Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

psydude posted:

IDF is saying the propellant is what caused the explosion. Some of the failed Russian S-300 launches caused fairly big explosions, so I suppose it's plausible.

s-300s are not small by any means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

psydude posted:

IDF is saying the propellant is what caused the explosion. Some of the failed Russian S-300 launches caused fairly big explosions, so I suppose it's plausible.

Qassams and PIJ's rockets don't really have the kind of propellant that'd cook off like that, as far as I'm aware. This is suppose to be a Hamas rocket that 'misfired', though, so I have no idea how it'd cause that kind of damage. Qassams are piddly.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 18, 2023

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Some of the rockets that Hamas fired on the first day managed to reach north of Tel-Aviv. One would think that they would have already used their longer range stuff early on, but is it possible that something with that kind of range could do the job?

Israel tends to hand-wave away collateral damage, so the degree to which they're pushing back on this makes me think they're either right or they realize that they really hosed up.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

psydude posted:

Some of the rockets that Hamas fired on the first day managed to reach north of Tel-Aviv. One would think that they would have already used their longer range stuff early on, but is it possible that something with that kind of range could do the job?

Israel tends to hand-wave away collateral damage, so the degree to which they're pushing back on this makes me think they're either right or they realize that they really hosed up.

I imagine it didn't help that one of their government official guys crowed how awesome it was that they did it. I think Israel's big issue is actually how BAD this would be for them. Like they can hand-wave away collateral damage, but this was such a big death toll from a single hit and so publicly shouted about that even they can't just ignore it.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
So either the country that dropped several thousand bombs on Gaza in the last few weeks hit a hospital, or Hamas somehow developed a heretofore unknown rocket, one much more powerful than we have ever seen them use, and dropped it on themselves.

One of those options is much more plausible than the other.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1714526575058645290

Allegedly, this is footage from the same site from both Israel and Hamas. This doesn't necessarily absolve Israel of culpability, but that is NOT the kind of damage you see from the ordnance we've seen Israel employ so far. That's not bomb damage.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
That 500 dead number might be a bit inflated.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1714526575058645290

Allegedly, this is footage from the same site from both Israel and Hamas. This doesn't necessarily absolve Israel of culpability, but that is NOT the kind of damage you see from the ordnance we've seen Israel employ so far. That's not bomb damage.

What DOES fit that is the question.

Borscht posted:

That 500 dead number might be a bit inflated.

I think we knew that for a while.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It seems to fit a theory that something blew up the oxygen tanks outside the building causing a massive fire ball. That still raises the question of what could have blown them up though

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kchama posted:

What DOES fit that is the question.

I'm going to keep on doing what I've been doing, which is understand that both sides have demonstrated a callous disregard for civilian casualties and a willingness to spin any narrative out of whole cloth, and not jump to conclusions. That I'm willing to accept those images as possibly/probably true is that both sides have published what strongly seem to be different angles of the same location, each using that image to their own end. I'm not going to accept any pro-Israeli or pro-Hamas outlet at face value.

I COULD scream at a stranger about what I think is true, but instead I'm going to await more evidence and maybe eventually draw a conclusion.

RandomPauI posted:

It seems to fit a theory that something blew up the oxygen tanks outside the building causing a massive fire ball. That still raises the question of what could have blown them up though

loving anything, to include a guy taking a smoke break if conditions are right. Oxygen tanks are great at fireballing or contributing mightily to fireballs. As far as I'm concerned, these photos only place a constraint on the upper limit of what could have caused the explosion/conflagration (i.e. definitely not a JDAM), not on who did it.

edit: Another photo, possibly of an impact crater. Still not a JDAM. Maybe a mortar or small rocket? Again, this doesn't prove a drat thing. It's not like how there were photos of an ATACMS core in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1714587746612740278

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 18, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I'm going to keep on doing what I've been doing, which is understand that both sides have demonstrated a callous disregard for civilian casualties and a willingness to spin any narrative out of whole cloth, and not jump to conclusions. That I'm willing to accept those images as possibly/probably true is that both sides have published what strongly seem to be different angles of the same location, each using that image to their own end. I'm not going to accept any pro-Israeli or pro-Hamas outlet at face value.

