Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah its on Prime AZ and NZ.. the ol VPN works.

Anyways, good writing, action can get a bit silly, but what else you gonna do give the circumstances.

(This post is about Pantheon Season 2 a show you should watch).

Edit - Also Excited for Scavengers Reign on Thursday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWQH8cMpWTU

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Soonmot posted:

Thanks for talking about Krapopolis, I'm enjoying it. I do have to say though, Matt Berry really sounds like he's phoning it in. Has he done any voice work before? You compare his character here with Lazlo and the delivery is so flat.

Matt Berry has done a ton of voice over work and can give an amazing performance with vocals alone, so if he sounds like he's phoning it in I contribute that more to bad directing then any issue on his part. If you tell him what to do he can do it, but he can't put in the work without proper instructions first.

Although in the case of Krapopolis I think his performance is a deliberate stylistic choice that fits both the show and the character. Lazlo is dramatic and passionate while Shlub is more laid back and chill, it's the same voice doing a different personality.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Scorpo-dad is the best character.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I dunno, there's stylistic voice acting choices and then there's "nobody actually feels like a part of the scenes they're in". It's bad direction, honestly.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m caught up on Krapopolis and episodes 3/4 are just as hot garbage as the first two

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all i know about Krapopolis is that Richard Ayoade is the protag, and he recently endorsed graham linehan's woe is me book about being cancelled by the evil Big Trans, so i'm not interested in hearing his voice for a while

well the other thing i knew about Krapopolis was the NFT stuff but i have no idea how that played out

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As far as I can tell the NFT stuff doesn't actually factor into the show itself. Like there's no mention of it or anything like that in the stories.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

all i know about Krapopolis is that Richard Ayoade is the protag, and he recently endorsed graham linehan's woe is me book about being cancelled by the evil Big Trans, so i'm not interested in hearing his voice for a while
THIS. His delivery in this show also honestly fukken sucks and could have been given to someone far more interesting than the monotone disgust we get.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i've been watching some pantheon after reading about it in the thread, but man, all the voices in season one sound like they all got together in discord to record their performances

i'm assuming it happened during covid, but it just sounds so bad

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kliras posted:

i've been watching some pantheon after reading about it in the thread, but man, all the voices in season one sound like they all got together in discord to record their performances

i'm assuming it happened during covid, but it just sounds so bad

Mic quality or performance quality?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Open Source Idiom posted:

Mic quality or performance quality?
just recording. both the mic and the ambient surroundings sound completely different for each person

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
All my Animation Zoomer friends are talking about this pilot so I decided to give it a watch. Unmistakably amateurish (sort of moves like the Garfield show) but super impressive. Watch it before the mix of high-concept dark comedy, approachable character designs, and Lore turn it into the next Heckin Pibbly Glitch
https://youtu.be/HwAPLk_sQ3w

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

mutantIke posted:

All my Animation Zoomer friends are talking about this pilot so I decided to give it a watch. Unmistakably amateurish (sort of moves like the Garfield show) but super impressive. Watch it before the mix of high-concept dark comedy, approachable character designs, and Lore turn it into the next Heckin Pibbly Glitch

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

lol at the episode of Adventure Time that ends with Finn and Jake just straight murdering a deer by bashing its brains out with cinder blocks.

Was that the one with the immensely creepy deer with fingers?

That whole episode was hosed up.

It was great.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

apatheticman posted:

Edit - Also Excited for Scavengers Reign on Thursday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWQH8cMpWTU

Did this series come out of one of the Love Death & Robots shorts?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Did this series come out of one of the Love Death & Robots shorts?

No, it was an Adult Swim thing that apparently got moved to just Max.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Destiny Gang, especially Big D, from Finn the Human feel like they're from Regular Show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Either that or like, King Star King or something

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

i'm super sorry bros

i'm gonna have to give fionna and cake a b minus

simon petrikov turned out to be a pretty boring character.
wanted more fionna, she was an afterthoughht, and cake kind of came off like an rear end in a top hat.
growing up is the message, i guess.....like....accepting limitations, our born prison as natural...cool theme
fun to see a few alt versions of the classic gang? yeah. plot was at least followable, yeah.

but overall i dunno. the direction of growth for the AT crew and mine have diverged.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mutantIke posted:

oh hey, i remember gooseworx from their Little Runmo short. good stuff

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

i'm super sorry bros

i'm gonna have to give fionna and cake a b minus

simon petrikov turned out to be a pretty boring character.
wanted more fionna, she was an afterthoughht, and cake kind of came off like an rear end in a top hat.
growing up is the message, i guess.....like....accepting limitations, our born prison as natural...cool theme
fun to see a few alt versions of the classic gang? yeah. plot was at least followable, yeah.

but overall i dunno. the direction of growth for the AT crew and mine have diverged.

The message I felt was coming to terms with loss, addiction and making the most of your circumstances with the time you have left but maybe that's just me.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

mutantIke posted:

Oh Hell Yeah! I love the Amazing Digital Circus! I love the humor, the designs, the characters, everything about it is such wonderful brightly colored existential horror

My theory is none of them can ever escape because they aren't real people, they're digital copies of the brains of real people and poorly made digital brain scans at that which is why they can't remember their original names. So real world human Pomni is fine, but brain scan computer Pomni who was born when her human self put on the headset is stuck having an existential crisis forever with the rest of the gang. Also, Pomni is apparently Russian for "Remember", that feels symbolic probably.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Whoa hey didn't realize we had Matpat in chatpat

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm really not into the whole "children's entertainment but it's actually horror so all the weird archaic things that don't make sense in children's entertainment is actually uncanny valley", but there's sure a lot of that stuff out there.

Zooming out from that, it sure is nice that there's a lot of independent animation projects out there, not really sure many of them are going to be full successes, or whether there's going to be a widely applicable business model to come out of the wave.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Amazing Digital Circus has some promise, I think. Seems like a nice pilot and concept but suffers from really slow pacing and sluggish comic timing. One of the consistent problem of digital-first independent stuff is lax editing and this isn't an exception. But that could all change if it starts to produce seasons in earnest and gets more confident in its voice.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh Hell Yeah! I love the Amazing Digital Circus! I love the humor, the designs, the characters, everything about it is such wonderful brightly colored existential horror

My theory is none of them can ever escape because they aren't real people, they're digital copies of the brains of real people and poorly made digital brain scans at that which is why they can't remember their original names. So real world human Pomni is fine, but brain scan computer Pomni who was born when her human self put on the headset is stuck having an existential crisis forever with the rest of the gang. Also, Pomni is apparently Russian for "Remember", that feels symbolic probably.

Yeah it's 100% some SOMA stuff going on and I'm definitely here for it.

On an unrelated note I finally got around to the Ferengi homeworld episode of Lower Decks. I was not prepared for the highlight of their entertainment media being A trashy police procedural called 'Pog and Dar: Cop Landlords' but that extremely scans.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

Surely the arc is more about fixing the world you're in rather than trying to escape to another? Most of the arc is about various characters fighting against authority and winning, and while Simon has to accept there are some things you can't change (death!) the other characters discover there are things they can, which ultimately leads to a significant change in the status quo of Fionna And Cake's world by the end of the piece. Their world becomes significantly weirder by the end of the piece, as do they. It's empowering.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Circus thing is pretty good. I look forward to more in 3 to 5 years.

I also finished Pantheon season 2 and what I can only imagine is the series as a whole given how it ends. I think I liked the ending? I didn’t dislike it and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t bad. Good series overall, you don’t get enough “hey you should probably just talk” and them actually goddamn talk. Also, DBZ battles. One thing sticks in my craw though, they never address the Israel and Iran dudes fusing. I kind of wonder if that all got cut at the last minute due to current world events. I also need to go see when some of this was written as they bring up recent world events in season 2 that I don’t recall being mentioned in season 1.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Amazing Digital Circus has some promise, I think. Seems like a nice pilot and concept but suffers from really slow pacing and sluggish comic timing. One of the consistent problem of digital-first independent stuff is lax editing and this isn't an exception. But that could all change if it starts to produce seasons in earnest and gets more confident in its voice.

