Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Hello, this thread is next on the list of "old, long threads scheduled for a check-up on a refresh/new OP."

There's a lot here, but the OP is quite old (was last updated in 2013). Things are a tad different ten whole years later. I'd like to hear regulars' ideas before doing anything

Should this iteration of the thread persist instead? Are any among you interested in the task of making an informative new OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Weird question,

I need to use an iPad Pro 11.5 to do some filming. I know "on paper" that's a thing its supposed to be good for but in reality I imagine some sort of tri-pod is probably going to be necessary.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Even a good mount that can be used with an existing tripod.

Amazon is only offering up stuff that looks pretty flimsy.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Snuffman posted:

Weird question,

I need to use an iPad Pro 11.5 to do some filming. I know "on paper" that's a thing its supposed to be good for but in reality I imagine some sort of tri-pod is probably going to be necessary.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Even a good mount that can be used with an existing tripod.

Amazon is only offering up stuff that looks pretty flimsy.

I think no matter what, handheld or on a tripod, it's going to be awkward. If you could use a phone at all, that'd make things easier. If you don't have any other choice, maybe something like this would do: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/joby-griptight-pro-tablet-mount-black/6293602.p?skuId=6293602&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=7

The camera on what you've. got is pretty decent at least, it's just really big and that will come with some limitations.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 4, 2023

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hey folks, sorry to just barge into the thread. What’s the cheapest iPad right now that will have a shelf life of more than a couple years for very basic media consumption?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fr0id posted:

Hey folks, sorry to just barge into the thread. What’s the cheapest iPad right now that will have a shelf life of more than a couple years for very basic media consumption?

The base iPad imo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fr0id posted:

Nothing more complicated than YouTube/Netflix/Prime and occasionally casting to your tv? 9th gen iPad.
It'll even do most of the demanding f2p games at 60fps/medium. Browsing and production apps are the only area where you'll want more ram.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty much any iPad you buy new will give you 10 years of streaming stuff.

Battery will be junk long before that but it'll keep playing those videos if you on a power cable.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fr0id posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G9CJM1Z?tag=macrumors-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&utm_source=applenews

USD $250

https://apple.news/A44VPyVbXTcqdg8CIR4f4fA

Personally, i recommend getting the 256.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New Pencil SKU

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUWA3ZM/A/apple-pencil-usb-c

It moves from lightning to USB-C. Works with both current pencil 2 products(that relied on proximity pairing) and the ipad 10(which relied on that usb-c to lightning dongle).

It seems no longer including pressure sensitivity so it's as good as a Logitech crayon.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 17, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SlowBloke posted:

New Pencil SKU

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUWA3ZM/A/apple-pencil-usb-c

It moves from lightning to USB-C. Works with both current pencil 2 products(that relied on proximity pairing) and the ipad 10(which relied on that usb-c to lightning dongle).

It seems no longer including pressure sensitivity so it's as good as a Logitech crayon.

It's a budget pencil. The ones with the pressure sensitivity are still around.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bought a knockoff Pencil 2 that wireless charges and supports pressure sensitivity for $25.

Apple just loving make the Pencil 2 baseline and MSRP $49.99 already

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a budget pencil. The ones with the pressure sensitivity are still around.

It costs $80 USD. which is around 10x the price of a budget pencil

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dc3k posted:

It costs $80 USD. which is around 10x the price of a budget pencil

It is a budget pencil from Apple and priced accordingly :v:

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Never felt as ripped off as when I bought one of those stupid things only to have its battery completely die like a single year later despite never leaving the ipad's side. $130 of pure ewaste

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can get a battery replacement for $29

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FCKGW posted:

No, they're right. It's a really bad design. You can't switch the pencil off, so if the battery completely drains, there's often no way to bring it back to life. The reason the 2 added magnetic charging was to try and stop this happening (by making keeping it always charged part of the design). But the fact that leaving it in a draw for a couple of months might mean that it dies forever is really bad and dumb.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

And sometimes they will just give you a new one for free depending.

I got one that way :shrug:

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I looked into that poo poo at the time and the only offer I got was like 20 bucks off a new one or something

Also it's ewaste either way. They are tossing that thing into a landfill and handing you a new one

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m not arguing on the merits of the Pencil with anyone I’m just letting people know their options. Good lord.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 17, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
fight fight fight fight

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/11/23912751/vapes-chargers-invisible-ewaste-recycling

quote:

Vapes, chargers, and other ‘invisible’ e-waste are a 9-million-ton problem / Small electronics are everywhere these days, and they’re not getting recycled.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Apple has the best chance of recycling the accessories you give to them. I don’t *know* if they do but I bet they know how to and they do take them back. It’s not as flashy as an iPhone recycling robot though so I wouldn’t ever expect them to really talk about it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Their carbon neutral stance is horse poo poo anyway.

Remember when they stopped putting wall warts in the box with your phone? Except now everything is USB-C and you can't even use half your old wall warts.

Like obviously Apple can't singlehandedly solve that problem, but it occurs to me there was probably some more graceful ways to handle that transition.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Wait, the new Pencil is not called "3rd generation"? You're telling me apple sells a Pencil (1st Generation), Pencil (2nd Generation), and Pencil (USB-C)??!

This is even stupider than I thought.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

To be fair, USB-C is less of a new generation for Apple and more of a new era.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The cross section of owns an iPad Pro for hover function and buys a Pencil USB-C has to be incredibly small.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I didn't even know hover was a feature of my Pencil.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My Pencil just falls straight to the floor. Should I make an Apple Store appointment to fix the hover? It sounds neat

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

you're not holding it wrong

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MarcusSA posted:

My Pencil just falls straight to the floor. Should I make an Apple Store appointment to fix the hover? It sounds neat

I'm sorry, but we can only help iTelekinesis subscribers at this time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The General posted:

I didn't even know hover was a feature of my Pencil.

It's a feature of M2 iPad pros only at present time

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xzzy posted:

you're not holding it wrong

:golfclap:

Macichne Leainig posted:

Remember when they stopped putting wall warts in the box with your phone? Except now everything is USB-C and you can't even use half your old wall warts.

Like obviously Apple can't singlehandedly solve that problem, but it occurs to me there was probably some more graceful ways to handle that transition.

I have way more A-C cables than C-C, because it seems like everything that isn't Apple comes with a A-C cable.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

~Coxy posted:

:golfclap:

I have way more A-C cables than C-C, because it seems like everything that isn't Apple comes with a A-C cable.

Actually most use DC cables

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Dropped my iPad and hosed the screen up good. Still usable but I don’t like it. Worth replacing the screen on a 9th gen or should I upgrade? Or just get a new 9th?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Actually most use DC cables
This joke was abominable

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This joke was abominable

Sending an alternating current of opinion here

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

Dropped my iPad and hosed the screen up good. Still usable but I don’t like it. Worth replacing the screen on a 9th gen or should I upgrade? Or just get a new 9th?

Apple charges $249 for iPad screen replacement.

9th Gen iPad is currently on sale for $249 at Amazon

Options are either 3rd party screen replacement or buy a new iPad

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Apple charges $249 for iPad screen replacement.

9th Gen iPad is currently on sale for $249 at Amazon

Options are either 3rd party screen replacement or buy a new iPad

Thank you for the heads up about the sale. :tipshat:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Isn't the iPad 9 a non-laminated screen that can be easily and cheaply replaced by a Chinese phone repair stand?

It's the Air and Pro models that are generally not worth fixing, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Minor gripe: I don’t like that the iPad version of the Notes app doesn’t have a Done button (which hides the keyboard after editing). I use it all the time on the phone just to review what I’ve written. Which is more convenient without the keyboard (because of it being in the way, and to prevent accidental inputs).

They actually addressed this!