I COULD scream at a stranger about what I think is true, but instead I'm going to await more evidence and maybe eventually draw a conclusion.

Yeah I don't have any certainty either way. I still think by default Israel is more likely to have done it, but accidents do happen. I just haven't seen anything convincing in any direction.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Depending on who you ask either the hospital is a pile of rubble with 500 bodies inside, or some cars in the parking lot got lightly bbq'ed. Seems like this should be something that could be figured out in a territory the size of Manhattan that has literally the whole world watching it right now.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

mrmcd posted:

Depending on who you ask either the hospital is a pile of rubble with 500 bodies inside, or some cars in the parking lot got lightly bbq'ed. Seems like this should be something that could be figured out in a territory the size of Manhattan that has literally the whole world watching it right now.

https://x.com/Nrg8000/status/1714535497958334678?s=20

OSINTers are one of the reasons I still watch my twitter feed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://x.com/Nrg8000/status/1714535497958334678?s=20

OSINTers are one of the reasons I still watch my twitter feed.

I've found that even OSINT'ers need to be taken with a bucketful of salt in this case, even ones that have been doing very reliable and well-researched work on other conflicts have jumped headfirst into ideologically motivated full support for extremely poorly sourced poo poo coming out of this conflict. So even if it's your favourite poster's take, I'd let any of it cook for a week before coming to a conclusion.

This one seems legit, but I remember that for most of yesterday even the most well-regarded OSINT'ers were reposting footage from years ago as evidence of one side or the other being right.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Yeah, propaganda houses have discovered it as a communications channel with the air of credibility.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Kchama posted:

The theory of someone making poo poo up.

Yeah, hence my "I'm still 95% convinced the IDF is behind it". I was just repeating the "explanation" I had seen explaining how one rocket caused an entire hospital to go up. Probably should have been more clear when I posted that. My bad.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
At a minimum, at least everyone isn't just taking the IDF's claims, or even America's claims, as the gospel truth without proof anymore. Possibly overcorrecting into giving too much credibility to organizations that are just Hamas but disguised behind an agency name, but beats the alternative.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Anyone who has been posting that one side or the other definitely did this needs to pause for a moment and reevaluate their biases. There are, imo, valid reasons for wanting to back one side or the other, and demonization is nearly obligatory if you have a side in this conflict. This isn't the Hamas thread or the IDF thread, though. Hopefully we can get a little more factual in here.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

mrmcd posted:

A.o.D. posted:

Anyone who has been posting that one side or the other definitely did this needs to pause for a moment and reevaluate their biases. There are, imo, valid reasons for wanting to back one side or the other, and demonization is nearly obligatory if you have a side in this conflict. This isn't the Hamas thread or the IDF thread, though. Hopefully we can get a little more factual in here.

People in here and the other Israel thread were all to ready to jump to a thousand fuckin conclusions without waiting for data, though. And now we have data and it doesn't support all the hare brained poo poo people came up with in the thread. :colbert:

Like I said, Israel has a bad reputation does not = any sort of answer to what happened. They might be at fault or they might not, but people should probably stop this poo poo. This thread has been the absolute worst for this I've ever seen. I could quote myself but holy poo poo did you guys go back and forth debating on generally minimal information.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Saw some video of the hospital parking lot (not NSFW, no blood or anything of the sort from the two videos I've seen). Just a whole bunch of torched cars and no big crater like you'd expect with a JDAM, and buildings with windows blown out.

I hope those casualty figures were highly inflated.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Like I said, Israel has a bad reputation does not = any sort of answer to what happened.

While I've been slower to jump to a conclusion (also if Israel did it or not, they are still directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of civilians and cutting water and humanitarian access to civilians in collective punishment), it did not help that a social media advisor to PM Netanyahu and a reserve IDF member posted this, in response to the incident:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I think this would kind of explain a lot of why this clusterfucked so much:

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1714641493338542155?t=mVWILK9te3UypSyDoZZUAw&s=19

IDF: wasn't us (could be true!)
Hamas: wasn't us (could also be true!)

