Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Inkspot posted:

Aggressively mid. Goliath is currently on not-trial to prove that Gargoyles are sentient.

Well are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Inconclusive. But they turn to stone during the day so that's worth getting riled up about for some reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Inkspot posted:

Inconclusive. But they turn to stone during the day so that's worth getting riled up about for some reason.

Weisman doing his version of mutants as oppressed minority?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I have bad vibes about Greg Weisman getting to revisit his old projects for his eternal plans ever since Young Justice got resurrected at a time when the world at large was going to hell.

Junpei posted:

some friends and I joked about how much overlap it has with TMNT in terms of premise: An all-male team of inhuman characters (consisting of an older mentor figure, the group's leader, The Cool One who's red, the group nerd and the fun-loving slightly childish one) team up with a down-to-earth human female who gets into criminal situations often because of her job to stop evil.

(Yes I'm aware it's not perfect, Demona shatters the 'all-male' part, it was a goof)

TMNT had Venus de Milo. But I'm not sure the 80s series ever had a big female villain.

Goliath has a lot more character as the leader than Leonardo did in most TMNT series, but Gargoyles feels grim enough at times that it makes even 2003 TMNT look upbeat.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dawgstar posted:

Weisman doing his version of mutants as oppressed minority?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

Aside from Ed Asner who’s no longer with us most of the Gargoyle VAs are still working in the industry these days (I’m sure Keith David would probably be willing to reprise his role at least). Hell, give Jonathan Frakes a slight shave and he could probably pull off a decent live action Xanatos (though he might be a bit old now)

Obviously have him play Xanatos' dad

Dawgstar posted:

I've seen be understandably torn on loving Eliza as representation but also she's a cop.

I'm willing to let it slide since its a show made and set in the 90's, I imagine if this live action show actually does get made they'll give her a new job instead

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xanatos' dad was the best character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like I have bad vibes about Greg Weisman getting to revisit his old projects for his eternal plans ever since Young Justice got resurrected at a time when the world at large was going to hell.

Maybe this time it'll work the other way around!

*Gargoyles episode 1 comes out, nukes are immediately launched around the world*

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I AM GRANDO posted:

Xanatos' dad was the best character.

“Yeah you made a time loop in order to be the direct cause of your own wealth, am I supposed to be impressed?”

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh great another life action thing where the cgi and color grading strip away everything that made the original great.

lol at the cartoon medium ghetto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The third and final season of Hilda will at long last drop on December 7th:

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/hilda-season-3-everything-we-know-09-2023/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

I'm willing to let it slide since its a show made and set in the 90's, I imagine if this live action show actually does get made they'll give her a new job instead

But then we wouldn't get an episode about Brooklyn shooting her with her own gun.

Honestly, make her a firefighter or paramedic and you wouldn't lose much.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Actually it was Broadway

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh, right. My point stands.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

After finishing Steven Universe, I rewatched Over the Garden Wall, which is still great and fitting for this time of year. There are youtube videos that go into all the references and media they pulled from to inspire the series, but it's delivered by presenters who sound like they're making a checklist instead of appreciating what it is about those references that give the show its unique tone. I need some old art history professor to do a lecture on that show with real appreciation.

I'm now trying out Owl House, Gravity Falls, and Amphibia as they were all recommended. I've watched 2 episodes of Owl House and I think I'll definitely continue. I wish the style was a bit more anime because it would fit the tone and make the action pop a bit (the crew can move the characters well, but if they were a bit more realistically designed it would look cooler.) I've gone through 3 eps of Gravity Falls and while i think it will continue to place wacky hijinks, humor, and mystery over any sort of larger emotional payoff, it's good fun. I've only seen 1 episode of Amphibia and I'm not sure I want to watch an entire show about slimy frog creatures. They're a bit gross. Maybe if they were wearing fun outfits like the frogs in Over the Garden Wall.

