Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think Star Renegades is a pretty okay game as long as you can ignore some of the most unfunny and awkward writing you'll ever see. The pixel art is top notch and the battle system can be quite fun to tinker around with, though there are definitely some strategies that feel way stronger than others. For 6 bucks I'd say it's worth it for a few hours at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

redreader posted:

Star Renegades is 75% off. I enjoyed halycon: starbase commander, but reading some of the 'very positive' reviews of star renegades makes me think 'hm'. So what is the thread's opinion of it?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/651670/Star_Renegades/

I just posted this in the Steam thread :colbert: it's not on sale right now (it was a couple weeks ago) but it's way better at the JRPG Roguelike thing than Star Renegades

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you want a JRPG roguelike get Time Break Chronicles instead of Star Renegades

For anyone unfamiliar TBC is a run-based/node-based roguelike with JRPG combat and a massively diverse cast of characters. It's good and avoids most of the pitfalls of JRPG combat (basic attack spamming, healing up between battles, 'popcorn' enemies, etc)

But most importantly is how fuckin' cool the cast of characters is. Pretty much every trope you can imagine is not only represented, but fully fleshed out as a JRPG class with a unique set of skills and synergies. There are 76 characters currently with 100+ planned by the end of EA

(consider this a spoiler if you want to be surprised by them)

Yeah, that's right. In this game you can have a team consisting of Starfox, a mermaid, a skeleton and a gruff biker. You can have an egyptian god teamed up with one of the three musketeers, a caveman, and a post-apocalyptic punk. Or a pirate, a yakuza, a lumberjack and a clown.

The downsides: Combat is a bit drawn out (everyone heals to full between battles so it doesn't feature cheap chaff enemies, every fight is somewhat of a challenge), the pure roguelike mode (where you get random characters without metaprogression) is not a dev priority (so it's short and only features a few bosses), and the metaprogression stuff is a bit of a slow grind (because grinding is kind of the whole point of the game, being a combat-only JRPG)

I really love it as someone who loves class-based JRPGs, diverse casts, and grinding. And it has received steady major updates throughout 3 years of EA.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna play the act 4 update and get obsessed for another 30+ hours

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

In my experience Bloodmage is a much better tank than healer. The game's hover text can be arcane sometimes especially for the more complex characters like Fallen/Bloodmage.

Captain Foo posted:

I would have swapped the position of warlock and bloodmage, but nice job!

My Bloodmage wasn't working as a tank then because I had an item that started the fight by reducing their HP by 50% and giving them big buffs elsewhere. I used that to kickstart their DPS, though I think it might have been a bad idea in the long-run. It just seemed like a cool synergy but I also think I didn't read the Bloodmage's text carefully enough.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

I just posted this in the Steam thread :colbert: it's not on sale right now (it was a couple weeks ago) but it's way better at the JRPG Roguelike thing than Star Renegades

This sounds fun. How long does a single fight last? Is it 5 minutes or 20?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Probably around 1-2 minutes on average once you get into the groove of how the characters in your party operate, maybe 5+ for bosses. They're not incredibly long by any means, they're just a big departure from standard JRPG battles that are over in 1-2 turns.

It gets a little tedious sometimes when you're fighting your 5th battle in a row against enemies that summon other enemies or resurrect each other, but at least by the time you learn what you're doing those fights never take 5+ minutes each

e: I should note that I play with Battle Speed set to 4x, so it might be 5+ mins each on 1x speed.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 17, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kchama posted:

My Bloodmage wasn't working as a tank then because I had an item that started the fight by reducing their HP by 50% and giving them big buffs elsewhere. I used that to kickstart their DPS, though I think it might have been a bad idea in the long-run. It just seemed like a cool synergy but I also think I didn't read the Bloodmage's text carefully enough.

If it works it works, there’s multiple ways to play most characters!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Probably around 1-2 minutes on average once you get into the groove of how the characters in your party operate, maybe 5+ for bosses. They're not incredibly long by any means, they're just a big departure from standard JRPG battles that are over in 1-2 turns.

