Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Yeah being fair this sequence would probably fit into the earlier takes on Annie's Forest adventures. Though one might argue the problem then is this doesn't really reveal anything we don't already know about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Dog Kisser posted:

I do think at this point part of the problem is that a lot of the goodwill the comic has has burned away, so while what's happening now would have been totally fine earlier in the comic (kind of meandering, but knowing GC it'll be worth it once we pay of!) at this point everything the comic does rubs people the wrong way (why are they walking in circles trying to solve a mystery that's not what Gunnerkrigg is about!)

I'm not even defending it, you just see this sort of thing all the time when people just aren't really enjoying something they used to really like and then everything about it becomes Bad instead of just sort of boring

Agreed, mostly. But it's like if you used to push a button and a treat popped out every time for a long while, but now you keep getting an electric shock instead, you sort of expect the shock, but maybe you still sort of hope for the treat because you know it's possible. Some people stopped pushing the button, some of us keep pushing because the shock isn't that bad and the treats were pretty good!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Twenty Four posted:

Agreed, mostly. But it's like if you used to push a button and a treat popped out every time for a long while, but now you keep getting an electric shock instead, you sort of expect the shock, but maybe you still sort of hope for the treat because you know it's possible. Some people stopped pushing the button, some of us keep pushing because the shock isn't that bad and the treats were pretty good!

You forgot the group that's going "Come on, this machine isn't even giving me a good shock anymore! Make me feel something!"

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

You forgot the group that's going "Come on, this machine isn't even giving me a good shock anymore! Make me feel something!"

Hah, yeah. For the record lump me in with the "I'm gonna keep pushing this because I wanna know what happens either way" group, for better or worse.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Interesting tangent fact, the average person can handle roughly 15 minutes of boredom(or some other relatively short period, I don't remember the exact number) before they will intentionally press a button that does nothing but deliver a painful shock, because the painful shock is preferable to spending that long alone with nothing but their thoughts to keep them occupied.

Not sure of its relevance, just thought it was interesting.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I mean, I’d be kinda curious about how the shock feels. It’s not every day you get to be cattle prodded

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

GlyphGryph posted:

Interesting tangent fact, the average person can handle roughly 15 minutes of boredom(or some other relatively short period, I don't remember the exact number) before they will intentionally press a button that does nothing but deliver a painful shock, because the painful shock is preferable to spending that long alone with nothing but their thoughts to keep them occupied.

Not sure of its relevance, just thought it was interesting.

My favorite part about that study is they had to exclude one dude from their results who basically wouldn't stop pressing the button during the whole time the experiment was being performed.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

My favorite part about that study is they had to exclude one dude from their results who basically wouldn't stop pressing the button during the whole time the experiment was being performed.

"dude, you're done"

"no, I wanna keep pressing it!" *presses button, gets shocked*

"sir, please come with me, that's enough"

"hang on..." *presses button*

*physically being dragged out, breaks free, runs back in and pushes it again* (zap)

lol

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I agree we would all be mostly fine with what's going on if the comic hadn't already tired us out with ogregriously bad pacing.

But IMO the comic has also lost a lot of respect for the intelligence of its audience. There were way less extraneous speech bubbles explaining to the viewer what is happening and how you should feel about it - a lot of wordless action, a lot of lingering glances left open to interpretation. I was trying to figure out why the pages bothered me and, personally speaking, it's largely because of that. In older Gunnerkrigg days, pages like these wouldn't have irritating "Renard/Annie explains what we're supposed to be seeing and feeling" bubbles, but rather leave it up to you, the viewer, to glean the very difficult and obscure message behind "Ysengrin's fantasy mindscape has a super powerful fire spirit for a companion that he trusts to protect the forest".

You can speculate aimlessly as to why - maybe he lost faith in his audience to interpret things after the Mind Cage didn't go as planned, or after everyone interpreted his Touching Lana Memorial Page as a terrifying rictus grin. Maybe it's because the comic is supposed to be wrapping up its mysteries so he'd rather leave nothing to the imagination. Maybe it's because the writing has gone downhill overall.

