Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
For which system will you be getting Assassin's Creed: Mirage?
This poll is closed.
PC 14 18.67%
PS5 5 6.67%
XSX 3 4.00%
PS4 1 1.33%
XBO 1 1.33%
I am going wait for the Switch port 51 68.00%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

signalis has a very specific flavor that's meant to appeal more to an impression of what PS1 horror was like than actually faithfully recreating it. it's got some top notch aesthetics and builds a wonderful mood, but its actual gameplay is clunky and uneven in a lot of ways that work to sap tension instead of ratcheting it

the limited item slots and need to keep returning to the box combined with respawning enemies is conceptually clever, but the #1 rule for horror is that repetition diminishes fear, and nothing will diminish your fear faster than repeatedly running a loop-de-loop around the same stubborn cyber zombie every time you need to get another key item from the safe room half a block away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah; the inventory is the single biggest problem with the game. Near the end there’s at least one puzzle with more components than you have inventory slots. And that’s where you discover that there’s no way to return a room to unexplored status or otherwise mark that there’s something you left in there

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I had totally forgotten about how many times I ran up to a door and tried to open it and it didn't open. That was annoying for sure.

Still love the game though!

Also, sat down to beat RE4 Remake tonight thinking it'd take me 90 minutes to get through the final chapter. Nope.

2 rockets later and Saddler was dust.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think I ran into the door issue like twice the whole game but it's always when you're running away from something lol

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I've been playing the latter Tomb Raider games, and it's refreshing how Lara Croft is confronted by the native people protecting the Holy Grail or whatever, and just goes okay I'll fight the nazis with you but also will raid your tomb for my own selfish reasons. They call me the Tomb Raider for a reason lol.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You are going to return those priceless cultural artifacts to the people right Lara?

Lara? :ohdear:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I picked up sweet transit on sale the other day after resisting buying an early access game as long as I could, currently obsessed with it. it's just transport tycoon but instead of npc cities you have to build trains to service, it's an anno style economic city builder where you have to service the escalating needs of your citizens as your colonies expand. but the maddening thing about it is, every choice you make has a gently caress load of externalities that you have to consider that weave together into a crazy logistics puzzle. and compared to a lot of these games, it's a logistics puzzle that completely organically arises from the stuff that you're already doing, instead of some contrived reason the game has to gently caress you up

like, at the beginning of the game you have one town that needs to do everything, house people, produce their needs and luxuries, and also run your industry. but almost everything you build in a town pisses off the people that live there, and your tax revenue and population growth start leveling off. you can offset it somewhat building parks but, the upkeep on those quickly gets out of control. so at some point you think about moving the industries where no one will be upset, except, people also get unhappy if they don't have work so now you need to transport the labor to industry and ship the goods back. now if any part of those logistics break down then the town collapses because either you aren't providing enough or the town isn't able to consume enough. you can stabilize things somewhat by developing that industrial colony into it's own little village but if it gets too self sufficient then, you're back at square one with everyone unemployed and unhappy, and also that village too will probably need goods shipped into it which complicates your logistics.

everything is connected but how and to what degree you have to decide on your own, and I don't know if there's really a Right Answer but I'm thinking about it alot even laying in bed here. and I'm not even really at the part yet where towns get big enough that you have to manage their own internal logistics and build little trams to move things across town, which is gonna turn all this poo poo upside down again

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shitposting The Trailer The Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc0mYAxrWWU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

You are going to return those priceless cultural artifacts to the people right Lara?

Lara? :ohdear:

They are invaluable! *buys a pistol suppressor with ancient byzantine coins*

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That looks like good trashy fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Armored Defense Force looking good

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm very "hype" about the new Cities Skylines. Also, the Dead Space remake comes to game pass at the end of the month.
Also also, I just bought GOTY candidate Octopath 2.

Too many games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good year for games, bad year for game devs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Terrible year for Gollums and King Kongs

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

at least a game for King Kong is a feasible ask. who the gently caress would ever want to play as Gollum??? just a remarkable and hilarious premise from the start

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Only if it's a sexy gollum.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Hey, don't forget Redfall came out this year, too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

skeletronics posted:

this year's been a real land of contrasts

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Gollum was far more perplexing because why would anyone make a AAA game based around playing him. With Kong yeah the game looks cheap as hell but you could get the appeal of why it would get made (if only for holding onto the copyright in this case)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

DLC Inc posted:

at least a game for King Kong is a feasible ask. who the gently caress would ever want to play as Gollum??? just a remarkable and hilarious premise from the start

The Styx games did moderately well, so there is precedence for people wanting to play a tiny ugly gnome in a stealth game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feldegast42 posted:

(if only for holding onto the copyright in this case)

