Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

so can you put it in the dishwasher or no?

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i believe that's the v6 and i am seriously considering one

I got the q6 pro which is same layout just wireless and aluminum body:

I replaced the caps cause the ones it comes with are insanely tall but its real nice

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sagebrush posted:

the cable coming out looked like it was the tip of a vape apparatus for a moment and i had a 'of /course/ there's a keyboard with a built-in vape' thought. at least the 105-key yosvape is just vaporware for now

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

vaperware

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
I need a new keyboard. Cared too hard and got an Ergodox EZ that honestly hasn't been great for me, but at least a previous employer paid for it. Anyone that formerly was a model m kid have anything they swear by? (look, i literally grew up with a model m and am mad it's a hipster thing now)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

psiox posted:

I need a new keyboard. Cared too hard and got an Ergodox EZ that honestly hasn't been great for me, but at least a previous employer paid for it. Anyone that formerly was a model m kid have anything they swear by? (look, i literally grew up with a model m and am mad it's a hipster thing now)

there are model m repros you can get that arent too $$$ otherwise the closest thing youll get is heavy box switches on a custom/semi-custom keeb which arent quite the same. what part of the model m experience are you looking to re capture

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bought a c3 pro for work. pretty happy so far, but i really need a nice keyboard tray

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
the gentle curve was very nice, and the keycap shape made it easy to know where you were! plus i'm an idiot and do like the clicks, but as long as it's crisp and not mushy i don't care overly- i think a straight-up model m clickiness is probably too much

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

apparently my sister lives a few blocks from the old lexmark plant where model m is still made. i wonder if they do tours

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its difficult to imagine some bizarre technology created in the stone ages - a buckling spring switch - was the epitome of glorious switching

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
buckling spring was way too clever for the year in which it was invented (1974 or whatever the gently caress). it's very good.

I have an old school M in nice condition, with a ps2 to usb and errything, but it's too big to use on my desk. Neat convo piece tho

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

psiox posted:

Go look at Keychron.com and look at all of their various layout options. Find one you like and then if you're in the US, go buy it from Amazon.com because Keychron's support is terrible outside of China.

Sadly, most Keychron boards are not available with especially clicky switches, so you might want to factor in another $20-$80 for replacement switches, depending on how niche you want to go. Kailh makes a bunch of different options for clicky switches in their Box series. Box Navy are probably the stiffest and loudest, but there are a plethora of choices.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and yeah, try a keychron with blues. if you watch amazon for a few days at least one model with a blue switch option will come up on daily deals or w/e. It might scratch your itch

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Kvantum posted:

Go look at Keychron.com and look at all of their various layout options. Find one you like and then if you're in the US, go buy it from Amazon.com because Keychron's support is terrible outside of China.

Sadly, most Keychron boards are not available with especially clicky switches, so you might want to factor in another $20-$80 for replacement switches, depending on how niche you want to go. Kailh makes a bunch of different options for clicky switches in their Box series. Box Navy are probably the stiffest and loudest, but there are a plethora of choices.

This is good advice I run a q3 with box jades

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

and yeah, try a keychron with blues

imo, and just imo... I don't think someone should go for blues unless they really like clicks

the keychron I've got is solid enough that browns are satisfying enough with the clacks when you bottom out. if this was blues I think I'd be annoyed. imma sell my blues board

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
ty for the good advice! i'm gonna spec this out now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have the keychron yellows and i like them alot

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
yeah, while i kinda like the tactile feel the clickiness itself is a little too much- i think my ergodox has cherry mx browns but it's honestly too mushy. i wish there were a keyboard store to go sample this stuff at :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

psiox posted:

ty for the good advice! i'm gonna spec this out now

my thoughts for whatever they are worth : the keycap material matters more than you might realise

the keychrons with PBT retro style caps.... borderline perfection IMO

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

psiox posted:

yeah, while i kinda like the tactile feel the clickiness itself is a little too much- i think my ergodox has cherry mx browns but it's honestly too mushy. i wish there were a keyboard store to go sample this stuff at :(

I *used* to hate dislike browns, and was a big fan of clears, which are the same mechanism as browns but stiffer, but now on this keychron with the nice caps, I am not having the same issues.

Shaggar posted:

i have the keychron yellows and i like them alot

what the heck are yellows

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

psiox posted:

It's not free but these are definitely a thing on amazon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
would love to experience greys.

browns - 45g activation
clears - 55g activation
greys - 80g activation

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

i feel like i should buy one of these, get what i need out of it, and stick it in one of the little free libraries for the next idiot that needs it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

psiox posted:

i feel like i should buy one of these, get what i need out of it, and stick it in one of the little free libraries for the next idiot that needs it

we could get a real nice one and do a yospos pass-around. it'd work for the NA posters at least

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i bought a little trial pad of keychron's low profiles a few years back and it was worth the nominal price and wait, though it didn't come with keycaps

i went with their optical browns for my k3 (and lucked into the v2 with lava switch colors), and the sampler was handy because i used the white to make my shift way easier to press

though i'm eyeing the k3 pro's features and i like the new keycaps

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that reminds me, i don't have a keychron low pro yet. time 2 wishlistu some things and wait for one o them 20% off dealies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I *used* to hate dislike browns, and was a big fan of clears, which are the same mechanism as browns but stiffer, but now on this keychron with the nice caps, I am not having the same issues.

what the heck are yellows

didnt realize there are actual yellow. I meant the bananas:

they're tactile like browns but the bump comes near the top of the key rather than part way down.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sagebrush posted:

Are those Playstation... keys?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that was my first thought too

---

busted out the k8 pro with reds (and the same caps as that one you just posted) just to 'board it up a little bit before bed. This thing is so heavy and good.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

would love to experience greys.

browns - 45g activation
clears - 55g activation
greys - 80g activation

:eyepop:

Jonny 290 posted:

we could get a real nice one and do a yospos pass-around. it'd work for the NA posters at least

i would join this club

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
btw its my end goal to hack a qmk/via keyboard to pulse a logic line on every keystroke and i'm going to use that to fire a .17 cal powder actuated nailgun blank on every keystroke

lol at your "solenoid keyboard". you want clack? i'll give you clack.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pinball knocker for every key stroke

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i am gonna wire this up when i get some lab space again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yesssss

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

psiox posted:

24 Switch switches Tester with Acrylic Base Blank keycaps for Mechanical Keyboard kailh Box Heavy pro Purple Orange Yellow Gold (Kailh 24 Switch Tester) https://a.co/d/fA2iXn4

$16 from Amazon for 24 different Kailh switches.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
or honestly just wire a keyboard up to trigger the flippers on a working pinball machine. split the kb down the middle and use that for left/right. then make a youtube where you try to Post and get a high score at the same time. you'd get a million views

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
lol you cannot buy ISO keyboards on the polish keychron page

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

they're tactile like browns but the bump comes near the top of the key rather than part way down.

ngl that sounds sweet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got the keychron today

onboarding has not been as flawless… alt tab has bought up the powertoys search bar that should be alt space .. but only sometimes. the space bar is ever so tinny in a way the other wasn’t .. and once when I typed something a bunch of untyped letters came up …

I am hoping maybe it’s teething issues or it settles down… which doesn’t make sense but idk. maybe bumped around in transit and just needs to settle

anyway looks fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I've been trying a few new tactile switches and my new favourites are Gateron Baby Kangaroos. Factory lubed and just the right amount of tactility for me