Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Paracaidas posted:

Hard disagree. Cannot fathom the courts waiting to take up restrictions on the speech of a major presidential candidate until after the trial, particularly when the restrictions extend beyond the walls of the courthouse.

Provided there is an appeal and it is heard, NEBRASKA PRESS ASSN. et al. v. STUART, JUDGE, et al covers the factors to consider well (context is more directly to pretrial publicity)

So, the questions to keep in mind as you compare the final order to Justice's request:
  • Can the impact of the speech be adequately addressed after it's made?
  • Could something else that is less burdensome have gotten to the same result?
  • Will restricting this actually lead to a more fair trial?
  • Is there a less burdensome version of this restriction that would still achieve its purpose?

I have in drafts a much deeper dive into Parloff (lawfare)'s livetweeting but the value didn't seem to merit the length and the tweet volume. If there's a specific bit of interest, I can dredge it out (recognizing that I'm not particularly capable or qualified to dive deep on something that's already getting every qualified legal pundit's attention).

Overall, my read from Gaston today is that Justice fell back into its rut on civil liberties: Support until it's inconvenient. Lauro did Trump no favors with his absolutism, though narrowing this gag likely isn't a priority, and it seems like the post about the Judge's clerk in NY and Milley were Chutkan's biggest motivators. Worth noting that Lauro's answer to all the points listed above is that the trial can just be delayed til after the election and that's the least restrictive way to address the government’s concerns. Chutkan was, as ever, not biting.

Thanks for the notes.

Here's the actual order from Chutkan, it's very short.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149.105.0_1.pdf

Would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Most relevant part seems to be:

quote:

Circuit Courts in both United States v. Brown and United States v. Ford recognized that First Amendment rights must yield to the imperative of a fair trial. 218 F.3d 415, 424 (2000); 830 F.2d 596, 599 (1987). Unlike the district courts in those cases, however, this court has found that even amidst his political campaign, Defendant’s statements pose sufficiently grave threats to the integrity of these proceedings that cannot be addressed by alternative means, and it has tailored its order to meet the force of those threats. Brown, 218 F.3d at 428–30; Ford, 830 F.2d at 600. Thus, limited restrictions on extrajudicial statements are justified here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Kavros posted:

It doesn't matter to the overall strategy, which is to:

- give them considerable patience and leeway
- make all appearances of absolute and sometimes overly generous forgiveness to the defendant's wildest impulses
- make sure everything is being done by the book and with no conceivable appearances of antagonism by the court

while this can drive outside observers crazy (myself included, I want trump spending nights in jail for obvious contempt already) it pays off in sealing shut as many potential doors to appeal as possible by leaving a long, consistent, documented history of the court being entirely reasonable and patient and not even the remote appearance of frustration or retaliatory action

the best individual court case I can point to for watching it at play was the darrell brooks trial
I saw this first hand as a jurist in a Federal trial earlier this year where the defendant defended themself.

It. Was. Infuriating.

Between their idiotic questions (which at best, did nothing and at worst actively worked against them), the judge entertaining nearly all of their motions, and nearly thirty trial pauses over five days to have the jury leave so matters could be discussed without us, it was almost intolerable. It seemed like such an egregious, obscene waste of my time.

My saving grace was a nearly hour long commute where I could talk myself off the cliff and realize/remind myself that "this is all being done to have an airtight, solid, non-mistrial, appeal-free (as possible) trial".

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mdemone posted:

Thanks for the notes.

Here's the actual order from Chutkan, it's very short.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149.105.0_1.pdf

Would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Most relevant part seems to be:
May not have differentiated my post well enough - only "hard disagree"-"courthouse walls" was aimed at your comment, the rest was more of a general dump... apologies if that came off otherwise.