Oh I also watched all of Bee and Puppycat on Netflix. What a strange gem of a show. Bizarre final episode. Not sure it sat right with me, but it was interesting to watch something that felt like a cartoon network show one moment and Ranma or a Masaaki Yuasa movie the next.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

After finishing Steven Universe, I rewatched Over the Garden Wall, which is still great and fitting for this time of year. There are youtube videos that go into all the references and media they pulled from to inspire the series, but it's delivered by presenters who sound like they're making a checklist instead of appreciating what it is about those references that give the show its unique tone. I need some old art history professor to do a lecture on that show with real appreciation.

I'm now trying out Owl House, Gravity Falls, and Amphibia as they were all recommended. I've watched 2 episodes of Owl House and I think I'll definitely continue. I wish the style was a bit more anime because it would fit the tone and make the action pop a bit (the crew can move the characters well, but if they were a bit more realistically designed it would look cooler.) I've gone through 3 eps of Gravity Falls and while i think it will continue to place wacky hijinks, humor, and mystery over any sort of larger emotional payoff, it's good fun. I've only seen 1 episode of Amphibia and I'm not sure I want to watch an entire show about slimy frog creatures. They're a bit gross. Maybe if they were wearing fun outfits like the frogs in Over the Garden Wall.

Oh I also watched all of Bee and Puppycat on Netflix. What a strange gem of a show. Bizarre final episode. Not sure it sat right with me, but it was interesting to watch something that felt like a cartoon network show one moment and Ranma or a Masaaki Yuasa movie the next.

Owl House certainly draws you in better than Amphibia, but both shows are definitely "stick with it for an amazing journey" affairs. If you haven't seen it already, I'd also recommend the 2017 DuckTales reboot. It was really well done as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I imagine a 2023 Gargoyles would just have Elisa and Bluestone as part of a group of clean cops fighting corruption in the department, and at some point they get the crooked chief and senior officers busted and there’s a running subplot about the department rebuilding trust with the community.

Boring and still propaganda, but I can see it happening. Maybe her brother is a “radical” activist and tries to get her to realize that the nypd are racist and she finally does after discovering the local precinct is involved in him getting turned into a cool flying panther guy.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ccs posted:

I wish the style was a bit more anime because it would fit the tone and make the action pop a bit (the crew can move the characters well, but if they were a bit more realistically designed it would look cooler.)

I assure you, this will not be a problem as you keep going. The animation goes hard when it needs to.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The animation in owl house is very technically proficient but in my opinion the action choreography never really rises to the levels it needs to reach. It's got a big cast of characters with unique powers but misses many opportunities to use those powers to characterize them. There are exceptions but they should be the rule.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, make her a firefighter or paramedic and you wouldn't lose much.

Reporter would be my pick, even if it pushes into Lois Lane territory.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Reporter would be my pick, even if it pushes into Lois Lane territory.

or as my comparison earlier would reflect, April O'Neil territory

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope CN run the Over The Garden Wall livestream on YouTube again this year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Private detective is maybe due for a comeback.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

I imagine a 2023 Gargoyles would just have Elisa and Bluestone as part of a group of clean cops fighting corruption in the department, and at some point they get the crooked chief and senior officers busted and there’s a running subplot about the department rebuilding trust with the community.

Boring and still propaganda, but I can see it happening. Maybe her brother is a “radical” activist and tries to get her to realize that the nypd are racist and she finally does after discovering the local precinct is involved in him getting turned into a cool flying panther guy.

I mean, consider who the main villain is. The fact that she's a cop makes it more likely that she'd be forced to rely on a bunch of ancient Scottish rock-monsters to make meaningful progress against one of New York's most powerful billionaires, not less. Her entire damned department is going to be on Xanatos's payroll - and if they're not, they'll be working for someone even worse.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Cops are allowed to not be bastards in fiction

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Cops are allowed to not be bastards in fiction

Yeah that's how you know it's not real! :rimshot:

nine-gear crow posted:

Owl House certainly draws you in better than Amphibia, but both shows are definitely "stick with it for an amazing journey" affairs. If you haven't seen it already, I'd also recommend the 2017 DuckTales reboot. It was really well done as well.

