Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Faustian Bargain posted:

dairy queen fries. what the gently caress, these are trash.

Straight or curly? I've never really liked the straight ones and even when I worked there in the 1900s I thought they smelled like dog food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I was driving home today and Google maps asked me to turn left. Except it didn't say "turn left in 1000 feet" it said "turn left in 1000 feet at the Papa Johns, home of the fresh baked pizza!"

That's the first time I've ever heard an advertisement in my Google maps directions. I can't say I enjoyed it.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

StormDrain posted:

Straight or curly? I've never really liked the straight ones and even when I worked there in the 1900s I thought they smelled like dog food.
the straight ones from the 90s with the seasoning. i hadn’t had dq in so long and these fries are dog poo poo.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Can confirm that they don't even lightly salt them and they don't seem to be real potatoes. It's like eating textured air.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

BigHead posted:

I was driving home today and Google maps asked me to turn left. Except it didn't say "turn left in 1000 feet" it said "turn left in 1000 feet at the Papa Johns, home of the fresh baked pizza!"

That's the first time I've ever heard an advertisement in my Google maps directions. I can't say I enjoyed it.

Lol, this is some 90s movie dystopia poo poo.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Amazing to think that the previous ~15 years were actually some of the best years on Earth, possibly forever.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Lol, this is some 90s movie dystopia poo poo.

Was going to post that.

Where does it end?

"We here at NewsNetwork grieve along with the relatives of those of have died in this tragic accident, and Burger King grieves too. Home of the Whopper."

"LAY DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP, BUT DON'T FORGET TO STOP ALONG THE WAY FOR CRISPYFRESH™ TREATS!"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Put your hands in the air like you just heard about McDonald's new summer dollar menu selection!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shout "MCDONALDS!" to avoid summary execution by our armed tactical response team

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Buy a lifetime license to sygic for gps next time it goes on sale for like $30, it can work completely offline and doesn't have google bs tied in. It doesn't have a big searchable entry of business names, but just pull up the destination address through some other method and you're golden

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Atopian posted:

Was going to post that.

Where does it end?

"We here at NewsNetwork grieve along with the relatives of those of have died in this tragic accident, and Burger King grieves too. Home of the Whopper."

"LAY DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP, BUT DON'T FORGET TO STOP ALONG THE WAY FOR CRISPYFRESH™ TREATS!"

From The New Yorker:

L.P.D.: Libertarian Police Department
By Tom O’Donnell

I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.

“Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”

“Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I said. “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”

He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’m on it.”

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

It didn’t seem like they did.

“Seriously, guys. Without a strong economic motivator, I’m just going to stand here and not solve this case. Cash is fine, but I prefer being paid in gold bullion or autographed Penn Jillette posters.”

Nothing. These people were stonewalling me. It almost seemed like they didn’t care that a fortune in computer money invented to buy drugs was missing.

I figured I could wait them out. I lit several cigarettes indoors. A pregnant lady coughed, and I told her that secondhand smoke is a myth. Just then, a man in glasses made a break for it.

“Subway™ Eat Fresh and Freeze, Scumbag!®” I yelled.

Too late. He was already out the front door. I went after him.

“Stop right there!” I yelled as I ran. He was faster than me because I always try to avoid stepping on public sidewalks. Our country needs a private-sidewalk voucher system, but, thanks to the incestuous interplay between our corrupt federal government and the public-sidewalk lobby, it will never happen.

I was losing him. “Listen, I’ll pay you to stop!” I yelled. “What would you consider an appropriate price point for stopping? I’ll offer you a thirteenth of an ounce of gold and a gently worn ‘Bob Barr ‘08’ extra-large long-sleeved men’s T-shirt!”

He turned. In his hand was a revolver that the Constitution said he had every right to own. He fired at me and missed. I pulled my own gun, put a quarter in it, and fired back. The bullet lodged in a U.S.P.S. mailbox less than a foot from his head. I shot the mailbox again, on purpose.

“All right, all right!” the man yelled, throwing down his weapon. “I give up, cop! I confess: I took the bitcoins.”

“Why’d you do it?” I asked, as I slapped a pair of Oikos™ Greek Yogurt Presents Handcuffs® on the guy.

