Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
With non-ECC DDR5, the only proof you have of the on-die ECC working is by running memory benchmarks and start looking for evidence of the memory slowing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Kingston sells DDR5 ECC UDIMMs under their Server Premier brand. The 4800MT ones are Hynix M-dies and clock fine to 6000MT with the Buildzoid timings (works fine here), the newer 5200MT ones are Hynix A-die and support even tighter timings ostensibly.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Once you start overclocking ECC RAM, you risk losing the accuracy of the parity bits and could start getting silent corruption.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kingston sells DDR5 ECC UDIMMs under their Server Premier brand. The 4800MT ones are Hynix M-dies and clock fine to 6000MT with the Buildzoid timings (works fine here), the newer 5200MT ones are Hynix A-die and support even tighter timings ostensibly.
Aren't they only capable of doing 4x8GB because JEDEC bumped the bumper of bank groups, effectively making 1DPC into 2DPC, and 2DPC into 4DPC?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Kibner posted:

Once you start overclocking ECC RAM, you risk losing the accuracy of the parity bits and could start getting silent corruption.

You don't increase the odds of silent to noisy correction when you do that. Which means that so long as you don't get any correctables, you are not getting silent ones either.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Would ECC make it easier or harder to do 4x32@6000?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Subjunctive posted:

Would ECC make it easier or harder to do 4x32@6000?

any 4x@6000 on AM5 is basically impossible right now, better off with 2x64.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wargames posted:

any 4x@6000 on AM5 is basically impossible right now, better off with 2x64.

Isn’t that the same as 4x32?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume they meant only use two dimm slots. Using all four is what is causing a lot of the issues with reduced ram speed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kibner posted:

I assume they meant only use two dimm slots. Using all four is what is causing a lot of the issues with reduced ram speed.

All 4 ranks is usually the issue, not slots per se. is 64GB not always dual rank?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hobbesmaster posted:

All 4 ranks is usually the issue, not slots per se. is 64GB not always dual rank?

No, fully occupied slots are a problem for signal quality in the normal daisy chain topology. 2x dual rank are easier to run at high speed than 4x single rank.

edit: that was the case with DDR4... looks like DDR5 is vice-versa and the dual rank sticks generally have lower peak speed? But this is on the ram side, not the memory controller having trouble running it. And you can get high speed dual rank sticks if you spend :homebrew:

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 14, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think most 32GB sticks of DDR5 are dual-rank too? The way DDR5 is organized is different from DDR4 though so I don't know how much the distinction matters. Either way, 2x64GB is the way to go if you want to overclock your memory.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

you can run 4x64. or 4x24 but any of the 4 dimm configs is broken, stick with 2 dimms of the highest capacity you can get and you can get to 6000+

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Multi-channel width vs. speed has always been a tradeoff, and AM5 is no exception.

Would I like my 7700X box to be able to run 4x16s at 6000 MHz? Sure. Is 2x16 enough? Yeah, for now. When it's not, I'm sure AM5 will be mature enough that I can pop an 8800X3D and 4x16 at 6000 MHz in and it'll probably Just Work. But in the meantime, I can run Streets of Tarkov at high graphics at 1440p at 90-110 FPS and that's more than good enough for me.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Multi-channel width vs. speed has always been a tradeoff, and AM5 is no exception.

Would I like my 7700X box to be able to run 4x16s at 6000 MHz? Sure. Is 2x16 enough? Yeah, for now. When it's not, I'm sure AM5 will be mature enough that I can pop an 8800X3D and 4x16 at 6000 MHz in and it'll probably Just Work. But in the meantime, I can run Streets of Tarkov at high graphics at 1440p at 90-110 FPS and that's more than good enough for me.

You can do 64GB at 6000 right now, you just need to go 2x32GB. You can even do 6000 at up to 96GB if you use 2x48GB.

I'm running 2x32GB 6400c28, using inexpensive greenstick Hynix memory I bought from a server supplier.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ITX boards stay winning

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I’m running 4x16 at 6000 right now on AM5, though for one or two BIOS versions it was touch and go. Just using the EXPO profile, Asrock riptide B650e.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, maybe I’ll try it again.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Gyrotica posted:

I’m running 4x16 at 6000 right now on AM5, though for one or two BIOS versions it was touch and go. Just using the EXPO profile, Asrock riptide B650e.

my Gigabyte board won't post if I do expo with 4x16, so I am at stock ram speeds.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wargames posted:

my Gigabyte board won't post if I do expo with 4x16, so I am at stock ram speeds.

oh geez, you can probably do better than that unless your ram is really bad.

Load expo, and then before rebooting go into wherever gigabyte keeps the main memory clockspeed setting and lower it a notch or two.

That gives you timings appropriate for high speed operation, but at a slightly lower clock which means everything has a bit more wiggle room. It's the easiest way to get recalcitrant ram to work -- this was what I told people to do with first-gen ryzen back when that was real picky about what ram would run XMP.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and a CPU thread is as good a place as any to do it: Canon announced the development of commercially relevant nanoimprint lithography machines. They're currently capable of printing 5nm-equivalent features and they mention expectations of 2nm. It doesn't look like that will happen before EUV gets there, but the machines are cheaper to both buy and run. Considering the spiralling costs of EUV nodes and the fairly anemic improvements they bring (Intel 20A is supposedly only going to have a 5% single thread improvement over 4nm because of lower clock speeds), giving people more cheaper silicon may be the easier path to higher performance CPUs/GPUs.

e: there's also been some recent talk about free electron lasers as a source of EUV. Asianometry put out a video on it recently too. Interesting times on the lithography front.

ConanTheLibrarian fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 17, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and a CPU thread is as good a place as any to do it: Canon announced the development of commercially relevant nanoimprint lithography machines. They're currently capable of printing 5nm-equivalent features and they mention expectations of 2nm. It doesn't look like that will happen before EUV gets there, but the machines are cheaper to both buy and run. Considering the spiralling costs of EUV nodes and the fairly anemic improvements they bring (Intel 20A is supposedly only going to have a 5% single thread improvement over 4nm because of lower clock speeds), giving people more cheaper silicon may be the easier path to higher performance CPUs/GPUs.

e: there's also been some recent talk about free electron lasers as a source of EUV. Asianometry put out a video on it recently too. Interesting times on the lithography front.

"Canon's nanoimprint tech works by physically pressing a mask imprinted with a circuit design onto the resist layer of the chip die wafer like a stamp."

kinda nuts that that can work on a nanoscopic level

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
speaking of trying to do a synthetic 3d cache test, it appears the 3d cache benefit in factorio only lasts as long as you can fit your map in it (duh), which apparently gets harder over time, with a lot of benchmarkers using 10K maps which some don't think reflects a lot of use cases. i haven't played factorio myself, but this is what some nerds have to say:

reddit posted:

As someone with a 7950X3D, I really hate the Factorio hype for X3D CPUs because it is based around a fundamental misunderstanding on how to benchmark Factorio.

The reason is that the benchmarks that are often quoted are small maps running at hundreds of UPS (450 for the 7800X3D vs 275 for the 149000K in this example). This is because the game logic in Factorio is basically one giant simulation that runs every update, and if you can keep the entire loop in cache then you get a massive boost to simulation speed. The 10K map that is used for benchmarking fits in the 96MB cache of the X3D CPUs, but not the 36MB of the Intel CPUs. The issue is that small map performance doesn't matter! Nobody plays the game above 60UPS, as you're running faster than realtime. You actually need cheats enabled (achievements disabled) to break the default 60UPS limit. Being able to run a 10K map at 450UPS is completely worthless.

Once you make the map larger, you eventually hit the point where it no longer fits in the 96MB cache of a VCache CPU and they lose that advantage. Then you become memory and raw CPU performance bottlenecked, and every CPU hits that point before they start going below 60UPS. The benchmark that is needed for Factorio is "largest map that can run at 60UPS", and for larger maps the VCache CPUs fall behind. For example, if you look at a 50K science map, Intel is dominating because of it's superior memory performance.

