Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Sure sounds like a sincere apology to me, and not at all a "please don't fire me from my job" apology

And let's see just what it was that he said that caused all this controversy in the first place:

Yep, looks like some harmless ol' shitposting to me, and most certainly not the angry rantings of someone who's truly a racist piece of poo poo

He done goofed. The south is racist as the day is long, but you don't talk poo poo about Dolly.

Even my gently caress-rear end hillbilly extended fam will turn a blind eye to her being "libral" because she's done so much for the state of Tennessee. I'm dead serious when I say that she's essentially beatified as the patron saint of the state, and gently caress if they don't need it. Tons of kids can read because of Dolly.

She ain't perfect, but she does seem to understand how goddamned lucky she is. Even if she's only half decent as she seems, she's head and shoulders above a lot of us.

Edit: Like, gently caress, man, if you work at Dollywood in any capacity (full or part time), you've got college tuition covered.
https://www.dollywood.com/jobs/benefits/growu/

Who the gently caress comes after someone like that?

DicktheCat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I enjoy the capitalization of random nouns. Really sells me on this being a member of a superior class of being as oppose to the illiterate and uneducated mongrels.

He could have used help from Dolly's literacy campaign.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DicktheCat posted:

Edit: Like, gently caress, man, if you work at Dollywood in any capacity (full or part time), you've got college tuition covered.

I'm not a fan of her music, but Taylor Swift seems like she could be this cool someday.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In regards to GoT being too dark the same thing happened in the spin off. There were multiple scenes where you just had to take their word that something was happening because it was completely unintelligible.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

DicktheCat posted:

He done goofed. The south is racist as the day is long, but you don't talk poo poo about Dolly.

Even my gently caress-rear end hillbilly extended fam will turn a blind eye to her being "libral" because she's done so much for the state of Tennessee. I'm dead serious when I say that she's essentially beatified as the patron saint of the state, and gently caress if they don't need it. Tons of kids can read because of Dolly.

She ain't perfect, but she does seem to understand how goddamned lucky she is. Even if she's only half decent as she seems, she's head and shoulders above a lot of us.

Dolly transcends music and musical genres. Everyone from Judas Priest's Rob Halford to Mariah Carey loves and respects her. When she was talking about making a rock album (because she initially turned down her nomination for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, saying she hadn't done a rock album yet, before they begged her to reconsider), noted recording engineer and alt-rock curmudgeon Steve Albini half-jokingly offered his services as a recording engineer to her in a tweet.

I can only surmise that Hinson, like a lot of chuds, felt emboldened by Trump's election and figured that it was perfectly fine to come right out and say abhorrent poo poo, because Trump did it and suffered zero repercussions.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

redshirt posted:

Strong Nolan audio mix vibes there, but without Nolan's pedigree.

I hadn’t seen any of his movies after Interstellar, mostly because I just don’t see movies often. Reading that poo poo about the audio pretty much turned me off from bothering. It’s one of my biggest pet peeves when I’ve gotta put CC on and/or nurse the volume control for an entire movie.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Another Bill posted:

I'm not a fan of her music, but Taylor Swift seems like she could be this cool someday.

I feel like Dolly is very actively trying to make Miley Cyrus her heir apparent, which I can get

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I just watched Gym Jordan's career die 2 days in a row on C-SPAN.
Sure, he'll be in that seat until he dies, but he's ensured that he'll never move past it, his little terrorist caucus is rapidly losing their relevancy on the floor of the House, multiple people in it are probably losing their jobs in '24, and he will continue to have never introduced or passed any legislation in a nearly-2-decade-long career.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ElectricSheep posted:

I feel like Dolly is very actively trying to make Miley Cyrus her heir apparent, which I can get

IIRC, she's Miley's godmother.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

N. Senada posted:

Link? I’m unfamiliar with this show

It's a show on Vice TV. Yes, I'm a supreme idiot who still pays for cable. :corsair:

https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/show/dark-side-of-comedy

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

poo poo i cant find it but there was some great article showing how GoT got so bad it actually decreased streaming of the earlier seasons and showed how shows of similar popularity on the platform got aggressively rewatched and GoT did too until about 1.5 seasons from the end then like comparatively no one watches it anymore.

I cant find the article though, sound familiar to anyone else?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Sure sounds like a sincere apology to me, and not at all a "please don't fire me from my job" apology

And let's see just what it was that he said that caused all this controversy in the first place:

Yep, looks like some harmless ol' shitposting to me, and most certainly not the angry rantings of someone who's truly a racist piece of poo poo

I love how he started everything completely unprompted and then blames everyone else for the consequences of his own actions.

It's like poetry. A really old loving poem that all of these people who are "cancelled" seem to recite.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

muscles like this! posted:

A post in another thread reminded me of Jay Johnston. He was never a leading guy but got steady work as a comedy character actor and doing voices in cartoons. All that ended when he was seen at the Capitol on January 6th.

He wasn't just there. He was arrested and charged for being quite an active participant!

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/jay-johnston-jan-6-capitol-riot-charges/

quote:

Johnston is facing charges of civil disorder, entering or remaining in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly or disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds, and impeding passage through the Capitol grounds or buildings.

Eat poo poo chud.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That Works posted:

poo poo i cant find it but there was some great article showing how GoT got so bad it actually decreased streaming of the earlier seasons and showed how shows of similar popularity on the platform got aggressively rewatched and GoT did too until about 1.5 seasons from the end then like comparatively no one watches it anymore.

I cant find the article though, sound familiar to anyone else?

Me either but I'm not at all surprised, the ending just loving destroyed the show's legacy, conversation about it stopped dead. I've never quite seen anything like it.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

In regards to GoT being too dark the same thing happened in the spin off. There were multiple scenes where you just had to take their word that something was happening because it was completely unintelligible.

I didn’t have this issue with Dragon house, I think the GoT episode debuted when most HBO providers (or app) were only more or less 720p. (Viewed both on an OLED and GoT episode was a mess with compression artifacts on near blacks) HBO seems to have improved over the last few years.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

He wasn't just there. He was arrested and charged for being quite an active participant!

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/jay-johnston-jan-6-capitol-riot-charges/

Eat poo poo chud.

Jimmy Pesto is in big time trouble

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Me either but I'm not at all surprised, the ending just loving destroyed the show's legacy, conversation about it stopped dead. I've never quite seen anything like it.

Yeah from what I remembered it was wild, you could see the legacy die lol

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Watching careers end before they even started: https://nypost.com/2023/10/18/davis-polk-rescinds-job-offers-to-3-columbia-harvard-students-over-israel-letters/

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

GoT actors reading through the Season 8 scripts for the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-UGhAQR_Y ooff! :asoiaf:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Well i never knew freddie prinze jr. had a famous dad who killed himself at 22.

(In regards to those VICE links about famous comedians and their downfalls)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Busters posted:

The "Rick and Morty Sounds Wrong" thread reminded me that funnyman Justin Roiland turned out to be a poo poo sack, and some of his jokes about toxic relationships weren't jokes.

Which also reminded me of Unknown Hinsion. Who was canceled for attacking Dolly Parton and BLM.

Three things about that: Hinsion's whole character was bombastic, crude and over the top. Maintained it for so long that it became him. He would say things like he founded the entire Country Western Genre and claimed he was more talented than any other artist out there. To quote the man: "Ahm every woymans dream. Ah sold moar records than Elvis and them there Beatles together"

What I'm saying is, it's not clear that his horrible comments weren't just shitposting

Secondly, dude is old as hell. I don't expect him to have an informed or progressive opinion. I'm not looking to him for moral guidance, and he's spending all the money he gets on alkehol, boner pills, getars and fake teeth.

Thirdly, he apologized. And not one of those "sorry you didn't get my jokes" apologies. He acknowledged he said the wrong thing.

But Squidbillies is nothing without his voice. I think they got canned, or on indefinitely hiatus, because the new voice isn't good enough.

whats funny is listning to roiland during unscripted poo poo is painful. I find him funny when he has some weird walls and poo poo he can bounce off of but holy gently caress. i like edgy humor and weird hosed up jokes (one of my favorites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF1L0t4ahTQ ) but roiland doesnt know when to stop and i dont mean content wise, i mean he legit doesn't know when to stop because he needs a loving laugh or he gets weird and sad. like in the pervert texts you can clearly see how desperate he is for any kind of validation or laugh. like jesus christ dude, chill the gently caress out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

teen witch posted:

Yeah, gently caress him too. I haven’t seen the newer episodes but there are far better people to replace Hinson with. Honestly a rotating voice cast would have been cool.

Did they ever solve that issue with Roiland?

https://twitter.com/hahamoose/status/1713759382092026103
yeah they got some good sound alikes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Extra Large Marge posted:

Jimmy Pesto is in big time trouble

They actually just announced that they've recast him and Jimmy will be finally coming back since they quietly moved him to the background in recent years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

that was mostly that one beach episode, the rest is mostly seeable thank god.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I love how he started everything completely unprompted and then blames everyone else for the consequences of his own actions.

It's like poetry. A really old loving poem that all of these people who are "cancelled" seem to recite.

you know its because his phone started blowing up with "yo dude, please dont do this" type poo poo.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that was mostly that one beach episode, the rest is mostly seeable thank god.

The weird thing about that is in the promos for HOT-D its obvious that scene was actually filmed during the day, so they intentionally made it dark and hard to see in post production.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Extra Large Marge posted:

Lol, I loved this response from the showrunners. No, the episode wasn't terribly shot and there is nothing wrong with HBO's streaming service! You just need to drop a few grand on an OLED TV.
I finally had the technology to decipher anything in it with a recent LG C2 OLED. (I skimmed that episode to test it out)

There really was a dragon and an army in that night fog all along!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Just Another Lurker posted:

GoT actors reading through the Season 8 scripts for the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-UGhAQR_Y ooff! :asoiaf:

Emilia Clarke's face at 3:18 is so loving funny to me.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Face heel turns only belong in Wrestling. Having your good guy suddenly start clubbing puppies to death is just the laziest poo poo way to say 'good guy bad now'.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

fishing with the fam posted:

Emilia Clarke's face at 3:18 is so loving funny to me.

If I recall correctly she texted Kit Harrington and was like "Yo, read the script before you go to the table read it goes places", and he was like "Nah, I wanna be surprised," so her trying to melt under the table when they get to the part of where Jon kills Dany was her going "I told you so :stonk:".

Apparently when they sent the script for the final episode to Isaac Hempstead-Wright and he thought they were pranking him, so when he called the showrunners to ask for the real script and was told it was the real script, he had a full-on panic attack over how terrible it was.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

A post in another thread reminded me of Jay Johnston. He was never a leading guy but got steady work as a comedy character actor and doing voices in cartoons. All that ended when he was seen at the Capitol on January 6th.

That one really bummed me out, he was great on Mr. Show and The Story of Everest is a physical comedy classic. But he can absolutely get hosed with the rest of the chuds, and I do love the occasional dunks on him on Comedy Bang Bang.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

this is the ideal content for this thread. Every main actor on that show was on track to be a megastar, and now they're in this weird hollywood/uk limbo. People wanted Richard Madden to play James Bond, and now he's on Amazon streaming shows.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

well why not posted:

this is the ideal content for this thread. Every main actor on that show was on track to be a megastar, and now they're in this weird hollywood/uk limbo. People wanted Richard Madden to play James Bond, and now he's on Amazon streaming shows.

If only i had taken up archery a decade or two earlier, could have been an extra. :shrug:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
You can pinpoint the exact millisecond Budd Dwyer's career died. Along with Budd Dwyer.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

root beer posted:

That one really bummed me out, he was great on Mr. Show and The Story of Everest is a physical comedy classic. But he can absolutely get hosed with the rest of the chuds, and I do love the occasional dunks on him on Comedy Bang Bang.

Kinda surprised Bob’s Burger’s hasn’t recast him. Paul F Tompkins was on Conan recently and they made a joke about how one of his Mr Show costars ran into a bit of trouble.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Kinda surprised Bob’s Burger’s hasn’t recast him. Paul F Tompkins was on Conan recently and they made a joke about how one of his Mr Show costars ran into a bit of trouble.

They did. There wasn't a huge announcement, but an upcoming episode has Jimmy Pesto, though I don't even think they've announced who the new VA is.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

DicktheCat posted:

He could have used help from Dolly's literacy campaign.

If you know someone with small children the Dolly Parton Imagination Library is a wonderful thing. You get a book a month till your child turns 5.

We got Dr Seuss books, lots of easy readers and then you get Dollys book about the coat her mom made her.

https://imaginationlibrary.com/check-availability/

It's not everywhere yet, but sharing the joy of reading with your children and the children in your life is something that benefits everyone. It's fun to read out loud and the kiddos love it

These books provided by Dolly created a foundation for reading in our household. At this point I have read the first 20 Discworld to my kiddo as bedtime books.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn’t How I Met Your Mother Do something similar?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beer_Suitcase posted:

If you know someone with small children the Dolly Parton Imagination Library is a wonderful thing. You get a book a month till your child turns 5.

We got Dr Seuss books, lots of easy readers and then you get Dollys book about the coat her mom made her.

https://imaginationlibrary.com/check-availability/

It's not everywhere yet, but sharing the joy of reading with your children and the children in your life is something that benefits everyone. It's fun to read out loud and the kiddos love it

These books provided by Dolly created a foundation for reading in our household. At this point I have read the first 20 Discworld to my kiddo as bedtime books.

That's wonderful. One of my best memories is my older sister reading books to me at night when I was like 7. I think that played a big part in my life in regards to my education and learning.

Dolly Parton is amazing. Illiteracy is a shockingly huge loving problem in the US.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

From what I’ve read about Davis Polk, that may have been a blessing in disguise.

https://twitter.com/marissaesque/status/1714654850632323142?s=46&t=3XhFxj6IOOxjJuAPTFwt1g

quote:

I worked at Davis Polk for two years (at one point as one of two Black people in the litigation department firm-wide). I worked on the 27th floor, where there was a floor-wide art installation centered around Black people picking cotton, entitled "Heritage of the South".

https://twitter.com/esqueer_/status/1714675783875088593?s=46&t=3XhFxj6IOOxjJuAPTFwt1g

quote:

The Davis name is the lawyer who defended separate but equal in a companion case to Brown v Board and also defended Black voter disenfranchisement laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Someone who's currently mid-cancellation: iilluminaughtii

Either you've never heard of them, or you've probably heard too much about this

Short-ish version:

-
Youtuber runs an anti-mlm/unethical corporations exposed channel.

A video editor for another very popular youtube lawyer channel "Legal Eagle" shows up in her discord one day, and asks her editors for some editing tips.

iilluminaughtii immediately jumps to accusing Legal Eagle of copyright theft - of EDITING STYLES - including "highlighting text".

The backlash from this is pretty hard as the general public finds this petty and malicious. Former friends from a defunct podcast start come out of the woodwork with stories of her being hyper-competitive, manipulative and entirely obsessed with using underhanded methods to subvert her competition.

This culminates with a terrible not even apology video where iilluminaughtii goes on defense - poorly, and even ends up reading a former employee's suicide note in an attempt to discredit him.

Said employee responds with a very long video where they talk about being convinced to basicly drop out of college and join her youtube channel, take out car loans with her as co-signer , then have that car rug-pulled from under him when he fell out of favor and SO MUCH MORE.

Then the other shoe drops when iilluminaughtii's ex produces another massive video echoing more of the past accusations. And because iilluminaughtii cosigned his mortgage, she's trying to foreclose on him.

The ultimate upshot of this is she's sueing everyone who says anything bad about her on youtube.
-

Her channel still uploads something weekly. They all appear to be per-produced in a different, cheaper style than her pre-drama work. Talk about the drama in her spaces is verboten. I have a feeling some of these videos are being churned out to keep the lights on, and uphold sponsorship deals. iilluminaughtii says she's going to get her day in court, and that will solve everything.