Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Districts visually should expand out into adjacent tiles so if you have a commercial hub and Big Ben it’s not just a giant parliament 100x the size of an entire district but a small one in a district now 2x the size spanning two tiles. But that would require context programming for district visuals which I get is a hassle.

Districts would be great if they felt like specializing but cities still “spread out” a bit more allowing blending of resources into the districts.

Also from a gameplay perspective I get it but there’s zero reason campuses should have adjacency to mountains hot springs or reefs. Campus output should be contingent on buildings happiness and economic output sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I could definitely get behind a thing were wonders were built inside of districts, which would be cool, make sense, and reduce map clutter. The district would still have to met specific criteria ofc like your commercial hub would still need to be adjacent to a river to build big ben or whatever. Maybe some specific wonders would get their own tile. Depends on the thing i guess. Would be cool imo

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tom Tucker posted:

Also from a gameplay perspective I get it but there’s zero reason campuses should have adjacency to mountains hot springs or reefs. Campus output should be contingent on buildings happiness and economic output sorry.

This is a thing that gets weird over time. For your "just learned to build a hut"-civilization, nearby nature-stuff seems highly relevant to science. For your fifteenth megacity, not so much.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tom Tucker posted:

Dunno about you, but college would have been a lot more bearable if I had access to ski slopes and nice water features :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Phosphine posted:

This is a thing that gets weird over time. For your "just learned to build a hut"-civilization, nearby nature-stuff seems highly relevant to science. For your fifteenth megacity, not so much.

I think this is something that's supposed to be addressed by exponential growth. Sure, it's weird that your biotech research division is getting a bonus from looking up at a mountain and being inspired, but it is dwarfed by the base science provided by research labs. Okay maybe not dwarfed, but with all the other science sources across your late-game empire, that mountain isn't doing much really.

Like the library still gives a bit of science in the modern era too even though libraries don't actually advance science these days (EDIT: in retrospect, this is a terrible example because uni libraries most certainly do advance science. Can I go with the Monument instead?). But it's okay because they don't contribute a huge amount by late-game anyway.

I guess a better solution would be to obsolete those bonuses at the appropriate time.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 18, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
oof, vote against that. Obsolecense isn't a fun mechanic imo, what little we have of it already feels bad.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah it would make sense to replace it per Era, and basically give it a growing Japan bonus

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Serephina posted:

oof, vote against that. Obsolecense isn't a fun mechanic imo, what little we have of it already feels bad.

Yeah, the minmaxing would be maddening if there was any incentive to avoid obsolescence triggers.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It was probably my least favorite Civ4 mechanic.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

return to original civ where someone installed lights in the great library and all the books stopped working

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

COMMUNISM CANCELS EFFECT OF PYRAMIDS

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

lol what? Is this for real?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Madmarker posted:

lol what? Is this for real?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Woke communism cancels strong manly pyramids

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Revolution seized the Emperor's store of grain from within the pyramids, distributing it among the people.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I will be the dissenter in this conversation and state emphatically that Civ is a game using board game design fundamentals and that districts were, for the most part, a very successful mechanic that fulfills its design purpose well enough while also functioning in a simple enough manner to be approachable. Furthermore, attempting to add more granularity without a real functional purpose and only for historical flavor would only lead to a worse product (e.g. the really dumb way Firaxis implemented climate change that most definitely did NOT work) :colbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

John F Bennett posted:

That kind of poo poo was annoying in the original few games, although I kinda get it. Rather avoid it by making newer stuff better, and letting new tech upgrade your old poo poo (what happens often now) is a superior choice to make some stuff even more valuable to invest in upfront.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

I will be the dissenter in this conversation and state emphatically that Civ is a game using board game design fundamentals and that districts were, for the most part, a very successful mechanic that fulfills its design purpose well enough while also functioning in a simple enough manner to be approachable. Furthermore, attempting to add more granularity without a real functional purpose and only for historical flavor would only lead to a worse product

:hmmyes: I think all the people who really want the districts to sprawl should give Old world a spin, the designers there knocked a lot of the concepts in Civ VI out of the park there

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Super Jay Mann posted:

I will be the dissenter in this conversation and state emphatically that Civ is a game using board game design fundamentals and that districts were, for the most part, a very successful mechanic that fulfills its design purpose well enough while also functioning in a simple enough manner to be approachable. Furthermore, attempting to add more granularity without a real functional purpose and only for historical flavor would only lead to a worse product (e.g. the really dumb way Firaxis implemented climate change that most definitely did NOT work) :colbert:

I like districts too, though there are too many of them. Preserves are just bloat, and encampments need a redesign. Entertainment districts are pretty much an afterthought in most games, and water parks really shouldn't be their own district. Commercial districts and harbors are fine I guess, but trade routes are so good having one of them feels almost mandatory.

Also the cost scaling is kinda dumb, especially zoning districts that you're going to build some day to lock in the price, and the district discount formula is both a mess and completely undocumented.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the actual fix to obsolence would be some kind of mechanical abstraction, like instead of requiring a roman arena or amphitheater before you can build a modern building, you plop down some kind of basic non-commital entertainment/theater infrastructure that unlocks the more specific buildings.

I would also absolutely hate that, though. All I personally want from districts is more diversity of architecture.

e: Oh yes, the cost scaling is also dumb as hell, and most of Civ 6's decisions to limit certain projects to using only production or faith are arbitrary and gamey, that's a whole different peeve

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 18, 2023

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

:hmmyes: I think all the people who really want the districts to sprawl should give Old world a spin, the designers there knocked a lot of the concepts in Civ VI out of the park there

Old World only has certain sites that you can build cities on, right?
And then games like Endless Legend and Humankind have regions, where you can only place one city per region.