Extremely this on the sluggish pacing and having the comic timing just not land.

How many times do we need to just stare into her bug eyes as she stares blankly in horror? It extremely diminishes any of the impact that kind of shot has if you do it every few minutes, especially after everything is so telegraphed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

No, it was an Adult Swim thing that apparently got moved to just Max.

Ah, I remembered the 'pilot' from 4 years ago, but forgot where I actually saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRzemJbUsw

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Warbird posted:

The Circus thing is pretty good. I look forward to more in 3 to 5 years.

I also finished Pantheon season 2 and what I can only imagine is the series as a whole given how it ends. I think I liked the ending? I didn’t dislike it and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t bad. Good series overall, you don’t get enough “hey you should probably just talk” and them actually goddamn talk. Also, DBZ battles. One thing sticks in my craw though, they never address the Israel and Iran dudes fusing. I kind of wonder if that all got cut at the last minute due to current world events. I also need to go see when some of this was written as they bring up recent world events in season 2 that I don’t recall being mentioned in season 1.

They show up as the orange colored CI during the fight with Stephen Holstrom

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Laserhawk is also out now. Apparently it has a bunch of Ubisoft characters showing up in it from a lot of their franchises.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm really not into the whole "children's entertainment but it's actually horror so all the weird archaic things that don't make sense in children's entertainment is actually uncanny valley", but there's sure a lot of that stuff out there.

It's a cheap way to make something seem more disturbing by contrast, like having your villain kick a puppy or not tip in a restaurant. I've seen in done well (Straub's Candle Cove and Show For Children, Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, and (supposedly, haven't seen it yet) Welcome Home immediately spring to mind), but it's definitely something that gives me pause about a work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Zooming out from that, it sure is nice that there's a lot of independent animation projects out there, not really sure many of them are going to be full successes, or whether there's going to be a widely applicable business model to come out of the wave.

Yeah I'm usually all about stories like this but something's just not clicking to me. Maybe because it doesn't feel like there's an end game. Like, maybe if they teased the exit but didn't show it to be bullshit? As it stands it seems like the only end is maybe they make contact with the outside world and/or the game turns off (if the last shot is what they're going with)? Maybe they do like that one episode of Black Mirror where the trapped game characters escape onto the freedom of the internet?

It feels very Hazbin Hotel in that there's a bunch of characters with a whole bunch of merch already out and a lot of people are going crazy with fanart and stuff.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neito posted:

It's a cheap way to make something seem more disturbing by contrast, like having your villain kick a puppy or not tip in a restaurant. I've seen in done well (Straub's Candle Cove and Show For Children, Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, and (supposedly, haven't seen it yet) Welcome Home immediately spring to mind), but it's definitely something that gives me pause about a work.

Welcome Home is great, but it's not a cartoon it's a website based arg: https://www.clownillustration.com/welcomehomeyou

You click around and discover stuff old school style. It's still in development, but it's clearly a real labor of love for the artist behind it and has already become extremely popular.

https://twitter.com/_PartyCoffin_/status/1500254284503392256?t=t01mDPWaym35pzUk59grrw&s=19

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Welcome Home is great, but it's not a cartoon it's a website based arg: https://www.clownillustration.com/welcomehomeyou

You click around and discover stuff old school style. It's still in development, but it's clearly a real labor of love for the artist behind it and has already become extremely popular.

I know, I just wanted to find a non-DHMIS, non-Kris Straub production to put on the list and it was the best example I had at the top of my head.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
AQUA TEEN RETURNS 11/26

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
On further review, The Amazing Digital Circus's teeth guy is way too much both script wise and being too ugly to the point it's distracting. Also his voice.

KORNOLOGY fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 19, 2023

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Impermanent posted:

Pilots are usually kinda iffy on alot of things tone and writing wise in any medium but it's got like 11 million views in like 5 days so we'll probably be seeing something from this in the next few years even if it isn't a full show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
But God speed to any animation studio that gets a season.