Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Phanatic posted:

As of one hour ago tickets at Chase Field were down to nine dollars.

Why, is there a Coyotes game that night? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

explosivo posted:

I grew up in a suburb of York which is why I've always been an O's fan. It's just always been easier for us to hop down to Camden Yds compared to make the drive to Philly. The official Orioles Team store (other than the one at Camden Yards) was in our mall in York, PA for a while. I haven't been back there in like 15 years tho so I have no idea if the York Galleria Mall even still exists.

The drive to Philly isn't bad, just not convenient.

I feel like a good part of York is stuck in 1983. South Jersey (where my family is from) is the same.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It is my sincere hope that the noble Rangers defeat the dastardly Astros tonight.

t:mad:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

GOMS

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Red posted:

I feel like a good part of York is stuck in 1983. South Jersey (where my family is from) is the same.

Oh yeah. Hence why I have not been back since college, haha.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Phanatic posted:

As of one hour ago tickets at Chase Field were down to nine dollars.

on the one hand it rules to have sellout crowds pretty much every day for an 84 win team but i payed like $400 to sit in the 500s for NLCS game 2 in 2016 and it would kinda rule to be able to go to a playoff game for indie ball prices.

actually i think chicago dogs tickets are like $12

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

more falafel please posted:

on the one hand it rules to have sellout crowds pretty much every day for an 84 win team but i payed like $400 to sit in the 500s for NLCS game 2 in 2016 and it would kinda rule to be able to go to a playoff game for indie ball prices.

actually i think chicago dogs tickets are like $12

Back in '93 even when the Phils jumped out to first place at the start of the season and stayed there you could still get 700-level seats at the Vet for under 10 bucks and we went to so damned many home games that they gave us a chance to buy playoff and series tickets. So my buddy took his dad to an NLCS game and a series game, and I took mine to game 6 when they sent the Braves home.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

explosivo posted:

Oh yeah. Hence why I have not been back since college, haha.

Wait. Are you a Spartan?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

My hot take that likely no one will agree with is that the *current* Philly team rankings in this exact moment are Phillies >= Eagles > Union > Flyers > Sixers

The Eagles look a bit like frauds with how badly they've played at times and could very well be 2-4 with a few things not going their way. They're still the city's eternal favorite, but right now the Phillies can't do much wrong. Everyone worships Bryce, loves our Big Boy Kyle and his monster dongs, and we also unlocked The Power of Friendship.

The Union were four minutes from a title before blowing it last year (same day as the Phillies losing the WS, a record that may never be broken). The fanbase is extremely mad that the owner won't spend any money to keep their best players because he's a cheapskate, but they basically sell out every game. They're still a good team by MLS and CONCACAF standards. Their stadium itself is really nice, but the location and parking are horrid and the main reason I've only ever gone to two games.

The Philadelphia Flyers have been dogshit garbage™ for the last decade but they did a soft reset and lucked into a prospect (Matvei Michkov) that would have been a consensus #1 most years. There's a decent bit of hope as a result. They probably get even less talk time on WIP than the Union, which is next to none.

The Sixers are a joke franchise and perennial losers who can't get out of the second round. 2019 was their best shot. I think they've lost a shitload of people for good (in terms of the Josh Harris/Embiid/Process era) in the last six months. The arena is loving stupid and shouldn't be built because they'll be a 20-win team no one gives a poo poo about by the time it's done and it'll also gently caress up Chinatown.

Basically the Phillies and Eagles are the only teams that truly matter here right now. Go Phils, Go Birds, etc.

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 18, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the most pressing question regarding philly is which home depot parking lot has the best sausage and peppers i need to know for my trip next year

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

maffew buildings posted:

the most pressing question regarding philly is which home depot parking lot has the best sausage and peppers i need to know for my trip next year

The easiest one to get to is gonna be off Columbus Blvd, but instead you should just go across the street to John's

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

wow, sounds like i'm going to have a busy trip

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Red posted:

Wait. Are you a Spartan?

No I went to Kutztown but I did take some summer classes at YCP. I just meant that I haven't had a need to go back to my home town since I was roughly college aged.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

triple sulk posted:

My hot take that likely no one will agree with is that the *current* Philly team rankings in this exact moment are Phillies >= Eagles > Union > Flyers > Sixers

as far as popularity/hype?

as a literal just this second snapshot, sure maybe, but over the course of time the eagles always average out to be #1 and they always will be until the NFL itself goes away.

the phillies were a dogshit draw from 2012 until the harper signing.

even when the eagles have been bad/mediocre they're still selling out (24 straight years at this point)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

triple sulk posted:

The Eagles look a bit like frauds with how badly they've played at times and could very well be 2-4 with a few things not going their way. They're still the city's eternal favorite, but right now the Phillies can't do much wrong. Everyone worships Bryce, loves our Big Boy Kyle and his monster dongs, and we also unlocked The Power of Friendship.

