Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Chronojam posted:

They're really dangerous and annoying for armored vehicles making a push.

The US has absurd numbers of attack helicopters, like 700 Apaches, so it doesn't look significant at first. But iirc Russia only had 100 of those Ka-52s and lost 23 last year, so even 5 destroyed is a big deal.

Five Ka-52 is $100 million wiped away and the ATACMS are like $1m each so it's an easy attrition win (ignoring that they're actually irreplaceable)

They're irreplaceable in the same sense the Ford Focus is irreplaceable. Yeah, that exact thing is no longer being made, but newer and better alternatives exist should they run out.

Edit: wait, did you mean the helicopter or the ATACMS?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

A.o.D. posted:

They're irreplaceable in the same sense the Ford Focus is irreplaceable. Yeah, that exact thing is no longer being made, but newer and better alternatives exist should they run out.

Edit: wait, did you mean the helicopter or the ATACMS?

They ordered the latest model of the KA-52 in 2018, the first ten were delivered in early 2023, apparently. I think that's a sufficiently slow rate of production/upgrading of old versions that they might as well be irreplaceable

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

as long as the missile knows where the bridge isn't, you're golden

Hmm, I see, so as long as we can subtract where the missile is from where it isn't it can find the bridge?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

They ordered the latest model of the KA-52 in 2018, the first ten were delivered in early 2023, apparently. I think that's a sufficiently slow rate of production/upgrading of old versions that they might as well be irreplaceable

I thought you meant the ATACMS at first (which is also out of production). Losing KA-52s is an outcome I'm cheering for.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Burning through Dragon missiles that had been manufactured in the mid-70s was a treat. The only time I ever enjoyed firing that bastard.

I’m sure all the Dragon hate is justified but I have to think that in say, 1978 they would have been a real problem if you’re trying to LeRoy Jenkins a mechanized corps down the fulda gap.

Not Javelin levels of “in the dark from 5 klicks away right in the soft spot” but enough to make problems.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I remain blown away at just how much bang for their buck Ukraine gets out of basically every long range missile. I was going to amend that sentence with 'given to them' but they sunk the moskva and another landing ship (and damaged yet another that apparently is still out of commission) with their own missiles (neptunes and tochkas respectively) well before anyone had even dared to imagine Ukraine receiving missiles from france/england/the us

there's a thesis in there somewhere probably about the comparative advantage and value of using weapons against military targets and not in emotional retaliatory strikes

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

This has gotta be a bit of clever propaganda, right? There's no way Budanov is actually out there geared up and participating in the fighting, right?

From a few pages ago, but it wouldn't be the first time. This is a photo of Adm McRaven (a 4 star admiral and SEAL) going on a HVT raid in Iraq. The other guy is a CSM, the two blurred faces are UKSAS.

Anyways, back to lurking.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Defenestrategy posted:

Hmm, I see, so as long as we can subtract where the missile is from where it isn't it can find the bridge?
If the missile subtracts where the bridge is and adds to where the bridge isn't, and subtracts from where it is and adds to where it isn't, and divides from where it was and multiplies to where it is now, and subtracts from where it should be and adds to where it is now, and takes into account the conversion of dog years of flight travel into Zulu time, then :byoscience:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I remain blown away at just how much bang for their buck Ukraine gets out of basically every long range missile. I was going to amend that sentence with 'given to them' but they sunk the moskva and another landing ship (and damaged yet another that apparently is still out of commission) with their own missiles (neptunes and tochkas respectively) well before anyone had even dared to imagine Ukraine receiving missiles from france/england/the us

there's a thesis in there somewhere probably about the comparative advantage and value of using weapons against military targets and not in emotional retaliatory strikes

I hope the case study makes its way into doctrine. I think we could really ratchet up our effectiveness by exercising more selective targeting.

I am also curious about how much can be credited to Russian incompetence. It seems like the world's militaries are separated into "those who train/try" and "those who grift". I didn't expect that to be the separation, but it seems that way.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The missile subtracts where it was from where it wasn’t, and in doing so knows where the KA-52 now isn’t.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I was an IT admin in that time frame and I remember that we had 2 specific Dell desktop models deployed company wide that to a man failed with those bursting caps.

Oh man. I worked at a web hosting company that used about 3000 of these as low cost “servers” boy let me tell you those caps became a very familiar problem.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

ASAPI posted:

I hope the case study makes its way into doctrine. I think we could really ratchet up our effectiveness by exercising more selective targeting.

I am also curious about how much can be credited to Russian incompetence. It seems like the world's militaries are separated into "those who train/try" and "those who grift". I didn't expect that to be the separation, but it seems that way.
Yeah, look at middle eastern militaries for a good example. Including the Afghan forces. Entire military and police forces switched to Taliban control, but they apparently are still as crap as they were under US control.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

TheWeedNumber posted:

Clarification, just wanted to say that for no reason. Don’t give them nukes lol

Counterpoint - bring back the SADM

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Defenestrategy posted:

Exactly, it knows where the bridge will be and avoiding all positions where the bridge isn't it will arrive at where the bridge is and occupy that position. Now the bridge can't be where it was, and the missile is now, and so the bridge isn't where it was which is what the user wanted.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

M_Gargantua posted:

Counterpoint - bring back the SADM

I'm sorry I'm the first to give you this news, but we got him a long time ago. He was buried a little hole.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Murgos posted:

I’m sure all the Dragon hate is justified but I have to think that in say, 1978 they would have been a real problem if you’re trying to LeRoy Jenkins a mechanized corps down the fulda gap.

