Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rinkles posted:

Always wondered about that.

yeah the backend is all vimeo (remember vimeo? I studied film in 2010, among other things, so I do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Mostly meant the profit part.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Mostly meant the profit part.

yep, I forgot whose recent podcast or video/stream I saw who mentioned it. Might've been Pat Willems

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

i still don't know what floatplane even is

it's basically youtube-for-patreon: if you have a patreon model that needs enforced exclusivity for subscribers, youtube can't do it. Floatpane does.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

I cannot imagine a situation where I am so desperate for LTT videos that I'd start paying for them

The Dankpods guy said his drum stream had the highest subscriber count of the whole platform, so it could be mostly people sticking around for that.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
You subscribe to individual creators separately on Floatplane, so Dankpods subscribers don't count towards LTT on Floatplane. IMO this is kind of stupid and probably a big reason why Nebula is eating so much of the market for not-Youtube video hosting (since it's like Netflix where you get access to the entire library for a single monthly/yearly subscription).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

You subscribe to individual creators separately on Floatplane, so Dankpods subscribers don't count towards LTT on Floatplane. IMO this is kind of stupid and probably a big reason why Nebula is eating so much of the market for not-Youtube video hosting (since it's like Netflix where you get access to the entire library for a single monthly/yearly subscription).

lol, linus prolly thought he'd get the lions share of subs and didn't want to "subsidize" other channels

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

it's linus' bespoke hosting/community website: subscribers can watch his videos, podcasts, there's exclusive poo poo, and I think there's also a forum. A few years ago the idea was that they were going to actively court other big creators/channels and build like a sort of competitor/alternative to patreon/youtube/twitch/discord/nebula, but I think those plans have been largely abandoned for making it Linus' site, and mostly Linus-exclusive/centric, and adding features to that. I think they just got totally and immediately blown out of the water by all of the aforementioned sites rapidly developing and developing their various cultures and having exponentially more money and resources. Like nebula/curiosity stream sort of works (and is apparently profitable, so kudos to them) because they have the backing of Vimeo.

There are still 20 other creators that use floatplane, though none get close to LTT's numbers in subscribers. Of the channels that expose paid subscriber counts, Dankpods (trash network) is #2 at around 4000, and Level1Techs is #3 at 777.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Sounds like gumroad but canadian

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are still 20 other creators that use floatplane, though none get close to LTT's numbers in subscribers. Of the channels that expose paid subscriber counts, Dankpods (trash network) is #2 at around 4000, and Level1Techs is #3 at 777.

hey dankpods is cool don't be mean to frank

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Floatplane just seemed like such a poo poo proposition to me. I was bewildered that you have to pay for every channel individually.

Wow... you get some D-grade behind the scenes footage from LMG. Pass

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nowher posted:

Floatplane just seemed like such a poo poo proposition to me. I was bewildered that you have to pay for every channel individually.

Wow... you get some D-grade behind the scenes footage from LMG. Pass

it’s not that different from a lot of patreons that maybe come with private discord access or a monthly q+a stream, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

you do it because you want to give creators money for making something you enjoy. whatever bonus content you get for subscribing to a patreon or floatplane is secondary

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AKA “donating to someone richer than you”

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah crowdfunding makes sense to me when it's like some DOS games reviewer or struggling artist. Who the gently caress payrolls Limbus

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I keep getting served recommendations about some YouTuber named Sssniperwolf. Apparently, she has a lot of subscribers and doxxed someone?
I keep pressing the "Not interested" button, and YouTube keeps recommending more and more videos about the controversy. Excellent algorithm, YouTube!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

I keep getting served recommendations about some YouTuber named Sssniperwolf. Apparently, she has a lot of subscribers and doxxed someone?
I keep pressing the "Not interested" button, and YouTube keeps recommending more and more videos about the controversy. Excellent algorithm, YouTube!

SomeOrdinaryGamers did a vid on her: "Danger, Will Robinson!!!"

edit: YT is promoting her. :ughh:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 18, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

FlapYoJacks posted:

Another one of those garbage react channels which did a big oopsie and now everybody is milking it to try and catch a tubular wave on the algo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Theophany posted:

It's another one of those garbage react channels that did a big oopsie, and now everybody is milking it to try and catch a tubular wave on the algo.

Oh cool. I looked up her channel, and she has almost 40 million subscribers? No wonder YouTube wants me to watch that poo poo. She prints money with no effort.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

astounded, just shocked that someone from liverpool has those eyebrows

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
her one old overwatch video used to be one of the videos youtube would constantly promote to me more than anything else, somehow even after i watched it

some people just catch a lucky break with youtube's algorithm, and it seems to always be the absolute worst kind

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MvvCr-thM8

Steve is not happy with the i9-14900K

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

FlapYoJacks posted:

SS Sniper Wolf

:thunk:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Steve is not happy with the i9-14900K

It's still extremely pleasing to see the 5800X3D perform so well in a lot of games, as well as the newer 7000 series ryzens eating intel's lunch too while consuming less power.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

well why not posted:

AKA “donating to someone richer than you who also produces garbage”

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Xakura posted:

SS Sniper Wolf

:thunk:
You're interpreting too much into this.

She was doing quasi-naughty stuff in Youtube earlier in her "career" under the name SexySexySniper or some poo poo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mental Hospitality posted:

It's still extremely pleasing to see the 5800X3D perform so well in a lot of games, as well as the newer 7000 series ryzens eating intel's lunch too while consuming less power.

I really want to switch to AMD for my next build. The performance is great, you can use Gen5 drives without cutting your PCIE lanes in half like on Intel, but the huge dealbreaker for me is that current gen AMD chipsets seem to have an issue with memory training. It seems random, but there are loads of reports that current gen AMD PC's are retraining memory on every boot, and not even a quick retrain. People are waiting 3+ minutes to get into the OS.

I could gamble and maybe get a setup where this doesn't occur, but it would be awful if it affected my PC.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

early generation memory controllers are always janky, it'll be fine in a generation or two when AMD has iterated on their DDR5 implementation some more

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It’s mostly fine now with the recent AGESA updates, tbh. Even full retraining takes much less time, now. Like 30 seconds.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kibner posted:

It’s mostly fine now with the recent AGESA updates, tbh. Even full retraining takes much less time, now. Like 30 seconds.

Good to know. I'll do some more research. I've mostly been buying up parts that are build agnostic (case, cpu cooler), but I've been waiting to see what's been happening with AGESA revisions on the AMD side, and the new 14th gen CPUs and mobo revisions on Intel's side, and any knock on effects price-wise for 13 gen parts and mobos.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah if you go to YouTube not logged in she’s like one of the top channels on the front page.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah, if you go to YouTube not logged in, she’s like one of the top channels on the front page.

I went down the rabbit hole a bit, and apparently, another long-time YouTuber got sick of her poo poo and called her out, making a channel called JJJacksfilms and then posting videos of him reacting to her reaction videos that are so predictable that he made bingo cards for his videos. This made her angry enough to Doxx him. To be fair, I would also be upset if a YouTuber made millions stealing videos and posting them as their own with a few "reactions" on top of it and no accreditation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

I went down the rabbit hole a bit, and apparently, another long-time YouTuber got sick of her poo poo and called her out, making a channel called JJJacksfilms and then posting videos of him reacting to her reaction videos that are so predictable that he made bingo cards for his videos. This made her angry enough to Doxx him. To be fair, I would also be upset if a YouTuber made millions stealing videos and posting them as their own with a few "reactions" on top of it and no accreditation.

That’s actually hilarious. All of it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I watched that Meatcanyon animated short about xQc and now YouTube is showing me streamer drama videos like moistcritical vs sneako and god I do not CARE.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

YouTube: it’s reaction vids all the way down

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
It’s hard for me to rly take this current manifestation of “zero effort react streamer” outrage seriously, since 2-3 weeks ago people were originally doing this about XQC, who’s arguably the current biggest/one of the biggest streamers on earth.

Even channels like LegalEagle, etc got in on it.

But because 1) XQC is a psychopath with a tremendous amount of resources and power, and XQC’s fanbase is 2) massive 3) exactly the kind of unwashed teen boy cretin who would follow him to Kick (where guys like Adin Ross and Sneako stream now, and who signed a $100 million contract with XQC a few weeks ago) without a second thought, people mostly did what they could to keep the tone friendly and ironic, lest they make him and his legion of supporters actually mad, as LegalEagle recently found out to a relatively minor extent.

Anyway, pivoting to SSSniper Wolf, a streamer who does exactly what XQC does but as a cheesecakey girl, feels like a bunch of the dudes who built/grew their channels hatewatching Depp v. Heard and their fans found a more “socially acceptable” target to go after that the smegma goblin nerds can all agree on and really band together and rally against, rather than keep tilting at the windmill of trying to “hold XQC accountable” and dealing with the enormous backlash from his audience and large chunks of their own fans.

Because even if her audience gets mad at first it turns out that a lot of the guys that subscribe to flirty girl streamers like SSSniper Wolf actually just also kinda really hate women too, and it doesn’t take very much prodding or name-calling to get them to either STFU and disappear or switch sides.

Like the doxxing is a new thing that just happened, but it comes on the heels of several weeks of online campaigning.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 18, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The problem is that reaction videos literally take money out of the pocket of the original streamer. It’s certainly not 1:1 viewer count but there absolutely are people not watching the original video because they saw it on xQc’s channel.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
xqc is "friends" with a bunch of people in the influencer space as well as one of the biggest names on the biggest influencer subreddit livestreamfails, so he either gets defended or receives some very soft critique from other people, many of which basically operate their own "drama" youtube channels nowadays, whereas sniperwolf is an easier villain for everyone to go after

if she used the typical playbook, she could just do some collabs with other influencers who don't believe in anything anyway, and they'd immediately start winding down their whining

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

YouTube has been recommending me a bunch of "SSSniper Wolf" controversy videos despite me not knowing who that is, never looking up Tuber controversy videos, all of them being under 1000 views, and me clicking not interested every time I see one. It's been the most bizarrely aggressively pushed thing since they decided I hate women after looking up a Tekken combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The internet offers up a whole new hellscape of parasocial bizarreness, but watching a girl watch videos and react to them might be my least favorite.