Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

More fuel for the fire:

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1714646537555337529

It still just all seems like tea leaf reading to me. The flashes over the hospital have shown up in other, less clear videos and been cited as evidence of an errant rocket and/or or a missile intercept, but now that there's a better view showing the trajectory and regularity of the lights I'm even more skeptical. I have no clue at all what the streaks that briefly show up in the other video at the end are, either. I certainly have a hard time seeing any of this as somehow proving that this was a rocket launched from Gaza, though.

Personally, I wouldn't trust armchair analysis from this guy, especially when it comes to Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

Apologies some of my language will be off as Im still trying to grasp the history. I am referring to the settlers purchasing land in the area, I often see references to early tensions referring to this time period. I used the term Zionists very loosely for this time period, like you said there with Zionist elements but not the full on aspirational ideology.

Basically looking for further detailed reading on when did things start to get to a tipping point in the region between just some people fleeing Europe and a more concentrated effort and what began to cause the friction with the local populations.

Edit: I will note I am not trying to pinpoint some singular flash point or a "who started it" perspective, just trying to get a better grasp on the early history as its something I see often referred too but not a ton of citation on.

I think you can probably follow the book references from wikipedia here? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sursock_Purchases

In a nutshell the tipping point is 1920 and the British Mandate, because before then the Ottoman Empire was routinely denying major land purchases and after then the floodgates were opened.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Main Paineframe posted:

Personally, I wouldn't trust armchair analysis from this guy, especially when it comes to Israel.

Why is that? Because he has some words you don't agree with in his X.com profile? Makes him less trustworthy?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pvt. Parts posted:

Why is that? Because he has some words you don't agree with in his X.com profile? Makes him less trustworthy?

I mean more that he seems to contribute nothing has no obvious standing or knowledge on the subject and has a clear bias in one direction.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Pvt. Parts posted:

Frankly yes. “Anti-woke” and “anti-fake news” are phrases commonly used by people untethered to reality. That doesn’t make the opposite of what he says true, but it does mean that anything he says is no more likely to be true just because he said it.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Main Paineframe posted:

To be fair we probably shouldn't trust arm chair analysis from anyone. That goes for me too. Though that profile is additionally filled with red flags.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Yes. Exactly.

"Anti-woke" is a buzz word that appropriates an African American English slogan about "staying woke" that is at the heart of a reactionary moral panic against racial justice. Self-described anti-woke movements have been pushing back against evidence based history curriculum across the country in favor of revisionist and downright racist replacements that try to spin slavery as less bad than it was and whitewash the crimes of founding fathers. "Stay woke" was a phrase that dates as far back to the 1930s.

Zoeb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 18, 2023

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

TGLT posted:

I do not think it takes a wizard to divine the intentions of some one who, after spending last night reposting the IDF's purported evidence, made a post condemning Al Jazeera for taking Hamas at their word while taking the US government at its word.

I don't want to post about posting but people keep posting about me in a way that utterly betrays their own biases. I posted a few IDF claims and denials but mostly OSINT stuff that looked credible. It was much later, as Biden was landing in Israel, that the IDF released their own assessment which I also posted about, because it basically agreed with almost everything that had been speculated on in the previous OSINT and other posts from elsewhere. Whether you believe it or not, the live and unfolding non-IDF OSINT that I was looking at very reliably predicted what ended up being not just the IDF assessment but also the physical reality on the ground in terms of where the explosion happened and that it was an explosion enhanced by excess unburned rocket fuel. I put a lot of effort into putting relevant things in the thread for anyone reading, as they appeared live, and feel I added content and discussion. I hedged my conclusions sensibly, I feel, up until the point my own personal evidentiary threshold was crossed, and then I stated clearly when that was. I have had no motive other than trying to shoot down the instant uptake of Al Jazeera false reporting and misinformation in the immediate aftermath of the attack, not just before anyone had any information, but before it was humanly possible for anyone to have any information. That the evening so badly inflamed tensions in the region primarily because the initial story of an Israeli strike is what stuck vindicates that approach, I feel.

Posters like you that keep sniping at me over my intentions haven't done any of this, so I encourage you to contribute (more) information in good faith rather than speculate on whether I am an IDF psy-op any longer.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 18, 2023

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Frankly yes. “Anti-woke” and “anti-fake news” are phrases commonly used by people untethered to reality. That doesn’t make the opposite of what he says true, but it does mean that anything he says is no more likely to be true just because he said it.

