Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I went into the office today. I am supposed to do two days a week, I currently do one. Of the 26 people from my directorate based in my city, I was the only one there. I tried to coordinate my in office day with my coworkers but basically none of them are bothering. Like, at all. There's an excel sheet where everyone is supposed to fill in what days they'll be in the office and I'm the only one from my city bothering. Hooray for mandates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Xguard86 posted:

How do you use GPT?

I've been trying to use more AI in my work but tbh it usually feels like I could just do a lot of things in my job faster and better myself. But maybe I'm using the tools poorly

Helps a lot with stuff like business requirement documents and bullshit boilerplate project management stuff. It's REALLY good at taking transcripts from long boring meetings and making summaries and action item lists. I don't code much, but when I have to, it really helps with TypeScript and SQL queries.

I'm not kidding btw, I'm so overemployed it's insane. I don't understand why everyone that could do it, doesn't

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Friendly reminder is the best because if you have to start your email with that it's only because you've been an absolute unfriendly poo poo in the rest of it.

Especially good if it's something you're bringing up for the first time, as opposed to any sort of reminder.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

docbeard posted:

Especially good if it's something you're bringing up for the first time, as opposed to any sort of reminder.

Once someone submitted an initial request to me and cc’d irrelevant contacts and phrased their email as “just following up.” Infuriating.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Euronymous posted:

Helps a lot with stuff like business requirement documents and bullshit boilerplate project management stuff. It's REALLY good at taking transcripts from long boring meetings and making summaries and action item lists. I don't code much, but when I have to, it really helps with TypeScript and SQL queries.

I'm not kidding btw, I'm so overemployed it's insane. I don't understand why everyone that could do it, doesn't

Makes sense. Back when I was doing program/project management I probably could have done 2 or three jobs. Got a lot of grad school homework done at least.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dpkg chopra posted:

The Mailing Wall

Holy hell

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Our local HR department has become nearly exclusively a party planning committee.

They have been shoveling all routine HR functions onto Workday or back out to the individual departments to the point you could replicate their generalist’s job function with a nice sign that says, 'If you are having trouble with Workday please contact your supervisor.'

This week corporate reorganized global HR and the new org chart has none of them on it lol

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

This week corporate reorganized global HR and the new org chart has none of them on it lol

Do they have to let each other go round robin style until the last one stands, like those peg games at bars?

Or are they all in a conference room together while they all give the same speech together?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Look at it this way, HR being a party planning committee is probably the least amount of damage they can cause on any given day.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

tactlessbastard posted:

Our local HR department has become nearly exclusively a party planning committee.

Maybe it's just my location, but when I hear "Party planning committee", I think of something different than what was probably intended.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Atopian posted:

Maybe it's just my location, but when I hear "Party planning committee", I think of something different than what was probably intended.

I exclusively will always think of this image:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Democratic Pirate posted:

Once someone submitted an initial request to me and cc’d irrelevant contacts and phrased their email as “just following up.” Infuriating.

Quote just the “just following up.”
Reply-all
"No you aren't"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Vasudus posted:

Look at it this way, HR being a party planning committee is probably the least amount of damage they can cause on any given day.

You don't have fun enough parties.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
One problem with the common use of passive aggressive phraseology is that it ruins the sincere use of the same language. I have to have a deliberately weird one-on-one conversation with each coworker to explain that I mean it when I say things like “no pressure.”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've always found that to be an extreme challenge as a manager. A lot of the reports I've had have been very, very slow to grok that when I say things like "no pressure, just get me this at your soonest convenience," or "I will take responsibility for this when I talk to [my boss]" I mean it.

And, I mean, I've worked for many bosses who would say the same things and absolutely not mean it, so I can't blame them. But it's jarring, and even for some people upsetting, adjusting to a boss who talks to them in English, not Weaselese.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've always found that to be an extreme challenge as a manager. A lot of the reports I've had have been very, very slow to grok that when I say things like "no pressure, just get me this at your soonest convenience," or "I will take responsibility for this when I talk to [my boss]" I mean it.

And, I mean, I've worked for many bosses who would say the same things and absolutely not mean it, so I can't blame them. But it's jarring, and even for some people upsetting, adjusting to a boss who talks to them in English, not Weaselese.

Yeah, for sure. I have to have frequent conversations where I'll say "When something is urgent or important I promise it won't be ambiguous"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There's nothing to do for that but put in the time to establish your reputation. And thank you for trying.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

One problem with the common use of passive aggressive phraseology is that it ruins the sincere use of the same language. I have to have a deliberately weird one-on-one conversation with each coworker to explain that I mean it when I say things like “no pressure.”

I make it a point to explicitly say "no is an acceptable response to this request" when it is.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I’ve had no less than three direct reports tell me “when you said you don’t micromanage you meant it”.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Midjack posted:

I make it a point to explicitly say "no is an acceptable response to this request" when it is.

My current skip-level told me that like day 4 of my current role and it took ten tons of stress off my shoulders.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Really, all you can do is make the reputation by acting. Talk is cheap, and everyone has been burned by a bad manager or (being generous) maybe one who meant well but found out the hard way that their spine isn't as sturdy as they thought it was. Once you act, they'll see it. You don't even need to act for each individual report, because your reports will probably talk to each other. Everyone loves a good gossip, and "holy poo poo, Eric fell on his sword for me today," is a good piece of juicy gossip.

Just pair the talk with the action and the rest will sort itself out. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I started writing a pharma story but it spans five years and might end up being a full loving book chapter. Do I :justpost: or is that too long for people's interests? Office politics in hiring, racism, accusations of sexual involvement with a direct report, and a series of well-meaning decisions by managers resulting in kind of lovely outcomes for the direct report.

Any interest? I stopped writing for tonight after realizing maybe nobody wants a loving monster of an office story.

:justpost: or :fuckoff: ?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Atopian posted:

Tovarisch, comrade

Inner Light posted:

I exclusively will always think of this image:

It’s this tho

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

I started writing a pharma story but it spans five years and might end up being a full loving book chapter. Do I :justpost: or is that too long for people's interests? Office politics in hiring, racism, accusations of sexual involvement with a direct report, and a series of well-meaning decisions by managers resulting in kind of lovely outcomes for the direct report.

Any interest? I stopped writing for tonight after realizing maybe nobody wants a loving monster of an office story.

:justpost::posthaste:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sundae posted:

:justpost::posthaste:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Also write the actual book. Fictionalize it of course, but you just might end up with the Kitchen Confidential of pharma.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

mllaneza posted:

Also write the actual book. Fictionalize it of course, but you just might end up with the Kitchen Confidential of pharma.

Bitching Confindianapolis

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sundae posted:

"Hey guys I started writing a masterpiece with all of the things that will make you want to read it, but I don't know if it's just TOO MUCH CONTENT for the thread, maybe I should just post nothing?"

Besides, we already know you wrote many full loving-book chapters, you can give us one where the loving is mostly (but not entirely!) metaphorical.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Sundae posted:

You're not going to use up all the infinite canvas of the internet.
Just post.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Yesterday I got so fed up with what is now about the 5th hour long call (that was supposed to be 30 minutes) going round and round in circles that I just announced "I have to go" in chat and went to the pub.

There are (it seems) two ways to solve a particular problem and nobody can explain what either of the two options mean in practice and what the comparative risks are because both will gently caress something up but maybe one less than the other.

It ends up being the same two people just going back and forth and more and more get dragged into the calls to sit there, then afterwards one will send a huge email of thoughts that doesn't answer any of the questions and another call gets set up to try and make sense of it and here we go again. This has been going on for at least three weeks now.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sundae posted:

if it's gonna literally be a book chapter size you could also make a new thread, if you want

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mllaneza posted:

Extremely this :f5:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Yesterday I got so fed up with what is now about the 5th hour long call (that was supposed to be 30 minutes) going round and round in circles that I just announced "I have to go" in chat and went to the pub.

