Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Von Pluring posted:

Sorry, that's what I meant. The post I replied to said anti-islam, not anti-muslim.

Sorry for going all out aggro then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Potrzebie posted:

Sorry for going all out aggro then.

No, that’s on me. I was being all edgy and stuff.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, they're gonna be working for them anyway, so might as well have them share the cost.

well it's certainly a good way of making the arrangement explicit, but you'd think that a tremendously wealthy petrostate could at least pay its own spooks

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

V. Illych L. posted:

well it's certainly a good way of making the arrangement explicit, but you'd think that a tremendously wealthy petrostate could at least pay its own spooks

No no, you see. Ally, and Soviet Russia bad. Also the PM might be invited to the white house uuhh

On paper I assume the US have paid for much of the installations using US tech that Norway doesn't produce ourselves - but I'm pretty sure there are some close personal ties between PST leadership and someone high up in the CIA

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Von Pluring posted:

No, that’s on me. I was being all edgy and stuff.

gently caress off

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

thotsky posted:

gently caress off

Togger
Jan 16, 2019

thotsky posted:

gently caress off

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

thotsky posted:

gently caress off

This, but for everyone

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Anders posted:

No no, you see. Ally, and Soviet Russia bad. Also the PM might be invited to the white house uuhh

On paper I assume the US have paid for much of the installations using US tech that Norway doesn't produce ourselves - but I'm pretty sure there are some close personal ties between PST leadership and someone high up in the CIA

to be clear wormdal's mostly writing about E-tjenesten, not PST - though i assume that PST similarly has connections to US intelligence

a major moment of disillusionment for me was when i learned that haakon lie had been informing for the OSS/CIA basically throughout the post-war period. imo some highly shady deals were made circa 1944-45 between the labour party and US and i remain convinced (though this is not a belief well-supported by specific evidence) that jens chr hauge was also some kind of foreign asset when he joined the Party after the war

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

V. Illych L. posted:

doesnt seem like a widely known thing though, if the knowledge of it is limited to "weirdo cranks" and people who have no interest in making it widely known then it doesnt matter how explicit it is

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Megamissen posted:

doesnt seem like a widely known thing though, if the knowledge of it is limited to "weirdo cranks" and people who have no interest in making it widely known then it doesnt matter how explicit it is

bård wormdal has over thirty years of work for the public broadcaster under his belt and is published on aschehoug so idk how much of a crank he can reasonably be said to be

he's got a bit of a hobby horse or he probably wouldn't have written a book about it, but i get the impression that this follows from his experience with the topic over a long period of time rather than the contrary

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

do you guys have real lifetime sentences? in norway we had to find a weird technicality to make sure anders behring breivik never gets out

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It's undetermined. When you've served 10 years you can apply to have a fixed sentence set but it'll never be less than 18 years in total.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Denmark has forvaring which is reserved for criminally insane people and I forget the initial sentence limit but the idea is it can be (and often is) extended indefinitely.

A "livstid" sentence for normal people is like 20 years.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jeebus bob posted:

Denmark has forvaring which is reserved for criminally insane people and I forget the initial sentence limit but the idea is it can be (and often is) extended indefinitely.

A "livstid" sentence for normal people is like 20 years.

yeah this is similar to how we do it in norway, maximum normal criminal sentence is 21 years but they somehow finagled breivik into a version of forvaring which doen't presuppose him being criminally insane. i don't understand this system very well, so i may be missing something, but my impression at the time was that we were finding a bit of a loophole to ensure that this specific guy was never ever coming back out

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah this is similar to how we do it in norway, maximum normal criminal sentence is 21 years but they somehow finagled breivik into a version of forvaring which doen't presuppose him being criminally insane. i don't understand this system very well, so i may be missing something, but my impression at the time was that we were finding a bit of a loophole to ensure that this specific guy was never ever coming back out

Uh. M. Just... Oh for gently caress's sake.

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah this is similar to how we do it in norway

Not really, depending on how broad a definition of similar you are applying.

V. Illych L. posted:

maximum normal criminal sentence is 21 years

No it isn't, check out chap. 16. It's 30 years. Depending ln whether you consider genocide etc. "normal" crimes but they do count in the range of ordinary criminal prison sentences.

V. Illych L. posted:

but they somehow finagled breivik into a version of forvaring which doen't presuppose him being criminally insane

No, they didn't. It's not a requirement of forvaring that the defendant be any type of insane, check out chap. 7 more specifically § 40.

