Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This has made me go scour dmv.ny.gov looking at what all the options actually are for NY and I just found this:

Makes me think of that one stoner who wears D.A.R.E. shirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Sab669 posted:

Are those new? Never saw one of those when I lived in Cranston for a few years

Brand new. Most 'charity' designs take months if not years to reach the 800 order minimum-to-production mark in RI, and this plate had something like 5000 orders in the first weekend of release. Not only does it look good, but sharks own, and we must protect them! Lets keep plate chat going. V interesting haha

edit:

Deeters posted:

Hell yeah, New England ocean life bud. I have this:

this owns cause I have a cousin in ME who didn't have his license for years and got picked up by his lobster boat captain for work, but definitely was not afraid of driving unlicensed either :D Maine tings

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 14, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Raluek posted:

it sounds like you're saying 35% allowed, where he is saying 30% blocked (70% allowed)

The other thing is that pretty much all factory windows have at least a little bit of tint to them. In Iowa when I lived there the limit was 70% allowed but if you put 70% tint on your car it was illegal if you got tested because the windows were already like 91% so combined you were over the limit.

~70% tint barely looks tinted.

~30% tint is decent but not real dark.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sab669 posted:

This has made me go scour dmv.ny.gov looking at what all the options actually are for NY and I just found this:

Makes me think of that one stoner who wears D.A.R.E. shirts
I really like this one, I saw one on the road the other day and thought the pink/blue hue was very pleasing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TenaciousTomato posted:

RE: license plate chat, got this on the way:

Deeters posted:

Hell yeah, New England ocean life bud. I have this:

No oceans here, so I'm rocking this dude instead

They just added this guy recently though, so I'm def going to have to switch it up on my next plates

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Darn it look what I made me do.

why does this make me laugh

it is not worth what i paid

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

StormDrain posted:

This is actually why I comply, I spend my driving experience avoiding roadside chats.

I was initially worried about that and then I saw what else is on the roads around me and realized that even my janky piles are very low on the list. There are people in my town who haven't paid their registration tab fees or put new tabs on since 2021, people with an entire corner of their car missing and no lights, people with temp plates that expired 6 months ago. people with fake temp plates. people with no plates whatsoever. I have no doubt that at least 10% of this town is driving uninsured vehicles, and I carry un/underinsured motorist coverage because of that. One of my neighbors is 45 and been driving since he was 13, he literally just got his license a month ago.

zero of them seemingly have any issue getting pulled over.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
About 40% of the cars in LA don't have front license plates, because they look dumb on the majority of cars in the $350k and up range, as well as looking bad on a lot of JDM/whatever classics from the 70's and 80's.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Enos Cabell posted:

No oceans here, so I'm rocking this dude instead

They just added this guy recently though, so I'm def going to have to switch it up on my next plates

These are amazing. About no front plate, I took that route on my S4 cause the Audi honeycomb style grille looks horrendous with a centered front plate IMO. I could remove the tow hook cover and mount it there, but, meh. I have driven by many details, speed traps, etc. and they never seem to bat an eye. Knock on wood

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

TenaciousTomato posted:

edit:

this owns cause I have a cousin in ME who didn't have his license for years and got picked up by his lobster boat captain for work, but definitely was not afraid of driving unlicensed either :D Maine tings

Mainer who lost his license (probably due to third DUI) and now works as a sternman on a lobster boat; checks out.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

One of the few perks of living here is this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Single Issue voter but for license plates.

It’s proposed to remove the requirement for front plates every year in the Texas legislature, but never makes it to the voters. Assholes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

wallaka posted:

One of the few perks of living here is this.

Barber is like the only good plate there.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 14, 2023

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I once saw a Smart fourtwo with the vanity plate, NOTLAME. Buddy, you were lying to yourself.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

cursedshitbox posted:

Barber is like the only good plate there.

Lmao this plate is excellent. My old man has been through more old Rangeys than any person of sound mind ever would. There's a loving brand new SVR in his garage and he insists on rescuing every £5k shitbox that disgraces the classifieds.

In a certain sense he is doing God's work, in another than God is a vengeful, Old Testament fucker.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Oregon is a front-license state, and I have always had the front plate on my cars just to avoid any attention from cops. I started driving in the 1980s and there used to be a lot of traffic patrols back then, so I trained myself to avoid anything that might catch a cop's eye. I saw people pulled over for not having their seatbelts on, not having their headlights on, missing plates, excessive tint, tires extending past their fenders, having a light out somewhere, not indicating a turn. So I made sure that I wasn't doing any of those things.

The last few years there has been basically no traffic enforcement around here, but the cops are actually starting to do it again (in fits and starts) so I'm happy that those early habits are still in place for me.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I am in tx and although it's a front plate state it's basically lawless, you see cars everywhere that are 6 months plus out of inspection, coal rolling trucks everywhere despite emissions, cars mangled from collisions with no lights, people driving at night without lights, people running reds because they're impatient, saw a paper temp plate dated "JUNY 2023" the other day. There are cars everywhere with no front and clearly it doesn't rank.

Honestly I'm for fronts and actual enforcement, too bad if your car looks so cool, because people do so much reckless poo poo and hit and runs and whatnot it may actually help identify them. But I guess someone would have to actually give a poo poo first.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I asked my wife if she wanted me to out her front plate in when it arrives since we received the car without the front plate holder installed. She said "isn't it required? Is that something I could get pulled over for?" so clearly we are compatible lol.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

About 40% of the cars in LA don't have front license plates, because they look dumb on the majority of cars in the $350k and up range, as well as looking bad on a lot of JDM/whatever classics from the 70's and 80's.

