Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
They should make a game that entirely ditches the grand strategy map thing and entirely focuses on emergent, RNG, character skill-check based story and event roleplaying. Just lean into the character stuff from CK3 and make a visual novel or point and click adventure RPG (a la Disco Elysium) now that they've cut their teeth on it from CK2 and CK3. I'm not being entirely tongue in cheek with this - I think the popularity of CK3 suggests that there'd be a market for this kind of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Whoever owned Harebrained Inc. got a huge payday (which hopefully trickles down to the employees but who knows), Paradox probably took a smallish hit financially, the studio still exists as before but it's big IPs are now owned by Paradox so they'll be under the gun to invent something new quickly I would guess.
Ahh ok, that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.

Elias_Maluco posted:

CK3 Battletech DLC
If I had any talent AND free time I would have made a mod for CK2 because this is something I want in my life, badly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Make the sims but it's about running a medieval or fantasy castle and all the intrigue that involves.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Have HBS even released anything after battletech

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eimi posted:

Make the sims but it's about running a medieval or fantasy castle and all the intrigue that involves.

The Sims Medieval was pretty fun for a while

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ahundredbux posted:

Have HBS even released anything after battletech
"Lamplighters League" just came out like... less than a month ago.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

The Sims Medieval was pretty fun for a while

The Sims Medieval but good is a game I've wanted since I played the Sims Medieval.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

"Lamplighters League" just came out like... less than a month ago.

I see, I didn't know that was them

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CK3 all RP mode also kinda reminds me of the indy game A Legionary's Life that some of the ancient history people got into a few years ago. In short, it's a text adventure game where you have opportunities to make decisions, train, and prepare, but when History happens to you it happens hard and you get swept away in things.

A similar but more complex and multicentred narrative style would be interesting for CK RP

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

They should make a game that entirely ditches the grand strategy map thing and entirely focuses on emergent, RNG, character skill-check based story and event roleplaying. Just lean into the character stuff from CK3 and make a visual novel or point and click adventure RPG (a la Disco Elysium) now that they've cut their teeth on it from CK2 and CK3. I'm not being entirely tongue in cheek with this - I think the popularity of CK3 suggests that there'd be a market for this kind of game.

this is already Reigns

or Warsim: Realms of Aslona

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

HBS didn’t really own any meaningful IP right? Shadowrun and Battletech are owned by Microsoft, so Paradox isn’t really getting anything there. I guess the question might be if HBS still has the agreement with Microsoft to make games with those IPs or if that somehow was retained by Paradox. I assume not or it would’ve been mentioned.

Paradox owning Necropolis and Lamplighter’s League doesn’t seem super meaningful.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Paradox definitely doesn't own the Battletech IP, because HBS didn't own it either. Microsoft is still the ultimate owner of the IP for video games (and Topps owns the IP to the tabletop franchise itself afaik).

Paradox now owns the IP to the Battletech game released by HBS.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I have about 1000 hours in HOI4 and I've never listened to the music. It's just the type of game where I usually have some video playing in the background. Now I made the effort to listen to the music and it's quite good, even though I still prefer to listen to some video while playing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Every attempt by Paradox to do anything other than make Paradox-style games inevitably ends in failure.

The exceptions are the Cities/Age of/Surviving franchises which have the common factor of being run by a development studio that has an IP and has just been iterating on the same gameplay model for the last decade. At no time when Paradox tries to act like an actual publisher and tell people what project to do has it actually worked out.

https://twitter.com/mitchgit/status/1714685092705280285

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 18, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lobsterminator posted:

I have about 1000 hours in HOI4 and I've never listened to the music. It's just the type of game where I usually have some video playing in the background. Now I made the effort to listen to the music and it's quite good, even though I still prefer to listen to some video while playing.

I was yesterday years old when I learned that people listen to the music instead of putting on their own. I always kinda lolled at « x themed music » as a dlc feature bc if I want themed music I go to Spotify and type « iranian folk music » or whatever and bam there’s a bunch of playlists cultivated by actual iranians consisting of actual iranian music. It will never happen but I wish they’d go back to period pieces. You can get the effect really well in HoI4 because there’s hours and hours of actual period music recorded, conveniently sorted into themed playlists as well by history/music nerds.

Do some of you psychos listen to the sound effects too?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 18, 2023

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Eh yes.

Edit: I have been reading too much political threads today.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 18, 2023

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'll play Paradox games with the music on until I get bored of it after like 100-200 hours then I'll turn it down and play with other music in the background. Repeating that if I come back to a game after a break, I'll play with the music on until it gets too repetitive or tiring.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Victoria 1 had the best soundtrack of any Paradox game since it was all actual classical / Romantic / military march pieces from the period

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In theory the in-game music can be themed to what's actually going on in the game, which is not something you can really do with an external playlist.

Debatable how well this has been done in existing paradox games though, especially with the music packs.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Presumably there are also idiots who look at in-game graphics not realising they can't compete in quality with period-appropriate paintings.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CommonShore posted:

CK3 all RP mode also kinda reminds me of the indy game A Legionary's Life that some of the ancient history people got into a few years ago. In short, it's a text adventure game where you have opportunities to make decisions, train, and prepare, but when History happens to you it happens hard and you get swept away in things.