Location: Europa is a big red flag for me, never seen it on a x profile where the dude didn't turn out to have some really interesting opinions on phrenology

Maybe this guy's harmless but the things he chooses to present front and center in his profile are right wing and white nationalist signaling

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

Apologies some of my language will be off as Im still trying to grasp the history. I am referring to the settlers purchasing land in the area, I often see references to early tensions referring to this time period. I used the term Zionists very loosely for this time period, like you said there with Zionist elements but not the full on aspirational ideology.

Basically looking for further detailed reading on when did things start to get to a tipping point in the region between just some people fleeing Europe and a more concentrated effort and what began to cause the friction with the local populations.

Edit: I will note I am not trying to pinpoint some singular flash point or a "who started it" perspective, just trying to get a better grasp on the early history as its something I see often referred too but not a ton of citation on.

The current violence goes back to the late 1910s to early 1920s then. The Jaffa Riots are one of the earliest big ones. There are two main movements leading up to this, the first being the British supporting Jewish migration under the Balfour Declaration (and an influx of Jewish nationalists) and the other being the rise of Arab ethnonationalist movements at the tail end of the Ottoman Empire (the Palestinian flag is a modification of the Flag of Arab Revolt against the Ottomans). Both sides started to push more strongly for their own brand of ethnonationalism and against multicultural unity.

Pro-Israeli people are going to tend to focus on the Arab ethnonationalist elements (massacres of Jews, Palestinians being part of the surrounding nations attacking Israel, etc.). Pro-Palestinian people will focus on the Jewish ethnonationalist elements (literal terrorism, the Nakba, the ongoing apartheid). The more I learn about the conflict the less sure I am about anything so I'm not going to really suggest who's right or wrong.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

Mostly because there's no indication that he has literally any expertise at all on the subject. Though the fact that his profile has multiple words and phrases in it that tend to be red flags for white supremacists (someone already pointed out the "anti-woke" part, but listing his location as "Europa" is a dead giveaway) is also a cause for concern.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

One thing that catches my curiosity is that an English language account whose name allures to UK gives as location 'Europa'. Either they are actually German, Swedish or one of the others that use that specific spelling, or they want to use that specific spelling for ~mystery~ reasons, or they live on a moon of Jupiter. And I think we should be wary of alien interference.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Josef bugman posted:

I mean more that he seems to contribute nothing has no obvious standing or knowledge on the subject and has a clear bias in one direction.

I'm not sure anyone who has posted in the last 20 or so pages has had any "obvious standing or knowledge on the subject". Welcome to the internet.

I mean, sure, people come from different political camps and wholesale write off the other side once they have had enough of them. But I would say that dismissing anything that even smells of going against your bias is a surefire way to never ever change your mind about anything at all. In any case, this should definitely not have any place in a debate and discussion forum. Ironically, the position he is taking is seemingly against his supposed bias (anti-Israel).

Rakosi posted:

I don't want to post about posting but people keep posting about me in a way that utterly betrays their own biases. I posted a few IDF claims and denials but mostly OSINT stuff that looked credible. It was much later, as Biden was landing in Israel, that the IDF released their own assessment which I also posted about, because it basically agreed with almost everything that had been speculated on in the previous OSINT and other posts from elsewhere. Whether you believe it or not, the live and unfolding non-IDF OSINT that I was looking at very reliably predicted what ended up being not just the IDF assessment but also the physical reality on the ground in terms of where the explosion happened and that it was an explosion enhanced by excess unburned rocket fuel. I put a lot of effort into putting relevant things in the thread for anyone reading, as they appeared live, and feel I added content and discussion. I hedged my conclusions sensibly, I feel, up until the point my own personal evidentiary threshold was crossed, and then I stated clearly when that was. I have had no motive other than trying to shoot down the instant uptake of Al Jazeera false reporting and misinformation in the immediate aftermath of the attack, not just before anyone had any information, but before it was humanly possible for anyone to have any information. That the evening so badly inflamed tensions in the region primarily because the initial story of an Israeli strike is what stuck vindicates that approach, I feel.

Posters like you that keep sniping at me over my intentions haven't done any of this, so I encourage you to contribute (more) information in good faith rather than speculate on whether I am an IDF psy-op any longer.