And Breivik was not found to have been insane during his crimes.

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't understand this system very well, so i may be missing something, but my impression at the time was that we were finding a bit of a loophole to ensure that this specific guy was never ever coming back out

No you don't (no offense), you are missing something, and Breivik was just plain sentenced to forvaring. There are no loopholes to criminal convictions.

But seriously, would you like to be the judge who lets Breivik out? I would never ever make that call personally, guy's a loving whacko and the biggest recidivist risk I have ever seen.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ah, the fish signal has been lighted. thanks for clarifying

e-'. to be clear, though, i don't consider crimes against humanity to be "normal" crimes. i think they're pretty extraordinary

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

V. Illych L. posted:

My obsessive compulsion is quite predictable, isn't it. Tragic.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nah it's legitimately good that you clear up this stuff, all i know about it is from what i read in the news and so it makes sense that i have internalised some misunderstandings

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The whole point of the internet is being able to post your misinformed opinions so that someone else corrects you.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

e-'. to be clear, though, i don't consider crimes against humanity to be "normal" crimes. i think they're pretty extraordinary

They do happen a lot though... Not that I'm disagreeing with the sentiment.

I think there are some similarities between Breivik and Varg Vikernes, who is a free man today. Especially in how little their outlook have changed.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

And when that makes zero difference in inter-criminal violence (because it would do Jack poo poo), what then Jimmie? Hmmm?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Haven't you been listening? Reichsführer Åkesson will do his utmost to purge Sweden of race traitors, that'll fix everything right quick!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Is Sweden trying to make Denmark look less poo poo, because I'm not buying it yet.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

BigglesSWE posted:

And when that makes zero difference in inter-criminal violence (because it would do Jack poo poo), what then Jimmie? Hmmm?
"Tuffare tag" has never been about decreasing crime. It's about sating (some? most?) people's desire to see less-thans punished. People are sick.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Rust Martialis posted:

Is Sweden trying to make Denmark look less poo poo, because I'm not buying it yet.

I wonder if they're familiar with Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the tortoise

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

BonHair posted:

They do happen a lot though... Not that I'm disagreeing with the sentiment.

I think there are some similarities between Breivik and Varg Vikernes, who is a free man today. Especially in how little their outlook have changed.

But even more differences. Varg killed one man. And even though he hasn't changed his outlook (whatever that means) he hasn't committed any crimes since being released from prison so you can argue that he was rehabilitated by serving in prison.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mordekai posted:

But even more differences. Varg killed one man. And even though he hasn't changed his outlook (whatever that means) he hasn't committed any crimes since being released from prison so you can argue that he was rehabilitated by serving in prison.

wasn't there a prison sentence in France for inciting terrorism or something around ten years ago?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

still, just to be clear, nowhere near being on the same level as breivik, so i'm not disagreeing on that point

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

wasn't there a prison sentence in France for inciting terrorism or something around ten years ago?

Charges were dropped

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mordekai posted:

Yeah, shitposting on youtube and making dumb racist RPGs is not yet illegal in and of itself, so.

In general, I think a lot of young dumb guys who might commit violent crimes become less dangerous (if not less dumb) as they age. Not everyone, of course.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sweden, denmark, finland, iceland what the hell guys

https://twitter.com/UN_News_Centre/status/1717992371906839005/photo/2

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Finland has historically not voted on these resolutions, as in part it was Norway who put us in a bad place.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I'm rather angry atm

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Did you honestly expect any better from the swedish goverment run by a pygme that allied himself with fascists?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
lol that Turkey voted yes and Sweden did not

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

McCloud posted:

Did you honestly expect any better from the swedish goverment run by a pygme that allied himself with fascists?

We all know who calls all the shots. Just lol at the times our ministers have had to humiliate themselves publicly because something they did that made daddy Åkesson mad.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Our Swedish foreign minister openly claimed that Israel's bombing of civilians in Gaza is "proportional" and part of Israel's right to defend itself. He's so dense and bad at doing the dog whistling that the critizism was severe enough, even from part of the Right, that he had to backpedal. But yeah, I'm very very not surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

McCloud posted:

it is genuinely difficult to overstate the extent to which the norwegian security state is involved with the americans and our foreign service managed to scrounge up the backbone to vote in favour. granted this may be a sop because the labour movement is furious with the government over energy policy, but still

Rappaport posted:

Finland has historically not voted on these resolutions, as in part it was Norway who put us in a bad place.

you're in NATO