As a layidiot: I think Chutkan did an admirable job of trimming down a disappointingly broad request from Justice and align more with her order than with Gaston's arguments. I think it's much more likely to survive appeal than rubberstamping Justice's ask or some of what's been proposed in the thread. To the extent there's risk (beyond throwing out precedent and process to protect Trump), I think a reasonable appellate or SCOTUS judge could feel the bolded below is too wide a range and inappropriately conflates the Milley tweets with less objectionable ones

quote:

Defendant has made those statements to national audiences using language communicating not merely that he believes the process to be illegitimate, but also that particular individuals involved in it are liars, or “thugs,” or deserve death. Id.; ECF No. 64 at 9–10. The court finds that such statements pose a significant and immediate risk that (1) witnesses will be intimidated or otherwise unduly influenced by the prospect of being themselves targeted for harassment or threats; and (2)attorneys, public servants, and other court staff will themselves become targets for threats and harassment.
Particularly given her focus on labeling people "thug" as a motivator for violent action.

The other thing that surprises me a bit is that she accepts an argument from Justice that borders on a hecklers veto, levying a restriction on Trump because of others' reaction to his speech. The more common version of this is that if a campus can't bar Richard Spencer from speaking due to the inflammatory nature of his content, they also cannot ban him due to the expected reactions of others to his inflammatory content ('security risks'). My wild rear end guess is that from how she referenced the NY Clerk post in both the order and the hearing (with special attention to how it occurred after Justice filed here), we'd have seen a more incremental order had he kept that an inside thought. I think those aspects will hold up - there's ample case law that, though still presumed unconstitutional, prior restraint is permissible when necessary for the fair and orderly administration of justice. If the intimidation is jeopardizing that, she can only restrict the parties, not the howling mob. To the extent there's risk on this, it's an (somewhat legitimate) argument that the restriction will be ineffective - that anyone could dig through the NY Clerk's socials to find a picture with Schumer and that a Trump child, speaker of the House, or disgraced former Fox host could amplify that post absent instruction from Trump and the intimidation will occur anyway.

Worth noting that she has been explicit (as Smith was in the indictment) on what is unquestionably protected:

quote:

This Order shall not be construed to prohibit Defendant from making statements criticizing the government generally, including the current administration or the Department of Justice; statements asserting that Defendant is innocent of the charges against him, or that his prosecution is politically motivated; or statements criticizing the campaign platforms or policies of Defendant’s current political rivals, such as former Vice President Pence.

A rational boundary pusher here would test the extent to which he can impugn Pence's character as a qualification for office before it crosses the line, but history suggests he'll violate in a much dumber way first.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
https://themessenger.com/politics/mcafee-chesebro-powell-motions-dismiss-trial-georgia

Judge McAfee denied most of Powells and Chesebro motions to dismiss in one fell swoop and now were waiting on his order regarding their first amendment claims.

Not sure if that’s a bad sign that they are in a separate order or if that doesn’t really mean anything other than he wanted it separate so that the appeal wouldn’t get to tangled.

Edit: Meanwhile in NY, https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/trump-fraud-trial/?id=103642561#104048082

quote:

Larson's name appears across five years of Donald Trump's financial documents, according to records entered into evidence.
Spreadsheets entered as evidence explicitly reference multiple phone calls with Larson between 2013 and 2017.
When asked about these phone calls in court, Larson testified that no such conversations occurred.
“Is it fair to say that Mr. Trump valued Trump Tower at $526 million in conjunction with you?” state attorney Mark Ladov asked Larson.
“No, that is incorrect,” Larson said.
“Were you aware that Mr. McConney was citing you as a valuation source in his work papers?” Ladov asked.
“No, I was not," replied Larson, who said he did not assist Trump Organization executives in valuing Trump Tower, Niketown, or 40 Wall Street, despite Trump's paperwork referencing him as a source.

Seems bad to reference a source who denies having ever participated.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 18, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zoeb posted:

Truth be told I'm actually completely terrified of him becoming president again.

Same. It's loving horrifying.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm not trans and don't know what it's like to live in that kind of fear. I'm sorry it's like this and many people across the world support and affirm your existence at a bare minimum every day.

From my perspective, Trump has a slim chance to win. He's a three time loser with multiple state and federal level cases levied against him. His fan base is loud but, in my perspective, shrinking. Biden hasn't been a bad president by any means and as the incumbent has an advantage.

Of course anything could happen, but I wanted to share my perspective in case there's a chance it's useful.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The chance is low, but the impact of the result is high, so I’m not gonna blame anyone for panicking.

Hell, I’ll be unaffected directly by anything Trump does but I’m still panicking about whether this is at all the country I want my kid to grow up in. My sincere sympathy and empathy to those whose lives will be directly made worse.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Paracaidas posted:

A friendly reminder that The GOP primary thread and USCE are both threads where polling and election chat are much more relevant to the thread's topics. Someone might even consider rebooting 2020's (lightly cursed) Polliwanks thread

While I'd love Trump's poll numbers and electoral chances to be tied to his legal issues, we don't seem to be that lucky so the topic is probably better suited for discussion elsewhere.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Seems Trump posted a link to a Laura Loomer substack article that doxxs Letitia James.
We'll probably find out tomorrow whether this violates the gag order.

"The post linked to a Substack article published by Loomer that sketches out a tenuous link between James and "Christian J. French, The Trump hating COO and heir to the Anti-Trump 'Regional News Network (RNN),'" and which splashes screenshots of financial records that display what appears to be the attorney's home address in Brooklyn."

https://twitter.com/Meidas_LaurenA/status/1714382873447580088

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

loving Laura Loomer too.

Jesus loving Christ. He couldn’t even spring for Alex Jones.

Ah gently caress, thirty years from now people studying this poo poo are going to have serious debates about Laura god drat Loomer.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

OgNar posted:

Seems Trump posted a link to a Laura Loomer substack article that doxxs Letitia James.
We'll probably find out tomorrow whether this violates the gag order.

No need to wait, this one's simple: Engoron's gag order bars posting or speaking publicly about any member of his staff. NYAG Letitia James is not a member of Engoron's staff.

What happened here is that Meidas are lying grifters who regularly distort, twist, and overhype stories, seeking to expand their reach so that when it comes time to fundraise for their PAC (which funnels donor money to them in truly Trumpian fashion and pockets money donated to help in competitive races, like the GA-SEN runoffs), they have a wider audience to defraud. All they need is credulous marks to aid their efforts.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Dont ever call me credulous again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Probably leads to a third separate new gag order in the Georgia case.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

skeleton warrior posted:

The chance is low, but the impact of the result is high, so I’m not gonna blame anyone for panicking.

Hell, I’ll be unaffected directly by anything Trump does but I’m still panicking about whether this is at all the country I want my kid to grow up in. My sincere sympathy and empathy to those whose lives will be directly made worse.

I know this is unpopular here but if you live in a swing state, get involved with the Biden campaign because at least making phone calls and canvassing is trying to stop Trump electorally.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know this is unpopular here but if you live in a swing state, get involved with the Biden campaign because at least making phone calls and canvassing is trying to stop Trump electorally.

Also if you’re next door to a swing state (say Wisconsin).

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Cimber posted:

Judge Chutkan is doing all she can to give Trump the most leeway possible, because the last thing she (or the DoJ) want is for him to pause all the proceedings by going through all sorts of appeals on the legality of the gag order. The more she gives him, the less he'll be able to do poo poo to bog this down.
literally something said about alex jones.

alternating between that and "OOOOOHHHH ______ is in trouble now!! you don't want to mess with _______!! they'll come down on you hard!!"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

InsertPotPun posted:

literally something said about alex jones.

alternating between that and "OOOOOHHHH ______ is in trouble now!! you don't want to mess with _______!! they'll come down on you hard!!"

Has something changed in his cases since the last time you claimed this a couple months ago?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Fuschia tude posted:

Has something changed in his cases since the last time you claimed this a couple months ago?
no, that's the point.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

It's kind of amazing how I can get 2000 posts behind in this thread and yet nothing has actually changed. Just more and more charges and potential charges, but absolutely nothing in terms of consequences has happened at all.

I'm not doomering here, just kind of astounded by it. My uncle bounced a check for 100 bucks once and the justice system was quite swift in sweeping him off into jail.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

But the “relevant analysis,” Mr. Chesebro argued, “is political.”

“Just getting this on file means that on Jan. 6, the court will either have ruled on the merits or, vastly more likely, will have appeared to dodge again,” Mr. Chesebro wrote in the email chain. He added that a lack of action by the Supreme Court would feed “the impression that the courts lacked the courage to fairly and timely consider these complaints, and justifying a political argument on Jan. 6 that none of the electoral votes from the states with regard to which the judicial process has failed should be counted.”