:hmmyes: Well done, admin

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

pmchem posted:

if it's gonna literally be a book chapter size you could also make a new thread, if you want
This was what I was going to say. Write the stuff, make it it's own thread. Link the thread in a post here.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It ends up being the same two people just going back and forth and more and more get dragged into the calls to sit there, then afterwards one will send a huge email of thoughts that doesn't answer any of the questions and another call gets set up to try and make sense of it and here we go again. This has been going on for at least three weeks now.

That’s hellish. At the next one of these, open it by loudly inquiring “Who has the D?” While everyone is confused and thinks you’re pulling some sort of oblique sexual harassment, explain that you need to identify the Decision maker, in order to make real progress on the call. Then drop at the allocated time saying you trust the Decision maker to come to the right conclusion.

Yes this is real corporate terminology someone shared with me. As seen in the Harvard Business Review: https://hbr.org/2006/01/who-has-the-d-how-clear-decision-roles-enhance-organizational-performance

YMMV

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Really, all you can do is make the reputation by acting. Talk is cheap, and everyone has been burned by a bad manager or (being generous) maybe one who meant well but found out the hard way that their spine isn't as sturdy as they thought it was. Once you act, they'll see it. You don't even need to act for each individual report, because your reports will probably talk to each other. Everyone loves a good gossip, and "holy poo poo, Eric fell on his sword for me today," is a good piece of juicy gossip.

Just pair the talk with the action and the rest will sort itself out. :)

Exactly this. It took me a few months and a few incidents with my reports in this latest role.

And on the flip side I just had one of them come to me to say "I screwed up" with data they/their team provided and that I had already reported to the executive team. We came up with a plan and the information I need to mea culpa it along with a "here's what we've put in place so this never happen again". Because of this 2-way trust neither of us will get any crap as I make this notification before anyone even realizes there was a mistake to begin with.

Treating professionals and adults like professionals and adults. Who would have figured this would work out for everyone?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

brainwrinkle posted:

That’s hellish. At the next one of these, open it by loudly inquiring “Who has the D?” While everyone is confused and thinks you’re pulling some sort of oblique sexual harassment, explain that you need to identify the Decision maker, in order to make real progress on the call. Then drop at the allocated time saying you trust the Decision maker to come to the right conclusion.

Yes this is real corporate terminology someone shared with me. As seen in the Harvard Business Review: https://hbr.org/2006/01/who-has-the-d-how-clear-decision-roles-enhance-organizational-performance

YMMV

yeah decision rights are good to think about

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

brainwrinkle posted:

YMMV

Funnily enough this is kind of what I said; "if you're giving two options then either you make the decision and explain why so that we have justification when it inevitably causes a problem, *or* you explain what will happen in either case clearly so that someone else can make that decision".

Instead we just have "well maybe this or that or this but maybe that but neither but maybe *other thing that someone else jumps in on and says won't work*" and round and round.

For today I just decided to ignore the whole thing and do something else.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Has anyone else been getting smoke signals from execs that they are starting to expect a downturn from the recent US House of Rep clusterfuck? We had an all hands meeting the other day with them talking about reduced future profits and bonuses, and last time we had an all hands it was all "great year, big numbers, expecting another pile of high bonuses". I'm just kind of curious seeing as the current CR has about ~4 weeks left. Company people didn't give a reason, I'm just speculating for a potential cause. Anecdotally, I also noticed a couple of companies I regularly check for job openings went from some to zero in the last few days.

Lot of seeing patterns that might be unrelated and speculation here, so feel free to blow up this hypothetical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

downout posted:

Has anyone else been getting smoke signals from execs that they are starting to expect a downturn from the recent US House of Rep clusterfuck? We had an all hands meeting the other day with them talking about reduced future profits and bonuses

I can cut you off there. They just want bigger yachts, and they'll do it by cutting your bonus.