Not Javelin levels of “in the dark from 5 klicks away right in the soft spot” but enough to make problems.

Oh, it's justified. I started out as a Dragon gunner in the 82nd, I hated that motherfucker with every fiber of my being. You fire one? Everybody knows where you are as it takes its loving time down range and you can't move. It has issues with brush and water crossings. Firing it from a pro when the backblast did its thing and that cone is ridiculously wide and could be very erratic (you never could tell what was the safe area). The prone position is possible, but unbelievably not fun and it caught my AG's boot on fire once (see cone size) and finally parachuting that bitch was a nightmare.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that we don't get a lot of information as to the misses and failures. The broadcast successes are fantastic, but we don't have a good picture of even, for example, how many HIMARs are still active or how many ATACMs/Storm Shadow/Neptunes have been used to less spectacular results (and nor should we).

But regardless, hopefully that will all work in Ukraine's favor in the long run if it hopes to build a strong postwar local MIC as they'll at least be able to advertise strong successes and at least fine tune failures with proven field experience. But to call all this hardware wunderwaffen at this point is premature IMO.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's not so much that the hardware is wonderful as that the Ukrainians seem talented at taking whatever mixed lot of hand-me-downs has been given to them and using it all to good effect.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You can't really kill something like a HIMARS way back from the front lines without good recon. And if Russia had hit one, we'd have seen the video. The same goes for StormShadow/ATACMS. Russia isn't claiming interceptions, so they've got nothing. The helicopter base looks to have been hit by 3 ATACMS. There's one dud intact on the ground, some helos got destroyed, and maybe the third missile did stuff too or maybe it got intercepted. At best Russian air defense had a 33% success rate against a 27-year old American missile. Russia isn't even claiming an intercept that I've seen.

Early reporting is that we only sent 12 ATACMS. Five of those turned into 5 destroyed KA-52s at a base positioned to support the Zaporozhe defenses, maybe 5-7% of the remaining stock of those birds. The other 7? Russia now knows that they're looking at 2-3 of those hitting anything that's a good target for a cluster warhead and in range. Ukraine doesn't even need to launch them to disrupt Russian rear areas.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

It's not so much that the hardware is wonderful as that the Ukrainians seem talented at taking whatever mixed lot of hand-me-downs has been given to them and using it all to good effect.

I'm pretty sure the equipment they've been provided is far better than the Soviet crap they were relying on at the beginning of the war.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1714709500672753792 https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1714710724834922588

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

mllaneza posted:

You can't really kill something like a HIMARS way back from the front lines without good recon. And if Russia had hit one, we'd have seen the video. The same goes for StormShadow/ATACMS. Russia isn't claiming interceptions, so they've got nothing.

um excuse me but russia has more kills on himars units than have been produced. checkmate.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Also how much of the design relies on western components directly or western machine tools to manufacture said components domestically, because those supply chains are a little disrupted.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Russia had roughly 130 KA-52 before the war. They've lost at least 40-50 so far. Losing another 5 at once does hurt quite a bit.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

holy poo poo aren't they based in Belarus?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

shame on an IGA posted:

holy poo poo aren't they based in Belarus?

Founded in Belarus, but Wikipedia says their current HQ is in Cyprus.

quote:

Studios

Wargaming Kyiv (Persha Studia) in Kyiv, Ukraine; founded in 2000, acquired in 2011.[58]
Wargaming SAS in Paris, France; acquired in 2011[13]
Wargaming Chicago-Baltimore in Chicago, Illinois, and Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.; founded as Day 1 Studios, acquired and renamed in January 2013.[59]
Wargaming Mobile; established in June 2017.[60]
Wargaming Berlin in Berlin, Germany; established in 2017.[61]
DPS Games in Guildford, England; established as Wargaming UK in September 2018, renamed in September 2020.[62][63]
Edge Case Games in Guildford, England; founded in 2014, acquired and merged in November 2018.[64][65]
Wargaming Vilnius in Vilnius, Lithuania; established in April 2021.
Wargaming Belgrade in Belgrade, Serbia; established in June 2022.[66]

Former

Wargaming Seattle in Redmond, Washington, U.S.; founded as Gas Powered Games in May 1998, acquired in February 2013,[67] renamed in March 2013,[68] and closed down in 2018.[69]
Wargaming Helsinki in Helsinki, Finland; founded as Boomlagoon in 2012, acquired and renamed in December 2016, closed in October 2019.[70]
Wargaming Copenhagen in Copenhagen, Denmark; founded as Hapti.co as a subsidiary of IO Interactive, acquired and renamed in September 2017, sold to Rovio Entertainment in 2020.[71]
Lesta Studio in Saint-Petersburg, Russia; acquired in 2011. No longer affiliated with Wargaming as of April 2022.[43]
Wargaming Minsk in Minsk, Belarus; the original and largest studio of Wargaming, established in 1998, withdrawn in 2022.
Wargaming Moscow in Moscow, Russia; established in October 2017,[72] withdrawn in 2022.
Wargaming Sydney in Sydney, Australia; acquired in August 2012, sold to Riot Games in October 2022.[73]

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 19, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

DTurtle posted:

Russia had roughly 130 KA-52 before the war. They've lost at least 40-50 so far. Losing another 5 at once does hurt quite a bit.

