed so my vest with the old company will be in the notice period. From reading the contracts it seems like as long as I am not terminated (ie still working there and getting paid, which I would be they never walk anyone out when they give notice) I should get the vesting as well.

I’ve hedged enough against it so if I don’t it’s not a huge loss but if I do it’d be a really nice bonus. I’m 80% sure I’ll be able to get it but who knows.

Verbally accepted and the contract stuff should be today/tomorrow.