Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Went to Best Buy to pick up The Blob, was surprised to see they actually had a copy of that awesome looking Wicker Man steelbook. Didn't have a choice really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
pardon me for coming in out of nowhere, but there was a small passage at the end of the Digital Bits article breaking the Best Buy news, and I wanted an assessment from people who pay more attention to this than I do:

The Digital Bits posted:

So our advice to disc fans continues to be this: Buy the titles you want while you still can, because gone are the days when the studios are going to keep releasing these titles on disc forever. Support physical media in every way you can, knowing that 4K Ultra HD is likely to be the last physical media format that comes to market.
Is there any serious weight behind the assertion of UHD being the "last physical media format"?

also, if I were, say, inspired by this news to try to bolster my disc library that's 90% DVDs, should I be just getting poo poo-tons of blu-rays (since my personal monitor is 1080p), or holding out for UHD releases (since I have a game system that will play them and maybe one day will upgrade to a higher-res TV)?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That Wicker Man 4k looks gorgeous. I'm not even talking about the quality of the movie, the packaging is really pretty.

Is this how I get into steelbooks???

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Argus Zant posted:

pardon me for coming in out of nowhere, but there was a small passage at the end of the Digital Bits article breaking the Best Buy news, and I wanted an assessment from people who pay more attention to this than I do:

Is there any serious weight behind the assertion of UHD being the "last physical media format"?

also, if I were, say, inspired by this news to try to bolster my disc library that's 90% DVDs, should I be just getting poo poo-tons of blu-rays (since my personal monitor is 1080p), or holding out for UHD releases (since I have a game system that will play them and maybe one day will upgrade to a higher-res TV)?

well, i would definitely spring for any uhd over any blu-ray if cost isn't a concern.

is it the last physical format? i don't feel qualified enough on the manufacturing and industry sides of it, but claiming anything is the last of whatever is often shortsighted.

looks, there's always going to be a market for physical media. books, games, music, films, whatever. at the very, very, very least, some boutique places, like criterion or kino or vinegar syndrome or whoever, are going to make physical copies. why? because there's a market for these things and they will make a profit. it's that simple. same with all of the other media. last run games, tons of vinyl facilities, books are still largely print even though literally EVERY technological device i own can display a book.

now, does this mean each and every release from each and every studio will get a release? like, will whatever 2.5-star, filler, forgettable kids movie get one? will netflix films? will all tv shows? no. i don't think that. but to say we're nearing the end of physical versions of film is just silly.

i think what happened with cd and music in general is instructive. three decades ago, everyone from top to bottom released a cd. now? not so much. sure, the big acts do, but to nowhere near the extent britney spears did. and even the lesser known, indie acts release physical versions, but just in novel, small-batch ways. it's more efficient, accepts our new technological reality, and appeases everyone.

basically where i see film going. if anything, given how much visual fidelity and add-ons/packaging go with film, i would wager we'll see another format at some point. the cycle will start all over. 8k, 12k, no idea. kind of depends on where tv manufacturers go. then 10yr after the advent of whatever new resolution, it will become the norm and the whole cycle will start again.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 18, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Argus Zant posted:

What would a future format even provide? 8K and UltraMegaHDR? For 2D, UHD has an incredible amount of potential detail and it’s only when you get into massive screens where you might benefit from a higher resolution. Even then the source movie probably doesn’t have more detail to give outside of a few 70mm movies.

There will probably be some kind of new format for VR/AR stuff, but I don’t know why that would come on a disc. That’s more of a computer/gadget tech and home PCs have abandoned physical media for well over a decade and smartphones never had any (no, I don’t count SD cards).

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Argus Zant posted:

Get what you want to own in the best and most affordable format. UHDs cost exponentially more money to produce than Blu-rays (which cost more than DVDs) so realise that, even when sourced from a 2160 scan, it often will not be financially viable for the disc's producers to go further than 1080, and if it's something that may not even sell more than a few hundred copies, 480.