These both help spread the world out and allow for districts by eliminating sprawl, and they do their job well enough, but I like the Civ method of placing a city anywhere I want.

I don't know what the happy medium between those are, but I hope some creative developer figures it out.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

districts were, for the most part, a very successful mechanic that fulfills its design purpose well enough while also functioning in a simple enough manner to be approachable.

I really don't agree. Going back however many years I've played Civ, the game's biggest issue IMO has always been that the endgame devolves into tedious micromanagement too often. I don't find districts approachable, I find them to be tedious micromanagement at the start of the game, which was previously the fun part.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Mmmm, how was Civ: Call for Power in that regard? I remember watching a friend play it and the idea of a centralized public works currency still seems intriguing decades later.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It is a crime that public works was never used outside of the Activision civ-likes

Also Civ 6 districts own, way better than the city sprawl in Endless Legend TBH

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

toasterwarrior posted:

It is a crime that public works was never used outside of the Activision civ-likes

Also Civ 6 districts own, way better than the city sprawl in Endless Legend TBH

Yeah, EL's disrict equivalent was kind of awful. I think you had to aim for giant triangular cities to get the best bonuses?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EL districts are kind of the opposite of Civ 6 districts. They're what allows you to exploit the outlying tiles rather than having citizens work them.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Humankind city sprawl to me was the worst because I’d wind up just covering a huge swath of beautiful territory in 70 different “science zone” things which made no sense.

The tactical combat was cool but war weariness killed it as did the massive amount of cliffs and hills everywhere. Choke points and cliffs should be an exception not the rule there were never any wide open flat plains.

Game had some good stuff going for it did updates ever improve it?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Technically in EL the optimal city was a simple line two tiles wide. Not awful, but a solved minigame.

Districts in general are good for civ, for how they make some fun board game decisions, for how they show a large city sprawling, and hell, for realism in urban combat which nobody cares about. Civ7 better fuckin' keep them in, going back to single tile cities would be... stark.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
one thing that is probably locked in for civ7 is the art style: too many "realism" styles in the competition, so my guess is an even more Pixar-like comic style

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
God I hope not.

I'm used to it now but the stylistic move from civ5 to civ6 was a 🤮 moment for me.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
my sincere, but vain, hope is that they replace every one of those elaborate animated models with whatever picture is on that ruler's wikipedia page, and then they spend all the money they would've spent on 3D animators on hiring someone to actually loving think about game balance.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DontMockMySmock posted:

my sincere, but vain, hope is that they replace every one of those elaborate animated models with whatever picture is on that ruler's wikipedia page, and then they spend all the money they would've spent on 3D animators on hiring someone to actually loving think about game balance.

Well, maybe. But how about they use the money saved on 3D animation to track down whoever came up with VI's World Congress and legally block them from engaging in game design ever again

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
To be fair, the move to more simple, colourful models is almost necessary when moving to 3d. A realistic brown smudge when zoomed out isn't very compelling! They can kind of stop where they are though, the trees and fog of war are kind of ugly and unreadable.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Visuals sell.

But they never show UIs on the store page, so that doesn't count.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
whatever they do, the Civ 5 UI mod will be once again one of the most popular

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it was ever explicitly stated but I've always assumed they did those expensive 3D leader models and screens because they double as a marketing tool (or maybe that was the primary motivation for making them). It's the same reason a lot of games (Civ included) spend money on fancy cinematic intros; those things are definitely marketing tools first and foremost.

If you're showing off Civ 6 in a short video advertisement it makes sense to have something that looks more engaging than a montage of game maps with nothing to break it up, and those screens make it look like there's another dimension to the game beyond staring at those maps all the time.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Microplastics posted:

God I hope not.

I'm used to it now but the stylistic move from civ5 to civ6 was a 🤮 moment for me.

Same, except 4 to 5. The first time I started a Civ5 game I quit the game in disgust (and played Civ4 instead) when I saw the graphics. Fortunately when I tried again I soon discovered strategic mode and never looked back. I use strategic mode almost exclusively in Civ6, too. I expect that will stay the case in 7 as well, as long as they keep the mode.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Civ 5's art deco aesthetic was awesome... it's just 1 upt and the AI that sucked.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tom Tucker posted:

Humankind city sprawl to me was the worst because I’d wind up just covering a huge swath of beautiful territory in 70 different “science zone” things which made no sense.

The tactical combat was cool but war weariness killed it as did the massive amount of cliffs and hills everywhere. Choke points and cliffs should be an exception not the rule there were never any wide open flat plains.

Game had some good stuff going for it did updates ever improve it?

Yeah, they made districts cost more to build when you have more of that type, so it's no longer possible to win a science victory in 500 BC by slamming out 100 research districts. They also added a setting to increase the amount of strategic resources on the map, and when you set it to high it's actually possible to fight interesting wars now. I like the way cities look in Humankind, because in the late game you end up with hamlets that can become impressive cities in their own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Humankind also updated how strategic resources work. They increased the amounts and units, projects, and structures now have a threshold to build. If you have less than the threshold you can still build them but there is a scaling production cost based on how far below the threshold you are. Each strategic resources also has an associates building for you industrial zones that when built increases the amount you extract from deposits worked by that city.

They also made it possible for units to plunder trade routes. I haven't used that feature to much but I believe it's possible to send an army or fleet to an enemy trade routes and steal their resources to build your own units while making building more of theirs more expensive.