It gets a little tedious sometimes when you're fighting your 5th battle in a row against enemies that summon other enemies or resurrect each other, but at least by the time you learn what you're doing those fights never take 5+ minutes each

e: I should note that I play with Battle Speed set to 4x, so it might be 5+ mins each on 1x speed.

Eh, RPG battles tend to be relatively short because you fight a lot of them and theoretically they're meant to wear you down and maybe kill you before the boss. If they were all five minutes long it'd be extremely tedious exploring an entire dungeon. It's a different design space.

Mind you, I really enjoy dungeoncrawling RPGs on the hardest difficulty possible where you absolutely want to end the fights as quickly as possible or you die.

Captain Foo posted:

If it works it works, there’s multiple ways to play most characters!

It worked perfectly until I got my fifth person and had to figure out how to split people up to keep them from dying. It got... very interesting then. It didn't help that unlike my other runs, I didn't have a basically invincible Juggernaut to lean on as I got really bad item luck.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TVRUHH questions:

1. How do split shots (*not* extra hearts) interact with crit bonuses and per-shot bonuses? I know the game says that the damage is split evenly across all fragments of the split shot, but is there a situation where I want to split my shots for extra DPS rather than as a bonus coverage if I'm far away from my target?

2. Is there any reason I'd want to hit up higher level monsters in Endless Nightmare rather than farming the lowest level monsters I can get for extra karma from the mote/panic/full-combo/no-hit bonuses? The extra karma early on doesn't seem worth the higher risk of being hit or breaking my combo, nor accelerating the power progression of the monsters without compensatory power progression on my end.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

god loving finally

I'm so bad at Rift Wizard but it feels practically impossible to gently caress up an Energy Attunement Death Shock run

Turns out that when you kill half the map and gain 20 shield for it in one cast, you're basically invulnerable forever, and you have a lot of time to figure out bad situations

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I just got Energy Attunement on Death Shock. I analyzed all my lightning spells and decided it was the best fit with the high damage and cascade, glad to learn my reasoning was sound. I'm sure I'll still find a way to gently caress it up, though. I've also got Thunder Lord, Lightning Frenzy, and Holy Thunder. Obviously I've also got Lightning Form and Conductance.

Around level 20 is the furthest I've gotten, and I'm at level 19 so far. By this point I'm taking a level or 2 a day because of emotional and mental fatigue. I always get bummed out when I get really far in a roguelike and die to something dumb, so I'm taking it slow! My goal next for my SP is to either buy the damage boost for Death Shock, which I've somehow not bought yet, or go for Arch Sorcerer for an all around boost to my damage spells. I've got maybe about 10 more SP than I technically should between careful use of a couple draughts of Memories and an Orb of Corruption (after googling what exactly it did).

The most oddball spell pick I've got is Holy Fire as an additional way to get around Lightning resist, but I probably could've picked something better because there's not any synergy with my other spells and skills.

Apologies for the meandering ramble, I'm tired yet unable to sleep.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I think I was kinda stupid about resistances, I really didn't grab that many damage types. Chill Wind is incredible but I grabbed it way too late, and there were a few levels where I probably could've stood to get a good AoE in a different element. Mega Annihilate is amazing for getting past resistances but doesn't work as well when there's a lot of enemies that resist you, you know?

Still, it worked, and I got around a lot of stuff just by picking realms carefully and burning items when they resisted all of my stuff.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
If you're running lightning you can just get the redeal holy skill to deal with stuff - only a handful of mobs are resistant to holy/lightning. Likewise for the holy/lightning spell, when upgraded it's excellent at shredding priority targets. The "on lightning kill, frenzy a random target" also helps if there's some non immune targets to whittle things down. And ofc there's the judgement bolt upgrade for the humble lightning bolt, which makes it hit extremely hard and afaik absolutely nothing is immune to holy/lightning/dark at the same time.
Lightning is good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SKULL.GIF posted:

TVRUHH questions:

1. How do split shots (*not* extra hearts) interact with crit bonuses and per-shot bonuses? I know the game says that the damage is split evenly across all fragments of the split shot, but is there a situation where I want to split my shots for extra DPS rather than as a bonus coverage if I'm far away from my target?

2. Is there any reason I'd want to hit up higher level monsters in Endless Nightmare rather than farming the lowest level monsters I can get for extra karma from the mote/panic/full-combo/no-hit bonuses? The extra karma early on doesn't seem worth the higher risk of being hit or breaking my combo, nor accelerating the power progression of the monsters without compensatory power progression on my end.

I don't think split hearts are ever a DPS boost. Damage is calculated first and then split among your split hearts.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh man, we might need a new OP. In addition to broken images, half of those listed have kind of been deservedly left behind, while a bunch more modern staples are missing.

teo4512
Jun 27, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

TVRUHH questions:

1- As said above, split shots do not increase DPS by themselves. When a shot splits, it also splits its damage equally between the resulting shots. IIRC, a critical shot will result in all of the split shots being critical as well (with no damage gain overall compared to the initial shot).

2-In endless, the minimum level is chosen as either the level of the last monster you fought or the minimum level of the stage you're on which means that if you raise the level to 4 for instance, the minimum level will stay at 4 until cycle 2 or until you raise it yourself. Besides, the start of each cycle for the early ones will set your minimum level at a specific value no matter what. To give an example, the minimum level at the start of cycle 2 will be 4 regardless if your last cycle 1 fight was LV2 or LV9. That means that early on, it is always a good idea to try to raise level to try to snag the karma bonus gifts as long as you can handle it in order to get an edge.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Serephina posted:

Oh man, we might need a new OP. In addition to broken images, half of those listed have kind of been deservedly left behind, while a bunch more modern staples are missing.

Ok roll some dice, choose your stats and starting class and write up a new starting point

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Serephina posted:

Seeing Qud in the "not complete, might be worth watching" section was a big glad.

Seeing Incursion and Ultima Ratio Regum was a big sad. Maaaaan, what could have been with those two eh?

vvvvv well haven't you just made my day

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 18, 2023

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Dallan Invictus posted:

Seeing Qud in the "not complete, might be worth watching" section was a big glad.

Ultima Ratio Regum

It's still activily being worked on? Guy just had some mental problems he was working on, so took a break.

https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/blog/

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Serephina posted:

we have been saying this for years and no one has decided to take up the mantle. feel free to make a new thread.

jordan barely reads the thread anymore so he isnt gonna do it.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Awesome! posted:

we have been saying this for years and no one has decided to take up the mantle. feel free to make a new thread.

Instead of making a new roguelikes thread make a roguelites one, and say discussing what a roguelite actually is, against the rules.

The perfect thread.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kchama posted:

Eh, RPG battles tend to be relatively short because you fight a lot of them and theoretically they're meant to wear you down and maybe kill you before the boss. If they were all five minutes long it'd be extremely tedious exploring an entire dungeon. It's a different design space.

Mind you, I really enjoy dungeoncrawling RPGs on the hardest difficulty possible where you absolutely want to end the fights as quickly as possible or you die.

There's a boss like every 5-6 fights, you're not grinding through a bunch of chaff enemies.

The early game can get a little tedious since most encounters aren't particularly threatening and your characters don't start out strong enough to just blitz through them (although the designated "elite" fights provide more than enough challenge if that's what you're looking for.) But you're also constantly getting wacky new characters to try out, and by the time the novelty starts to slow down you'll both be ready to move on to more interesting pastures and also have a bunch of skills and equipment so that the boring fights at least go more quickly.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone pops up every couple of years and say they'll post a new thread with an updated OP soon but it never ends up happening.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

We need to grind more to metaprogress our OP.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If I make a new OP it's gonna be mostly copy/pasted stuff and I'm gonna cut out all of the games I've never heard of and make a lot of people angry.

mmm, tempting.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 19, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

There's a boss like every 5-6 fights, you're not grinding through a bunch of chaff enemies.

The early game can get a little tedious since most encounters aren't particularly threatening and your characters don't start out strong enough to just blitz through them (although the designated "elite" fights provide more than enough challenge if that's what you're looking for.) But you're also constantly getting wacky new characters to try out, and by the time the novelty starts to slow down you'll both be ready to move on to more interesting pastures and also have a bunch of skills and equipment so that the boring fights at least go more quickly.