That's a quite the percentage of a domestic aircraft fleet gone. It's approaching the percentage of F-105's lost in the Vietnam War, almost half of which were destroyed. Not a perfect comparison, as the Kamov is still being made, while the F-105 had ended production, but it's the closest modern example I can think of.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't imagine the maintenance situation is a good one for the remaining not-exploded helicopters.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Also how much of the design relies on western components directly or western machine tools to manufacture said components domestically, because those supply chains are a little disrupted.

Not fully disrupted, though:
https://twitter.com/SimonOstrovsky/status/1714635115890892934#m

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That's a Sepp Blatter style denial.

are they actively dodging sanctions?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

That's a Sepp Blatter style denial.

are they actively dodging sanctions?

More than likely they aren't bothering to verify the buyer. A lot of equipment is being resold (presumably at a huge markup) by companies in the bordering CIS countries. If you've only ever gotten 2 orders from Kazakhstan and then suddenly you're getting 200, it should raise questions. But a lot of (mostly European) countries that used to do business in Russia are looking the other way.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

psydude posted:

More than likely they aren't bothering to verify the buyer. A lot of equipment is being resold (presumably at a huge markup) by companies in the bordering CIS countries. If you've only ever gotten 2 orders from Kazakhstan and then suddenly you're getting 200, it should raise questions. But a lot of (mostly European) countries that used to do business in Russia are looking the other way.

So a German article on it makes it unclear whether it's even covered by sanctions, but makes it clear that the shell companies involved are utterly transparent:
https://twitter.com/SimonOstrovsky/status/1714351524120252807#m

... certainly the sort of case you described would be against how US sanctions are normally supposed to work, but I have no clue on EU ones.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

OddObserver posted:

... certainly the sort of case you described would be against how US sanctions are normally supposed to work, but I have no clue on EU ones.

If there's one thing that's become clear about EU enforcement over the years, it's that it's intended specifically to not target EU companies.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

OddObserver posted:

So a German article on it makes it unclear whether it's even covered by sanctions, but makes it clear that the shell companies involved are utterly transparent:
https://twitter.com/SimonOstrovsky/status/1714351524120252807#m

Got a translated version of the article for those of us who do not read German? At least one commenter is calling the evidence weak, but I'd like to read it for myself.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Got a translated version of the article for those of us who do not read German? At least one commenter is calling the evidence weak, but I'd like to read it for myself.

I read via Google translate myself. (The first of the two buttons it pops up in interstitial worked, won the lottery there).

Edit: the first link there is to the original PBS story: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/machinery-from-new-york-based-company-used-to-build-russian-weapons-used-in-war-on-ukraine

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 19, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

cult_hero posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that we don't get a lot of information as to the misses and failures. The broadcast successes are fantastic, but we don't have a good picture of even, for example, how many HIMARs are still active or how many ATACMs/Storm Shadow/Neptunes have been used to less spectacular results (and nor should we).

But regardless, hopefully that will all work in Ukraine's favor in the long run if it hopes to build a strong postwar local MIC as they'll at least be able to advertise strong successes and at least fine tune failures with proven field experience. But to call all this hardware wunderwaffen at this point is premature IMO.

it feels to me like Ukraine doesn't deny when things go to poo poo, they just aren't as loud as their successes. They didn't bawl and pitch a fit when they had that failed strike with all their fancy NATO equipment 6 months ago. They just kept on doing their thing, which was asking for more gear and better gear

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Aces High posted:

it feels to me like Ukraine doesn't deny when things go to poo poo, they just aren't as loud as their successes. They didn't bawl and pitch a fit when they had that failed strike with all their fancy NATO equipment 6 months ago. They just kept on doing their thing, which was asking for more gear and better gear

When you're relying on good will from countries with wildly different expectations, being humble when making mistakes is really important to keep everyone confident that backing you is the right choice. Imagine how easy it would be to pull funding in wavering countries if they had the "blind optimism" Russia does with its reporting of conditions on the operational level*

E: that reads wrong, I think. "on the operational levels when they fail:. I don't mean to imply that Ukraine has similar levels of success to Russia on the operational level

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 19, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
If true, Russian ability to respond with attack helicopters to Ukranian armored movements has been gutted
https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1715132980652310662

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's one hell of a strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tbh if I was a Russian heli pilot I'd be quietly cheering.