“Because I was afraid.”

“Afraid?”

“Afraid of an economic future free from the pernicious meddling of central bankers,” he said. “I’m a central banker.”

I wanted to coldcock the guy. Years ago, a central banker killed my partner. Instead, I shook my head.

“Let this be a message to all your central-banker friends out on the street,” I said. “No matter how many bitcoins you steal, you’ll never take away the dream of an open society based on the principles of personal and economic freedom.”

He nodded, because he knew I was right. Then he swiped his credit card to pay me for arresting him.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Yup. They get hosed on merch now too because the venues take a cut.

I just tell the band I want to buy merch but that I will pay cash in the car park after the show and so far its worked out.

as a musician I have told venues if they want a cut of the merch then i want a cut of the $12 beers.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I am buying plane tickets and so help me god, first up against the wall

Not even the costs! Though what the gently caress!

In what world is a computer recommending a 40m layover as anything remotely possible outside of a regional puddle jumper type flight.

In short:
https://youtu.be/PNqS8ZPvthQ

teen witch fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 18, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

BigHead posted:

I would throw my phone out the car window.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I seem to remember TomTom offering character voices for GPS and one was Homer Simpson who would point out donut shops.

Did I dream that? I never had a TomTom or the mid 2000's equivalent

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

teen witch posted:

I am buying plane tickets and so help me god, first up against the wall

Not even the costs! Though what the gently caress!

In what world is a computer recommending a 40m layover as anything remotely possible outside of a regional puddle jumper type flight.

In short:
https://youtu.be/PNqS8ZPvthQ

Airlines publish minimum connection times at each airport they have connections in, they assume on-time arrival, worst-case arrival gate and departure gate without an airline change, and an able-bodied adult that can walk briskly but doesn't have to run. They're generally pretty accurate since the airline doesn't want to fly your flight with your seat empty--I've been within 10 minutes of MCT at least 50 times and never missed a connection when I arrived on time. Most big hubs have a 35 or 40 minute MCT.

Anyway, if it's the best itinerary for you, you should get it unless you have kids or mobility issues. It doesn't take nearly as long to empty a plane out as it feels like, and the published arrival/departure times are when the boarding door opens/closes, not when the plane lands or takes off. The only airports I can think of that I wouldn't do a 40 minute connection are Dulles and Heathrow.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 18, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GolfHole posted:

Amazing to think that the previous ~15 years were actually some of the best years on Earth, possibly forever.

What, 2005- 2020?

My friend, let me tell you about the glorious 90's......

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

I know what you mean but I'm still like imagining a silent film of you making terrible fries while The Entertainer plays over it

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

redshirt posted:

What, 2005- 2020?

Didn't the Matrix exist as it was because the machine considered 1999 to be the peak of human civ?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Has the built in calendar in Mac OS always been remarkably terrible? Or is that a new development?

For such a simple thing, it's astoundingly bad. For example, an appointment I have for Friday pops up this morning; my snooze options are 5 minutes, 15, 30, or an hour before the event, or at the actual time of the event. No other options.

It doesn't have a built in clock for setting an appointment time, alerts are totally manually. It's crap.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beastie posted:

Didn't the Matrix exist as it was because the machine considered 1999 to be the peak of human civ?

It might be true too. That year was filled with so much hope and optimism (and some dread, with Y2K and such).

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

redshirt posted:

It might be true too. That year was filled with so much hope and optimism (and some dread, with Y2K and such).

I think its true. Phones have gotten better I guess, but like, literally everything else is worse.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I think I'd prefer 2019 to 1999 if I was anything other than a straight male

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

StormDrain posted:

When I worked there in the 1900s

Gonna start saying this poo poo all the time, thanks.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cerekk posted:

I think I'd prefer 2019 to 1999 if I was anything other than a straight male

That's fair. I guess that was my privilege talking.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

BigHead posted:

I recently picked up a TomTom from 2012 for $5 at a flea market, and it turned out to have lifetime map updates, so it's just as up to date if not even more as Google Maps, excluding traffic conditions.

I was going to sell it, but now I think I'll keep it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

What, 2005- 2020?