Yeah I'm just saying, there's a reason why very long fights work for that game, as opposed to the kind of RPG fights you're talking about.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's some content for the new OP, feel free to use it:

What is a Roguelike?
One name is synonymous with Roguelikes and that is: Diablo 2. If you've played Diablo 2, you already know what hardcore roguelikes are all about.

Roguelikes are games with hardcore elements, fast-paced action, and endless loot to collect. Some obscure roguelikes also feature Permadeath. Roguelikes often involve elements of deck building and player decision making, such as deciding which one of three possible rooms you'd like to adventure in next.

What is a Roguelite

Roguelites are permutations of the Roguelike genre, featuring some Roguelike elements (such as procedural generation and metaprogression) but making changes to the genre's conventions, such as featuring turn-based combat or eschewing graphics in favor of a 'retro computer' look.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 19, 2023

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

almost all of the games in the OP are still good and fun and worth playing. are we saying that nethack and doomrl and tome have been deservedly left behind and shouldn't be in a roguelike thread OP, or am i missing something here

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

doomrl should be JH these days maybe?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is The Game of Life a RL?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jazerus posted:

almost all of the games in the OP are still good and fun and worth playing. are we saying that nethack and doomrl and tome have been deservedly left behind and shouldn't be in a roguelike thread OP, or am i missing something here

I was thinking more like Elona, nobody talks about that nowadays and probably for a reason. Meritous was fun but isn't worth revisiting twenty years later. Etc. Then there's stuff like Occult Chronicles which I never even heard of, not even in this thread.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 19, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Upsidads posted:

Is The Game of Life a RL?

Nope, no metaprogression or deckbuilding elements. Try harder, troll.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
elona has its own thread and people will probably be talking about elin when it comes out

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Serephina posted:

I was thinking more like Elona, nobody talks about that nowadays and probably for a reason. Meritous was fun but isn't worth revisiting twenty years later. etc.

meritous still has a vibe to it you can't really get anywhere else. i'm not sure it needs a full writeup in the OP but i also think it's fine for there to be one because it's a pretty unique game that nobody has ever heard of

elona i would agree is probably a waste of space yes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just reduce all the games in the OP to text links. The internet isn't the kind of place where you need an overview and screenshots of each one because those things are easy to find these days. But lists of and links to traditional roguelikes are a dying breed

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We could at least collaboratively try to put together a 2023 list of Games To Play while we're waiting on a new OP to pull it all together.

*just spitballing, non-exhaustive*

The "big four" also should be updated to include Caves of Qud and Cogmind. And I think, honestly, at this point it's probably worth retiring Nethack into the "worth checking out" category rather than "you must play this to experience Roguelike". DCSS, CoQ, Cogmind, Jupiter Hell, Brogue, CDDA... what else? Rift Wizard? would be my "big six". I'm sure I'm overlooking a bunch.

Definitely need a category for "goon-developed" too. Dungeonmans, Tangledeep, what else is here?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The topic has come up before, but every time someone proposes a new OP it always dredges up the argument about what games 'deserve' to be in there, which then leads into the whole tedious debacle of 'what even counts as a roguelike nowadays', and by the time all that dies down all enthusiasm for the topic is gone.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a new thread should have one post for all the likes, and one post for all the lites, and then you have to pick which faction you will fight for, and then the third post will list all the metaprogression upgrades you can get and how earn metaprogression currency

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is explicitly not mentioned in the Berlin interpretation but one thing I've always thought was essential to "roguelike" was the adventuring factor. e.g., ADOM, Cogmind, Caves of Qud -- the idea that you're exploring a full world while subject to permadeath, and experiencing the exploration/adventure of seeing every corner of that world.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Whatever you put in the op, please reserve the next couple of posts for new patch notes, so that everyone can easily find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

and you only get one shot to define Rogue Vs Roguelikes to avoid constant bickering about what they are

Rogue - dates Gambit

Roguelike - would likely be Mystique in disguise or I guess Dark Souls