It's probably the most egregious example of reviewers blindly using a benchmark because it gives a nice number that looks like benchmarks of more standard games, but it is actually completely useless.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/178bh52/ryzen_7_7800x3d_wipes_the_floor_with_core/

so rather than limit 3d cache on your end, you could increase the size of the map that normally gets cached

i do wonder what optimization goes into fitting all this stuff in the 3d cache, especially given how it varies

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

"Canon's nanoimprint tech works by physically pressing a mask imprinted with a circuit design onto the resist layer of the chip die wafer like a stamp."

kinda nuts that that can work on a nanoscopic level
I have doubts about whether this is viable in a production environment. We started with physical masks and I feel like if it were reasonable at current feature sizes, it would've been done already.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kliras posted:

speaking of trying to do a synthetic 3d cache test, it appears the 3d cache benefit in factorio only lasts as long as you can fit your map in it (duh), which apparently gets harder over time, with a lot of benchmarkers using 10K maps which some don't think reflects a lot of use cases. i haven't played factorio myself, but this is what some nerds have to say:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/178bh52/ryzen_7_7800x3d_wipes_the_floor_with_core/

so rather than limit 3d cache on your end, you could increase the size of the map that normally gets cached

i do wonder what optimization goes into fitting all this stuff in the 3d cache, especially given how it varies

It doesn't even seem accurate to say that the 3D cache benefits AMD on small map sizes because the game is going to be locked to 60 no matter what for most users. Hardware Unboxed added another test in their 14th-gen review for this reason.

The 3D cache still saves AMD from being too far behind here, but it's not quite enough to actually give them the lead anymore. It's an interesting look into why the extra cache can be so beneficial, though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah, I think pretty much everyone has been guilty of underestimating the impact of the cache Intel has been adding the past few years. At least for Factorio, they've done a lot to shrink the window where an AMD CPU is markedly superior.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the GN review of the 14700k last night and it's pretty telling that the 5800X3D is still up there in a lot of the gaming benchmarks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Non-pro threadrippers are reportedly returning, with an official announcement coming within a day: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-to-launch-threadripper-7000-pro-and-non-pro-zen4-cpus-designed-for-wrx90-and-trx50-motherboards

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
3D vcache and L3 cache in general is gonna double every generation right? Cache wars

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shaocaholica posted:

3D vcache and L3 cache in general is gonna double every generation right? Cache wars

i think the issue is the physical space it takes up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cache rules everything around me

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Wibla posted:

Watched the GN review of the 14700k last night and it's pretty telling that the 5800X3D is still up there in a lot of the gaming benchmarks.

I've seen new i7 review where going from 6000 to 8000MT RAM gave games a couple extra FPS. I know they compare like for like, but I doubt anyone pairs those "new" CPUs with slow RAM when you want to game.

I'm also pretty smug at cheaply upgrading my 3700x to 5800x3d when AM5 debuted..

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

alex314 posted:

I'm also pretty smug at cheaply upgrading my 3700x to 5800x3d when AM5 debuted..

:same:

Although for me it was from a 3600X and a while before AM5 launched. I'm honestly a little surprised they made a fair supply of 5800X3Ds - part of why I got mine early was it finally hit a good sale and I was concerned supply would dry up with the release of the next generation.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Although for me it was from a 3600X and a while before AM5 launched. I'm honestly a little surprised they made a fair supply of 5800X3Ds - part of why I got mine early was it finally hit a good sale and I was concerned supply would dry up with the release of the next generation.

It's good business for them, they could sell a ton of cpus to people with old am4 setups

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

alex314 posted:

I paid full retail (because :norway:), but still so worth it.

Only issue I have now is that vmware player triggers a BSOD. Haven't bothered looking into it too much though.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Wibla posted:

Only issue I have now is that vmware player triggers a BSOD. Haven't bothered looking into it too much though.

I remember playing with BIOS to enable or disable something before vmware started working. It wasn't causing BSOD though, just "you can't run VMs fool".

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wibla posted:

Maybe virtualisation extensions got reset to disabled during a bios update. Worth a look

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
threadripper announcement finally official

https://twitter.com/Techmeme/status/1714993728237293698

official announcement: https://ir.amd.com/news-events/press-releases/detail/1162/amd-introduces-new-amd-ryzen-threadripper-7000-series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqWE9HJ83I

kliras fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 19, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The fact Threadripper vanilla is a cutdown Threadripper PRO which is a variant of Epyc should bode well for it. It must cut down on the R&D costs so it's more viable long term, while benefitting from all the quality control work that the Epyc market demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is ‘480mb’ threadripper pro cache usable by all cores?