Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

AlternateAccount posted:

I really feel like the Roll Fizzlebeef could outrun the Blast Hardcheese if they’d just optimize their drivers better, since the Stump Beefknob is impossible to find on store shelves.

Titanium Saviour Hobgoblin or gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
If you don’t undress sexy elf lady you’re not using all your geforce.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Desert Bus posted:

I remember there being some early graphic card demo you could mod so it would remove the clothes from the sexy elf lady.

I think it was either dusk or dawn, but i don't remember exactly which one had the smut mod.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Desert Bus posted:

I remember there being some early graphic card demo you could mod so it would remove the clothes from the sexy elf lady.

Did the number of polygons go down or up when this occurred

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SlowBloke posted:

I think it was either dusk or dawn, but i don't remember exactly which one had the smut mod.
Oh wow, I have not thought about THAT Dawn in, uhhh, yeah, 20 years? I remember being absolutely convinced there was no way computer graphics would ever actually look as good as that picture of her on the box

Looking at the demo now it feels like hair still does not look as good honestly

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gotta buy the GT for Good Times

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
:NSW:

https://nudepatch.net/nvidia-demo-a-new-dawn-nude/

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Gonz posted:

The box art for 90’s GPUs was always totally over the top.

There’d be some random Voodoo2 card that would have a VR werewolf Pope on the front of it, shooting lightning bolts out of a staff at F-16’s.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Son of a bitch, finally a good use for that generative nonsense.

------------

Unrelated, mercifully: some powerful posting stations:

Apollo/Domain workstations, from what I understand.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ergonomics.png

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

These are 100% images that Diamond or ATI would’ve slapped on packaging.

Included inside is an Interplay demo sampler disc and 30 free days of Gamespy Premium!

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Reminds me that Nvidia had a benchmark in the 2000s that featured some fairy girl in a see through top I think.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Edit, quote. What's the difference?

emSparkly has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Oct 19, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trabant posted:

Apollo/Domain workstations, from what I understand.
Yup! I documented those (and used one, ofc).
Here's what the whole ad page looks like:

Note "the new PRISM architecture": that was one of the first workstations to have a RISC chip instead of a 68K series. When HP bought Apollo, they did it solely to get ahold of the PRISM team. Their work at HP (with a lot of other people!) became HP's PA-RISC processor.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Wondering how much faster my iPhone is than that beast.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dick Trauma posted:

Wondering how much faster my iPhone is than that beast.
Let's just say we weren't doing real-time animation. Early in the company's history (at least before my time) Apollo made a short animated video, I think for some conference or other, by the simple hack of using every single workstation in the company during off hours.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Note "the new PRISM architecture": that was one of the first workstations to have a RISC chip instead of a 68K series. When HP bought Apollo, they did it solely to get ahold of the PRISM team. Their work at HP (with a lot of other people!) became HP's PA-RISC processor.

Reminds me of the Sony GSCube prototype, which was basically 16 PS2s slapped together into a workstation. Impressive at the time, but never made it into production.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yup! I documented those (and used one, ofc).
Here's what the whole ad page looks like:

Wonder what the table is. Looks very almost-Artek.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

emSparkly posted:

Reminds me that Nvidia had a benchmark in the 2000s that featured some fairy girl in a see through top I think.
That was "Dawn" which came out in 2003 to showcase the then new FX cards. They made an updated version called A New Dawn in 2012 when the GTX 600 series released.

And yes there were nude patches for both.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The nerds, they horny.
Also:

Hello new role play setting, I wasn't even aware I was searching.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Never realized until just now that Powerwolf album covers are basically just video card box art.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

At least RAM companies are keeping the naming traditions alive - the G.Skill Trident Z Royal Elite is clearly better than the Kingston Fury Renegade Pro and Corsair Dominator Titanium.

Shame their box art is boring.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Love the idea of marketing an interchangeable storage medium that way. Slapping names like OMEGA VIPER XFORCE III on what amounts to a cup

Like Uncle Rico selling Tupperware door to door

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Data Graham posted:

Love the idea of marketing an interchangeable storage medium that way. Slapping names like OMEGA VIPER XFORCE III on what amounts to a cup

Like Uncle Rico selling Tupperware door to door

It helps - slightly - that those are the very top end, capable of speeds and timings way beyond the JEDEC specs. But you're not wrong.

Also, those Tridents are wild looking - which, again, is like selling the most blinged out kitchen drawers known to man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q8dDLkfEtk

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Did they ever do RAM with rendered ladies on the heat spreader to complete the look

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Powered Descent posted:

ergonomics.png

Speaking of, I think that growing up in the 80's and 90's, everyone knew SOME family (or maybe you were that family>) that had one of these kneeling chairs plopped in front of their OG Macintosh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I was just remembering those the other day. Lisa Simpson had one

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of, I think that growing up in the 80's and 90's, everyone knew SOME family (or maybe you were that family>) that had one of these kneeling chairs plopped in front of their OG Macintosh:

Looking at that makes my knees hurt.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have a friend who uses one but she's also a well trained pianist and it works for her cause of that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We had one of those with wheels when I was a kid and it was annoying as hell to sit on. I can only assume they were designed to force you to get off the computer after a while to save your knees. Like one of those slanted toilets to prevent people from sitting on them for too long.

Desert Bus posted:

I have a friend who uses one but she's also a well trained pianist and it works for her cause of that.

How does she work the piano pedals

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

How does she work the piano pedals

OH no, she uses one FOR WORK. Normal piano bench but she's had years of training to sit perfectly straight on that so the knee chair works.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

first you have to load into DOS

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

first you have to load into DOS

Thank God I own this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hah, the other tech at the repair shop I worked at in the early 2000s brought a chair like this and a giant yoga ball in to sit on and traded off between the two. When working at his station, I was actually surprised how well both worked for me, given he was short and wirey and I was tall and bulky.

He was libertarian as gently caress.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Those chairs are very comfortable if you get an adjustable one or just luck out on being the right size. Very little of your weight is supported by your knees if it's adjusted right. I like them because my feet usually don't reach the floor when I sit in a regular office chair at the right height for the desk so I have to choose between dealing with my legs falling asleep or sitting with my feet up on the seat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wonder what the table is. Looks very almost-Artek.
It's definitely not what we had in the office, I can tell you that much. Although kneeling chairs (with wheels) were an option.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gonz posted:

The box art for 90’s GPUs was always totally over the top.

There’d be some random Voodoo2 card that would have a VR werewolf Pope on the front of it, shooting lightning bolts out of a staff at F-16’s.

Do not break my mind canon please.

In my head, Voodoo cards only came in boxes with the Dark Man Group; a fork of the Blue Man Group (BMG) who decide on their own colors and style against the standards set by the Blue Man Group.

Unlike those S3/Nvidia/ATIAMD clowns who hired 3d Studio Max failures for their box art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

Thank God I own this:

This was 13 year old me's favourite computer book. 30 years later I see it has the same author!