As a reporter stated, Hamas doesn't have all of the hostages in Gaza right now. Hamas isn't the only terrorist group active in/around Gaza. So Hamas and the IDF both said it wasn't them, Hamas inflates the numbers because they think IDF did it, the Arab world gets pissed and cancels meetings with Biden, and it turns out it was an Islamic Jihad rocket instead.

Edit: good article on the whole deal, basically leading to the same result as most others - inconclusive, with the lack of a big crater being very fishy https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67144061

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 18, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PurpleXVI posted:

I've found that even OSINT'ers need to be taken with a bucketful of salt in this case, even ones that have been doing very reliable and well-researched work on other conflicts have jumped headfirst into ideologically motivated full support for extremely poorly sourced poo poo coming out of this conflict.

Ding ding ding.

There's a lot of people out there who are calling themselves OSINT wonks because they find and comment on images of events from social media. That's not at all what high quality OSINT is all about.

Stick to what is actually valuable from OSINT: write-ups that are thoroughly researched and with so much evidence that you really can't debate it. Anyone can give a gut reaction to a random post, but an actual honest to God researcher who is trying to convince the public of something is going to give a substantial report that, if researched right, leaves very little wiggle room for reinterpretation.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

There's a lot of people out there who are calling themselves OSINT wonks because they find and comment on images of events from social media. That's not at all what high quality OSINT is all about.

Yeah, be skeptical of aggregators. But at the same time, there's plenty of people who didn't just jump on the OSINT bandwagon recently, but did OSINT as far back as Syria. Following the Ukraine war should have given anyone the opportunity to learn who the most sober clear name security professionals on twitter are, and sticking to whom those repost gives you a measure of reliability.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
https://twitter.com/WHOoPt/status/1714713833359466702?t=krI0JdOFz8PSzYYcdXvVwg&s=19

Dang look at all these failed rocket attacks

E) for real though, there's your death toll confirmation.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 18, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regarding the hospital crater:

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/10/18/identifying-possible-crater-from-gaza-hospital-blast/

-There is indeed a crater
-Photography of that crater correctly geolocates to the right site
-It really doesn't look like a JDAM of any weight
-Just going off of video that can be found so far, Bellingcat counts two dozen visible bodies
-More research is needed

Also,

quote:

One of the images that [IDF Spokesperson] Hagari held up during the press conference to support the claim that there were no craters at the site shows what appears to be a crater in a location corresponding with the Instagram video. The IDF did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

:psyduck:

Edit vv it's worth pointing out that any speculation about what it could be is deliberately absent. My read: these authors tend to be circumspect like this when it's not clear what the ordinance could be. More footage needs to be found. Frustratingly, this takes time. Hopefully someone somewhere relatively nearby has an alley camera or pet monitor and notices the anomaly.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 18, 2023

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
JDAM's can be set to airburst FYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYApLv6kJnA

The crater size is hardly the smoking gun that it was a Hamas or IJ rocket misfire.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://vxtwitter.com/UN_News_Centre/status/1714649681521791305

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kill me now posted:

JDAM's can be set to airburst FYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYApLv6kJnA

The crater size is hardly the smoking gun that it was a Hamas or IJ rocket misfire.

The fact that the cars and surrounding buildings weren't completely shredded, however, is a mark against the cause being a JDAM.

So damned predictable.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i am perplexed where the idea that a jdam or a single specific type of palestinian rocket are the only two possibilities even came from

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

A.o.D. posted:

The fact that the cars and surrounding buildings weren't completely shredded, however, is a mark against the cause being a JDAM.

Ok, SDB or MLGB then. Its not like the IAF doesn't have a whole range of different sized ordinance. Its not GBU-31's all the way down

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This is a report on the hospital situation by the UK's most consistently rigorous and objective news broadcaster. In brief, they conclude that the IDF audio evidence is fake. The IDF explanation for the missile launch sites and trajectories is inconsistent and contradictory. The damage to the ground is not inconsistent with it being an IDF munition. That shitloads of people were there and did die. The IDF lie about murdering people all the time. And that there's no way to be sure who launched the weapon without independent investigation on the ground, which isn't happening any time soon.