Yeah I would definitely encourage sticking with Amphibia, as I was also kind of turned off on the pilot but after about... I don't know, halfway into season 1 maybe, it easily became my favorite between it and TOH.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Being the one good cop in the insanely horrible NYPD offers up a lot of classic Gargoyles-style plot hooks, though, like Xanatos expanding his power over the city by launching a public campaign against police corruption that she's reluctantly forced to go along with because he really is the lesser of two evils.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
FWIW I did a season and a half of Amphibia and I never thought it really improved that much. For a show that's mostly sitcom antics I didn't think it was that funny and the morality play element was handled in ways I found really grating and didactic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Amphibia picks up around the middle of the second season in my opinion (though I personally enjoyed the first as well). But yeah, if you’re not down with the more episodic stuff at the beginning I agree the show can be hard to get into.

Speaking of TOH has there been any further news lately on the new show one of the staff members is working on called Neon Galaxy?

Also besides the final season of Hilda in December are there any other new animated shows on the horizon worth keeping an eye on?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Hilda, here’s a new poster:

https://twitter.com/thatlukeperson/status/1703765444870406249

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So after a lot of lollygagging, I finally resumed my efforts in continuing to finish my rewatch of Justice League Unlimited and just wrapped up the Cadmus Ark. I was going to make a much longer far more comprehensive summary / review post once I finish the series but I just felt compelled to talk about this.

so the last episode I saw was one of my favorites, which was the episode where Hawkman is introduced and tells Shayera/Hawkgirl that the two of them may be reincarnated thanagarians who crash landed in Egypt thousands of years ago. But the reason I bring up this episode in particular is because of an otherwise throwaway comedic couple of lines from Batman earlier on. Hawkman wants to go on a dinner date with Shayera, and both Batman and Green Lantern are distrustful of him. Nobody in the league knows that this dude is Hawkman in the beginning, so Batman does a background check and finds out that this guy is a little bit more than obsessed with Shayera, to say the least. so when trying to warn Shayera that this dude might be a stalker Batman points out how after doing a lot of digging he discovered that he's been banned from several Hawkgirl message boards because he kept getting into too many flame wars with people who were insulting her.

I know this might seem quaint right now in the year 2023 in a world well familiarized with the likes of Facebook, Reddit and Twitter, but back around 2005 the concept of an online message board was still a fairly new and niche thing. I remember we all had a nice laugh over the mentioning of forum culture in a cartoon back then, especially one as fairly high status as Justice League. But I also bring this up because Hawkman, while he was definitely obsessed with Shayera, he wasn't one of those “I want to wear her skin” types. the guy genuinely loved her and for all intents and purposes came off as a completely normal, charming and laid back guy. which makes what Batman pointed out even more hilarious in my opinion. I can't help but chuckle at the idea that someone as straight laced as him would be flipping his poo poo at internet trolls saying something like “hawkgirl sux lol”, with him angrily replying “HAWK GIRL IS A SAINT, YOU COWARDS!!!” or something to that effect.

Just thought I'd share that :unsmith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On a meta level it’s probably also the show commenting on years of misogynistic comments about Hawkgirl on toonzone or wherever else people posted then.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
People liked hawkgirl more in the show when they got rid of the really dumb helmet

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

People liked hawkgirl more in the show when they got rid of the really dumb helmet

It's funny her outfit after the two-parter is basically sportswear.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 21, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hawkgirl was always weird on the show because all the other JLA members had their backstories explored early on or had been explored on previous shows, but she's just some kind of alien bird girl?

And then when they had the big reveal about her, she got more interesting, but the fact that she was apparently a long-term sleeper agent makes you think maybe people should've been asking more questions about her.

Mr Interweb posted:

I know this might seem quaint right now in the year 2023 in a world well familiarized with the likes of Facebook, Reddit and Twitter, but back around 2005 the concept of an online message board was still a fairly new and niche thing.

It really wasn't. Usenet had been around since 1980, although only really accessible by weird subset of nerds until around 1993. Here's an old guy's account of his experience with the early early days when he didn't actually have internet access, but knew a guy who would share internet printouts with him. He worked on a 2000s version of the Metaverse.

