Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Jordan has lost 2 he won last time already lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Now Jordan is losing votes from yesterday and they're almost certainly going to resort to extending McHenry's powers past the CR.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Xombie posted:

Now Jordan is losing votes from yesterday and they're almost certainly going to resort to extending McHenry's powers past the CR.

Can they give him any of the real Speaker's powers? Or do they have to actually factually elect a new one?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 5, 2023

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fuschia tude posted:

Can they give him any of the real Speaker's powers? Or do they have to actually factually elect a new one?

A majority can pretty much do whatever they want. They make their own rules, the constitution only requires that the house be run by a speaker, and the courts won't likely get involved with a complaint that this interim speaker can't be given some power.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
What just happened that they got all fussy about and had to call order?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mannerup posted:

there are no real enumerated powers for the Speaker in the constitution (except for the fact that a Speaker must be elected), so they have a lot of leeway in what they can empower a speaker pro tem with

But what powers are enumerated for a pro tem in the current House rules? (And changing those mid-term requires a Speaker to bring it up for a vote, then it's just simple majority, right?)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Xombie posted:

What just happened that they got all fussy about and had to call order?

Either Jeffries or Jordan voting for himself.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 5, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So who does the GOP even have on deck now?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

So who does the GOP even have on deck now?

McHenry lol

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If they’re going to give McHenry power to run things anyway why not just elect him as speaker and state that business will continue until they can figure out something else, and then he steps down/is axed in favor of whoever they work out?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They should just start calling full quorum votes for each gop rep one at a time until someone gets the votes. Just go alphabetically.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

If they’re going to give McHenry power to run things anyway why not just elect him as speaker and state that business will continue until they can figure out something else, and then he steps down/is axed in favor of whoever they work out?

Because they will need the dems to go along to elect McHenry

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

"Accidentally" electing Jeffries is almost the best outcome for the Republicans at this point. If the party is too fractured to actually get their own candidate elected they could just campaign off the Democrats "stealing" the job instead. As it stands I have no idea how they raise money nationwide with someone like Jordan running the show.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

MegaZeroX posted:

Because they will need the dems to go along to elect McHenry

I assumed they weren’t counting on Dems to help give McHenry the temporary powers and were going to work that out among themselves.

If they need the Dems then the Dems better extract some solid concessions. Which, granting those would mean McHenry would become completely unelectable to the HFC.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I assumed they weren’t counting on Dems to help give McHenry the temporary powers and were going to work that out among themselves.

If they need the Dems then the Dems better extract some solid concessions. Which, granting those would mean McHenry would become completely unelectable to the HFC.

they aren't working it out among themselves at this point

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump had an entire cabinet of “acting” secretaries who never underwent confirmation hearings.

Just the natural progression of things (for the GOP)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

mannerup posted:

to the best of my knowledge, this is the framework they are currently operating under

and also lmao at the Boehner vote

Let's get Speaker Ryan back.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Jordan gets 199 votes after getting 200 yesterday. Apparently working the No’s did jackshit.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

They were hoping to have only a few holdouts who they could then publicly pressure as blocking israel aid and/or gop priorities. When it's over 20, and possibly more though, then thats not really an option.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Since Gym is my rep I sent his office a nice little note letting him know I’m laughing at him.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I want to know who voted for Boehner

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Rigel posted:

They were hoping to have only a few holdouts who they could then publicly pressure as blocking israel aid and/or gop priorities. When it's over 20, and possibly more though, then thats not really an option.

Right, but that would’ve been get get Jordan the job.

The thing I’m seeing discussed now is giving McHenry some powers to keep things running while they figure it out. I assume that would take the same majority vote, and I’m not sure why Democrats would be more likely to help with that. So to me the simpler thing, if they have the votes to do that within the GOP anyway, would be for them to just elect McHenry but with a term that has an expiration date (probably right after the CR needs passed.)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I love this jackass on CNN right now saying that this is the democrats fault and the democrats need to figure out a way out of the mess they created.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Right, but that would’ve been get get Jordan the job.

The thing I’m seeing discussed now is giving McHenry some powers to keep things running while they figure it out. I assume that would take the same majority vote, and I’m not sure why Democrats would be more likely to help with that. So to me the simpler thing, if they have the votes to do that within the GOP anyway, would be for them to just elect McHenry but with a term that has an expiration date (probably right after the CR needs passed.)

The dems do have some modest demands as well for their votes. Maybe a few dems can be peeled off with no strings attached, but Jeffries has indicated that he won't green light his caucus to empower the interim speaker just for free, everyone will want to know the details first.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
If the various gop factions cant elect a leader its factually incorrect to call them a majority party. Gop has split, dems hold the most seats (but no majority).

There is no house majority rn.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Rigel posted:

The dems do have some modest demands as well for their votes. Maybe a few dems can be peeled off with no strings attached, but Jeffries has indicated that he won't green light his caucus to empower the interim speaker just for free, everyone will want to know the details first.

For sure, the big point the Dem caucus is clearly trying to drive is "Look at all of us working together like adults over here", I'd be shocked by more than one or two at most unless it's directly approved by Jeffries.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Uglycat posted:

If the various gop factions cant elect a leader its factually incorrect to call them a majority party. Gop has split, dems hold the most seats (but no majority).

There is no house majority rn.

The fact that Jeffries keeps getting more votes again kind of indicates this but the system is set up to favor the GOP so I guess its okay that they keep stumbling and bumbling around.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Regarding the theorycrafting over empowering the interim Speaker, isn't electing a new permanent Speaker the only thing that can be brought to the House floor presently? I thought the earlier consensus in the thread was that "eternal interim Speaker" wasn't an option.

(I'm genuinely ignorant as to what the interim Speaker can and can't do, and what can the House do with an interim vs permanent one)

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

burnishedfume posted:

Regarding the theorycrafting over empowering the interim Speaker, isn't electing a new permanent Speaker the only thing that can be brought to the House floor presently? I thought the earlier consensus in the thread was that "eternal interim Speaker" wasn't an option.

(I'm genuinely ignorant as to what the interim Speaker can and can't do, and what can the House do with an interim vs permanent one)

As I understand it that's when there's no speaker at all. An interim speaker can do more than that, even if I'm not sure how far that goes without further rules changes.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

McHenry lost any chance of Democratic support when his first official act was to kick Pelosi out of her secret office while she was at Collins's funeral. Being a petty little turd doesn't generally make people like you more.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

burnishedfume posted:

An Acting Speaker appointed by a House majority vote has basically all the same powers the real Speaker has.

An Acting Speaker appointed by the Speaker has restricted powers, but all those restrictions vanish if a House majority signs off on it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

An Acting Speaker appointed by a House majority vote has basically all the same powers the real Speaker has.

What is the difference between this person and a non-acting Speaker then?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Main Paineframe posted:

An Acting Speaker appointed by the Speaker has restricted powers, but all those restrictions vanish if a House majority signs off on it.

The pundits on MSNBC said if the Parlimentarian says the Pro Tempore can’t do it, the House can overrule with a majority, like you said.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mannerup posted:

you aren't the only one, Rigel's point is correct that a majority of the house can define what a pro tem can do but having a majority of the house also just allows you to elect an actual speaker

Theoretically, there might be a majority willing to change the rules about what powers are granted to the pro tem even if there's not one to elect a given Speaker. Especially if some of those included Dems.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cimber posted:

I love this jackass on CNN right now saying that this is the democrats fault and the democrats need to figure out a way out of the mess they created.

Did he get any pushback at all asking how this is the Dem's fault when the Republicans are the majority and the Republicans are the ones that put up the vote to out the previous Speaker?

I mean, I know he didn't, but I still have to ask. Call it morbid curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Thanks everyone for the explanations 🙏 so it's a potentially viable option, but would still require a majority to vote on one guy getting Speaker powers. Can't wait for this to drag on 3 more months