Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BiggerBoat posted:

I love the original Halloween movie and watch it every year but, man, the female leads except for Jamie Lee Curtis deliver some terrible loving acting. Usually, that'll take me right out of a film but it's a testament to John Carpenter's skill as a director here that the movie overcomes it.

Totally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Crazy too as P.J. Soles is fine in other things.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah that's weird, as Carpenters usually pretty good at getting good performances out of actors -even if sometimes it's more intentionally on the hammy side for some movies- so no idea what's up with that.

Only other movie I can remember of his with actual bad performances was Ghost of Mars, and well that movie had all sorts of problems.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

dr_rat posted:

Yeah that's weird, as Carpenters usually pretty good at getting good performances out of actors -even if sometimes it's more intentionally on the hammy side for some movies- so no idea what's up with that.

Only other movie I can remember of his with actual bad performances was Ghost of Mars, and well that movie had all sorts of problems.

I kind of chalk that up to Carpenter's budget I think.

I've gotten the impression that the film was done on a shoestring with a tight schedule and it's likely he didn't have a lot of chances for retakes. You look at the difference in acting talent on screen with something like Escape From New York or The Thing and it's night and day with what winds up on screen. Halloween is still one of the rare films I can watch over and over, though, just because it's so great to LOOK at. I love the lighting, the framing/composition of shots and just the general atmosphere; plus of course the score.

Overall, it's pretty tame by slasher film standards and one would expect the emphasis on suspense to deliver diminishing returns but I still pop it in every year. That last 10 or 20 minutes remains totally epic.

Do a shot or chug a beer every time she says it. I tried it once.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

dr_rat posted:

The Ward. bad performances all around. the on Carpenter movie i would like to scrub from memory

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What about memoirs of an invisible man? Just kidding, nobody saw that one because it's invisible and terrible

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I never watched Memoirs of an Invisible Man in its entirety but I recalled liking what I watched.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There's some good stuff in there, but a terminal case of Chevy Chase-itis.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

There's some good stuff in there, but a terminal case of Chevy Chase-itis.

An inflammation of the Chevy?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Didn't Carpenter only direct Memoirs of an Invisible Man as a professional favor because Ivan Reitman or Robert Zemeckis or whoever was the original director quit/got fired because he couldn't stand Chevy Chase?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Didn't Carpenter only direct Memoirs of an Invisible Man as a professional favor because Ivan Reitman or Robert Zemeckis or whoever was the original director quit/got fired because he couldn't stand Chevy Chase?

I couldn't find anything about that, but from an AV club thing, yeah apparently he really didn't like Chase and was thinking about quitting films altogether afterwards. To quote:

quote:

“God, I don’t want to talk about why, but let’s just say there were personalities on that film,” he continues. “He shall not be named who needs to be killed. No, no, no, that’s terrible. He needs to be set on fire. No, no, no. Anyway, it’s all fine. I survived it.”
https://www.avclub.com/john-carpenter-memoirs-of-an-invisible-man-chevy-chase-1849979153

But yeah, just how out of his normal type of films it is I wouldn't be surprised.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I won't hear anyone speak bad of Chevy Chase, considering his turn as Mel Gibson on Law & Order. "Hey, sugartits!"

Seriously, if there ever was brilliance in casting a now and a there-but-by-the-grace-of-God pair, that was it.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

William Goldman mentions some stuff in his book Which Lie Did I Tell? as well.

tldr Chevy Chase wanted to make a serious film about the existential loneliness of being invisible and everybody else wanted to make a comedy movie utilising Chevy Chase.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Monica Bellucci posted:

William Goldman mentions some stuff in his book Which Lie Did I Tell? as well.

tldr Chevy Chase wanted to make a serious film about the existential loneliness of being invisible and everybody else wanted to make a comedy movie utilising Chevy Chase.

I shall quote myself from this thread three years ago.

Torquemada posted:

John Carpenter replaced Ivan Reitman during production due to Chevy being an rear end in a top hat. A large part of the story of the pre-production is recounted in William Goldman’s ‘Which Lie Did I Tell?’: in it, he makes it very clear to CAA (the agency that represented all three of them) that he, Reitman and Chase were never going to be able to make a movie together because they had different ideas of what the movie should be.
Goldman wanted to work with Reitman because he thought he had a good chance of making a great special effects-comedy with the guy who did ‘Ghostbusters’. Reitman liked Goldman’s work on ‘Butch Cassidy’ and ‘All The President’s Men’. CAA threw in Chevy Chase, who was pretty bankable if you were throwing together a comedy in 1990.
The best line in Goldman’s story is the most telling: “I had no problem exploring ’the loneliness of invisibility’, I just didn’t want to explore it with Chevy Chase.”

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Torquemada posted:

I shall quote myself from this thread three years ago.

...:respek:? Or no?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

:respek:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I loving hate the things I've learned about Chevy Chase but I really love Fletch, The Vacation movies, Caddyshack, Foul Play and Seems like Old Times. I can't think of another actor that I dislike so much but dig so many of their movies.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

I loving hate the things I've learned about Chevy Chase but I really love Fletch, The Vacation movies, Caddyshack, Foul Play and Seems like Old Times. I can't think of another actor that I dislike so much but dig so many of their movies.