The other part of it, of course, is that a lot of this feels unearned. It's the comic doing a victory lap and going over its past components going "haha wasn't that cool and good, look at how our characters have grown and how confidently they can handle situations now" as it nears a climax, when the last however-many chapters have been anywhere from completely baffling to unnecessary to outright angering, and even worse, retroactively souring good parts of the comic (like Ysengrin and Annie's bond). Bringing up good poo poo that happened in the comic once just feels insulting at this point when you've spent so long undermining it.

This page would've been completely fine, good even, if you just removed the word bubble in the last panel.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

coolusername posted:

I mean, I’d be kinda curious about how the shock feels. It’s not every day you get to be cattle prodded

Yeah, I'm fine alone with my thoughts (Hell, I've been lying awake in bed in the dark for 4 hours, only just switched this on since it's time to get up) but I'd be curious about the shock.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Like, man, you can't have a chapter where Annie goes around being badass and cool when you've spent the last however-many chapters dressing her down and defanging her into a demure servant to the plot's needs, all because Kat said "you can do it!" so now she's very confident and sure of herself.

It doesn't feel like earned character growth. Even this page is like "man remember when Annie was really cool before the narrative decided she needed to be punished severely for the crime of being a rebellious teenager while every authority figure in her life profoundly failed her at every turn"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

do you think this is annie being badass and cool???????

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Patware posted:

do you think this is annie being badass and cool???????

Do I think so? No.

Do I think that is what the narrative is trying to accomplish with all this aborted-tension poo poo like Annie calmly shepherding the New-people through a strange land, punting a Coyoteling, and acting super calm and confident because Kat told her so? Yes. I think this is supposed to be a moment where the author intends the reader to be going "wow, you go, Annie! Look how confident and competent our protagonist is as she navigates something with all the knowledge and powers she has now! These would've been obstacles before, but now Annie is so cool and powerful that she rolls right through them!"

Which isn't really working, of course. Largely because it's - as I said - thoroughly unearned, because the comic did spend time building Annie's capabilities and knowledge up, only to strip her of everything that made her what she is while multiple characters browbeat her for poo poo that wasn't even remotely justified.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

I was going to say that I'd keep slamming that button for the hell of it. Nice to know I'm not alone.

In college, I had huge gaps between classes so I'd take part in those kinds of studies to fill time. I got banned because I kept breaking the studies by finding gaps in the protocol.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Random Stranger posted:

I was going to say that I'd keep slamming that button for the hell of it. Nice to know I'm not alone.

In college, I had huge gaps between classes so I'd take part in those kinds of studies to fill time. I got banned because I kept breaking the studies by finding gaps in the protocol.

Banned?! They should've given you a raise for pointing out those kinds of issues :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

button georg

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
IIRC most people pressed it a couple of times at most. That dude pressed it like 200 times in 15 minutes.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 17, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah, I'm fine alone with my thoughts (Hell, I've been lying awake in bed in the dark for 4 hours, only just switched this on since it's time to get up) but I'd be curious about the shock.

One of the qualifiers to be in the study had to have been answering the pre-study question "I would not press the button myself in that situation" and "I would in fact pay real money to avoid receiving the electric shock such a button would give", so the 15 minute timer is purely for people who do not want that to happen and were willing to pay to prevent it just twenty minutes earlier. In that light, it makes sense why '200 presses' guy was disqualified, because you can tell he probably lied about it.

It was specifically about how people's views of pressing the button changed over a fairly brief period of boredom for people who started very opposed to ever pressing the button.

This is the study, for what its worth https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.1250830

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 17, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ysengrin likes order :dumb:

Next, we'll learn that Coyote is tricksome!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 18, 2023

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The closest thing I have to a feeling about this is we’re in the season 2 recap episode where they go over the premise of the show and basic characters for newcomers.

“Last season: a girl died! These are her friends! We are in a mindscape! I have powers and so does he. This is Zimmy, her brain is scary, but I can shoot cool lasers (that is my power). My friend Kat is good with computers. These are elves and they like trees. This is Ysengrim and he likes order.”

Except it’s meant to be a cool finale and not a skippable intro episode.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

when do we get to the boss rush

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
This is the boss rush.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

when do we get to the boss rush

Right after we get to the fireworks factory.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I'm not sure if it's new today, or if it was there earlier and I just missed it, but it looks like Tom found a new publisher (Dark Horse) for print editions of Gunnerkrigg Court. The announcement also says he's redoing the art for earlier chapters for the new print editions (with previews on Patreon). I wonder if that's been taking time away from the new pages, since he hasn't changed his web publishing schedule and he said in the past he would not redo the earlier art for exactly that reason.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he should not redo the art. they look absolutely cursed

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Kat looks fine but Annie looks squished lol

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

coolusername posted:

The closest thing I have to a feeling about this is we’re in the season 2 recap episode where they go over the premise of the show and basic characters for newcomers.

“Last season: a girl died! These are her friends! We are in a mindscape! I have powers and so does he. This is Zimmy, her brain is scary, but I can shoot cool lasers (that is my power). My friend Kat is good with computers. These are elves and they like trees. This is Ysengrim and he likes order.”

Except it’s meant to be a cool finale and not a skippable intro episode.

Or like the finale of Star Trek: The Next Generation season 2, where they find an excuse to reuse a bunch of footage because of the writer's strike.

Also I don't understand why Tom would redo the art for the Dark Horse reissues, the early GC art has a ton of charm and I always love seeing how an artist's style has evolved. Football Head Annie is far superior to current Annie anyway!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah, Kat is fine but Annie's proportions are a bit off in a way that makes her look less like a child and more like a weird chibi. Hopefully it's just that one picture and the rest of it is okay.

I wonder if it's just the art he's redoing or if the panel layouts and dialogue will be retooled too.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I genuinely think the recent pages would be better if there was no dialogue

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I noticed due to people talking about new pages I hadn't seen that I stopped getting RSS updates for this comic a week ago. It looks like the url changed or something. The 11k followers on feedly are on the old RSS and the new one has... 250 or so.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rexxed posted:

I noticed due to people talking about new pages I hadn't seen that I stopped getting RSS updates for this comic a week ago. It looks like the url changed or something. The 11k followers on feedly are on the old RSS and the new one has... 250 or so.

I'm more surprised that 250 actual people still actively update their RSS feeds.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Wandering around while nothing happens. This would be great after a climax or before for building suspense. But we're too confused and bored to appreciate it now that the story telling has taken a dive.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Let's see if Annie dies on the bridge this time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Haven't checked in this week.

*checks in*

OK see you guys next Friday

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh god please let this issue end with Annie crossing the bridge while reverting to her issue 1 form, and the last page is the first page of the series. Just end the series with a "The End. No Moral" ouroboros ending.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I kinda miss the Football Head art style tbh

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Wait, why is this "familiar" to the robot people? Prior to Loup closing the canyon, nobody from the court was allowed on the bridge (except by special permission of course). The robots wouldn't have any special memory of this bridge (except for Robot obviously), and most of them would never have even seen it in their natural working lives.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

DontMockMySmock posted:

Wait, why is this "familiar" to the robot people? Prior to Loup closing the canyon, nobody from the court was allowed on the bridge (except by special permission of course). The robots wouldn't have any special memory of this bridge (except for Robot obviously), and most of them would never have even seen it in their natural working lives.

Their COVID vaccines allowed them to connect to the local 5G tower that only covers the court

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Mr.Radar posted:

I wonder if that's been taking time away from the new pages, since he hasn't changed his web publishing schedule and he said in the past he would not redo the earlier art for exactly that reason.

I wondered this as well. Anytime someone links a page from a few years or more back, the art is noticeably better imo. The old art is generally more expressive and dynamic.

Fecha posted:

I genuinely think the recent pages would be better if there was no dialogue

Absolutely. With Annie and Renard explaining everything, there's no mystique, which it feels like these pages are trying to convey. Legit shocked one of them didn't say, "The bridge isn't supposed to be here..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

(She looks nothing like Zimmy)