The Union were four minutes from a title before blowing it last year (same day as the Phillies losing the WS, a record that may never be broken). The fanbase is extremely mad that the owner won't spend any money to keep their best players because he's a cheapskate, but they basically sell out every game. They're still a good team by MLS and CONCACAF standards. Their stadium itself is really nice, but the location and parking are horrid and the main reason I've only ever gone to two games.

The Philadelphia Flyers have been dogshit garbage™ for the last decade but they did a soft reset and lucked into a prospect (Matvei Michkov) that would have been a consensus #1 most years. There's a decent bit of hope as a result. They probably get even less talk time on WIP than the Union, which is next to none.

The Sixers are a joke franchise and perennial losers who can't get out of the second round. 2019 was their best shot. I think they've lost a shitload of people for good (in terms of the Josh Harris/Embiid/Process era) in the last six months. The arena is loving stupid and shouldn't be built because they'll be a 20-win team no one gives a poo poo about by the time it's done and it'll also gently caress up Chinatown.

Basically the Phillies and Eagles are the only teams that truly matter here right now. Go Phils, Go Birds, etc.

I agree with it :unsmith:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

aBagorn posted:

as far as popularity/hype?

as a literal just this second snapshot, sure maybe, but over the course of time the eagles always average out to be #1 and they always will be until the NFL itself goes away.

the phillies were a dogshit draw from 2012 until the harper signing.

even when the eagles have been bad/mediocre they're still selling out (24 straight years at this point)

yeah the talk about CBP being such a raucous and loud environment is funny. it's obviously true now at least in the playoffs but i went on a gorgeous weekend day in late may 2017, got a deal for ticket + parking + hot dog + chips + pop for $40. it was maybe half full and not particularly raucous. it was a walkoff, too :)

Nitnen
Jul 29, 2011
i once saw two smash bros players trash talking each other and one of them said "the only thing in philadelphia worse than the 76ers is your fox" and now thanks to reading this thread i finally understand why that hurts

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think it's hard to fairly compare attendance between football and baseball when you're talking 8/9 home games a year versus 81. And the Eagles to their credit have fielded competitive teams throughout most of that 24 year stretch.

Don't forget, CBP was basically jam packed nearly every game between 2007-2011, and this wasn't Cardinals attendance math. Maybe it wasn't quite as juiced up for a game in June as it does for playoffs, but it was always a party.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 18, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I do not understand why the Union don't play their games at the Linc, other than that they don't want to look bad with all the empty seats? But maybe they wouldn't be empty if you actually established a presence.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't think the Linc or the Eagles want them full time. I don't even think they really want Temple football either.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

shyduck posted:

Don't forget, CBP was basically jam packed nearly every game between 2007-2011, and this wasn't Cardinals attendance math. Maybe it wasn't quite as juiced up for a game in June as it does for playoffs, but it was always a party.

oh trust me i don't. i went to many many games during that stretch, had a partial season plan in 10 and 11

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah I went to several games in that time too, it was so much fun, some of my best memories

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm likely not going to be paying close attention tonight so go the Texas Rangers, a team I don't actually care about but will lead to a more interesting World Series than the Astros AGAIN.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i just looked up what the union is because i didn't know what the gently caress anyone was talking about and friendly reminder soccer isn't a real sport and against american law, hth

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Red posted:

The drive to Philly isn't bad, just not convenient.

Which part of South Jersey? The only true Jersey.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

maffew buildings posted:

gently caress yeah Rocco's is great. I was not expecting much when I got a cheese steak from there but was very happy with it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

shyduck posted:

I don't think the Linc or the Eagles want them full time. I don't even think they really want Temple football either.
I suppose we could build a stadium for the Owls and Union on the rubble of the Wells Fargo Center if they ever get a plan for its replacement that isn't hosed to heaven and dead as hell.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

A preemptive gently caress the Astros, and double gently caress Fox for putting the game on FS1 instead of a real channel I can get in my house.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Live from the Shed in Arlington: gently caress the Houston Astros. Let’s loving go Rangers!!!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm already a nervous wreck

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Woooooo gently caress the astros!!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Really hope Scherzer is actually good to go and this isn’t like when they brought Eovaldi back too early in the regular season

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

I'm already a nervous wreck

As you should be :getin:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Really hope Scherzer is actually good to go and this isn’t like when they brought Eovaldi back too early in the regular season

:hmmwrong:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
This announcer that isn't Jon Smoltz kind of reminds me of Steve Gelbs

:ohdear:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm ready for playoff Max Scherzer

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Astros gonna UNLEASH THE FURY

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Gorangers

e: Scherzer looking good so far

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 19, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius