Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Azhais posted:

It costs $4700 and using it in the presence of an electrode voids the warranty

The Galaxy Note 7 is the only approved electrode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

we out here living in 2023, this guy living in 3023.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

There’s a housing development around here that has a little air strip in the backyard of a bunch of houses. They all have little cessnas or whatever that they fly in and out all the time.

I wonder how much lead they’re getting.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Topical ar work we were just talking how safe it is to look at the eclipse through a phone camera turns out it may fry your camera according to thr internet. Wonder if this is in the same ballpark.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Wonder if this is in the same ballpark.

It is. can burn out cells in the camera sensors and then the next bunch of pictures will have stuck pixels in the output.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I did it for a few seconds with the eclipse and I have no stuck pixels.

The pictures it took sucked, except for one that happened to catch a lens flair just perfectly so you could see the eclipse happening. Crazy lucky

I’ve seen YouTubers who burned out pixels in their cameras with lasers... but I’d be pretty surprised if the sun did it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

yummycheese posted:

It is. can burn out cells in the camera sensors and then the next bunch of pictures will have stuck pixels in the output.

Better than burning out your eyes I guess

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not sure how an eclipse could fry your phone camera. The reason staring at an eclipse is bad for your eyes is that since it's dark, your iris opens up to allow more light in - but there's still a similar amount of UV to normal, which ends up cooking your retina.

That's not how phone cameras work though! There's no iris, the sensor is just getting hit by the same amount of UV as it always is on a sunny day.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jabor posted:

I'm not sure how an eclipse could fry your phone camera. The reason staring at an eclipse is bad for your eyes is that since it's dark, your iris opens up to allow more light in - but there's still a similar amount of UV to normal, which ends up cooking your retina.

That's not how phone cameras work though! There's no iris, the sensor is just getting hit by the same amount of UV as it always is on a sunny day.

Do you magically know the exact moment when to look and take a picture, or do you stand there for 10 minutes pointing your camera at 80% of the sun waiting for the eclipse to happen?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Yes cell phones are notorious for not being useable outside during the day.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Eclipses are notortiously random and unpredictable

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jabor posted:

There's no iris, the sensor is just getting hit by the same amount of UV as it always is on a sunny day.

You're not getting the same amount of UV in a photo of your dog on a grass lawn as you are pointing the sensor directly at the sun.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jabor posted:

Perhaps this means that pointing your camera at the sun is a bad idea, whether it's eclipsed or not?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I once took a picture of the Moon which is very similar to the Sun using my cell phone camera and it came out blurry.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Desert Bus posted:

I once took a picture of the Moon which is very similar to the Sun using my cell phone camera and it came out blurry.

Just lower the moon

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Crazy how nature do that

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Why would you take a picture of the moon when you can just Google "moon picture" and get a million of the same thing?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

McSpanky posted:

Perhaps this means that pointing your camera at the sun is a bad idea, whether it's eclipsed or not?

Have you ever had your phone sitting on a table outside on a sunny day? There's a good chance you've already had the sensor pointing uninterrupted at the sun without damaging it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A DSLR with a honking great lens on it? Sure, be careful where you're pointing that thing. Your phone camera is going to be fine though.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Hated it at the time, but this was one of my dad's favorite punishments. Go fell a tree and split some wood. Didn't matter if it was July, and we didn't need firewood.
I mean, still kinda hate it, cause he was an rear end in a top hat.
But man, it gave me crazy amounts of functional strength and lean muscle.
Like crossfit, but somehow safer with chainsaws, axes, and mauls.

Also, she's a badass, with a great personality :)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
https://i.imgur.com/T0a8dAT.mp4

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

blight rhino posted:

Hated it at the time, but this was one of my dad's favorite punishments. Go fell a tree and split some wood. Didn't matter if it was July, and we didn't need firewood.
I mean, still kinda hate it, cause he was an rear end in a top hat.
But man, it gave me crazy amounts of functional strength and lean muscle.
Like crossfit, but somehow safer with chainsaws, axes, and mauls.

Also, she's a badass, with a great personality :)

I want her wood splitting sword:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irx1qjRWQUw

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
So I found the article I came across the other day that said yes 100 percent they will,https://www.chron.com/news/space/article/eclipse-camera-phone-18421651.php

but this one I just found says yes and no. lovely phones no, but if your phone has a big baller lense it can?
https://www.pennlive.com/wildaboutpa/2017/08/will_the_solar_eclipse_destroy.html

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Push El Burrito posted:

Why would you take a picture of the moon when you can just Google "moon picture" and get a million of the same thing?

¿Por que no los dos?

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/13/23637401/samsung-fake-moon-photos-ai-galaxy-s21-s23-ultra

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Eclipses are the only time God cannot see you and I dunno why you'd waste that freedom trying to take pics of it.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Why would the eclipse ever leave the hospital

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

Pointing your phone camera at something as bright as the sun when there isn't an eclipse will also ruin the camera, it doesn't get less damaging just because some of the sun's surface is blocked by the moon. What's left is still every bit as bright and will still do a number on your camera.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/09/rental-camera-gear-destroyed-by-the-solar-eclipse-of-2017/

Jabor posted:

A DSLR with a honking great lens on it? Sure, be careful where you're pointing that thing. Your phone camera is going to be fine though.

Lenses don't increase surface brightness.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

Pointing your phone camera at something as bright as the sun when there isn't an eclipse will also ruin the camera, it doesn't get less damaging just because some of the sun's surface is blocked by the moon. What's left is still every bit as bright and will still do a number on your camera.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/09/rental-camera-gear-destroyed-by-the-solar-eclipse-of-2017/

Did you even read the article you linked?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phanatic posted:

No, but with a long lens set to the right focal length, the hot spot can end up focused to a pinpoint right on the sensor. Like burning a leaf with a magnifying glass. With a phone camera, the lens is far to close to the sensor for the rays of the sun to focus to a pinpoint.

Not saying it's good to point a camera lens directly at the sun, but there's far, far less of chance of damaging a phones camera vs an actual camera with long lens.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/YUom2Gi.mp4

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

Because you have a giant rear end lens pointing straight at the sun, and its not the UV so much as the heat. Same idea as a magnifying glass and ants.

Back in the 2017 eclipse I used a solar filter before the sun was completely covered, as that was still enough light to damage my lens. Soon as it completely covered, I was able to take the filter off.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CitizenKain posted:

Because you have a giant rear end lens pointing straight at the sun, and its not the UV so much as the heat. Same idea as a magnifying glass and ants.

Back in the 2017 eclipse I used a solar filter before the sun was completely covered, as that was still enough light to damage my lens. Soon as it completely covered, I was able to take the filter off.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to see how it could destroy an actual camera with a big fat lens. (Contrary to what Phanatic seems to think, a big lens is going to focus more light and thus heat onto the sensor, that's literally the point of a big lens). But that post is about your dinky cellphone camera with it's 5mm lens, which is also designed to not destroy itself if you have it out in the sun with an uncovered lens even when not using it as a camera.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm going to focus the sun through an 85 1.2 L directly onto a treadmill made of this argument

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Jabor posted:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to see how it could destroy an actual camera with a big fat lens. (Contrary to what Phanatic seems to think, a big lens is going to focus more light and thus heat onto the sensor, that's literally the point of a big lens). But that post is about your dinky cellphone camera with it's 5mm lens, which is also designed to not destroy itself if you have it out in the sun with an uncovered lens even when not using it as a camera.

Phanatic is right in that just a larger zoom factor doesn't influence point heating on the sensor, since the image of the sun will spread out over more of the sensor aera. But physically larger lens diameter will gather more light overall and that will be able to heat the sensor more, and large zoom lenses tend to have large lens diameters.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm going to focus the sun through an 85 1.2 L directly onto a treadmill made of this argument

You'll be fine so long as you have a ballistic parachute

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabor posted:

Nah it’s the visible light that destroys retinas, and “cooking” is a bit of a misnomer because it’s not related to heating. It’s photons acting on your delicate eye chemicals.

https://doi.org/10.1038%2Feye.2010.149 posted:

The cornea absorbs almost all ultraviolet radiation below 295 nm. This includes all UVC and most UVB light. The natural crystalline lens absorbs most light near UVB (300–315 nm) and all UVA light. Owing to changes in the crystalline lens with age, the cataractous lens absorbs more of the shorter-wavelength light, which further limits the amount of short-wavelength light (300–400 nm) propagated to the retina.31 As the vitreous gel is comprised of approximately 98% water, its absorption properties resemble those of water. Wavelengths in the visual spectrum (400–700 nm) and IRA (700–1400 nm) bands are readily propagated, while UV, IRB, and IRC bands are almost entirely absorbed. The remaining propagated radiation spectra ranging between 400 and 1400 nm in wavelength is referred to as the retinal hazard region.

So that’s most of the visible spectrum, plus a large portion of near infrared.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
As an anecdata point, in high school I was in welding AND photography, and the photography teacher was long since used to telling the welding kids "yes you can take pictures of welding, no you cannot look through the manual viewfinder or you will blind yourself, idiot, use the giant screen on the back" without even the perfunctory safety shouting that "we want to take football action shots from the sidelines" would have gotten out of that dude

I have been taking photos of welding with arbitrary cameras since then and have yet to cook a one that way

similarly, I like taking pictures of the sun. In 2017 I really wanted to take photos of the big eclipse. I decided well before leaving that I was willing to trade my cheap old superzoom camera for even one good photo of the event.
with that in mind, I proceeded to photograph the entire eclipse with this thing I hacked out of a set of recalled eclipse glasses:

unexpectedly, the camera lived, and I got about the best I could expect out of that setup

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

This is a cool post, thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Agreed