Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol, what a wild image to use for that tweet

E: Quote for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
@arsenalfc get well soon Eduardo! *pic of his leg in pieces*

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
here's a tweet about our valued player "NEYMAR "

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

the sex ghost posted:

Neymar got injured at the world cup and the next match brazil came out with armbands holding up his shirt during the anthems like he'd been killed. Then they lost 7-1

One of the greatest days of my life.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

it's how he will be remembered

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The 7-1 was in my hometown and was the only game in my hometown i didn't go to. I watched it at home with my mom and siblings. When germany scored the second goal, my mom got up to use the restroom. When she got back, she heard the TV from the other room and naively said "wow, they're still showing the replay from that goal." It was 5-0.

A friend who was a translator for some FIFA big shot was at the stadium. At the end of the game, they kept the doors closed for 30 minutes so people could cool down before getting out of the stadium.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

joepinetree posted:

The 7-1 was in my hometown and was the only game in my hometown i didn't go to. I watched it at home with my mom and siblings. When germany scored the second goal, my mom got up to use the restroom. When she got back, she heard the TV from the other room and naively said "wow, they're still showing the replay from that goal." It was 5-0.

A friend who was a translator for some FIFA big shot was at the stadium. At the end of the game, they kept the doors closed for 30 minutes so people could cool down before getting out of the stadium.

gently caress thats right I forgot that happened in Brazil ahahah

Lol

Lmao even

Edit for more lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc4_PfGzd_o

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
People of my generation who are Atletico Mineiro fans generally have a low to negative opinion of the national team (because CBF constantly hosed over Atletico and our best player in the 70s and 80s).

To this day Atletico fans will try to drown out the national anthem in home games by singing the team's anthem louder.

So about half of belo horizonte actually had a good laugh at the national team losing that badly.

You can see what I am talking about here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O96Ac2RzC44&t=708s

(this is from a youtuber, but i was at this game).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

greazeball posted:

it's how he will be remembered

lol that the background picture is an image of another, different injury

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Chiellini using the juventus players whatsapp to (allegedly) explain how the club was going to commit fraud and how it was important nobody discussed the financial crimes outside of the whatsapp

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

webmeister posted:

lol that the background picture is an image of another, different injury

lol

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

stab posted:

gently caress thats right I forgot that happened in Brazil ahahah

Lol

Lmao even

Edit for more lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc4_PfGzd_o

This has to be one of the greatest days in footballing history

God drat I almost forgot the visceral edge to this game

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I was at a conference for work manning a booth in the vendor area and put the match on our TV instead of whatever awful marketing crap we were showing and had a huge crowd. it was great

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I still love that despite the German players agreeing at half time not to humiliate Brazil and to just play calmly and professionally in the second half, Schürrle comes on for the final 30 minutes thinking “gently caress that, I’m padding my stats” and immediately smashes in two goals

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

spending my entire childhood in a golden era for Brazil where every player who came to Europe was unique and special (even the ones who played for Middlesbrough)

and then Kleberson and Roque Junior showing up and everyone simultaneously realising that Brazil were bad and fail, actually

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

manchester united forcing the season to be extended by a week because the dudes whose job it is to search for bombs forgot to pack away all of the practice bombs at the end of their shift

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

spending my entire childhood in a golden era for Brazil where every player who came to Europe was unique and special (even the ones who played for Middlesbrough)

and then Kleberson and Roque Junior showing up and everyone simultaneously realising that Brazil were bad and fail, actually

The cracks were starting to show in 1998 with world record transfer Denilson.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Robinho thinking he joined Manchester United but actually signed for Manchester City

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Vanderley Luxemburgo, who was the brazil manager between 1998 and 2000, left in disgrace because a congressional inquiry found out he was making money by calling up marginal players to the national team and collecting a fee if they were sold. Part of that fee he would then use to pay the decent players that were not called up to keep them quiet. It came out like a bomb in the congressional inquiry, but like every other big scandal it made the news, then somehow got suppressed and no one every said anything again.

Like, Evanilson was called up like 13 times, up until he was sold to some chumps (borussia) and then never called up again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I looked him up and well, he's had quite a managerial career.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
That particular practice has long been suspected in Brazil. Lots of players who would suddenly get called up all the time and then disappear once the transfer fee was paid. The big difference between the other managers who did it and Luxemburgo was that Luxemburgo's former assistant decided to go whistleblower.

Catanha (who ended up playing for Spain)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catanha

and Vagner, who eventually did play for Brazil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A1gner_(footballer,_born_1973)

both claimed that when Luxemburgo was in charge they were asked for money if they wanted to be called up...

Not that it stopped when he left. The next guy called up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A9omar_Leiria

who was a 30 year old nobody who was then immediately sold to a korean team and never called up again.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fagner

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Middlesbrough almost, but not quite signing Ronaldinho

Middlesbrough signing Ricardinho and him never making an appearance for us

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 21, 2023

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

Middlesbrough almost, but not quite signing Ronaldinho

Middlesbrough signing Ricardinho and him never making an appearance for us

Afonso Alves if we’re going for funny Brazilian Middlesbrough poo poo, a classic warning about Eredivisie strikers

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Afonso Alves if we’re going for funny Brazilian Middlesbrough poo poo, a classic warning about Eredivisie strikers

I'll have you know Afonso Alves scored a hat-trick against football powerhouses Manchester City, becoming the first Brazilian footballer to score a hat trick in the Premier League in the process!

If we're going for funny Brazilian Middlesbrough players who actually played a game it's got to be World Cup winner Branco, who arrived as wide as he was tall

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Signing a 40 goal a season eredivisie striker is a lucky dip. Might get a suarez, might get a kezman. It's fun

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Signing a 40 goal a season eredivisie striker is a lucky dip. Might get a suarez, might get a kezman. It's fun

might get a five tool striker who can turn and burn John Terry

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I was including Bouncy Branco in my list of unique 90s Brazilian players

also 50-year-old chain-smoker Socrates turning out in the 10th tier of English football for no reason

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

the sex ghost posted:

never forget that Alves scored 7 of those 40 eredivisie goals in one match lol

https://youtu.be/57FW8O6IYfs?si=qjNDlPbztk6TawGl

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

ashley young having a bird poo poo in his mouth

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Rio Ferdinand repeated calling his “good friend” Ashley Young, Ashley Cole

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

rio calling ashley cole a choc ice

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Please please please please

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Vividly remember seeing this on motd, good poo poo

Too many fancy dans who don’t like it up em nowadays

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Jon Arne Riise’s wage slip getting leaked onto the internet.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

ashley young eatin a bit of seagull poo

edit: lmfao:

Bogan Krkic posted:

ashley young having a bird poo poo in his mouth

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Atletico Madrid subbing Antoine Griezmann on in the 60th minute of every match for half a season to avoid paying Barcelona an extra transfer fee based on minutes played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
After being released by Barcelona in a farcical manner, Luis Suarez scoring the winning goals in the final match of the season, leading Atlético to beat Barça to the La Liga title