Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GreenNight posted:

Yo is FF14 free edition worth playing if you're not into MMO's and only care about story?

It's still an MMO and because of that is poison and should be avoided. Life stealing atrocities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

It's still an MMO and because of that is poison and should be avoided. Life stealing atrocities.

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions video games.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

FF14’s story is not interesting enough to warrant the hundreds of hours it takes to go through it. I got about 80% of the way through heavensward, realized it had taken me like 100 hrs to get to that point and went on to better things

About the same as me. The game is somehow both a mediocre single player experience and a mediocre MMO all at once by trying to do both.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

What happens if I play a 10/10 game and then play a better game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum was pretty much perfect iirc

You liked the Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, and Joker boss fights

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RareAcumen posted:

You liked the Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, and Joker boss fights

I did!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

in retrospect, Joker turning into a hulk monster was such a sign that these games would have good minute-to-minute gameplay but horrendous writing

Arkham Origins is still the best one

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
C’mon people, realheads know it’s Asylum/City > Knight. Origins, while presenting a neat story, suffered from reusing the city map and too much Troy Baker.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I got bored of all of them except Knight, which I finished, but barely. I tried so hard to like Asylum but it did nothing for me. Tbh I don't get why it's held in such high regard other than introducing 3D metroidvania to the world, which isn't even a good genre in 3D.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The combat was very influential for a while

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
number rating systems feel good but they don't really make any sense, every game has nuance that x/10 won't be a good enough interpretation

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I give it a solid 5 out of 7.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bowmore posted:

number rating systems feel good but they don't really make any sense, every game has nuance that x/10 won't be a good enough interpretation

It's simple, if you can't S-Rank full combo every stage on Mania+ then you're a scrub. Better letter = Better than

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

univbee posted:

I just platted Alan Wake 1 last night and did both DLCs and I don’t think I remember the plot either.

Only recap you'll need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLxb7m0j5Jg

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Asylum was the first game with super cool flowy combat that both looked good and didn't require a high skill level. It also made you feel like punchy detective solvey Batman, after a string of extremely mediocre beat-em-ups dating back to the NES days, and of course having the main two VAs from the animated series helped a lot. The fact that it's also a pretty tight Metroidvania (as opposed to the sprawling open world blight the other games have) was just icing on the cake.

It's literally not surprising at all that it was a huge hit unless you're somehow surprised that Batman is a popular character in fiction

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

It's simple, if you can't S-Rank full combo every stage on Mania+ then you're a scrub. Better letter = Better than
i was talking about video game review ratings...unless this is a joke i don't get!!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

FF14’s story is not interesting enough to warrant the hundreds of hours it takes to go through it. I got about 80% of the way through heavensward, realized it had taken me like 100 hrs to get to that point and went on to better things

This is exactly how I felt. Possibly the worst quest design I’ve ever experienced with nothing propelling me forward other than a promise that it gets better. I tried several classes but they all play the same, maybe they get drastically more interesting by level 60 or whatever. the entirety of the mmo experience is just players jumping up and down to communicate since 90% of players have general anxiety issues and just want to dress up as cat people and avoid anything to do with anyone else. Hollow game, but also I didn’t pay for any of it so I suppose I can’t be mad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I think this was the main thing that kept me from really embracing the series. Not because it's bad. It's good, but it's not really my bag. I only sort of warmed up to it with AK and Spiderman. I kind of hated how every game played like Arkham for like 5 years. The rhythmic, timing based combat looks neat, but I always like I was watching more than playing.

Didn't really help that I was just generally dissatisfied with melee combat in games at the time. Was just really sick of melee in character action games. God of War told me I was this brutal rear end dude ripping enemies apart but I always felt like

when I was playing it. Same with DMC and all those games.

Then Demon's Souls came along and did everything I wanted from video game melee. Souls basically ruined all other melee games for me a decade lol. I'm more open minded now though. Need variety.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

Unhappy to report that it still is.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Unhappy to report that it still is.

No it isn't if you're not counting Spider-Man (and you shouldn't) :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wolfsheim posted:

They sure seem related :thunk: but hey, I'm no expert on super mens.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I hate to use the term overrated, because it's fundamentally a form of posting about posting, but I really think Asylum is overrated. The gamefeel is just not that good. The combat in City and the others is just so much smoother, yet also more interesting and varied. The predator sections, likewise, feel very simple and limited compared to what they pulled off in later games. It's hard to go back to, whereas City plays like a dream, and Knight STILL impresses me graphically.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
It’s a shame that Spider-Man (which I have pre-ordered now :negative: ) is still basically doing Batman combat, even if it’s a better and more fluid version.

I remembered Sifu got a couple of updates about six months ago and tried the arena challenges and good lord, it took a look at the fundamentals of Batman combat, ascended to an astral realm, and then poo poo it on from infinite heights. If there aren’t 15 games in the pipeline wholesale stealing Sifu’s system then all the intelligent thieves in game dev have quit

:Edit: the combat was about the only thing I liked about the Batman games. Didn’t really care for anything else about them (except mark hamill)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsheim posted:

of course having the main two VAs from the animated series helped a lot

I think this was a huge part of it, really. It was a video game version of the Batman we all imagined when we were kids watching the show. And for the areas where the show wasn’t actually like that, well, it was in our nostalgia

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gat drat Walker of Illusions!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fix posted:

Gat drat Walker of Illusions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woB9Y7b9TCM

if you go up the ladder, aggro her, then go down the ladder, and go back up again, don't move. she'll likely not move either and be standing in place. now toss every throwable imaginable at her and she'll be either dead from status effects or at like 10% health, you're welcome

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Pfft. Fight her like a man/puppet!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do wish Spider-Man had literally any other kind of combat than the “remember 60 kinds of combos” Batman style but I’m sure I’ll have fun anyway

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don’t like the Arkham combat system but I’m also not sure what would fit spiderman better. It needs to be highly acrobatic and flashy. They at least execute it better than other games with the style.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I really don’t know what else would work with Spider-Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

It absolutely is. Elements of it continue to show up in games all the time. Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-Man both are clearly built off the concept.

(The Arkham games also have masterfully crafted combat unless you count the batmobile stuff. Like you can go on and on about how loving great they are. Asylum is the weakest since it basically invented the thing but even it has aged shockingly well aside from having to change your muscle memory for what City/Knight did.)

Escobarbarian posted:

I do wish Spider-Man had literally any other kind of combat than the “remember 60 kinds of combos” Batman style but I’m sure I’ll have fun anyway

You really don't have to remember 60 kinds of combos at all? That's kind of the opposite of the kind of games them are where everything is tied to a specific button and things chain naturally together just by hitting one button after the other. It doesn't really have lengthy combos that aren't naturally built off connected actions.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 19, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bugblatter posted:

I don’t like the Arkham combat system but I’m also not sure what would fit spiderman better. It needs to be highly acrobatic and flashy. They at least execute it better than other games with the style.

Laughing at the mental image of Spider-Man fighting like a Dark Souls dodgeroll armor man

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Spiderman with the Surge of Killing Intent Awakened. He kills every enemy with one punch

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electromax posted:

Spiderman with the Surge of Killing Intent Awakened. He kills every enemy with one punch

That is basically how Rage Mode works in SM2.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ImpAtom posted:

It absolutely is. Elements of it continue to show up in games all the time. Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-Man both are clearly built off the concept.

(The Arkham games also have masterfully crafted combat unless you count the batmobile stuff. Like you can go on and on about how loving great they are. Asylum is the weakest since it basically invented the thing but even it has aged shockingly well aside from having to change your muscle memory for what City/Knight did.)

You really don't have to remember 60 kinds of combos at all? That's kind of the opposite of the kind of games them are where everything is tied to a specific button and things chain naturally together just by hitting one button after the other. It doesn't really have lengthy combos that aren't naturally built off connected actions.

You kind of do have gadget combos to keep track of, which is more of a minmaxing strategy I guess, but if you know how to freeflow all the gadgets together in a single combo you get a ton of bonus EXP, even in Asylum.

(Also, the Batmobile can grow on you. Really! Just do a bunch of the side challenges from the main menu. It’s got a really fun driving model once you get the hang of it (which will never happen during the course of the main story because there’s only like three times it’s required).)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dewgy posted:

You kind of do have gadget combos to keep track of, which is more of a minmaxing strategy I guess, but if you know how to freeflow all the gadgets together in a single combo you get a ton of bonus EXP, even in Asylum.

(Also, the Batmobile can grow on you. Really! Just do a bunch of the side challenges from the main menu. It’s got a really fun driving model once you get the hang of it (which will never happen during the course of the main story because there’s only like three times it’s required).)

Oh yeah. The real freeflow gadget stuff didn't really come until City of course but it was incredibly well crafted.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ahahahaha this rules:

https://twitter.com/Berlongieri/status/1714680388050985201

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dewgy posted:

Hell yeah, there's dozens of us! There are also these alternate-model batmobiles you can only use in the challenges, and they actually drive differently to the default one. The BvS-mobile has some serious oomph to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Lol. I love stuff like this and watching foley work.