As for the last format, yeah, 8K is bound to always be a production format. 35mm cine film's resolve basically tops out somewhere around 4k and with how relatively niche the 4k disc format is, the likelihood of anything further is realistically unlikely.

Also important to remember that if a film was finished in 2k, then the benefits to a 4k release are limited to HDR and the upscale job. That's a YMMV thing, and it varies from film to film. For a personal example, the Lord of the Rings films had too much post production fuckery for my tastes (radically altering the colour timing and hammering the DNR button to make it look digital like the Hobbit films), so I am sticking with my Blu-rays.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
UHD discs are also physically easier to damage than regular Blu-ray. Between that and the often high price increase, it’s either gotta be something really important/beloved or really cheap for me to bother with UHD.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Rarewaves has the UK edition of The Exorcist 4K for a good price:
https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5051892243155-the-exorcist

Only about $30 shipped to the US. Same 4K discs, but the Blu-rays from the Warner "Anthology" box set, so you get all the extras from before.

(FYI, Warner almost never region locks worldwide and UHD is region free 99% of the time anyways)

This is from a few pages ago, but if you're planning to upgrade your copy of The Exorcist from plain ol' blu to 4K, keep in mind that there's a bit of a downgrade in special features. The blu-ray edition I have has an extra disc of special features, which the 4K doesn't have.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Warner Discovery has been shite about that lately.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

pwn posted:

Warner Discovery has been shite.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: found the answer to my own question, carry on

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 18, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't spend the money I spend on movies with the idea that I'm gonna be sitting here 15 or 20 years from now still watching them and getting entertainment from that investment. I assume that either the discs won't be reliable by then, or there won't be a player on the market anymore to buy, and/or new formats will have come in that will have make my collection mostly obsolete. I've been enjoying my blu ray collection for about 10 years now, and I expect to get another 10 years or so out of them but anything more than that will be icing on the cake in my mind.

Anyway some of the comments I've seen in reviews of The Wicker Man UHD are correct in that the disc only has the Final Cut on it, which means you do have to be ok with some wild swings in quality where they've inserted the extra footage. The majority of the movie looks amazing though, the colors of Summerisle really pop.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Went to Best Buy to pick up The Blob, was surprised to see they actually had a copy of that awesome looking Wicker Man steelbook. Didn't have a choice really.

GrandpaPants posted:

That Wicker Man 4k looks gorgeous. I'm not even talking about the quality of the movie, the packaging is really pretty.

Is this how I get into steelbooks???

You guys made me go look and it is not available at my Best Buy and now I am mildly sad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea it's a total crapshoot with them, that's why I was surprised to see it on the shelf. Like, my local Best Buy never got any copies of The Exorcist but somehow they ended up getting 3 copies of The Wicker Man. Who knows how these decisions are made.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Oppenheimer 4K steelbook is still up for preorder at Best Buy. Going out with a bang heh

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I pre-ordered the Steelbook at what apparently was the last possible hour. I've never seen it but the art was too nice.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Picked up The Trial, but I have to ask...does anyone know why so many Criterion 4Ks are lacking HDR or Dolby Vision? Pretty much most mainstream discs have one or both, but a lot of high-profile Criterions lack it.

Out of 56 4K releases so far (released and announced), most are Dolby Vision, but four are regular HDR and 12 are SDR. Technically, The Virgin Suicides is SDR with HDR enabled only to use the expanded color space. Wall-E is also the only release so far with both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. The French UHDs for The Rules of the Game and The Trial have black crush issues apparently, so that's likely why Criterion went for SDR. There's also three brand new films where the filmmakers opted for SDR only (Triangle of Sadness, Sound of Metal, and Moonage Daydream). Likewise, half of the SDR releases were director-approved. I know that some filmmakers aren't big on HDR - Rian Johnson lets his films have HDR enabled, but like The Virgin Suicides, just for expanded color. IIRC, both Paul Thomas Anderson and Barry Sonnenfeld weren't happy with how HDR looked on early UHD releases (which is why Phantom Thread was initially delayed a bit).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ugh yeah that Steelbook is pretty sweet.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I need Bottoms to get a good physical already.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Basebf555 posted:

I assume that either the discs won't be reliable by then, or there won't be a player on the market anymore to buy, and/or new formats will have come in that will have make my collection mostly obsolete. I've been enjoying my blu ray collection for about 10 years now, and I expect to get another 10 years or so out of them but anything more than that will be icing on the cake in my mind.

Not being too fussy about actual specific format (DVD vs Blu-ray vs UHD) I'd expect the actual disks to last a long time unless they're exposed to the elements - my oldest DVD is from 1999, embarrassingly it's "Wild Wild West" starring Will Smith, and it still works fine, along with all the others I got around then. They're made like vinyl, e.g. very cheaply pressed with a metal master versus the more expensive duplication required for cassettes, so the only way to really destroy the data is to smash them. Of course, it's still a pain if you lose the silver surface - my dad once started marking all his property with a UV ink pen, just writing his name and address. He got through like half his CD collection writing his details on the disks before he got to Paul Simon's Graceland, and the ink from the pen just completely dissolved all the silver coating. Apparently on that specific disk, it was prone to the solvent in the pen.

You're right about the drives though, we should be hoarding those.

I got intense FOMO for the Criterion sale and bought A Hard Day's Night, Being John Malkovich, Tootsie and Local Hero. Should have probably got Solaris too but it's too late now. I had it and a bunch more in my basket but didn't want to cross a line and removed them and now I have remorse.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve seen disk rot once, maybe. It’s one of the DVDs from Alpha Protocol, and it failed to install multiple times from that disc.

Every other piece of optical media I have continues to work fine so far as I know.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My concern isn't so much about disc rot as much as that I'm a big rewatcher of my movies, I watch them all the time. So the process of taking them out of the case, playing them, taking them out of the player, back in the case and repeat, there's some inherent risk in doing that over and over again for 15 or 20 years especially with UHDs which are more sensitive to minor damage.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

My concern isn't so much about disc rot as much as that I'm a big rewatcher of my movies, I watch them all the time. So the process of taking them out of the case, playing them, taking them out of the player, back in the case and repeat, there's some inherent risk in doing that over and over again for 15 or 20 years especially with UHDs which are more sensitive to minor damage.

I've looked at Blu-ray changers to get something easy for binging shows on disc - I've never taken the leap, as blu-ray changers are VERY expensive, and all second hand at this point.
Not necessarily a perfect solution, especially since I'd be stunned if there were any 4k ones in the world, but it would certainly be a road worth pursuing for you blu-ray discs.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Got the Oppenheimer steel book. Pretty stoked for one of the last Best Buy exclusives.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
The only "disc rot" or whatever I've ever encountered is a couple Gundam Wing series DVDs and the very first Blu-ray of American Psycho. I don't see any "rot" physically, but none of them will play on any device I have. Outside of those I've never had an issue.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

LionArcher posted:

Got the Oppenheimer steel book. Pretty stoked for one of the last Best Buy exclusives.

Went to go check this out and apparently the Lawrence of Arabia 4K Steelbook was in stock and I bought it for 30 bucks! Waiting for them to cancel the order as I've been wanting this forever.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I used to have this lovely habit of leaving whatever game CDs I’d been playing recently in a stack on top of the tower. Surprisingly I don’t know of any that took enough damage to become unreadable.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yeah my cd's took a beating in middle school, but I recently went through my entire collection and re-ripped everything in FLAC/320 and it all sounds great still. No issues with anything I've had since I was 11-12 (so like 25 years now).

all spread across burnt cd demos/official releases and bootlegs.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Went to go check this out and apparently the Lawrence of Arabia 4K Steelbook was in stock and I bought it for 30 bucks! Waiting for them to cancel the order as I've been wanting this forever.

Nope. Looks totally valid. You’ll get your steelbook short of shenanigans.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I literally checked the Oppenheimer steelbook availability in the UK last night and there was no sign of it, but checking this evening I see it was announced a few hours later and it's already sold out goddamnit

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I was able to completely rip without issues a CD I got from a magazine in 2004 or so, which was nice because the music from it wasn't readily available online, and that was after it got all scratched up. I'm thankful considering how tough it was to play in regular CD players.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that sold out quickly. i have a copy but i wish i had only spent the $30!

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Egbert Souse posted:

Out of 56 4K releases so far (released and announced), most are Dolby Vision, but four are regular HDR and 12 are SDR. Technically, The Virgin Suicides is SDR with HDR enabled only to use the expanded color space. Wall-E is also the only release so far with both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. The French UHDs for The Rules of the Game and The Trial have black crush issues apparently, so that's likely why Criterion went for SDR. There's also three brand new films where the filmmakers opted for SDR only (Triangle of Sadness, Sound of Metal, and Moonage Daydream). Likewise, half of the SDR releases were director-approved. I know that some filmmakers aren't big on HDR - Rian Johnson lets his films have HDR enabled, but like The Virgin Suicides, just for expanded color. IIRC, both Paul Thomas Anderson and Barry Sonnenfeld weren't happy with how HDR looked on early UHD releases (which is why Phantom Thread was initially delayed a bit).

Yeah, I don't think I've seen any of their b/w movies having HDR of any kind. I've seen some amazing looking discs that advertise HDR, but I have no idea if that has more to do with the resolution or the compression of if HDR actually matters a lot with digitized black and white cinematography. It would be tough to do an apples-ish to apples-ish comparison with HDR and non-HDR b/w discs.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Pigma_Micron posted:

Yeah, I don't think I've seen any of their b/w movies having HDR of any kind. I've seen some amazing looking discs that advertise HDR, but I have no idea if that has more to do with the resolution or the compression of if HDR actually matters a lot with digitized black and white cinematography. It would be tough to do an apples-ish to apples-ish comparison with HDR and non-HDR b/w discs.

Citizen Kane does, thankfully. But yeah B&W with HDR is wonderful. Another big omission to me was no HDR on In the Mood for Love 4K (WKW Oops All Green Edition or not).

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake
I have about 15 music CDs from the mid to late 1980s that still play perfectly fine. I think disc rot is way more dependent on the quality of the manufacturer than age necessarily.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pigma_Micron posted:

One thing I realized is that every single UHD from a nitrate era film restored from nitrate elements has at least HDR regardless of the studio. Seems like HDR is better for nitrate, which makes sense as the black levels tend to be quite inky.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

You're all terrible influences. I saw the last copy of that Wicker Man steelbook at my local Best Buy and bought it along with a Mothra Blu-Ray steelbook. The only thing stopping me from also getting the great-looking M3GAN steelbook was that I already own a Blu-Ray version, and the case and 4K didn't tip me over the edge enough to double-dip. :ohdear:

I hope we get a good Bottoms release, and the American Graffiti 4K that releases next month is a must, but I have to pump the brakes!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Did VS ever launch their new adult films website?

pwn
May 27, 2004

LionArcher posted:

Did VS ever launch their new adult films website?

Yes!

https://melusine.com/

Do i actually have to warn that it's nws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

You're all terrible influences. I saw the last copy of that Wicker Man steelbook at my local Best Buy and bought it along with a Mothra Blu-Ray steelbook. The only thing stopping me from also getting the great-looking M3GAN steelbook was that I already own a Blu-Ray version, and the case and 4K didn't tip me over the edge enough to double-dip. :ohdear:

I hope we get a good Bottoms release, and the American Graffiti 4K that releases next month is a must, but I have to pump the brakes!

Yeah I got the Wicker Man steelbook because of this thread too. Only 22 bucks for a 4k steelbook.

Criterion flash sale haul:

Marseille Trilogy (anyone seen this? It looks wonderful)
Le Samouraï
Cul-de-sac