What copyright? None of the entities involved in this game hold an active copyright on any iteration of King Kong, and it's very clearly taking advantage of the fact that the novelization of the original movie is public domain.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Gollum was far more perplexing because why would anyone make a AAA game based around playing him. With Kong yeah the game looks cheap as hell but you could get the appeal of why it would get made (if only for holding onto the copyright in this case)

i mentioned it upthread, but i did some digging and there's a chance it's a real, authentic failure, as there's apparently two extant kong licenses - the original RKO rights that have passed to either universal or warner, and then some offshoot "skull island universe" rights owned by a guy named joe devito - with joe seeming to have been shopping around for licensing deals in 2022 with a vaporware disney+ series and a video game deal with GameMill Entertainment, which, true to their name, seem to deal exclusively in pumping out cheap licensed titles to fool suckers with

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

does the new King Kong game have 1000 easy xbox achievement points? That was the main selling point of the last King Kong game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Peter Jackson's King Kong still holds up. That game was sick as hell. No reason to add in the whole points system but it made the game repeatable as hell

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

skeletronics posted:

Redfall was depressing because when Arkane said they were gearing up for some kind of shooter co-op game I immediately assumed they were finally producing a real version of "The Crossing" but I guess that was mostly what Deathloop's player v player ended up being.

I don't think it's coincidence that the last Arkane game I loved was Prey, which was directed by the co-founder of Arkane who left right after. Maybe Bethesda can pay for the Deus Ex IP and give it back to Harvey Smith instead of letting him end his career with Redfall.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hell, it's under Embracer now so they could probably get it for fire sale prices

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/X_AZEEZ3/status/1714150230172557407?s=20

We've hit the peak of AAA game storage bloat lmao

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Can't believe Spider-Man weekend is going to get ruined by getting a Tekken 8 invite. What a terrible thing to happen to me. Dreadful really.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress are they logging, an entire compressed ram dump?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
a kore dump

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

Redfall was depressing because when Arkane said they were gearing up for some kind of shooter co-op game I immediately assumed they were finally producing a real version of "The Crossing" but I guess that was mostly what Deathloop's player v player ended up being.

I don't think it's coincidence that the last Arkane game I loved was Prey, which was directed by the co-founder of Arkane who left right after. Maybe Bethesda can pay for the Deus Ex IP and give it back to Harvey Smith instead of letting him end his career with Redfall.

arkane's consistent problem has been that management's been aiming for authentic AAA big budget imsim titles when the genre, at least in the present day, can really only support midshelf productions. it's hard to find hard numbers on deathloop, but i've heard figures like $80-90m for budget and maybe $150m in sales over its lifetime, which is a paper thin margin to run a big company on and unlikely to get much in the way of new investors

i think the pivot to redfall was an attempt to get them some kind of big ticket revenue generator that would passively support future development, but they mismanaged it horribly and consequently dug themselves into an even bigger financial hole

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1714657722547978675?s=20

also hey is blizzard using loving ai generated art to promote this k pop collab

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Desperate for that fortnite money

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

Who cares lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

i think it's just a really generic disneyified artstyle; generative AI's still pretty bad with chokers and complex belt buckles, and any art oddities i notice (e.g. the lady on the left's got her waist too pushed in for where the ribcage is positioned) is the kind of thing i'd expect a human artist to gently caress up on versus a robut

goatface posted:

Desperate for that fortnite money

this is more a grab at what riot's been doing with K/DA and now HEARTSTEEL, where you get a bunch of kpops into a room to sing a song and get free stan advertising out of it

i still think riot's gonna win this round because they managed to get newjeans and baekhyun in the same year

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My problem with Arkane is, the word is « arcane ». You’re not mortal kombat, guys

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

ymgve posted:

The Styx games did moderately well, so there is precedence for people wanting to play a tiny ugly gnome in a stealth game

The thing is that Gollum is a hateful but also pitiable creature, who's been destroyed bodily and mentally by a force completely outside his understanding. Gollum is a literary device, not a character with actual agency, and that's kind of the point. Styx just curses alot and hates and murders the human guards for reasons. He's a goblin Agent 47.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I don't know how much of Redfall they got done before Deathloop released but its wild that they released Deathloop and the general vibe of reviews was "this should have been more like Dishonored which they are good at making" then kept going and released Redfall next. Even if it had been genuinely a masterpiece of co-op, open world shooters its almost the opposite of what their core demographic likes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Video Games Thx posted:

My problem with Arkane is, the word is « arcane ». You’re not mortal kombat, guys

Maybe they're Ultimecia from FF8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Vermain posted:

i think it's just a really generic disneyified artstyle; generative AI's still pretty bad with chokers and complex belt buckles, and any art oddities i notice (e.g. the lady on the left's got her waist too pushed in for where the ribcage is positioned) is the kind of thing i'd expect a human artist to gently caress up on versus a robut

this is more a grab at what riot's been doing with K/DA and now HEARTSTEEL, where you get a bunch of kpops into a room to sing a song and get free stan advertising out of it

i still think riot's gonna win this round because they managed to get newjeans and baekhyun in the same year

Yes... "free" is how these things are happening. Yes, totally.

Waffleman_ posted:

What's the proof here? Did I miss something?