Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

they don’t even have dogs or cats

you’re telling me there wasn’t a single evangelical billionaire who made a space noah’s ark?

bethesda didn't understand they were making a post-apocalyptic game even after they've spent fifteen years making post-apocalyptic games. they have pithy comments about canine extinction in item descriptions while refusing to actually stop and consider the implications of what they've done

"earth is a dead wasteland and we didn't even bother to save dogs and cats, our closest critter companions for the last ten thousand years! even the people who got away early rescued Apple IIs instead of animals! oh no! anyway, the UC is totally great"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

That would mean there would be a quest to save someones cat like in fallout 4, so having to jumppack 200 meters to tell the cat to go back into the spaceship. ~Fin

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

If you do Barret's companion adventure quests, you get a space cactus called frank i think that has been through the entire galaxy. I feel like the idea is there, they just forgot about cats dogs and tribbles i guess.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

At least there’s xenogrubs everywhere. And a quest line about heat leeches that is insanely stupid.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

what blows my mind is dogs and cats are already in loving fallout 4. so excluding them is somehow intentional, yet that intention seems to be.....................?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

but really why even bother debating this poo poo. the only work that ever got done in that writing room was carding up the coke. also pete hines is a little douchebag, let me find the tweet i am thinking of

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

and while we're at it

space uncle posted:

You can land wherever you want, it just generates a brand new 5KM bubble each time. There’s only like 50 total things that can be generated and they put one approximately every 1KM so each bubble has a bunch of them and you quickly see all of them. Nobody ever explores to the absolute 5KM limit of the bubble because there are no vehicles and walking there is very tedious.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

This is awesome though, canonicity pedantry about minor stuff in popular media is pretty stupid.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

This is awesome though, canonicity pedantry about minor stuff in popular media is pretty stupid.

Jet is a major plot point in FO2. It's like if they put an atom bomb into a World War I movie, you can't not ask a question like that if you are even half awake. The problem is Bethesda games assume that the player is riding that line between human and subhuman.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GTD Aquitaine posted:

bethesda didn't understand they were making a post-apocalyptic game even after they've spent fifteen years making post-apocalyptic games. they have pithy comments about canine extinction in item descriptions while refusing to actually stop and consider the implications of what they've done

"earth is a dead wasteland and we didn't even bother to save dogs and cats, our closest critter companions for the last ten thousand years! even the people who got away early rescued Apple IIs instead of animals! oh no! anyway, the UC is totally great"

Yeah I think outside of the main story - this made no sense. Even if all the life on Earth went extinct, most of the cities would still exist. They make Earth appear like it was strip mined.

Not to mention having thinks like wind farms generate on planets with zero atmosphere, or buildings with holes in them in a vacuum.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Jet is a major plot point in FO2. It's like if they put an atom bomb into a World War I movie, you can't not ask a question like that if you are even half awake. The problem is Bethesda games assume that the player is riding that line between human and subhuman.

Lol this dipshit didnt even play Bethesdas games outside of what he needs for demonstration prep so no way he played FO2.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

It’s not a question of their view of player intelligence at all, it’s just that they put no value in the minutiae of canon. If they don’t care, why should I stress about it? Just play the game that’s on the table instead of getting all NMA about the colour of super mutants etc.

Starfield will be the same, they will change some critical thing in starfield 2 and people will complain, and BGS will say ‘gently caress you were changed it because we felt like it’.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pretty bold to assume Starfield will still be culturally relevant in a year

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jet is a major plot point in FO2. It's like if they put an atom bomb into a World War I movie, you can't not ask a question like that if you are even half awake.

No, it would be like if you noticed a copy of a WW2 book on a bookshelf in the background of a random shot in a WW1 movie.

It's random flavor text that doesn't matter in the slightest.

Starfield will be the same, they will change some critical thing in starfield 2 and people will complain, and BGS will say ‘gently caress you Tiber Septim changed it with the power of CHIM because he felt like it’.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol, would’ve been so easy for him to just reply “jet existed before the war and myron lied about inventing it, he found an anarchists cookbook and figured out how to update the recipe to use brahmin dung”

or “whoops, good catch, we love our passionate fans who leave no stone unturned, I’ll pass it along to the team”

instead of just putting his fingers in his ears. great job!

e: also this had nothing to do with “realism” as he dismissed it. it’s something they chose to explain in lore and then later ignored. a setting can be unrealistic and it’s fine, it doesn’t need to be explained what conditions led to the current state of the game world. but, when they go out of their way to give detailed backstories or scientific explanations for stuff, it’s perfectly reasonable that fans would at least expect them to stay consistent with those details.

like, i can say it’s dumb that dogs are extinct in starfield, but ultimately that’s the setting and it’s whatever. but if you just found one guy with a dog living in new atlantis, and no explanation as to why this is the only dog left in the universe, people would be right to call attention to it.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 18, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

It's never really seemed like Bethesda is particularly happy or pleased about the FO1/2/NV continuity existing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It always felt like Bethesda only has the fallout IP because it's a popular IP that was for sale. I'm sure some of the people who worked on fallout 3/4 were fallout fans but the people directing the projects seem to never have engaged with it beyond a surface level and only know it as "wacky post apocalyptic retro sci-fi" and as a result they're littered with things that distinctly don't feel like fallout.

I just never think about them instead of tweeting at the devs though

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

lol, would’ve been so easy for him to just reply “jet existed before the war and myron lied about inventing it, he found an anarchists cookbook and figured out how to update the recipe to use brahmin dung”

or “whoops, good catch, we love our passionate fans who leave no stone unturned, I’ll pass it along to the team”

it's a culture of lovely writing. I'd love to use a more highfalutin word for it but I can't think of it right now. but the whole "not interested in discussing how realistic things are in an alternate universe post-apoc game w/talking mutants and ghouls" bit pisses me off because it's dismissing and diminishing the entire setting and willing suspension of disbelief. i accept mutants and ghouls and wacky nuclear stuff because that's part of the bit of Fallout. the problem comes when people go "oh, this is a wacky alternate universe, so nothing has to matter." that sort of thinking is termites.

goes back to how Starfield has no problem with letting you sell plutonium to vending machines. if that was actually acknowledged by the game and dealt with in some fashion, even just to show what a kind of world this is that ordinary people can possess plutonium and sell it to vending machines, it'd be one thing. but since it's an emergent property of the system it gets ignored and thereby helps undermine it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

deep dish peat moss posted:

It always felt like Bethesda only has the fallout IP because it's a popular IP that was for sale. I'm sure some of the people who worked on fallout 3/4 were fallout fans but the people directing the projects seem to never have engaged with it beyond a surface level and only know it as "wacky post apocalyptic retro sci-fi" and as a result they're littered with things that distinctly don't feel like fallout.

I just never think about them instead of tweeting at the devs though

The Bethesda BoS vs. 1/2/New Vegas BoS is a shining example of this

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Bad Purchase posted:

I've had to deal with Pete Hines, and I can tell you he is essentially the definition of a soulless marketing ghoul, he has no interest or care about the product he's shilling. He also doesn't have any interest in individual fans, his care is in an easily manipulated audience.

And to be fair, this attitude has served him extremely well, all he cares about is the marketing and he's been a master at it. Look at the hype that Bethesda is able to spin up for each new release, even when there are always lingering disappointments from their previous games and an abundant history of marketing lies. Hines knows how to play the gaming media and fans to reliably create a hype machine. One method Hines has used for decades is to make sure they only preview their games to outlets they know are going to be uncritically positive, they'll pass over well-known gaming journalists or major channels for some tiny outlet because they know the coverage from the latter will be 100% positive.

And even with the disappointment around Starfield it still has 50k daily players, it's only a failure in comparison to games doing even better numbers like Baldur's Gate III and Cyberpunk 2077.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Forget about the Jet, the kid in the fridge was so stupid and annoying regardless of cAnOn, and whoever made that quest must have been severely brain damaged (literally)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Bethesda Fallout games always feel like the apocalypse is so recent. I'm glad they kinda leaned into it for 76 but I wish that they had done it for 3 and 4 too.

They're fun games (pls dont flame me im just a lil pumkin) but I just like the setting and vibes in the non-bethesda titles better

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

steinrokkan posted:

Forget about the Jet, the kid in the fridge was so stupid and annoying regardless of cAnOn, and whoever made that quest must have been severely brain damaged (literally)

lol. for anyone not aware, the questline goes like this: two ghouls live in the ruins of their home 200+ years after the war. if you meet them, theyll explain they used to be a family, but they got separated from their son and ask you to keep an eye out for him or something. well literally no more than a 2 min walk away is a locked tube with a kid's voice coming from inside. if you unjam it, a little ghoul thing comes out and thanks you for rescuing him from what was essentially a coffin for 200 years. the kid is 100% fine mentally by the way, very polite and friendly.

so now you can walk the kid back to his parents' home which, again, 2 min walk. but on the way you get stopped by a slaver who spawns in to go "nice kid, mind if i take him off your hands?". and you can give him away just like that (marking this as the second bethesda written quest of selling young children into slavery). otherwise you just blast him, reunite the ghoul family, everyones happy, the end. 300xp

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
wow maybe the real ghouls are humans... makes you think

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fallout 4 is set more than 200 years after the war and buildings still look bombed out, like literally in places where people have lived for decades there's still war debris and detritus strewn about lmao. societies generally commandeer building materials from ruins basically immediately as needed, historically. if the vibe is to be understood correctly in the bethesda fallout universe, humanity basically completely gave up and decided to embrace living in a slovenly living space with no attempt to rebuild in the 2 intervening centuries

interplays fallout showed more accurately an immediate attempt to rebuild fresh settlements (shady sands, the hub, junktown, vault city, modoc... etc.), and only roguish nomadic marauder types will be found in unkempt ruins, since they're there only temporarily or as the occupant of a new base/reclaimation, or are attempting to bring order to a fallen metropolis (la boneyard, the den [and this one is actually an edge case], klamath, etc.)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

unsurprisingly bethesda missed the point by a mile. dont even get me started on the ultra hyper 50s fixation. they took a rich and deep ip, latched on to the most obvious elements of the aesthetic, turned it up to 11, and then gave 2 big middle fingers to anything that clashed with their bland and uninspired version of the fallout universe

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

unfortunately they couldn’t rebuild those bombed out houses because the permitting office never reopened after the war. civic building codes were still on the books so there was nothing that could be done, no reputable tradespeople would take the jobs.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

interplays fallout showed more accurately an immediate attempt to rebuild fresh settlements (shady sands, the hub, junktown, vault city, modoc... etc.), and only roguish nomadic marauder types will be found in unkempt ruins, since they're there only temporarily or as the occupant of a new base/reclaimation, or are attempting to bring order to a fallen metropolis (la boneyard, the den [and this one is actually an edge case], klamath, etc.)

Also they were disconnected from the old world, the tribal poo poo is heavy handed but the vibe is that humanity is trying to start over.

The Kings in New Vegas make sense for two reasons though. They come from an entirely preserved Elvis-impersonation school. There is literature in there to look like elvis, talk like elvis, and all the elvis music to listen to. They are intrinsicly part of the Las Vegas experience so it adds to the setting having them be there, having them be an actual faction with methods and goals feels shockingly deserved for such a goofy faction.

Compare them to the Atom Cats from 4. No explanation for why or how they perfectly imitate Greaser culture. No explanation for how these losers got all the power armor, nor why they treat them like cars. They do not have goals and there are like 7 of them. If there was a gang of 7 assholes in FO1 or 2 with power armor with flames on it they wouldn't be a bunch of cosplayers drinking Yoohoo and playing pool with little to no quests to give.

edit:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

unsurprisingly bethesda missed the point by a mile. dont even get me started on the ultra hyper 50s fixation. they took a rich and deep ip, latched on to the most obvious elements of the aesthetic, turned it up to 11, and then gave 2 big middle fingers to anything that clashed with their bland and uninspired version of the fallout universe

Exactly!

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 18, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Punkinhead posted:

Bethesda Fallout games always feel like the apocalypse is so recent. I'm glad they kinda leaned into it for 76 but I wish that they had done it for 3 and 4 too.

They're fun games (pls dont flame me im just a lil pumkin) but I just like the setting and vibes in the non-bethesda titles better

Hey did you know there's a thread in the Halloween ghost forum where you can get a pumpkin plat icon

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Punkinhead posted:

The Kings in New Vegas make sense for two reasons though. They come from an entirely preserved Elvis-impersonation school. There is literature in there to look like elvis, talk like elvis, and all the elvis music to listen to. They are intrinsicly part of the Las Vegas experience so it adds to the setting having them be there, having them be an actual faction with methods and goals feels shockingly deserved for such a goofy faction.

You also have the Vegas families who were all tribes who came into contact with House and he went "hey I'll give you a place on the strip and all the prosperity that comes with that if you agree to totally commit to a specific cosplay act and knock off some of your worst tendencies" and unsurprisingly pretty much everybody agreed because trading wandering around in the Mojave for a comfortable settled life soaking up the NCR's caps is worth everybody putting on white gloves and silly masks. Same with the Boomers being the way they are because they settled on a remote air force base packed with artillery munitions, the powder gangers were NCR prisoners conscripted into building and maintaining rail lines and so they were trained in using explosives to clear way for track construction, etc. Every faction that has a "deal" in NV has a clear through line as to why that is their deal and why it makes sense to them to be that way.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cumpantry posted:

lol. for anyone not aware, the questline goes like this: two ghouls live in the ruins of their home 200+ years after the war. if you meet them, theyll explain they used to be a family, but they got separated from their son and ask you to keep an eye out for him or something. well literally no more than a 2 min walk away is a locked tube with a kid's voice coming from inside. if you unjam it, a little ghoul thing comes out and thanks you for rescuing him from what was essentially a coffin for 200 years. the kid is 100% fine mentally by the way, very polite and friendly.

so now you can walk the kid back to his parents' home which, again, 2 min walk. but on the way you get stopped by a slaver who spawns in to go "nice kid, mind if i take him off your hands?". and you can give him away just like that (marking this as the second bethesda written quest of selling young children into slavery). otherwise you just blast him, reunite the ghoul family, everyones happy, the end. 300xp

Something that really stood out to me in the 5 hours of Starfield I played was (1) A whole lot of NPC dialogs have an option you can select acknowledging their personal traumas as the most important thing in the universe, telling them they're right about everything, swearing to be their best friend and avenge their hurt feelings (60 seconds after meeting them), and (2) Not a single NPC in the entire game acknowledges or is affected by any of their trauma.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 18, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's like they hired a bunch of "positive vibes only" tumblr posters to write the game

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bad Purchase posted:

unfortunately they couldn’t rebuild those bombed out houses because the permitting office never reopened after the war. civic building codes were still on the books so there was nothing that could be done, no reputable tradespeople would take the jobs.

They couldn't rebuild because every single building is occupied by a battalion of respawning leve-scaled supermutants / raiders / deathclaws

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

cumpantry posted:

I always thought it would've been better to find the bones of the child simply because it would make more sense story-wise. Maybe add some keepsake that links the child's bones to the ghoul parents. I know it's kind of a throwaway joke about kids getting locked in refrigerators back in the day but it still made no sense.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Super mutants being the primary enemies in DC and Boston makes no loving sense

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

Hey did you know there's a thread in the Halloween ghost forum where you can get a pumpkin plat icon

*Runs so quickly a cartoon dust cloud in my exact shape remains in my place

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Has anybody considered calling it SHITfield?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i did, but decided against it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i call it Storyfield because it’s so full of wonderful stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Starfaild