Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Boxturret posted:

I ride the bus fairly regularly and luckily I haven't really been approached by anyone

your gooniness is offputting, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Boxturret posted:

i love these

:mad:

cheating on how again

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

how long until Brian Butterfield starts up a crypto bank

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JAnon posted:

how long until Brian Butterfield starts up a crypto bank

He already sells buttcoins!

BUY NOW!
https://brianbutterfield.limitedrun.com/store

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

wowzer! I'll take 5,00!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Trillhouse posted:

i remember people saying "how is he not arrested if he's saying poo poo like that" and the response being "this will show up in the trial" and what do you know?

also lol at sam's lawyer trying to not get it admitted as evidence because "These are prejudicial. He thought the person was a friend." 1. Journalists are never your friend. 2. i guess you gotta try.

Absolutely the best thing introduced as evidence at a crypto trial since Mycrimes.txt

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Beeftweeter posted:

not terribly surprised they don't have a korean translation lol

i'd put the over/under at uhh 0/0 though. north koreans are all about juche, joseon dynasty nostalgia is very much a south korean thing

north korea calls itself "chosen". chosen soren is a front for koreans in japan to funnel money to noko. they call their idea of a "unified korea" "chosen".

while you're right that the Kims don't give a gently caress about chosen dynasty nostalgia, the concept of "chosen" is in their collective minds.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i was just poking around that site since i was showing it to my wife (she is a big fan of the real joseon) and lol i didn't see their "ministers" before: https://www.joseon.com/l/en-US/government/ministries-of-chosen

DarkSol posted:

north korea calls itself "chosen". chosen soren is a front for koreans in japan to funnel money to noko. they call their idea of a "unified korea" "chosen".

while you're right that the Kims don't give a gently caress about chosen dynasty nostalgia, the concept of "chosen" is in their collective minds.

yeah that's true. i was just saying that most people the north probably wouldn't view the dynasty in the same (mostly positive) light as most people in the south would since their country is basically supposed to be a revolutionary answer to it

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 19, 2023

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

https://x.com/innercitypress/status/1714722056464461946?s=20

Edit:
https://x.com/innercitypress/status/1714731217227047251?s=20
finally, one of the most infuriating messages from SBF after the collapse get admitted to evidence. from his interview with Kelsey Piper of Vox

i remember people saying "how is he not arrested if he's saying poo poo like that" and the response being "this will show up in the trial" and what do you know?

also lol at sam's lawyer trying to not get it admitted as evidence because "These are prejudicial. He thought the person was a friend." 1. Journalists are never your friend. 2. i guess you gotta try.

i don't get what he's saying here.

these are hilarious though

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Beeftweeter posted:

i was just poking around that site since i was showing it to my wife (she is a big fan of the real joseon) and lol i didn't see their "ministers" before: https://www.joseon.com/l/en-US/government/ministries-of-chosen

yeah that's true. i was just saying that most people the north probably wouldn't view the dynasty in the same (mostly positive) light as most people in the south would since their country is basically supposed to be a revolutionary answer to it

good point. i hadn't considered that aspect.

i was initially worried that this joseon group was the cheollima civil defense or free joseon... because i wouldn't attach my pro-democracy north korean activist group to anything related to buttcoin.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
lol at their national accounts being roger verified

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

(Holding a smoking gun and standing next to a corpse) Honestly just, gently caress bulletproof vests man. They don’t protect anyone. :( I mean, look at this poor guy.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

CNBC dropped a story on the arrest of the guy who stole 50k Bitcoin from silk road. It's a wild ride and worth a read: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/17/crypto911.html

quote:

Zhong’s attorney, Michael Bachner, says the theft never actually damaged the U.S. government.

“The government has certainly not been hurt by Jimmy’s conduct whatsoever,” Bachner told CNBC. “If Jimmy had not stolen the coins and the government had in fact seized them from [Silk Road operator Ross Ulbricht] they would have sold them two years later in 2014 as they did with other coins.”

At that point, the government “would have gotten $320 a coin or made somewhere about $14 million,” Bachner said. “Now, as a result of Jimmy having them, the government has gotten a $3 billion profit.”
:shuckyes:

ironically the guy who stole 150 bitcoins from jimmy didn't harm the government either but jimmy still called the cops on him

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i cannot wait for sam to take the stand

his lawyer is going to be alternating between holding up a giant placard that just says "FIFTH" and burying his head in his hands

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

shackleford posted:

:shuckyes:

ironically the guy who stole 150 bitcoins from jimmy didn't harm the government either but jimmy still called the cops on him

i watched their video.

apparently they offered the victims of the theft at silk road a chance to get compensation after they confiscated jimmy’s bitcoin. nobody took them up on their offer for some reason.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Nemo2342 posted:

Absolutely the best thing introduced as evidence at a crypto trial since Mycrimes.txt

I hate how

I hate that I know the real filename was something innocuous like logfile.txt or whatever. This is a case study of appropriate times to rewrite history.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1714802840865046805#m

The judge is really enjoying himself on this one

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

kalensc posted:

I hate how

I hate that I know the real filename was something innocuous like logfile.txt or whatever. This is a case study of appropriate times to rewrite history.

i'm sure that sammy has a mycrimes.txt somewhere. maybe that's what he's been spending all his time in court writing

...!
Oct 5, 2003

kalensc posted:

I hate how

:mods:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

...! posted:

your gooniness is offputting, duh

the tattoo artist said my full face get out frog tattoo was fun and inviting though:smith:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

the tattoo artist said my full face get out frog tattoo was fun and inviting though:smith:

:frogout:

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

are these rear end pennies

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao

"yes he said he was guilty, but only at a personal level"

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I put it to you that when my client entered a plea of guilty, and when he said he felt guilty, what he really meant was

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

fisting by many posted:

i cannot wait for sam to take the stand

his lawyer is going to be alternating between holding up a giant placard that just says "FIFTH" and burying his head in his hands
turning a big dial taht says "crimes" on it and constantly looking back at the jury for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

SubG posted:

turning a big dial taht says "crimes" on it and constantly looking back at the jury for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Sam? You can turn the dial the other way sometimes if you want. Sam. Sam!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But seriously why the gently caress did Sam's parents let him go to trial? Unlike their spawn they should have known better

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

they genuinely think that crime isn't real

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

as a kid he discussed ethics over dinner with them. would someone who did that commit crime?

Another one in the column for "dont treat your kids like your loving stanford philosophy friends - be a parent to them"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

trucutru posted:

But seriously why the gently caress did Sam's parents let him go to trial? Unlike their spawn they should have known better

The government didn't offer him a deal, because he's the main target. If you're not getting anything out of pleading guilty you might as well roll the dice on a jury trial (if you can afford it).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

trucutru posted:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

they genuinely think that crime isn't real

this is not a joke btw

The philosophy of personal responsibility has ruined criminal justice and economic policy. It’s time to move past blame.

quote:

I doubt there will be a groundswell of support any time soon for the view that others may not, after all, be to blame for the mess they (and we) are in. But the fact that we have gotten so little in return for our blame mongering at least opens up the possibility that people would be receptive to a new approach. The next time something goes terribly wrong, suppose that instead of immediately asking who is to blame, we were to ask: How can we fix this problem?

Barbara H. Fried
June 28, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

We fix this problem by jailing your family and friends, barb

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i've thought really hard about ethics, and the most ethical thing I can do while i'm alive is lie, cheat and steal and basically be a selfish rear end in a top hat. because i'm totally going leave enough to charity when i die that i will lift billions of people out of poverty
unless my son also believes in being a selfish rear end in a top hat and hoards wealth until he dies in which he will lift trillions of people out of poverty

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"you are not allowed to enter this website if you are a member of law enforcement and if you do you may not use any information contained therein", check mate narcs!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

i would have been more receptive to these ideas before i learned that putting them into practice makes sbf

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
weirdly i find Free Ross's ambiguously racist mom more sympathetic than sam's "actually, 'crime' is the wrong way to think about things and therefore my son did nothing wrong" mom

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
like, she's bad but she's bad in an understandable way. whereas barbara bankman-fried is just like, yeah our son is the child of privilege through and through and you should just let him have everything he took

idk. i'm drunk rn and shouldn't be posting these half baked thoughts

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
i think that even before that, the baseline of "everyone knows that there's systemic reasons for underserved communities to have judicial punishment applied to them unfairly so there's absolutely no ethical or moral difference between that and white collar crime from people who have never known a moment of hardship in their lives" is just incredible (ly abhorrent)

i hope both sam's parents get sucked into his crime vortex and are never heard from again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i think that even before that, the baseline of "everyone knows that there's systemic reasons for underserved communities to have judicial punishment applied to them unfairly so there's absolutely no ethical or moral difference between that and white collar crime from people who have never known a moment of hardship in their lives" is just incredible (ly abhorrent)

This is more or less how I feel. They seem to start with a lot of valid points about how a culture of "personal responsibility" turns into holding individuals morally culpable for systemic failings, but then somewhere they lose the plot and rather than calling for a dismantling of systems of privilege their personal privilege becomes justification for their actions.