A similar but more complex and multicentred narrative style would be interesting for CK RP

Yeah, A Legionary's Life is pretty great! I actually wouldn't mind it if the CK2/3 people made their own take on that genre either, now that DrSunshine mentions it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ilitarist posted:

Presumably there are also idiots who look at in-game graphics not realising they can't compete in quality with period-appropriate paintings.

Well no friend, graphics and sound aren’t really comparable at all!

Case in point: the existing, beloved pds games that used computers for the graphics but had period soundtracks

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Farecoal posted:

Victoria 1 had the best soundtrack of any Paradox game since it was all actual classical / Romantic / military march pieces from the period

I liked Andreas’s music but I agree with this: EU2 has, IMO, the best music and Vicky 1 second best, in both cases because they used actual period music and not sounds-like period music.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jabor posted:

In theory the in-game music can be themed to what's actually going on in the game, which is not something you can really do with an external playlist.

Debatable how well this has been done in existing paradox games though, especially with the music packs.

Could always split the difference--let mod tracks use the preexisting tagging system yet, or better yet include custom weighting code, then let modders convert the playlists and sidestep having to handle licensing oneself. One of the V3 megapacks apparently made some progress towards this, but they don't go into much detail as to how.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mandoric posted:

Could always split the difference--let mod tracks use the preexisting tagging system yet, or better yet include custom weighting code, then let modders convert the playlists and sidestep having to handle licensing oneself. One of the V3 megapacks apparently made some progress towards this, but they don't go into much detail as to how.
Isn't this how it currently works? I'm pretty sure I made a custom playlist with weighting for EU4 at some point. Though I suppose Paradox might have hosed up the modability of that at some point, just like they did with the map.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well no friend, graphics and sound aren’t really comparable at all!

Case in point: the existing, beloved pds games that used computers for the graphics but had period soundtracks

If we're talking about this seriously, then the game soundtrack has the advantage of being context-sensitive and consistent. Of course, there can't be enough of it for a game you're going to play for hundreds of hours. I use mods sometimes, sometimes I listen to music unrelated to the game. Even context-sensitive mods suffer from inability to make the sound consistent. Even a simple thing like a volume level, not to mention the difference in recording quality and style. Sometimes I listen to a marching militray song that sounds as if it was recorded on old vinyl, sometimes it's a live performing of some aria from an opera and I can hear the audience, sometimes it's a 2-minute flute solo and next it's 40 minute sypmhony.

Of course, I could make a playlist myself, and I suspect there are plenty of 100-hour playlists full of good consistent music, but it requires a lot of effort. I imagine streamers do something like that?.. I'd like to find something like that.

BTW, I didn't mention graphics just as a joke. For some time I've played EU4 using The Great Exhibition mod. It replaces (almost?) all the event pictures with period appropriate paintings, or sometimes suitable art. Unlike EU4 OST the event pictures are not something the game can be proud of. They're simplistic and small and black&white. However playing with the painting mod made me exhausted of the images much quicker than from the original images. Because the vanilla pictures belong to EU4 and are made to lack context, while all the event pictures are very specific paintings with known history and obvious implications, and they're so detailed you don't see them as an abstract representation of what happens but rather as a reference to something very specific with a very vague connection to what's happening in my game. It's similar with music, Mozart OST is probably better than any music DLC for EU4, but it's not a part of EU4 experience. It's like those Sabaton songs, I can live with them appearing from time to time but it's weird when the whole soundscape consists of references.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Farecoal posted:

Did it have falalalala? No? Then it was second-best.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Farecoal posted:

I actually found one of the albums they used at the local library (it was all public domain stuff)

Groke posted:

Did it have falalalala? No? Then it was second-best.

:hmmyes:

quiet drum sounds

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I love the Vicky 3 soundtrack but not only is there far more period appropriate music my favourite mod changes the playlist every decade to adapt with the times which is way cooler and more immersive

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Which mod is that?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Star posted:

Which mod is that?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Star posted:

Which mod is that?

The Elgar submod of the bigger Morgenrote Dawn of Flavour modpack, it's 20 years not 10 though. The rest of the mod is kinda bloated and just amounts to "hey on this day, this book came out" but there's some fun astronomy and archaeology shenanigans.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

So there's no easy way to get cool contextual music part without... Let me check the screenshots... Decisions about expanding a zoo?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

iirc there are gamerules to disable stuff

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Lol. They nerfed the HOI4 jet engines, but didn't bother to check their preset designs so now it's impossible to build their preset jet bomber.

https://old.reddit.com/r/hoi4/comments/17foh6j/whoever_decided_to_nerf_jet_thrust_didnt_send_the/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/1717537409762484698?t=jQi_BVwV25iuGXyBzDu6yg&s=19

Paradox trying the novel idea of 'see if the game is actually good before funding it'

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

They should try whatever devolver digital is doing. But maybe that is what DD has in place that other publishers don't?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Finding people who play games and have opinions on them might be a lot to ask.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Hey I know some guys worth scouting. They made some really cool Shadowrun and Battletech games. I wonder what they’re up to now? Would love if they still existed and could make more games from beloved franchises…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do whatever MicroProse is doing cause they've been hitting it out of the park so far.