Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I ended up installing iOS 17.1 RC today and very happy that the custom ring tones on all the alerts are back.

Haven't messed around with any of the other new stuff yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’ve been on 17.1 since the first beta came out and I have no idea what’s new with it honestly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The actual worst is when Siri's response is "Mhm!" and does nothing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

The actual worst is when Siri's response is "Mhm!" and does nothing

Wow, just like me

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My 15 Pro case finally arrived — the Caudabe Sheath — and it has the texture of sandpaper. I kinda miss the feeling of a naked phone already. At least I won’t have to stress about dropping it, I guess.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I'm somewhere and get in a car and open Maps on CarPlay it'll suggest home as a destination. Cool, and good. But if I then ask Siri to plan a route home I get "I don't know where you live" as a reply, it's almost impressively bad

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vegetable posted:

My 15 Pro case finally arrived — the Caudabe Sheath — and it has the texture of sandpaper. I kinda miss the feeling of a naked phone already. At least I won’t have to stress about dropping it, I guess.

Should have gone Bullstrap.

Also the Synthesis is the one that is smooth.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

NFX posted:

If I'm somewhere and get in a car and open Maps on CarPlay it'll suggest home as a destination. Cool, and good. But if I then ask Siri to plan a route home I get "I don't know where you live" as a reply, it's almost impressively bad

Do you have an entry in your home address in your contact card?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

After creating your home addresss entry in your personal card in the contacts app, in Settings.app->Siri you have to designate that card as "you". Then Siri will know where you live.

It's stupid how undiscoverable that is but that's kind of Apples gimmick.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

my actual problem is i'll talk into my watch because my phone is in my back pocket and it'll try to answer in my back pocket.

also i have always get my phone on silent/vibrate mode and siri use to respond back when i asked it to set a timer. now it seems like when i ask it to do so it just starts the timer without saying anything. is there anyway to change this so when it's siri responding it'll talk (but still keep my phone on vibrate/silent mode)?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I just got an Otterbox case but I'm REALLY loving the look of the Ocean Bullstrap. Does that have a button for the Action Button or is it a cutout?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I’ve been on 17.1 since the first beta came out and I have no idea what’s new with it honestly.

The only real bulletpoint things are apparently keyboard smoothness and a fix for an image retention issue.

The powering off at night remains an issue.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Strong Sauce posted:

my actual problem is i'll talk into my watch because my phone is in my back pocket and it'll try to answer in my back pocket.

also i have always get my phone on silent/vibrate mode and siri use to respond back when i asked it to set a timer. now it seems like when i ask it to do so it just starts the timer without saying anything. is there anyway to change this so when it's siri responding it'll talk (but still keep my phone on vibrate/silent mode)?

This maybe?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

thanks this was it! apparently this was a change from last year? felt like it only started recently.

automatic setting seems weird though. sometimes i can get siri to say her response out loud while i'm in silent mode. and sometimes it won't. guess i'll have to play with it some more.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ThermoPhysical posted:

I just got an Otterbox case but I'm REALLY loving the look of the Ocean Bullstrap. Does that have a button for the Action Button or is it a cutout?

Mine has a button.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Should have gone Bullstrap.

Also the Synthesis is the one that is smooth.
I had a Sheath for my 13 Pro and it was smoother. Well, it is smoother. Probably due to two years of use.

Bullstrap looks nice but I seriously doubt that full grain leather on a phone case is worth it. It has to be so thin that the benefits of full grain will be limited.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve been experimenting with the per-Focus mode home screen thing and I’m not sure if what I want is possible. I’d like to have the Reminders widget show me a different smart list depending on the Focus mode, so I was trying to set up a different home screen for each one.

Problem 1: It doesn’t seem possible to duplicate a Home Screen page and I don’t really feel like manually recreating mine for every Focus mode.
Problem 2: When you disable a Focus mode it doesn’t go back to the “normal” home screen, it just keeps using the most recent one. So if I set up a very minimal “Work” home screen, when I leave work it won’t switch back (it also doesn’t seem possible to e.g. set the Personal focus to come on at all times I’m not at work)

Is anybody else using this feature? Is there an easier way to just get a context-dependent Reminders widget on the home screen? I’m pretty sure the answer is it’s just another half-baked feature but all the Focus stuff seems a little unintuitive to me so I might be missing something.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Grumbles posted:

I think if you're in earshot of the home pods it'll always default to them. The way to change the behaviour is to use the button on your phone - sorry. Or maybe you can ask more quietly so only your phone hears it?

But also Siri is far and away the jankiest part of an otherwise slick ecosystem. There are tons of times where I'll ask Siri on my phone something, and I'll get a response from both my phone, and my laptop, and maybe my watch.

Here's the weird thing: it's almost ALWAYS my living room HomePod that responds and there is no way it's hearing me in the bathroom - I just don't speak that loudly to my phone. Also my phone will display the Siri colored blob when I ask it then pass it on to my HomePod. Ugh.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Turmoil posted:

I ended up installing iOS 17.1 RC today and very happy that the custom ring tones on all the alerts are back.

Haven't messed around with any of the other new stuff yet.

Maybe it and the corresponding watch update will fix the stupid watch problem I’ve been having, ugh.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have an entry in your home address in your contact card?