Of the chances of success, Mr. Chesebro estimated the “odds the court would grant effective relief before Jan. 6, I’d say only 1 percent.” But he wrote the filing has “possible political value.”

Seems like Chesebro is going to have a hard time with that “I was just a lawyer” defense since he appears to be acting as a political analyst and campaign advisor.

https://web.archive.org/web/20231018155105/https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/18/us/politics/kenneth-chesebro-trump-2020-election.html

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

InsertPotPun posted:

no, that's the point.

Right, so everyone who responded to you back then and told you no, you're wrong, his almost $1.5 billion damages awards have effectively banned him from owning anything ever again and all of his businesses are now property of the court which has appointed a trustee to go comb through every one of them line by line to identify every company he's ever opened in anyone's name and track down every cent he has stashed away anywhere in the world, is still correct.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Fuschia tude posted:

Right, so everyone who responded to you back then and told you no, you're wrong, his almost $1.5 billion damages awards have effectively banned him from owning anything ever again and all of his businesses are now property of the court which has appointed a trustee to go comb through every one of them line by line to identify every company he's ever opened in anyone's name and track down every cent he has stashed away anywhere in the world, is still correct.

The Bible posted:

It's kind of amazing how I can get 2000 posts behind in this thread and yet nothing has actually changed. Just more and more charges and potential charges, but absolutely nothing in terms of consequences has happened at all.

I'm not doomering here, just kind of astounded by it. My uncle bounced a check for 100 bucks once and the justice system was quite swift in sweeping him off into jail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

Wasn't he still allowed to make like, half a million each year for his personal expenses and savings? He's going to live and die a lot more comfortably than the majority of us in this thread.

Of course, by all appearances, it doesn't seem like it'll take too long for him to die. He looks like an overcooked sausage and the only emotion he seems to be able to experience is blinding rage.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

"Losing access to your companies and losing billions" isn't something that is comprehensible to most people so it doesn't "feel" like a punishment... it's like, so what, I also don't have access to businesses or billions? For people like me, rich people problems are not real problems.

But going to jail is something that people understand. It might not be accurate, but anything short of that doesn't feel like an actual consequence.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Crows Turn Off posted:

"Losing access to your companies and losing billions" isn't something that is comprehensible to most people so it doesn't "feel" like a punishment... it's like, so what, I also don't have access to businesses or billions? For people like me, rich people problems are not real problems.

But going to jail is something that people understand. It might not be accurate, but anything short of that doesn't feel like an actual consequence.

It's made literally 0 difference in Donald Trump's comfort, capability to do what he wants, or future prospects. That's why it doesn't feel like an actual consequence.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

A big part of his image is private jet's and limousines. I'm guessing they'll be disappearing with the Trump ORG dissolving.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crows Turn Off posted:

it also hasn't actually happened yet

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

It's made literally 0 difference in Donald Trump's comfort, capability to do what he wants, or future prospects. That's why it doesn't feel like an actual consequence.

Of course, he never looks comfortable, only seems to want to bitch and whine, and given his diet/beliefs regarding exercise, probably doesn't have a particularly expansive future anyway.

I doubt Trump will ever see any consequences before he dies. The system is just moving so incredibly slowly that it seems unlikely that he'll really have to face any actual sentence, but it is really pissing him off and will continue to do so until the coronary, and that's worth something in my eyes.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, I'll consider Alex Jones to have experienced an actual meaningful consequence when his quality of life drops below mine and not before.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, I'll consider Alex Jones to have experienced an actual meaningful consequence when his quality of life drops below mine and not before.

Well, he has lost access to his kids, is enraged literally all day every day, many times without any reason, and is utterly hated by the vast majority of the US. His brain is also trapped in a slow meltdown where he honestly fears things such as ghosts, demons, and various other supernatural cryptids, and is surrounded mostly by other miserable conservative old men.