Warning for a blurred out carpet of bodies in the aftermath.
https://www.channel4.com/news/who-was-behind-the-gaza-hospital-blast-visual-investigation

Edit: and here's a near repeat from tonight at a different hospital https://twitter.com/PalestineRCS/status/1714721700028293171

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 19, 2023

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Does the IDF still use DIME warheads? I heard about them mostly because of the wounds they cause; I haven't heard anything about the blast effects they leave behind.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i am perplexed where the idea that a jdam or a single specific type of palestinian rocket are the only two possibilities even came from

I'm impressed by how much some people are digging in on their preferred narrative.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/glcarlstrom/status/1714654108538310727

Remember Israeli bombed the Gaza Egypt border four times already and demanded Egypt let nothing in.

Here's a machine translation of Bibi's stuff

quote:

Office of the Prime Minister

In light of the resounding and essential American support to the war cause and US President Biden's request for basic humanitarian aid, the limited cabinet decided unanimously:

1. Israel will not allow humanitarian aid from its territory to Gaza while hostages are not returned

2. Israel demands that red cross be allowed to visit the hostages and is looking for international support to do so

3. In light of Biden's request, Israel will not interfere/stop humanitarian aid from Egypt as long as it is solely food, water, and medicine for the civilian population in southern Gaza or those evacuating there, and as long as the aid reaching Hamas will be thwarted

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That feels like Israel acceding to the US while trying to save face.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I'm curious to get the serviceman's opinion on this video. https://www.reddit.com/r/Palestine/comments/17bc7kw/dylan_griffith_a_us_army_veteran_debunks_idf_claim/ (Sorry I have no idea how to embed from Reddit, I'm pretty new to that site. If you have a better link I'll change it.) It doesn't seem to conflict with the impact site photos, which I do not think were available at the time of filming, If it was in fact an airburst munition. I guess specifically I want to know about his assertion that the audio evidence proves it was guided and that many soldiers deployed to Afghanistan/Iraq would recognize the difference between this and a rocket.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Per WSJ, a growing number of independent analysts are disputing the notion that it was an air strike. The US has stated flat out that it wasn't, and so far the US military has erred on the side of not commenting on what's happening. The air burst theory really feels like a reach here as well.

https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-ea...share_permalink

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

James Woods posted:

I'm curious to get the serviceman's opinion on this video. https://www.reddit.com/r/Palestine/comments/17bc7kw/dylan_griffith_a_us_army_veteran_debunks_idf_claim/ (Sorry I have no idea how to embed from Reddit, I'm pretty new to that site. If you have a better link I'll change it.) It doesn't seem to conflict with the impact site photos, which I do not think were available at the time of filming, If it was in fact an airburst munition. I guess specifically I want to know about his assertion that the audio evidence proves it was guided and that many soldiers deployed to Afghanistan/Iraq would recognize the difference between this and a rocket.

I can say that the noise before the impact threw me back to the 2nd Lebanon War, where I spent a lot of time dodging various incoming rockets and mortars courtesy of hezbollah. Obviously a crappy mobile phone recording won't really capture the full sound, but it sounded like a rocket motor to me :shrug:

e: also I'm kinda surprised by the way some posters here are trying to pin this on Israel. A) There are a lot of credible debunking breakdowns, including multiple angles of the failed rocket and the impact, and B) There are enough terrible things that we did do, no need to go to great lengths for that unfortunately...

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Don't Ask posted:

There are enough terrible things that we did do, no need to go to great lengths for that unfortunately...

It’s true that Israel has committed war crimes and engaged in illegal collective punishment of civilians, proudly, even without mention of the hospital. So if somehow we could know 100000% that Israel was not responsible for the hospital, you still end up with dozens of other Israeli attacks on medical facilities and healthcare workers, civilians, and cutting off good water and electricity to civilians and humanitarian medical and aid supply systems.