He's great on community too

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

True.

I guess that's an IIMM for me over the last 5 or 10 years. I mean, enjoying movies from actors and directors that I pretty much know are huge assholes. Or criminals even. Sucks that so many transgressions take away from my enjoyment of Take the Money and Run or Glengarry Glen Ross because Woody Allen, Kevin Spacey and Alec Baldwin loving suck at being human beings. Tarantino and Kubrick brush up on this boundary a lot of times too and it bums me out.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I remember reading Memoirs of an Invisible Man and really liking it until halfway through when I learned the movie adaptation starred Chevy Chase and it honestly ruined the book somehow

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

True.

I guess that's an IIMM for me over the last 5 or 10 years. I mean, enjoying movies from actors and directors that I pretty much know are huge assholes. Or criminals even. Sucks that so many transgressions take away from my enjoyment of Take the Money and Run or Glengarry Glen Ross because Woody Allen, Kevin Spacey and Alec Baldwin loving suck at being human beings. Tarantino and Kubrick brush up on this boundary a lot of times too and it bums me out.

For years, when I was a kid, I confused Woody Allen with Woody Harrelson and could not figure out how such a young looking guy had married his daughter and it wasn't all over the loving news.

poo poo, people still say Roman Polanski didn't do anything super wrong and he's made such great art so who cares? Meanwhile all I can see is a loving rapist, so who cares about the art?

IIMM: finding out recently that Kevin James is apparently so super loving religious if there are any scenes where he's in a library, any books about evolution have to be removed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Where exactly did the blue fog/haze around ghosts thing come from??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's wrong with a dead ghost person just looking normal?? The fact that they died but here they are alive somehow is creepy as gently caress already. I don't need props

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
First Chevy Chase thing comes to mind is the IDW Ghostbusters comics, which go on from the movies, introduced a con man running a knockoff Ghostbusters who ends up arrested and then joining the Ghostbusters on work-release who's a hilarious rear end in a top hat and clearly 'played' by Chevy Chase.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

BiggerBoat posted:

I kind of chalk that up to Carpenter's budget I think.

I've gotten the impression that the film was done on a shoestring with a tight schedule and it's likely he didn't have a lot of chances for retakes. You look at the difference in acting talent on screen with something like Escape From New York or The Thing and it's night and day with what winds up on screen. Halloween is still one of the rare films I can watch over and over, though, just because it's so great to LOOK at. I love the lighting, the framing/composition of shots and just the general atmosphere; plus of course the score.

I’d highly recommend checking out Netflix’s The Movies That Made Us as they have an episode about Halloween. Yes, it was made on an incredibly laughable budget which resulted in a lot of stuff happening on the fly. If I remember correctly, there’s a bunch of shots where they had to just have a guy on the crew be Michael for some reshot stuff.

It’s a good series for neat behind the scenes stuff, like finding out the special effects guys on Friday the 13th nearly permanently blinded a person because the fake blood they used.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

probably carbon monoxide poisoning

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Looks cool/eerie.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The transparency came from photography and double exposures and what not. I think fog haze sort of just evolved off that.

if you're intentionally doing long exposures sometimes you will get fuzzy edges and what not. Also it's an easy thing to do in animation to show something different?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

He’s not acting in Community. That’s just him

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Joey Freshwater posted:

He’s not acting in Community. That’s just him

I think there's more nuance to Pierce in the first two seasons. Season 3 is just chevy

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine being one of the biggest actors in the world for a really short time because even by Hollywood standards you're such an arrogant dick that no one wants to work with you.

That's like being too much of a chud to work a taxi driver or too foul mouthed to work as a sailor.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Finally watched the first 8 episodes of The Lazarus Project.

Episode 7/8 spoilers:

You've memorized the schedules of randos on walks but it took you this long to notice your neighbor is a paramedic??? Like I get there wouldn't have been as much content otherwise but drat. Like you didn't even check him out with your app to see if there were better ways to get him away?

And of course the whole reason for the main plot he just ... forgets about and lets happen again the first time back because he's on his phone lmao

Plenty of other stuff of course, it comes with the territory, but I'll still be watching the next part when it starts back up in November just to see where they go with it.

stringless has a new favorite as of 08:39 on Oct 16, 2023

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

FFT posted:

Finally watched the first 8 episodes of The Lazarus Project.

Episode 7/8 spoilers:

You've memorized the schedules of randos on walks but it took you this long to notice your neighbor is a paramedic??? Like I get there wouldn't have been as much content otherwise but drat. Like you didn't even check him out with your app to see if there were better ways to get him away?

And of course the whole reason for the main plot he just ... forgets about and lets happen again the first time back because he's on his phone lmao

Plenty of other stuff of course, it comes with the territory, but I'll still be watching the next part when it starts back up in November just to see where they go with it.

IIMM: Why Would An Ambulance Be Leaving My Neighbour's House?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Black Stones posted:

I’d highly recommend checking out Netflix’s The Movies That Made Us as they have an episode about Halloween. Yes, it was made on an incredibly laughable budget which resulted in a lot of stuff happening on the fly. If I remember correctly, there’s a bunch of shots where they had to just have a guy on the crew be Michael for some reshot stuff.

You're not thinking of Nick Castle, are you? Tony Moran played Michael in the scene where he was unmasked, but the rest of the time it was Castle.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The bad guy's entire plan in 1987's The Living Daylights.

General Koskov has his boss Pushkin give $30m to an arms dealer for laser weapons. Then the arms dealer sits on the cash for six weeks, not doing anything. During this time Koskov "defects" to the west to convince the British intelligence service that his boss has gone crazy and is assassinating spies, in the hope that they will send James Bond to kill Pushkin. Then Koskov is "re-captured" by the Russians, all according to his plan.

With his boss out of the way, his big-brain idea is to now use the $30m to buy diamonds, use those diamonds to buy $500m in Afghani heroin, then turn an even bigger profit by selling the heroin to parties unknown, and then buy the laser weapons anyway.

Why couldn't Koskov have just bought heroin in the first place? Making a profit of $$$$ on a $30m investment seems like a no-brainer and would set him up as the golden child within the party, which seemed like his goal the whole time. The Mujaheddin were happy to trade with Russia and if he wanted a promotion there are many easier ways of killing one's boss than this convoluted plot of being rescued by MI6.

Why did the arms dealer, who had nothing to gain and quite a bit to lose by stiffing the Russians, agree to this plan to begin with? I get that he wanted the heroin, but Koskov could have cut out the middle man (himself) and just delivered heroin to the arms dealer in payment for weapons rather than knowingly tarnish the guy's reputation for no sensible purpose.

I know picking on Bond films is almost cheating, but the plot was so unnecessarily convoluted that a tighter, more focused story would have elevated the story and made Timothy Dalton's first foray as Bond really pop.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FreshFeesh posted:

The bad guy's entire plan in 1987's The Living Daylights.

General Koskov has his boss Pushkin give $30m to an arms dealer for laser weapons. Then the arms dealer sits on the cash for six weeks, not doing anything. During this time Koskov "defects" to the west to convince the British intelligence service that his boss has gone crazy and is assassinating spies, in the hope that they will send James Bond to kill Pushkin. Then Koskov is "re-captured" by the Russians, all according to his plan.

With his boss out of the way, his big-brain idea is to now use the $30m to buy diamonds, use those diamonds to buy $500m in Afghani heroin, then turn an even bigger profit by selling the heroin to parties unknown, and then buy the laser weapons anyway.

Why couldn't Koskov have just bought heroin in the first place? Making a profit of $$$$ on a $30m investment seems like a no-brainer and would set him up as the golden child within the party, which seemed like his goal the whole time. The Mujaheddin were happy to trade with Russia and if he wanted a promotion there are many easier ways of killing one's boss than this convoluted plot of being rescued by MI6.

Why did the arms dealer, who had nothing to gain and quite a bit to lose by stiffing the Russians, agree to this plan to begin with? I get that he wanted the heroin, but Koskov could have cut out the middle man (himself) and just delivered heroin to the arms dealer in payment for weapons rather than knowingly tarnish the guy's reputation for no sensible purpose.

I know picking on Bond films is almost cheating, but the plot was so unnecessarily convoluted that a tighter, more focused story would have elevated the story and made Timothy Dalton's first foray as Bond really pop.

I think the only way it makes sense is if Koskov and Whittaker are planning on keeping the $470m to themselves - he clearly isn't a believer in communism based on what we see of him. I agree that it's too convoluted and doesn't even really imply that this is the case though. The plot is a mess but it's still my favourite Bond movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Been watching The Killing and the rain in this show is driving me nuts. Yes, we all know it rains in Seattle. It does not have a torrential downpour like this every day! The city would be flooded on the reg if it did.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Imagine being one of the biggest actors in the world for a really short time because even by Hollywood standards you're such an arrogant dick that no one wants to work with you.

That's like being too much of a chud to work a taxi driver or too foul mouthed to work as a sailor.

It’s amazing because it’s not even like he was a sex pest (as far as I know) or anything like that he’s just such a huge rear end in a top hat, even people who are known to be assholes are like “gently caress that guy, he sucks”

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Henchman of Santa posted:

Been watching The Killing and the rain in this show is driving me nuts. Yes, we all know it rains in Seattle. It does not have a torrential downpour like this every day! The city would be flooded on the reg if it did.

The only person putting any effort into The Killing was whoever operated the rain machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s amazing because it’s not even like he was a sex pest (as far as I know) or anything like that he’s just such a huge rear end in a top hat, even people who are known to be assholes are like “gently caress that guy, he sucks”

Movie and TV making are looooooong hours and you learn pretty quickly that you do not want an arsehole on set if you can help it.