I mean more for the access to information, relative impermissibility of pirated and user-created content (and thus community, society, memes), world stability and medicine, globalization of markets, access to food and materials, wealth.

As a whole people in 2005-2020 lived better than 99.9% of all other people who have ever lived, in all of human existence.

This standard is already declining, and I'm not sure it will ever return in a post-information-age world where you as a human being and everything you see, create, and consume are back to being chattel to corporations and governments.

You were at the top of the human experience. That was it, folks. It doesn't get any better. It will get worse.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Gonna start saying this poo poo all the time, thanks.

This and referring to things around 1998-2002 as "The Turn of the Century" are two of my favorite bits. The Turn OTC one is getting less funny the further from it though.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I can't add a new home address on PayPal using Firefox -- i get a "Something went wrong! Try again later" error from PayPal. It works in Edge.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mawarannahr posted:

I can't add a new home address on PayPal using Firefox -- i get a "Something went wrong! Try again later" error from PayPal. It works in Edge.

Sounds like a “developers only tested in Chrome” error to me.

I swear, as an industry, we learned nothing from IE6.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beastie posted:

Because after that point they considered human civilization to have been run by machines.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GolfHole posted:

If you are a white guy from North America or Europe, but the rest of the world has been enshittifying for 500 years.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Buy a lifetime license to sygic for gps next time it goes on sale for like $30, it can work completely offline and doesn't have google bs tied in. It doesn't have a big searchable entry of business names, but just pull up the destination address through some other method and you're golden

a quick search engine search shows they dont have lifelime anymore.

so its an example of getting worse unless im mistaken.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Lol, gently caress this gay earth. Unrelated, but if you have or plan to get a tablet go grab a lifetime license for concepts before that goes away too - it's a great multi-layer infinite canvas sketchbook basically

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

W424 posted:

Real loving cool that one of the last ways to make any money from music (excluding touring) got hosed by some business bullshit.

As must be done. All value must flow to the top

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Not going to lie I’d love to have a Simpsons™ brand maps program that had Homer pointing out doughnut places, Barney liqour stores, and Lisa libraries

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Not going to lie I’d love to have a Simpsons™ brand maps program that had Homer pointing out doughnut places, Barney liqour stores, and Lisa libraries

Otto: "Turn right in eight hundred feet to hit up a weed shop that has curbside delivery if you order online"

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I'm still reviewing evidence but I feel like baseball caps have undergone shrinkflation because when I try on new ones they don't fit right any more.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Automated car washes, usually the kind at gas stations and small do-it-yourself washes with one or two automated bays.

Why the gently caress are they doing away with the kind that agitates and scrubs the car with soapy brushes and the big soap mop that goes over the car and switching to a brushless system with multiple pressure washes that circle the car and don’t clean poo poo? Like, I can understand if your car is only slightly dirty or you rewash a recently washed car after a light rain, it might get clean with just pressure washing it. But if your car is dirty dirty, it’s gonna stay that way.

I can see the machinery for the old system being costly and time-consuming to repair, whereas you might have to replace a jet or two on the pressure wash system if it goes bad; maybe the motor that makes it circle your car. Still, makes me reconsider hand-washing my vehicles. I just used the car washes for convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Automated car washes, usually the kind at gas stations and small do-it-yourself washes with one or two automated bays.

Why the gently caress are they doing away with the kind that agitates and scrubs the car with soapy brushes and the big soap mop that goes over the car and switching to a brushless system with multiple pressure washes that circle the car and don’t clean poo poo? Like, I can understand if your car is only slightly dirty or you rewash a recently washed car after a light rain, it might get clean with just pressure washing it. But if your car is dirty dirty, it’s gonna stay that way.

I can see the machinery for the old system being costly and time-consuming to repair, whereas you might have to replace a jet or two on the pressure wash system if it goes bad; maybe the motor that makes it circle your car. Still, makes me reconsider hand-washing my vehicles. I just used the car washes for convenience.

Yeah, if I see that a car wash is touchless, I don't use it. In place of this I'm seeing more and more dedicated fancy car wash places pop up that pull your car through a tunnel with lots of brushes and stuff that usually do a very good job, though they can be expensive. Usually free vacuums too.