Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

It leads to a full minute of the camera on the pitcher staring into space while the announcers avoid talking about what's happening, wasting my time, thus the only appropriate penalty is Death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/foreverstros/status/1714692560617144597

Dusty to the Mets lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still love Dusty just because I think he’s a genuinely interesting and funny guy, but I’m not gonna be too upset to see someone who actually believes in analytics as manager again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that Dusty profoundly, deeply loves the game of baseball and its history and meaning and I think sometimes that kind of stuff gets in the way of good managerial decisions.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

I think that Dusty profoundly, deeply loves the game of baseball and its history and meaning and I think sometimes that kind of stuff gets in the way of good managerial decisions.

:hmmyes:

I would genuinely pay extra to get Dusty in the booth for either radio or broadcast on every game, I feel like he’d be great at doing that during retirement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's also got Miles Davis-tier coolness

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I grew up with Dusty's nephew so while I may not be an Astros fan (in fact I would say gently caress The Astros), I was happy to see him get the ring last season. But now I want him to lose, Namaste.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

euphronius posted:

It’s sad how police statey they get about people running on the field. It’s not that big of a deal

It's a felony in many states lol

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

As a person and baseball personality I think Dusty is great. As someone who writes up the lineup cards, I'd rather he wasn't the one doing it for the team I cheer for.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still love Dusty just because I think he’s a genuinely interesting and funny guy, but I’m not gonna be too upset to see someone who actually believes in analytics as manager again.

I mean, is there any statistic at all you can point to that favors Maldonado other than GUT+.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's a felony in many states lol

To be fair it's taken seriously because it would be really, really bad if instead of a drunk fan or a protestor or whatever it was somebody actually trying to harm a player who snuck a weapon in. I know MLB has enhanced their security a lot over the years but in my experience it can still be stupidly easy to sneak poo poo in if you want to. Hell the last time my family went to a game my dad tripped the metal detector, told security "oh yeah sorry I have a full knee replacement" and the guy just went "okay" and waved him through without even bothering to wand him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is very easy to smuggle in a weapon by simply concealing it in the rolls of your belly fat ALLEGEDLY

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sydin posted:

To be fair it's taken seriously because it would be really, really bad if instead of a drunk fan or a protestor or whatever it was somebody actually trying to harm a player who snuck a weapon in. I know MLB has enhanced their security a lot over the years but in my experience it can still be stupidly easy to sneak poo poo in if you want to. Hell the last time my family went to a game my dad tripped the metal detector, told security "oh yeah sorry I have a full knee replacement" and the guy just went "okay" and waved him through without even bothering to wand him.

You had that weird situation only a month ago with the Colorado fans and Acuna, which could have gotten nasty in a hurry.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is very easy to smuggle in a weapon by simply concealing it in the rolls of your belly fat ALLEGEDLY

The phrase “Lance Lynn revenge game” just popped into my head

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

They hide a gun under second base anyway

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sydin posted:

And right on the other side of the coin, it's very easy for the civilian on the field to be hurt. If they take a baseball to the skull or get in the way of a WR running at full speed, that's a bad time.

I'm really fine with people who pull that poo poo suffering consequences; the more completely it's locked down, the less likely it is for the next dumbass in line to decide to have a try at it.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Bandire posted:

I mean, is there any statistic at all you can point to that favors Maldonado other than GUT+.

Yainer 0 for 10 in the postseason.

For real, though, no. Dusty pinch hitting Yainer for Maldy in high leverage spots shows he knows intuitively that Maldy is washed, but I don't know why he can't pull the trigger on not starting him (he's back in there again tonight). It's really unfair to Yainer too, who is being thrust into high leverage situations instead of just easing into the games and not feeling like he has the season resting on his bat each PA. Yainer isn't prime Barry, he's just a promising rookie who has decent numbers despite being a very free swinger. Yes this would be a way better option than a guy who has hit below the Mendoza line for the entire season, but he's not a guy opposing pitchers would be afraid of.

The difference between 22 Framber/23 Framber and Regular Season Altuve/Playoff Altuve are far bigger problems than the difference between Maldy and Yainer right now, though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:hmmyes:

I would genuinely pay extra to get Dusty in the booth for either radio or broadcast on every game, I feel like he’d be great at doing that during retirement.

Replace Granderson with Dusty on TBS and that'd be something.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
We need to get manager Dusty and pitching coach Prior onto the same team somehow.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

zoux posted:

They hide a gun under second base anyway

RICKEY NO PUT IT DOWN

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Sydin posted:

We need to get manager Dusty and pitching coach Prior onto the same team somehow.

Can you imagine how many mound visits he would force Prior to make?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Prior will be in LA for a long time, and Dusty has forsaken his Dodgers roots many times over now, managing both the Giants and the Astros

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

RICKEY NO PUT IT DOWN

It was Reggie smdh

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

:smithicide:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do the Astros have a #4 starter or they gonna bullpen game it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do the Astros have a #4 starter or they gonna bullpen game it

urquidy most likely

he pitched game 4 against the twins

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the playoffs this year loving blow

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

the playoffs this year loving blow

your boy schwarbs is about to get another ring what do you mean

or just that there aren't many close games

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Intruder posted:

urquidy most likely

he pitched game 4 against the twins

Oh yeah, that makes sense

I forgot about him

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

your boy schwarbs is about to get another ring what do you mean

or just that there aren't many close games

as an entertainment product the playoffs are just boring blowouts and i hate philadelphia sports

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

as an entertainment product the playoffs are just boring blowouts and i hate philadelphia sports

there have been some nailbiters but as far as I can think of only braves/phillies game 2 resulted in a team that scored first losing which yeah that's kind of bad

e: oh yeah the o's had an extremely brief lead in game 2, less than half an inning

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Counterpoint: the playoffs are absolutely rocking this season, mainly due to Philadelphia opponents claiming Philadelphia fans and noise are no big deal

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MrMojok posted:

Counterpoint: the playoffs are absolutely rocking this season, mainly due to Philadelphia opponents claiming Philadelphia fans and noise are no big deal

This is the NL version of saying “we want Houston”

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MrMojok posted:

that's right the very special phillies fans who have invented sports fandom in 2023 are the only team that is selling out their stadium in the baseball playoffs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

remember last year when philly lost 3 championship games/series within like 4 months

that was fun

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

remember last year when philly lost 3 championship games/series within like 4 months

that was fun

nobody suffers sports losses like philadelphia, the home of america's only sports fans

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

find me another fanbase that celebrates championships with a big old steaming handful of horse poo poo right down the gullet

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Intruder posted:

that was fun

First time a city lost 2 professional league championships on the same day (MLB, MLS), apparently.

Although I feel like there's definitely a town in the UK that lost the finals of three sports in one day but no one's cross-referencing Northumberland's 1963 results in soccer, rugby union, and cricket, or whatevs. Their suffering singularity should gain recognition.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

kalensc posted:

First time a city lost 2 professional league championships on the same day (MLB, MLS), apparently.

Although I feel like there's definitely a town in the UK that lost the finals of three sports in one day but no one's cross-referencing Northumberland's 1963 results in soccer, rugby union, and cricket, or whatevs. Their suffering singularity should gain recognition.

I can't imagine the MLS series had many watchers in Philly that night (unless it happened earlier in the day, I don't know if it did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

big time win in game 3 but game 4 is also a must win because I have zero faith in this team winning three in a row, two at home