Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Froghammer posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat as a persona is functionally identical to being an rear end in a top hat. There's a whole Kurt Vonnegut quote about it.

I literally just watched a Dark Side of Comedy episode about Andrew Dice Clay 2 hours ago. Yeah, he was an rear end in a top hat overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Spinz posted:

I still am flabbergasted at how Game of Thrones was rushed at the end, I still just can't believe it.

What's even funnier is they took a year off to supposedly try to get the story and filming scenes just right.

I've never seen something go from such high quality to low quality like Game of Thrones. And it's such a weird thing too. Like, these were the same people working on it the entire time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Winona Ryder shoplifting just made me like her more tbh

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What's even funnier is they took a year off to supposedly try to get the story and filming scenes just right.

I've never seen something go from such high quality to low quality like Game of Thrones. And it's such a weird thing too. Like, these were the same people working on it the entire time.

One of the retrospective things talked about the way they wrote scripts was like 3-5 people would write character plots and dialogue and stuff on their own, then they’d just hand them off to each other and everyone would just edit each others scripts before they just mashed it all together.

Hearing that just made me wonder how it ever managed to be good. Assumedly because they were still constrained by GRRMs major plot beats until season 5/6.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Thom Brennaman was a Major League Baseball commentator and he dropped the f-slur on a hot mic. This led to the worst apology of all time and a meme in which our own SAS subforum references.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LECJbMDhJQ

He's now broadcasting high school sports

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

I would imagine she got a decent paycheck for Stranger Things

That was still almost 2 decades after the shoplifting incident. Her being caught stealing basically killed her career and reputation for years, so much so that it became a running joke on film sets for other actors and crew to ‘watch their wallets’ in case she tried to steal poo poo again. She ended up just doing smaller indie films and bit parts in stuff for a long time before Stranger Things came along because the incident meant she was essentially blacklisted from Hollywood.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Thom Brennaman was a Major League Baseball commentator and he dropped the f-slur on a hot mic. This led to the worst apology of all time and a meme in which our own SAS subforum references.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LECJbMDhJQ

He's now broadcasting high school sports

So this video led me to a truly amazing discovery. I am not a baseball fan, but as I understand it, Nick Castellanos (the dude who interrupted Brennaman with a home run) has some sort of latent superpower that activates every time he senses a commentator trying to be deadly serious about something.

It's like an absurdist sketch comedy bit. Nobody is allowed to eulogize or memorialize or apologize without this dude just absolutely cranking a loving dinger. Next time I receive really terrible news I'm going to assume Nick Castellanos is hitting a home run about it somewhere.

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.

Gatto Grigio posted:

Speaking of pro wrestling and career-ending fails… how about that Hulk Hogan sex tape?
The sex tape didn’t kill Hogan’s career. Being publicly outed as a racist ALMOST did. WWE fired him in 2015, removed him from the WWE Hall of Fame, and wiped all mentions of him from its website and WWE 2K games. But, in 2018, WWE reinstated Hogan, reinstated him into the Hall of Fame, and eventually inducted him AGAIN as part of the NWO.

Hulk Hogan’s career won’t die unless he pulls an OJ Simpson.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Busters posted:

The "Rick and Morty Sounds Wrong" thread reminded me that funnyman Justin Roiland turned out to be a poo poo sack, and some of his jokes about toxic relationships weren't jokes.

Which also reminded me of Unknown Hinsion. Who was canceled for attacking Dolly Parton and BLM.

Three things about that: Hinsion's whole character was bombastic, crude and over the top. Maintained it for so long that it became him. He would say things like he founded the entire Country Western Genre and claimed he was more talented than any other artist out there. To quote the man: "Ahm every woymans dream. Ah sold moar records than Elvis and them there Beatles together"

What I'm saying is, it's not clear that his horrible comments weren't just shitposting

Secondly, dude is old as hell. I don't expect him to have an informed or progressive opinion. I'm not looking to him for moral guidance, and he's spending all the money he gets on alkehol, boner pills, getars and fake teeth.

Thirdly, he apologized. And not one of those "sorry you didn't get my jokes" apologies. He acknowledged he said the wrong thing.

But Squidbillies is nothing without his voice. I think they got canned, or on indefinitely hiatus, because the new voice isn't good enough.

quote:

Dear friends, I have sincerely apologized for my post regarding Dolly Parton, BLM, race and everything. I apologized for my actions, my bad choice of words and any offense I may have caused to anyone. I don’t know what else you want from me. If you’re not satisfied with my apology, just tell me what else you want.

Sure sounds like a sincere apology to me, and not at all a "please don't fire me from my job" apology

And let's see just what it was that he said that caused all this controversy in the first place:

Yep, looks like some harmless ol' shitposting to me, and most certainly not the angry rantings of someone who's truly a racist piece of poo poo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Posting under his real name really defeats the “it’s a character” lie

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Also Squidbillies didn't get put on "indefinitely hiatus" because "because the new voice isn't good enough". They fired Hinson and replaced him with Tracy Morgan as a "gently caress you" to him. I don't know how the OP got "the new voice isn't good enough" out of that, when it was Hinson being a racist shitbag that made them decide to cancel the show in the first place.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m a fan of Squidbillies and Hinson fully deserved to get shitcanned to the moon for what he said. There is no defense nor “but it is joke” bullshit to justify it. Sorry the world has changed and his dumbass ran back in time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although Tracy Morgan is also a garbage person who said some extremely homophobic stuff.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Although Tracy Morgan is also a garbage person who said some extremely homophobic stuff.

Yeah, gently caress him too. I haven’t seen the newer episodes but there are far better people to replace Hinson with. Honestly a rotating voice cast would have been cool.

Did they ever solve that issue with Roiland?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

remigious posted:

Kat Von D is so disappointing to me. I used to think she was such hot poo poo and I gobbled her makeup line up. Then it came out that she is antisemitic and an all around lovely person and I had to find dupes for basically all of my favorite makeup staples. It looks like she is really into Jordan Peterson too :(
gently caress her and those other rich shitbags that buy estates in states without income tax to dodge paying their fair share.

She's married to the guy from Prayers and that's a big :yikeseroo:.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Froghammer posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat as a persona is functionally identical to being an rear end in a top hat. There's a whole Kurt Vonnegut quote about it.

This is basically the Andrew Dice Clay Clause.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

teen witch posted:

I’m a fan of Squidbillies and Hinson fully deserved to get shitcanned to the moon for what he said. There is no defense nor “but it is joke” bullshit to justify it. Sorry the world has changed and his dumbass ran back in time.

Yep, SB was one of my favorite Adult Swim shows here as well. The drat thing of it is, of all things to make Hinson out himself as a complete shitbag like that, it was going off on Dolly Parton for supporting BLM. Dolly Parton. That woman is almost universally beloved. What the gently caress did he think was going to happen?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

teen witch posted:

:yeah:

I can't believe I didn't watch Squidbillies until this year. Show kicks rear end. Glad we can watch it without him getting any royalties (I think).

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

emSparkly posted:

:yeah:

I can't believe I didn't watch Squidbillies until this year. Show kicks rear end. Glad we can watch it without him getting any royalties (I think).

Adult Swim didn't give C. Martin Croker or Carey Means jack poo poo, I can't imagine they're paying anyone else.

poo poo, Dana Snyder did a cameo about slurp juicing apes

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Improbable Lobster posted:

She went full bigot shortly after her loss, I have no respect for her and even less for the UFC and their dipshit ownership

There's plenty of things to criticise Ronda on. I know she's been truthing about Sandy Hook for instance. We shouldn't invent false reasons to criticise someone when real ones exist. The two things I called out in my post (history revising and being shamed for retiring once it was clear that the sport had passed her by) are a problem in the martial arts community and should not be done. If it's normal to do against fighters with bad politics, then it's normal to do against the others too. We should criticise people/fighters for what they've actaully said and done, not for reasons we invented.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

teen witch posted:

I think she simply couldn’t take the L.

Okay I know this was two pages ago but it's driving me nuts. What the hell is the L? The lesbian? The love? The loss? The limelight?

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Well jeez, those posts are way worse than I remember them being. I thought he did them on the Hinson Account. But Stuart Baker is the real man, and those aren't jokes.

What an utter fuckhead, I guess the character just stops short of his persona. But that begs a further question: why did he spend years mocking conservatives and "rednecks" as one of the most through parodies of "southern" culture? There's no way he isn't in on the joke.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

... Dolly Parton. That woman is almost universally beloved. What the gently caress did he think was going to happen?

And this is why I keep going back to thinking it was shitposting. It's like saying the Beatles are no-tallent hippies. It SOUNDS like the Hinson character. Spitting on someone who you'd never EVER attack. Someone who's contributed a huge amount to country music. Hinson would call her a "big tittied floozy who don't know nothin 'bout a nine ta five". Because that's the ego of the character.

But... it's not... he got the fox news boomer mind rot.

Busters fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 18, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

credburn posted:

Okay I know this was two pages ago but it's driving me nuts. What the hell is the L? The lesbian? The love? The loss? The limelight?

Take a “l” is a loss, take a “w” is a win. sometimes a “dub” is a win too, I think.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

MrQwerty posted:

Adult Swim didn't give C. Martin Croker or Carey Means jack poo poo, I can't imagine they're paying anyone else.

poo poo, Dana Snyder did a cameo about slurp juicing apes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUaaGRLEbm0

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I literally just watched a Dark Side of Comedy episode about Andrew Dice Clay 2 hours ago. Yeah, he was an rear end in a top hat overall.

Link? I’m unfamiliar with this show

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Szyznyk posted:

Got enough Gawker millions to last him two lifetimes, brother.

*sigh*

Ok, the sad truth about most of these “celebrity career fails” is that said celebrity still ends up with more wealth and privilege than any of us will see in out lifetimes because we live in a failing system.

Pointing that out just makes you a killjoy.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Gatto Grigio posted:

*sigh*

Ok, the sad truth about most of these “celebrity career fails” is that said celebrity still ends up with more wealth and privilege than any of us will see in out lifetimes because we live in a failing system.

Pointing that out just makes you a killjoy.

Take heart in knowing the Church of Scientology will suck every dime out of his pockets, leaving him to have to hustle $50 wrestling belt pictures with customers at Hogan’s Hangout soon enough.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Sure sounds like a sincere apology to me, and not at all a "please don't fire me from my job" apology

And let's see just what it was that he said that caused all this controversy in the first place:

Yep, looks like some harmless ol' shitposting to me, and most certainly not the angry rantings of someone who's truly a racist piece of poo poo

I enjoy the capitalization of random nouns. Really sells me on this being a member of a superior class of being as oppose to the illiterate and uneducated mongrels.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Szyznyk posted:

Take heart in knowing the Church of Scientology will suck every dime out of his pockets, leaving him to have to hustle $50 wrestling belt pictures with customers at Hogan’s Hangout soon enough.

he’s a Scientologist now, too? lmao

“Hulkamaniacs, you gotta take your vitamins and say your prayers to L Ron Hubbard!”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

teen witch posted:

Yeah, gently caress him too. I haven’t seen the newer episodes but there are far better people to replace Hinson with. Honestly a rotating voice cast would have been cool.

Did they ever solve that issue with Roiland?

The most annoying thing about the final season is that the first episode back they had Walton Goggins on as a guest star and he would have been an amazing Early.

The newest season of Rick and Morty just aired with the replacement voices and they're pretty good. If you didn't know you probably wouldn't have noticed anything different about those characters. Although the premiere did have Mr Poopybutthole in it and he was voiced by a new actor too which was noticeable.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The most annoying thing about the final season is that the first episode back they had Walton Goggins on as a guest star and he would have been an amazing Early.

The newest season of Rick and Morty just aired with the replacement voices and they're pretty good. If you didn't know you probably wouldn't have noticed anything different about those characters. Although the premiere did have Mr Poopybutthole in it and he was voiced by a new actor too which was noticeable.

gently caress I’d have watched an entire season with Goggins! I’m already dealing with Gemstone withdrawals

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

That's a shame about Mr Poopybutthole, I like that character. His vocal shift will be too distracting for me.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The new Rick/Morty VAs actually sound really solid, it's a shame they couldn't find somebody else to do the other 200 characters Roiland voiced. Also a shame that the writing went to absolute poo poo and they completely wasted Hugh Jackman. It felt almost exactly like an AI-generated script. Hot, hot trash all the way up to the incredibly cringy post-credits tag.

Not even sure why they're carrying on, tbh. There's no shame in saying "hey look the life's blood of this program was actually a huge piece of poo poo so we're just gonna shut it down here, thanks for the memories." Is the fan base still rabid enough to tolerate this hot, wet feces?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Not even sure why they're carrying on, tbh. There's no shame in saying "hey look the life's blood of this program was actually a huge piece of poo poo so we're just gonna shut it down here, thanks for the memories." Is the fan base still rabid enough to tolerate this hot, wet feces?

I'm gonna go with the people making the show still want to make it and have a job, and the network still wants to make money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also according to all the reports Roiland barely had anything to do with the show past season 2. Harmon gave an interview where he said that Roiland became checked out when they had to hire an actual showrunner to be in charge and make sure stuff actually got done.

A post in another thread reminded me of Jay Johnston. He was never a leading guy but got steady work as a comedy character actor and doing voices in cartoons. All that ended when he was seen at the Capitol on January 6th.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

fishing with the fam posted:

I'm gonna go with the people making the show still want to make it and have a job, and the network still wants to make money.

Didn't they sign contracts for some ridiculous amount of episodes?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

How dumb do you have to be to pick a fight with Dolly Parton of all people? The woman's universally beloved. What a maroon.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Also, people watched the big battle with their tvs set too dark

Lol, I loved this response from the showrunners. No, the episode wasn't terribly shot and there is nothing wrong with HBO's streaming service! You just need to drop a few grand on an OLED TV.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Extra Large Marge posted:

Lol, I loved this response from the showrunners. No, the episode wasn't terribly shot and there is nothing wrong with HBO's streaming service! You just need to drop a few grand on an OLED TV.

Strong Nolan audio mix vibes there, but without Nolan's pedigree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Extra Large Marge posted:

ahahaha I bring this up all the time and whats funny is that I did coincidentally purchase a new TV around that time, watched it in total darkness and it STILL looked like dim, confusing garbage

I remember afterwards there was a silly stunt Youtube my partner was watching by some worked history dork into seige warfare and the bit I saw they were having a time like "no no why are your calvary going there" worse than the average history dork breaking down a standard movie siege