You are probably the best voice in this thread atm. It's extremely telling that they (whoever is able) have given you (and now I see, me) a dunce cap to wear to designate us as "not toeing the line earnestly with heart, mind, and soul".

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 18, 2023

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Rakosi posted:

I am sorry if you feel you were treated unfairly despite, what you felt, were sincere efforts to add content to the discussion. I do disagree with you however but its nothing personal.

You must understand though that emotions are running high right now. This is a war and some would say a massacre. One front for this war is the PR front, though one where we get to sit in comfortable chairs far away from the conflict. You have to make an allowance, when you walk in to a discussion like this that people are going to be very angry. They are going to have hair trigger tempers. The images we're seeing coming out of the conflict, the rhetoric, its heartbreaking. Israelis and many many more Palestinians have lost their lives. I would say that it is an unjust situation even before the conflict but from the point of view of a zionists, who I think are completely in the wrong, they think that the creator of the entire universe is commanding them to do these things and take control of this land and that controlling this land is keeping them from being on the receiving end of another holocaust which I imagine is a lot of pressure so their emotions are high too. Probably. I don't know.

I do my best to have empathy for people and listen but I am not immune to being affected by the heartbreaking details of this conflict.

Pvt. Parts posted:

You are probably the best voice in this thread atm. It's extremely telling that they (whoever is able) have given you (and now I see, me) a dunce cap to wear to designate us as "not toeing the line earnestly with heart, mind, and soul".

That's just part of the forum culture. It's not exactly polite or respectful but it happens even from trivial subjects like threats about video games or whatever. I'm sorry that you feel that you were treated unfairly but You tacitly agreed to experience some kind of unpleasantness by joining this conversation in the first place. I understand when I come in here that I'm probably going to run into someone who feels very strongly in favor of the Israeli position. Essentially those people are in some kind of cult in my view. They've been indoctrinated into a worldview and they genuinely see themselves as the good guys.

For goodness sakes I don't think there is a topic that is more inflammatory than the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. So yeah people are going to be pretty mean to you and to me and to everyone. Just be glad that we get to sit in comfortable chairs while this is going on and just argue with people on the internet.

It is so much worse on the ground

Zoeb fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 18, 2023

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

On one hand it could be the state thats been leveling buildings in Gaza for a fortnight, the state who initially claimed responsibility for the attack, and claimed they warned about the attack in advance, on the other hand Hamas may have used a secret bomb more lethal than thousands of their rockets combined, that they saved for the special occasion of destroying their own hospital.

Truly this is worth a lengthy discussion and isn't just an utterly pathetic derail.

Like I understand that Israel could execute every man woman and child in Gaza with a bullet to the back of the head and the media would blame Hamas but literally claiming responsibility and then backtracking once it was obvious how much damage was done, and then the entire western media turning perfectly on a dime to parrot the new marching orders is just nauseating.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

NovemberMike posted:

The current violence goes back to the late 1910s to early 1920s then. The Jaffa Riots are one of the earliest big ones. There are two main movements leading up to this, the first being the British supporting Jewish migration under the Balfour Declaration (and an influx of Jewish nationalists) and the other being the rise of Arab ethnonationalist movements at the tail end of the Ottoman Empire (the Palestinian flag is a modification of the Flag of Arab Revolt against the Ottomans). Both sides started to push more strongly for their own brand of ethnonationalism and against multicultural unity.

Pro-Israeli people are going to tend to focus on the Arab ethnonationalist elements (massacres of Jews, Palestinians being part of the surrounding nations attacking Israel, etc.). Pro-Palestinian people will focus on the Jewish ethnonationalist elements (literal terrorism, the Nakba, the ongoing apartheid). The more I learn about the conflict the less sure I am about anything so I'm not going to really suggest who's right or wrong.

Just to piggyback on this.

I recently read these two wikis about the early Zionist immigrants that I had no idea about prior. Every time IP pops up, I learn some new deep history about it. I am a dumb dumb and thought the majority of Jewish people in Palestine prior to the 40s/50s were there since forever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Aliyah
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Aliyah

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Rakosi posted:

I have had no motive other than trying to shoot down the instant uptake of Al Jazeera false reporting and misinformation in the immediate aftermath of the attack, not just before anyone had any information, but before it was humanly possible for anyone to have any information. That the evening so badly inflamed tensions in the region primarily because the initial story of an Israeli strike is what stuck vindicates that approach, I feel.

Now that a western reporter speaking to several experts has flat out claimed the IDF's supposed evidence is fake, does this at all change your assessment on the veracity of the Al Jazeera reporting attributing the attack to Israel?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

celadon posted:

On one hand it could be the state thats been leveling buildings in Gaza for a fortnight, the state who initially claimed responsibility for the attack, and claimed they warned about the attack in advance, on the other hand Hamas may have used a secret bomb more lethal than thousands of their rockets combined, that they saved for the special occasion of destroying their own hospital.

A hospital which Israel ordered evacuated and that it had struck with rockets just a couple days before.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nenonen posted:

One thing that catches my curiosity is that an English language account whose name allures to UK gives as location 'Europa'. Either they are actually German, Swedish or one of the others that use that specific spelling, or they want to use that specific spelling for ~mystery~ reasons, or they live on a moon of Jupiter. And I think we should be wary of alien interference.

They are definitely not tweeting from a country that spells it with an a, your location is automatically translated into the browser's language. If they had selected their location to be the continent of Europe, it would show as such in English. They've gone out of their way to pick the moon of Jupiter (or some tiny midwestern town in the US, idk), to signal their support for white supremacy.

you categorically do not have to give them the benefit of the doubt or pretend that politics is a team sport where people who do not bother to acknowledge nazi grievances are unfairly biased

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

celadon posted:

Truly this is worth a lengthy discussion and isn't just an utterly pathetic derail.

Like I understand that Israel could execute every man woman and child in Gaza with a bullet to the back of the head and the media would blame Hamas but literally claiming responsibility and then backtracking once it was obvious how much damage was done, and then the entire western media turning perfectly on a dime to parrot the new marching orders is just nauseating.

I don't know much about bombs but that parking lot explosion doesn't look very big, is Hamas just not able to get anything bigger than your average redneck? Is Israel like blocking them from getting the resources they need to make something bigger, I suppose that would make sense as they seem to do a large amount of border control but I don't follow the flow of goods etc that closely.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Pvt. Parts posted:

+1. Thank you Rakosi for being a voice of reason in the sea of fanaticism/blind rage/extremism (while relatable, it is not helpful in a discussion forum). The last 30 or 50 pages have been insane to read over the last few days. Usually, I find D&D is a rock solid / safe place to wade through very complicated issues, but this time it's wild and unhinged.

Zoeb posted:

That's just part of the forum culture.

I can't agree with this. This thread, especially the last 30-50 pages, has been out of control. This is not typical SA D&D posting. Or perhaps I am out of touch.

Before I get poo poo on, I am not supporting Isreal.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mitztronic posted:

+1. Thank you Rakosi for being a voice of reason in the sea of fanaticism/blind rage/extremism (while relatable, it is not helpful in a discussion forum). The last 30 or 50 pages have been insane to read over the last few days. Usually, I find D&D is a rock solid / safe place to wade through very complicated issues, but this time it's wild and unhinged.

I can't agree with this. This thread, especially the last 30-50 pages, has been out of control. This is not typical SA D&D posting. Or perhaps I am out of touch.

Not really in a position to judge what is or isn't insane when you're lauding the posting of the worst poster in those pages.

Useful Distraction posted:

Now that a western reporter speaking to several experts has flat out claimed the IDF's supposed evidence is fake, does this at all change your assessment on the veracity of the Al Jazeera reporting attributing the attack to Israel?

It's almost certainly what Biden and Schumer are citing as the signal intelligence they got from the DoD too.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 18, 2023

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

I don't know much about bombs but that parking lot explosion doesn't look very big, is Hamas just not able to get anything bigger than your average redneck? Is Israel like blocking them from getting the resources they need to make something bigger, I suppose that would make sense as they seem to do a large amount of border control but I don't follow the flow of goods etc that closely.

This looks big
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1714337776873640216

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

mitztronic posted:

Am I taking crazy pills? The dude who irrationally assigns blame to whatever feels right and silently ignores rebuttals to supposed evidence is the voice of reason? What's wrong with you people

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Should be pointed out that this is the only known video of the events that happened that is not (to my knowledge) disputed and there is 0 evidence that PIJ or anyone else was sending up rockets at the time of the bombing. The various videos of rockets going up are (as helpfully pointed out by Rakosi) time coded 40 minutes after the bombing is thought to have taken place.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 5, 2023

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

celadon posted:

Any bomb is more or less lethal depending on whether it lands on a large crowd of people or not. Unspent fuel enhancing the explosion is not a highly, highly unrealistic eventuality like you imply regarding the force of the explosion.