He eats better food than you and probably sleeps in a more comfortable bed in a bigger house, but his life sucks very much right now. Would you honestly want to switch places with him right now?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 19, 2023

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

The Bible posted:

Well, he has lost access to his kids, is enraged literally all day every day, many times without any reason, and is utterly hated by the vast majority of the US. His brain is also trapped in a slow meltdown where he honestly fears things such as ghosts, demons, and various other supernatural cryptids, and is surrounded mostly by other miserable conservative old men.

He eats better food than you and probably sleeps in a more comfortable bed in a bigger house, but his life sucks very much right now. Would you honestly want to switch places with him right now?

I think Alex Jones's stomach and guts hurts more often than mine do.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

The Bible posted:

Shucks, y'all really know how to pick a feller up what's feelin' down

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The disconnect that people are feeling is that all that awful poo poo happens to regular people all the time, only they don't also get Emerald Plus tier treatment the whole way through and thousands of second chances for years on end before getting reamed out with even worse stuff on top of it.

It happens quick, fast, and in a hurry to normal people, it hurts normal people a lot more, with far less capability to recover and with much, much fewer opportunities to reverse course.

Nobody is telling normal people they really shouldn't threaten members of the court or they'll be forced to document it and then not give you the kid gloves treatment and maybe rule against you if they can get away with it and not have it picked apart on appeal for being unfair. Normal people are just told "gently caress you. Get hosed. You lose, and now you lose harder. Get hosed again."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

The purpose of the billion-dollar debt he owes isn't to punish him by driving him to bankruptcy, it's to provide his victims with a billion dollars as compensation for the harm he did them.

The court is not actually trying to destroy him or reduce him to utter poverty. He owes several times more money than he actually has, but the court's ultimate goal here is to make sure his victims get the compensation they deserve - and therefore he needs to be able to keep making money so that he can keep paying the vast majority of that money to his victims. The court doesn't want to utterly destroy him, because utterly destroying him would make it very difficult for him to continue bringing in tens of millions of dollars a year - most of which would go to his victims and other debtors.

It's still something like a 90% pay cut. He'll be able to live a decently comfortable life on the remaining ~10 percent, but I guarantee you he'll be utterly furious about having to work just as hard as he did before for a tiny fraction of the benefit.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

The purpose of the billion-dollar debt he owes isn't to punish him by driving him to bankruptcy, it's to provide his victims with a billion dollars as compensation for the harm he did them.

The court is not actually trying to destroy him or reduce him to utter poverty. He owes several times more money than he actually has, but the court's ultimate goal here is to make sure his victims get the compensation they deserve - and therefore he needs to be able to keep making money so that he can keep paying the vast majority of that money to his victims. The court doesn't want to utterly destroy him, because utterly destroying him would make it very difficult for him to continue bringing in tens of millions of dollars a year - most of which would go to his victims and other debtors.

It's still something like a 90% pay cut. He'll be able to live a decently comfortable life on the remaining ~10 percent, but I guarantee you he'll be utterly furious about having to work just as hard as he did before for a tiny fraction of the benefit.

How much has he paid out so far?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Main Paineframe posted:

The purpose of the billion-dollar debt he owes isn't to punish him by driving him to bankruptcy
He's getting off lightly and everyone knows it. To defend this kafka-esque bullshit after everything he's done at this point unbelievable and quite frankly makes you come off badly.

There needs to be major reform to megafuck these white collar and/or rich criminals when they step over the line as badly as Trump or Jones have. The wrist slaps and supposedly "rage inducing"-but-living-large type punishments aren't cutting it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Jones’ victims don’t want his money, though. They want him to not have a venue through which he can hurt other people with his bullshit

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Main Paineframe posted:

No, it isn't.
It will probably be as you describe if it actually happens before he dies, but speaking of pay cuts and restitution in the present tense is wrong.
One of the victims had a gofundme for medical bills recently. Because Alex has not paid yet and no bank would lend money with such unreliable collateral.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Jones’ victims don’t want his money, though. They want him to not have a venue through which he can hurt other people with his bullshit

They probably won't get either. He's been spending nearly 100k each month and hasn't paid them a dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

But I don’t think this has much to do with Trump since he’s not going to ever get a financial penalty of “owes a billion dollars.” I wouldn’t expect any sanctions against the Trump org to end up with him living in a shack down by the river.