My 83 Supra has no front plate, but that's only because I cut the bracket off before it went in for paint. Agree it looks 3000% stupid hanging off the bumper like it's supposed to.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Which is extra strange for the JDMs as actual JDM (as in, sold in Japan for the Japanese market) usually has a front plate baked into the design because Japan itself requires a front plate. Which *then* presents the opposite problem when you're in a no-front-plate state, now you have an empty stage where a plate should be:

At least with the Hiluxes and Land Cruisers it's either a very minor couple of mounts or a removable bracket:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

goddamn you're just making me want an Autozam

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

just had the first MOT/service, absolutely loving every loving moment, not one goddamn problem

might even wash it at some point

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Everyone in my city drives like a proper maniac, so i’m pro front plate so there’s a higher chance of catching a hit n runner

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Infinotize posted:

I am in tx and although it's a front plate state it's basically lawless, you see cars everywhere that are 6 months plus out of inspection, coal rolling trucks everywhere despite emissions, cars mangled from collisions with no lights, people driving at night without lights, people running reds because they're impatient, saw a paper temp plate dated "JUNY 2023" the other day. There are cars everywhere with no front and clearly it doesn't rank.

Honestly I'm for fronts and actual enforcement, too bad if your car looks so cool, because people do so much reckless poo poo and hit and runs and whatnot it may actually help identify them. But I guess someone would have to actually give a poo poo first.

Also in Texas, can confirm.
The front plate for my AE86 is I. The windshield. They fairly recently changed the law to clarify that it needs to be at the foremost part of the vehicle, but no one cares. Did same on my ‘90 RX-7; until an officer pulled me over for it and gave me a warning right after they changed the law.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Everyone in my city drives like a proper maniac, so i’m pro front plate so there’s a higher chance of catching a hit n runner

I support this position, honestly.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Bought the Leon new summer tyres and changed winter tires in a tire shop. The shop noticed that two of the tires had been installed so that they were rotating in the wrong direction (I had four tires for the right side of the car). So either
a) The new car dealer was incompetent and the PO has driven four winters with half of the winter tires running wrong way and had not noticed the rotation guide on the outside of the tire when changing the tyres seasonally
b) The used car dealer was incompetent, the car arrived to their inventory with bald winter tires and they just threw some used tire set they had laying on the floor

I only used the winter tyres the car came with for a few days when I got it and did not notice anything special in the car handling. The tire shop inspected the winter tires and concluded that the tires had not seen much wear and were structurally ok so I think I'll keep them for a winter or two.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

Yeah I’m totally in favor of everyone else having a front plate

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
If front plates weren’t mandatory here I wouldn’t have seen this last night:

I did not see the owner tho so cannot confirm.

Really tho I don’t understand why you wouldn’t have plates front and back if you have plates at all.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^The owner:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

i don't run front plates on most of my vehicles and in the last 15 years i've had a cop give me poo poo about it one time.
i guess they have bigger fish to fry than a missing front license plate.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Around here I see vehicles daily with NO plates so they should probably start with those as there's way too many to just be recently purchased cars that haven't gotten their plates yet.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

Around here I see vehicles daily with NO plates so they should probably start with those as there's way too many to just be recently purchased cars that haven't gotten their plates yet.

I really don't see why it matters. it's mostly just a reason a cop can pull you over if they're looking for something. Or an additional thing to give a ticket for if you're already being an rear end in a top hat. Or in my case "look i won't give you a ticket for the 15 over but i'm supposed to write more tickets so here's a fine for the plate have a nice day."
so not having the plate was good in that instance lol

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

chrisgt posted:

i don't run front plates on most of my vehicles and in the last 15 years i've had a cop give me poo poo about it one time.
i guess they have bigger fish to fry than a missing front license plate.

Cops typically don't care about the front plates. Its parking enforcement that you have to worry about.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kill me now posted:

Cops typically don't care about the front plates. Its parking enforcement that you have to worry about.

Where can parking enforcement give you tickets for equipment violations when you're not driving?? This seems insane

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Some cities in LA do it. Venice and Hawthorne for sure. It's free money for the city for doing nothing.

To beat THIS system, simply put a stolen license plate from another state that you buy from a shop on the Venice Boardwalk or Hollywood Boulevard on the back of your car when you park.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

chrisgt posted:

Where can parking enforcement give you tickets for equipment violations when you're not driving?? This seems insane

At least in NY parking enforcement can give tickets for expired inspection stickers, registrations, and missing or covered license plates in addition to actual parking violations.

If your car is parked on the street or in a public lot its fair game for them to ticket. They can't ticket if it is on your property.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Some cities in LA do it. Venice and Hawthorne for sure. It's free money for the city for doing nothing.

To beat THIS system, simply put a stolen license plate from another state that you buy from a shop on the Venice Boardwalk or Hollywood Boulevard on the back of your car when you park.

I rented a Miata in LA a few years ago and I accidentally parked in a no parking zone in front of an apartment because I didn't see the curb paint in the dark.

The city fined me for the parking and also no front plate. I paid the parking fine and told the Turbo owner to deal with the plate ticket.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

chrisgt posted:

I got a front plate ticket while parked, and then without detaching the ticket, the parking enforcement printed another for my tint. Two in one envelope! They're really filling quotas on these mean LA streets.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

holy poo poo i wasn't expecting the US did this poo poo, thanks for the suggestions on places NOT to live.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Portland tickets for no front plate or expired tags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That seems problematic.