This may not be the particular tweet you reference in regard to Israeli claims of responsibility, but it is one of the ones I have seen being spread around. This guy is a content creator who was drafted. He retracted his claims, and had no basis for making them in the first place.

According to something I have heard on the UK radio today (LBC, James O'Brien) that I cannot confirm, there is a chance his wife posted the claims, or something? They are one of those very kooky social media/content creator/blogger/influencer couples. She also has her own twitter and posts strongly pro-IDF conflict content, because of course she does.
https://twitter.com/HananyaNaftali/status/1711291414946914551

Useful Distraction posted:

I've seen this, have been thinking about it and it's a very fair question.

Not just yet, and this is because unlike being able to see the aftermath of an explosion with my eyes, or to look at footage, I do not speak Arabic and cannot intuitively tell if this assessment is true or not by relying on my own judgement or research like I can in the case of other more physical evidence. I do speak another language than English so I can imagine what unconvincing syntax, tone and accent would sound like but I wouldn't be able to convey that easily to someone who didn't also speak the language. They'd have to just trust me on that, as I would just have to trust an expert on the audio.

There's enough information for me to feel it is highly unlikely to have been an IDF strike, or even to say there is proof that it wasn't, that I'd need a lot more proof in the other direction to move me, if I'm being honest. If I saw this being picked up way more broadly and a proper explanation of what exactly is wrong with the audio from these experts, I'd definitely weigh this a lot heavier and my disgust for the IDF would increase more, if it even can.

Also, even if we did get absolute proof that the IDF did it it would not absolve Al Jazeera of reporting things that they could not have possibly been able to confirm at the time, they would just end up having been just lucky they were right this time.

There have also been tweeted claims that the rocket launches just before the hospital explosion were pre announced by Hamas, but I have avoided posting this because I can't read Arabic and I'm not sure if the timestamps make sense, because the hospital was struck at around 19:20, but this could be similar to issues of software timezones shifting stuff by exactly an hour that has been talked about in reference to some of the video footage. It's also weird because Israel is accusing PIJ not Hamas, but, anyway, here you go, if you can read it.

https://twitter.com/JordanSchachtel/status/1714350115312255019

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 18, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
ah yes his wife was the one who made the post taking credit for the strike because no doubt she would know about the strike literally as it is happening makes perfect sense

lmfao who comes up with this poo poo

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 5, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Two men threw molotov cocktails at a synagogue in Germany, my family is freaking out, of course the German far right is seizing on this as an opportunity to demand the country be cleansed of antisémites, by which they obviously actually mean the forced removal of any Muslim from the Middle East or North Africa. https://apnews.com/article/germany-berlin-synagogue-antisemitism-fdd10f32f7d5efc6da973f00c9a8b030

Everything that happens in Gaza is rippling out over the world, making it more dangerous to be Muslim, to be Arab, to be Jewish. And all these ripples have ripples, like the attack on the synagogue is going to empower the most dangerous anti-Muslim/anti-refugee parties in Europe like AfD. And the barbarism in Gaza is only getting worse as the Israeli state embraces every post-9/11 American insanity and more.

What we are seeing is not just thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands of lives ruined in weeks, we are watching the Israeli state and its backers plant the seeds for crimes and terrors for decades to come. Absolutely loving nauseating.

Bibi Netanyahu should be remembered by history as the most calamitiously villainous and hubristically incompetent leader in Jewish society - at any level, secular or religious - in thousands of years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rakosi posted:

Also, even if we did get absolute proof that the IDF did it it would not absolve Al Jazeera of reporting things that they could not have possibly been able to confirm at the time, they would just end up having been just lucky they were right this time.

According to post up thread, Israel had ordered everyone to evacuate, said they were going to bomb, and had in fact previously bombed that hospital, right?

It's hardly an unfair assumption in that circumstance to assume the idf was doing the same thing again. Live your life such that when a hospital gets bombed the natural assumption is not that you did it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rakosi posted:

I don't want to post about posting but people keep posting about me in a way that utterly betrays their own biases.

It is insane for you to be complaining about other people’s biases when you were banned for arguing that there’s no such thing as Islamophobia.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Skex posted:

Re the hospital bombing, I don't give a gently caress who's ordinance caused the destruction Israel is responsible because they are the ones engaged in a illegal genocidal campaign of collective punishment in response to the acts of a small group of criminals.

Any discussion that ignores that reality is nothing more than genocide apologia.

Agreed

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

That guy is definitely not the voice of reason.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

mannerup posted:

that is a wild claim to throw out that his wife did it, I would be suspect of any source that makes that particular speculation for multiple reasons

Depends, did the wife have "anti-woke"in her bio?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

According to post up thread, Israel had ordered everyone to evacuate, said they were going to bomb, and had in fact previously bombed that hospital, right?

It's hardly an unfair assumption in that circumstance to assume the idf was doing the same thing again. Live your life such that when a hospital gets bombed the natural assumption is not that you did it.

Israel has been bombing the absolute gently caress out of Gaza for a week and a half and opening talking about how it's going to turn Gaza into a big pile of rubble, but wouldn't you know it, this one particular bombing that's an obvious war crime that has drawn massive international disapproval just so happens to not have been Israel's fault.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

uno.mannschaft posted:

Depends, did the wife have "anti-woke"in her bio?

You don't think that undermines someone's credibility?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Rakosi posted:

There have also been tweeted claims that the rocket launches just before the hospital explosion were pre announced by Hamas, but I have avoided posting this because I can't read Arabic and I'm not sure if the timestamps make sense, because the hospital was struck at around 19:20, but this could be similar to issues of software timezones shifting stuff by exactly an hour that has been talked about in reference to some of the video footage. It's also weird because Israel is accusing PIJ not Hamas, but, anyway, here you go, if you can read it.

https://twitter.com/JordanSchachtel/status/1714350115312255019

Nobody reputable, not even the IDF, is claiming that Hamas is responsible for the explosion.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, I agree, but this isn't journalism.

Gripweed posted:

It is insane for you to be complaining about other people’s biases when you were banned for arguing that there’s no such thing as Islamophobia.

I went away, touched grass, and grew as a person. They are indefensible comments that I don't stand by.

mannerup posted:

that is a wild claim to throw out that his wife did it, I would be suspect of any source that makes that particular speculation for multiple reasons
I agree, which is why I said I couldn't confirm it but did find that tweet of him claiming on the 9th that his wife was taking over his twitter. Of course, he could still be tweeting, but I have no idea. I don't believe he claimed after the fact that his wife hacked his account or something. Regardless he's just a draftee content creator, not an IDF source or official.

The Kingfish posted:

Nobody reputable, not even the IDF, is claiming that Hamas is responsible for the explosion.
Yes, I quickly edited that into my post immediately after posting, for transparency. Unlike other aspects of the story there has been less explanation as to why Israel is so sure it was PIJ and not HAMAS, but I am assuming the Israeli assumption comes from the two alleged HAMAS militants on that audio that reference it having been fired by PIJ, but they could also have easily been mistaken. The exact attribution (as in, which militant group inside Gaza) still seems like an evidentiarily unsettled matter to me.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 18, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PostNouveau posted:

Israel has been bombing the absolute gently caress out of Gaza for a week and a half and opening talking about how it's going to turn Gaza into a big pile of rubble, but wouldn't you know it, this one particular bombing that's an obvious war crime that has drawn massive international disapproval just so happens to not have been Israel's fault.

My partner does a lot of work for Journal of Palestine Studies and it's infuriating seeing this same poo poo over and over again whether it's a person being assassinated, or kids being killed or this. Israel vehemently says 1,000% that the IDF didn't do it and had nothing to do it, then they suddenly have "proof" that Hamas did it, then it's Hamas did it but accidentally in a crossfire because they're so evil, then after awhile it will be that the IDF did it but accidentally in the chaos of the absolutely 100% work of the IDF the world's most humane army or whatever the marketing is that year so it's totally acceptable, then a few months later there'll be a quiet like "Oh yeah the IDF's investigation has found that they did actually do that 100% intentionally oh well"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

mannerup posted:

This hearkens back to a simpler time on the internet, “wife-like typing detected,” a hoary fark.com meme based on a very similar explanation a poster gave himself when several of his posts were just straight up lies about some early oughts political debate. He just said “oh my wife loves my posts and she must’ve logged in as me to debate you too.” Just astonishing that we haven’t grasped that this rhetorical strategy contains enormous problems for your ongoing and retrospective credibility and dignity.