Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I still think this is Tom's magnum opus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVho5fU3lwc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
every tom cardy song is a banger but only some give you advice about finding things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9kqhzQ-8Q

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Entropic posted:

I still think this is Tom's magnum opus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVho5fU3lwc

This is good but HYCYBH is the peak for me. Evergreen laugh on the key change.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I will always love Big Breakfast the most

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Jesus Christ couldn't they have turned Travis's mic down?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

grittyreboot posted:

lol

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

If he's going to shout over everyone anyway might as well have his mic louder

Colonel Whitey posted:

I will always love Big Breakfast the most

My Secret Shame is my favourite, I almost find myself singing along to a silly comedy song

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If he's going to shout over everyone anyway might as well have his mic louder

My Secret Shame is my favourite, I almost find myself singing along to a silly comedy song

Not Quite Almost Christmas Time is the singalong jam for me, especially as we drift into that time of year.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/DgMnCLHQuqc?si=u06pXZVaWJTy8LZD

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

jeeves posted:

Jesus gently caress the Keyboard cat girl sounded like some real inheritor of wealth spoiled brat poo poo without even being an actual nepobaby.

I didn't really pick up on anything offensive. I'll grant it was pretty weird that she said the cat was reincarnated twice apparently not as a joke. But she didn't sound like some kinda trust fund kid

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

grittyreboot posted:

I didn't really pick up on anything offensive. I'll grant it was pretty weird that she said the cat was reincarnated twice apparently not as a joke. But she didn't sound like some kinda trust fund kid

I thought she was pretty funny

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i didn't want to click anything but then you said keyboard catgirl

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That question made me realize that Keyboard Cat and Cat on a Keyboard in Space are two different things.

E: if you want to take trust fund kid shots at anyone in this episode, the person who brought back a painting from a European cruise was right there.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 19, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

grittyreboot posted:

I didn't mean trust fund kid, it just had a lot of "guys I'm kind of a big deal (for something my dad did and I had nothing to do with at all but I am still gonna cash dem checks!)" energy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean, it is an advice show for the modren era.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Steeplechase ending was so good. Great season, they hit everything they were going for, no notes. Now bring on Ethersea II!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Android Blues posted:

The Steeplechase ending was so good. Great season, they hit everything they were going for, no notes. Now bring on Ethersea II!

yeah I really enjoyed Steeplechase. Stakes never escalated in a way that felt unearned, which goes a long way, and I enjoyed the lil twists here and there

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Have they learned any rules, at all, about anything involved with the game they’re playing or is it still Calvinball with dice rolling sfx added in the background?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Of course, rules lawyers would loathe adventure zone

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If they want to make a radio play they should just do it, but there’s a fundamental difference between rule one and making a game not a game and thus completely removing the actual dramatic interest of actual play. Every win is meaningless because it’s authored and stakes don’t exist because there isn’t any actual danger. Let alone fundamental elements of ttrpgs these three dudes still somehow don’t know after a decade of monetizing knowledge of ttrpgs.

Like remember how Justin learned that spell slots existed? This year? Due to a video game?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PoE encounter spell rules were much better anyway

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It would be nice if bad things would happen to their characters outside of the plot elements meant to be minor obstacles. Really seems like the spirit of "no bummers" lives on through TAZ

Also blades in the dark seems super cool but I didn't get the impression they touched a lot of the mechanics. how many times was the gang level thing even brought up?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 20, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I was hoping they’d engage with it some but I’ve been happy enough with the result regardless.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

NieR Occomata posted:

Like remember how Justin learned that spell slots existed? This year? Due to a video game?

Please refer to Murder on Rockport Limited, chapter three to show that he in fact hewrd of the concept in 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
TAZ is actually about play similar to how MBMBAM is actually about advice.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Honestly I'd be, and am, satisfied with a radio play that requires success rolls. I want there to be stakes to the improv, but I like that the story takes precedence in stuff like Adventure Zone and Dungeons and Daddies. I don't need adherence to the rules so much as a chance to fail and force a completely different route, something which Adventure Zone does lack quite often.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Granted I haven’t listened to the final episode, but that what I thought this final part lacked — everything seems to have come very easily and no threat seemed really dangerous.

Also the fact that everyone they ever met all just happened to get together off screen to come to their rescue is hilarious at how convenient it is. I really was expecting them to get out of new kidadelphia, then the final arc would involve them having to go and find these people to put the group together themselves

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I figured the same, that episode 42 would be the escape and the series would wrap up by 60.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I have no idea what happened to the rocket.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Zutaten posted:

Honestly I'd be, and am, satisfied with a radio play that requires success rolls. I want there to be stakes to the improv, but I like that the story takes precedence in stuff like Adventure Zone and Dungeons and Daddies. I don't need adherence to the rules so much as a chance to fail and force a completely different route, something which Adventure Zone does lack quite often.

I feel like a roll failing and them having to do something completely different doesn't happen that much. It's honestly my number one criticism of taz in general having listened to other actual plays, the rolls generally feel like they don't really matter that much because, as they've said in the past, they don't like the idea of rolls "getting in the way" of telling the story. Though I'd argue that the rolls help tell a more interesting story and create more interesting improv!

That being said, I just got to New kidadelphia and this season has been a big step up from the past few. Never did listen to ethersea though

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I liked early Ethersea. I honestly think that rolling a 1 should have just given the main cast the fish disease. That'd have kept the stakes low for longer

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

This is actually my biggest complaint with Steeplechase: it's Old Kidadelphia! They got dumped in Old Kidadelphia, the layer that used to be Kidadelphia before they abandoned it and made New Kidadelphia, which presumably is still operating. Griffin kept loving it up and eventually Justin just forgot.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Griffin just could not get it, yeah. It didn't bother me but it's definitely noticeable (and kinda funny).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The choice is not binary between telling a good story and actually, like, playing the game of DnD; see also NADDPOD or D20, two infinitely superior actual play products that also not coincidentally follow the rules. They’re still funny, the players’ choices still have weight and meaning, but the DMs for both understand that one the whole reason that games are interesting is that they have rules and those rules create constraints and force their players to think creatively within the restrictions they set, and two rule enforcement creates better storytelling and not worse because every victory within their restrictions is earned. So no, Brian Murphy nor Brennan Lee Mulligan let their players cast from the entire spell book nonstop, nor lets their players take fifteen actions a turn, nor never actually punishes their players for any action they take as their storytelling has to override player agency no matter what, and yet surprisingly they both still tell good, emotive, funny stories with stakes and meaning. Weird.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

NieR Occomata posted:

The choice is not binary between telling a good story and actually, like, playing the game of DnD; see also NADDPOD or D20, two infinitely superior actual play products that also not coincidentally follow the rules. They’re still funny, the players’ choices still have weight and meaning, but the DMs for both understand that one the whole reason that games are interesting is that they have rules and those rules create constraints and force their players to think creatively within the restrictions they set, and two rule enforcement creates better storytelling and not worse because every victory within their restrictions is earned. So no, Brian Murphy nor Brennan Lee Mulligan let their players cast from the entire spell book nonstop, nor lets their players take fifteen actions a turn, nor never actually punishes their players for any action they take as their storytelling has to override player agency no matter what, and yet surprisingly they both still tell good, emotive, funny stories with stakes and meaning. Weird.

Beverly getting utterly wrecked because he tried to play a prank on a god was a fantastic example of this

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh boy, we haven’t gone around this section of track in a minute. I play “they should do pathfinder” in defense mode and end my turn.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Screw that Shadowrun with paper character sheets. That's the way to play

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Chainmail, RAW.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Warbird posted:

Oh boy, we haven’t gone around this section of track in a minute. I play “they should do pathfinder” in defense mode and end my turn.

The McElroys play Pot of Greed in attack position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
FATAL actual play