I don't, but that doesn't prevent Maps from figuring out where I live and automatically suggest it under the label "Home" :tinfoil:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My wife is thinking of switching to iphone from android and wants me to switch with her if she does. I have an old Chinese off brand phone I'm happy with that is only used for the kindle app, looking up stuff in the browser, discord, and the Awful app. I also use a swype style keyboard. Are all of those things basically the same on an iphone? My phone use is probably 50% reading on kindle so I suppose the absurdly higher resolution of the iphone might be nice and seemingly the app is the same. The last time I looked at iphones was probably a decade ago when swype-ish keyboards couldn't be used on them which was a dealbreaker for me (I'm really used to it), but it looks like that is no longer a problem.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there any convenient way to have a shared Notes file or Reminders list (or both!) with non-iPhone users? I'm on an iPhone and my partner's on Android and sometimes it would be handy to just share out a checklist I've made that she can also edit without having to jump out to Microsoft ToDo or whatever.

FuzzySlippers posted:

My wife is thinking of switching to iphone from android and wants me to switch with her if she does. I have an old Chinese off brand phone I'm happy with that is only used for the kindle app, looking up stuff in the browser, discord, and the Awful app. I also use a swype style keyboard. Are all of those things basically the same on an iphone? My phone use is probably 50% reading on kindle so I suppose the absurdly higher resolution of the iphone might be nice and seemingly the app is the same. The last time I looked at iphones was probably a decade ago when swype-ish keyboards couldn't be used on them which was a dealbreaker for me (I'm really used to it), but it looks like that is no longer a problem.
The default keyboard has swipe-typing built into it now. You can also still install custom keyboards I think but I haven't looked into that for years.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So I’m dual simming in Europe right now, and it’s working great, except my battery seems to drain rapidly due to having two radios on, and if someone calls me it burns one of my travel pass days from Verizon. Is there a way to temporarily suspend my original sim WITHOUT having it disappear from iMessage?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

NFX posted:

I don't, but that doesn't prevent Maps from figuring out where I live and automatically suggest it under the label "Home" :tinfoil:

Right. That's a Maps thing. If you're asking Siri for directions home, then Siri looks at the contact card stuff as someone above mentioned.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My phone turned off the other night while doing its “optimized charging” thing. Disabled it last night and it didn’t. Hoping that’s a temporary fix until apple looks at the issue.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Dogen posted:

Maybe it and the corresponding watch update will fix the stupid watch problem I’ve been having, ugh.

It did! Huzzah. I was hopeful when I saw the weather mentioned in the watch patch notes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Talorat posted:

So I’m dual simming in Europe right now, and it’s working great, except my battery seems to drain rapidly due to having two radios on, and if someone calls me it burns one of my travel pass days from Verizon. Is there a way to temporarily suspend my original sim WITHOUT having it disappear from iMessage?

Shutting down your sim will kill imessage, does your provider allows setting up all calls to go into voicemail? That way you can keep the sim on while not receiving calls.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Talorat posted:

This is extremely YMMV, but I'm pretty sure that as long as you don't answer any incoming calls, then it won't count as a travel pass day.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

This is extremely YMMV, but I'm pretty sure that as long as you don't answer any incoming calls, then it won't count as a travel pass day.

If so, you might want to also turn off the feature where Apple answers the call instead of your voicemail (transcription).

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Noted! Thanks!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
With Travel Pass, as long as you don't answer (or place) any phone calls (may want to take astral's advice and turn off voicemail transcription) or send any SMS/MMS text messages, you should be fine. You should be able to still receive SMS messages without issue.

The canary in the coalmine is the text from Verizon. When you landed wherever, you should have gotten a "Welcome to [country]! You have Travel Pass, so use your voice and data for only $10 per day!" kinda message from Verizon. As long as you don't get any further Travel Pass related texts from Verizon, then you're good - you haven't done anything to accidentally trigger it. If you get a text from Verizon that says "Your Travel Pass day has started! You have 24 hours left in your Travel Pass" or something like that, then you did something wrong and are out 10 bucks (or 1 banked Travel Pass day if you have them.) Then you gotta figure out what you did to trigger it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Question. Can you turn off the touch/tap phones to share contact information? If I shove my son's phone in the same pocket as my work phone, they start chiming and desperately trying to pass contact info. Alternatively, if I share the contact back and forth does it shut up and stop, or is it blind to the contact existing? Both on current os level, it's an se from 2020 and another from 2022.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes. It’s in the Airdrop settings, or just searching for Namedrop should find it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Talorat posted:

Can you login to some sort of Verizon portal and turn off roaming?

Heck, even if you pull out the SIM, if you don't deregister your phone number from iMessage you have 28 days before it will disappear.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Alarbus posted:

Question. Can you turn off the touch/tap phones to share contact information? If I shove my son's phone in the same pocket as my work phone, they start chiming and desperately trying to pass contact info. Alternatively, if I share the contact back and forth does it shut up and stop, or is it blind to the contact existing? Both on current os level, it's an se from 2020 and another from 2022.

This keeps happening with my work and personal phone, so yeah I think I’m turning it off one myself.

Aphrodite posted:

Yes. It’s in the Airdrop settings, or just searching for Namedrop should find it.

It’s under “bringing devices together” for whatever reason. It was annoying to find at first.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It happened to me a bunch when I was holding both my old and new phone to get everything over, and then the one time I wanted to actually use it it didn't work at all.

I assume my friend handed updated yet though.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Turned it off on both phones, thanks all!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My wife shared some AirTags with me, and now her Find My app crashes every time she opens it. She deleted the app and redownloaded it, but funny thing is whenever she deletes the app from her phone the shared air tags disappear on mine and she has to reshare them. Resharing them starts crashing her app again, though.

Anyone else running into this? iPhone 14 Pro Max and 15 Pro Max running 17.0.3

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is the "ear detection" in AirPods Pro known to "go bad"?

Wifey seemingly can't take an AirPod out of an ear and have her media pause anymore.
Or if it does pause, it doesn't resume when she puts the AirPod back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That kind of stuff has always been pretty stupid on mine. I’ll end a phone call, take mine out and a random track will start playing on my phone in the other room.