For more context, here's Animaniacs doing its take on internet nerds at around 1994. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJ6dFwh8a4 I'm not sure that the 90s Animaniacs writers particularly had much personal experience being in online messageboards, but they would've had a lot of interactions with nerds who did a whole lot on online messageboards. The only TV creator I know was definitely on message boards back in the early early days is J. Michael Stravzynski, creator of Babylon 5. There's a website that catalogues old newsgroup discussions and JMS was online to a fault in the mid 90s. http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/help.html#general

By 2005, online message boards (like this one) were not only old, but soon would start dying. Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter kinda heralded a new age of internet socialization where people wouldn't flit from message board to message board in that way anymore (and have to be banned separately by each message board individually), because they have the idea of people using one account for everything, maybe even using their real name.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

On a meta level it’s probably also the show commenting on years of misogynistic comments about Hawkgirl on toonzone or wherever else people posted then.

did people really poo poo on hawkgirl back then? i mean, i wouldn't be surprised but thankfully didn't encounter any of that

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hawkgirl was always weird on the show because all the other JLA members had their backstories explored early on or had been explored on previous shows, but she's just some kind of alien bird girl?

And then when they had the big reveal about her, she got more interesting, but the fact that she was apparently a long-term sleeper agent makes you think maybe people should've been asking more questions about her.

yeah i was thinking the same. JL/JLU did a lot of great work fleshing out characters but hawkgirl's origins definitely needed more screen time.

quote:

It really wasn't. Usenet had been around since 1980, although only really accessible by weird subset of nerds until around 1993. Here's an old guy's account of his experience with the early early days when he didn't actually have internet access, but knew a guy who would share internet printouts with him. He worked on a 2000s version of the Metaverse.

For more context, here's Animaniacs doing its take on internet nerds at around 1994. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJ6dFwh8a4 I'm not sure that the 90s Animaniacs writers particularly had much personal experience being in online messageboards, but they would've had a lot of interactions with nerds who did a whole lot on online messageboards. The only TV creator I know was definitely on message boards back in the early early days is J. Michael Stravzynski, creator of Babylon 5. There's a website that catalogues old newsgroup discussions and JMS was online to a fault in the mid 90s. http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/help.html#general

By 2005, online message boards (like this one) were not only old, but soon would start dying. Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter kinda heralded a new age of internet socialization where people wouldn't flit from message board to message board in that way anymore (and have to be banned separately by each message board individually), because they have the idea of people using one account for everything, maybe even using their real name.

yeah thinking about it you're right about all that. i didn't forget about that animaniacs episode but at least when it came to having that type of thing mentioned in media, in my experience it seemed extremely limited, which is why i thought the JLU episode was noteworthy

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how JLU eventually brought in Hawkman and came up with a mix of Golden Age and Silver Age backstories to properly convey just how goddamn confusing Hawkman has been as a character.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The last season of JLU was amazing because it showed the flexibility of the writers room. They were 90% sure they were getting cancelled after the first season which is why it wraps up with the Batman Beyond finale. But instead of just blindly holding course and going "even harder" after getting a surprise green light for another 13 episodes, they go "gently caress it" and retool the show in a silver-age direction while still deftly maintaining the character development of the previous 3 seasons of JL.

Also, it gave us the world of cardboard speech. :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
People complain about Superman wantonly destroying buildings in Man of Steel, which he doesn't do, but everybody loves world of cardboard speech, where he actually does destroy multiple seemingly fully operational skyscrapers because Darkseid can take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

People complain about Superman wantonly destroying buildings in Man of Steel, which he doesn't do, but everybody loves world of cardboard speech, where he actually does destroy multiple seemingly fully operational skyscrapers because Darkseid can take it

It's because Superman is sad in Man of Steel while buildings fall around him.
JLU Superman is all "suck on my fist!" Also, he doesn't actually topple anything. Darkseid just flies through four or five buildings, then flattened into a street intersection. It's obvious Supes saw those floors were empty on a Sunday morning. :colbert: