Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Indecisive posted:

you know you can fast forward past the ads right

That's harder to do on CSB than other podcasts because the other ones I listen to put music behind their ad segments, so you know immediately whether or not you need to skip forward again. If you skip ahead to seven seconds of silence you have to wait it out until they start talking again to see if they're starting a new ad or the next segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes their ad reads take forever and woolie fumbles shuffling between them often with dead air between the reads as he gets to copy and also makes sure there's a clean gap between them. I wish they're set up a patreon already I'd Easily give them 5 bucks a month to not hear them/have to jump around trying to figure out where they actually end.

Is there a reason why they don't use Patreon? Pat's name is already in the name

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

CSB has more absurdly detailed timestamps than any podcast I've ever seen, I use that for ad avoidance, and to skip over fighting games.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I will say though, one of my funniest CSB memories is when Woolie was reading a HelloFresh ad and Suzi brought up the blobfish in the middle, leading to Woolie going on a massive tirade about how mankind is destroying the environment DURING the ad.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I don't usually mind when they start circling and repeating a point, it's just part of how these guys operate, but boy Woolie felt the need to defend his decision to play the un-Gacha'd Mega Man with the exact same phrasing like, ten times this episode.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I dunno I kinda like their scuffed ads, and I'm pretty sure they keep doing them this way as a bit of a meta joke.

I'm not sure if many other apps do this, and Google is killing it soonish anyway, but the Google podcasts app has a setting that automatically skips dead air. I've listened to a few CSB podcasts with it on and it kinda feels like they took a bump of cocaine beforehand sometimes.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I love you, Hello Fresh.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rody One Half posted:

CSB has more absurdly detailed timestamps than any podcast I've ever seen, I use that for ad avoidance, and to skip over fighting games.

They’re an absolute godsend. I tend to pass out while listening these days thanks to the kids so they’re super helpful to nail down where to jump to to catch back up. Same goes for Overcast eating my progress for no reason as of late.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You're talking about the ones the guy on the reddit makes, right? They should pay that guy so they're in the podcast description too.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Brightman posted:

I dunno I kinda like their scuffed ads, and I'm pretty sure they keep doing them this way as a bit of a meta joke.

I'm not sure if many other apps do this, and Google is killing it soonish anyway, but the Google podcasts app has a setting that automatically skips dead air. I've listened to a few CSB podcasts with it on and it kinda feels like they took a bump of cocaine beforehand sometimes.
I listen to them on 2x

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ew

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

theCalamity posted:

Is there a reason why they don't use Patreon? Pat's name is already in the name

"why would woolie spurn an easy path to success and money and instead take a much more difficult and self-defeating route for unclear reasons"

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
The last two episodes of Woolie's BG3 short play have been loving great. Woolie does rag on Reggie for a good while about something that was actually Woolie's fault, but then Reggie decided to pocket a dead kid and things went off the rails even more.

choopercabra
Aug 8, 2006
It’s possible that woolie doesn’t want to start a Patreon because he doesn’t want to have to include membership benefits. What would be the point when you can just sub to his twitch or the podcast twitch? What else would he offer other than what he is already doing?

Alternatively, there might be tax related issues he doesn’t want to deal with.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You don't have to include membership benefits. You can simply set them up with joke tiers, or just one tier where the reward is "Nothing! All of my content is free."

Or since that's not technically true, $5 tier where he gives you a CSB twitch subscription or whatever it is you need to watch vods

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dabir posted:

Or since that's not technically true, $5 tier where he gives you a CSB twitch subscription or whatever it is you need to watch vods

omg

I would sub to a csb patreon in 1 second for podcast vods and i'm not joking.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have just been informed a $5 twitch sub gives access to all the podcast vods. The longass message he puts on every clip needs to be trimmed the gently caress down as most people are going to tune it out after they read they're not on youtube or do not understand twitch's sub model.

quote:

Hope you enjoy these moments from the show! For those wondering about full episodes, unfortunately, posting them in full to YouTube would hurt not only the audio podcast itself but also this channel directly in a not insignificant way. For the full podcast, please play or download it, or watch our full video archives on twitch.
should really just be

quote:

For those wondering about full episodes, our full video archive is available for twitch subscribers, starting at $5/mo.
It is kind of crazy to me it doesn't just say that ffs. If he needs to include the long explanation, put it AFTER directing ppl exactly how to pay for the vods.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

beep by grandpa posted:

I have just been informed a $5 twitch sub gives access to all the podcast vods. The longass message he puts on every clip needs to be trimmed the gently caress down as most people are going to tune it out after they read they're not on youtube or do not understand twitch's sub model.

should really just be

It is kind of crazy to me it doesn't just say that ffs. If he needs to include the long explanation, put it AFTER directing ppl exactly how to pay for the vods.

Its missing the included explanation of the explanation that is Woolie.txt

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

should really just be

Now I'm actually curious - do podcasts have some revenue aspect when downloaded through itunes and other podcasting stuff? I don't really understand why having a youtube channel for the podcast would hurt the chnanel/podcast besides if the point is to drive people to pay for a twitch sub, because otherwise I dont understand the financial difference between me listening on one service or another.

Most other podcasts I listen to have mirrors onto youtube, these days which I use for convenience sake regardless of video components. I've listened to a lot less CSB because I can't be assed to open up itunes for find some other way to listen in browser (but also because I'm just inundated by other content to watch/listen.)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I love that Woolie still calls (Persona 4 spoilers) Adachi “Culprit”

Heroic Yoshimitsu fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 22, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I love that Woolie still calls Adachi “Culprit”

The game is 15 years old and Adachi has been out and open in two different fighting games the sbf have covered and he still does it.

Spoiler brain is a powerful curse.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I remember Woolie saying he doesn't have a patreon because he didn't want to feel beholden to his patrons or feel like he had any obligations to do anything.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I remember Woolie saying he doesn't have a patreon because he didn't want to feel beholden to his patrons or feel like he had any obligations to do anything.

I mean, has he seen any patreon? You think hbomberguys patrons are pushing him for more content? It's a tip Jar for a lot of creatives

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The game is 15 years old and Adachi has been out and open in two different fighting games the sbf have covered and he still does it.

Spoiler brain is a powerful curse.

:shrug:

There's some stuff I still avoid spoiling for politeness' sake cause there's a lot of poo poo that people just don't get around to, but then there's also stuff that's super public knowledge that I don't bother dancing around.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

This is why Adachi should just have been named Killerman.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

I mean, has he seen any patreon? You think hbomberguys patrons are pushing him for more content? It's a tip Jar for a lot of creatives

I'm subscribed to a few that are just like one or two dollars a month. I don't listen to CSB that often, but if they set up a patreon with a "you want to just help out the channel" tier, I'd subscribe.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
bumbling ads has been these boys' MO since episode like 6 of SBFC

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

doos posted:

This is why Adachi should just have been named Killerman.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxtqRiiij89xr8Xy1Wx_-ZELTuZ_OjQr8a?si=wQBOvOSwy3jtRMe3

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's so dumb

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 22, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

He's kinda vindicated in doing it again because it just had an awful port this year.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I’d always appreciated Woolie doing that, since I didn’t have a PlayStation at the time and thought I might one day get around to playing the game, but now that this thread has spoiled me I realize that I was never going to play this, or any, persona game ever under any circumstances and it’s fine.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Paladin posted:

I’d always appreciated Woolie doing that, since I didn’t have a PlayStation at the time and thought I might one day get around to playing the game, but now that this thread has spoiled me I realize that I was never going to play this, or any, persona game ever under any circumstances and it’s fine.

Yeah, I think the window for me getting into Persona closed a while ago. If P5 were ever to become available on PS Plus I'd probably give it a shot, but I'm not ever going to seek it out unless I see it on sale for like dirt cheap, and maybe not even then.

I just downloaded Disco Elysium a couple of days ago and still haven't started it yet; it takes me a while to getting around to playing a game with a ton of dialogue and my experience with P4A left me with the impression that the Persona series has a lot of it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't understand what the point of an RPG without a lot of dialogue would be.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I think that might just be a rogue-like.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean yeah I guess there are people that just run dungeon crawlers and roguelikes ad infinitum sure

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Use spoiler tags on that please thanks some of us still haven’t played the game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
reminds me of when FF7R came out and people got in a tizzy over having to spoiler tag That Moment from FF7 as it is The Most Spoiled Thing In History!!!! so we don't need to tag it!!!!!! even though it came out 23 years after the original game and so an entirely new generation was getting to know this setting through this new game, and likely had never played the original nor knew the big plot moments. Persona 4 Golden only just got wider releases on a bunch of platforms this year, so a bunch of folks are only experiencing it now. it's nice to be courteous with such a mundane thing as adding a few spoiler tags.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

there used to be a time when things form popular media just got absorbed into general conscious through popculture osmosis. no one gets mad if you tell them rosebud was his sled. we all know vader is luke's father. used to be that jekyll and hyde being the same person was a twist, now it's the premise of every adaptation.

at some point the statute of limitations on spoilers got extended indefinitely like it's the disney corporations extending the copyright on steamboat willie. people who played ff7 in school are now putting kids of their own through public education, but now we can't even talk about the game's mid-game twist except in hushed whispers because there might be a twelve-year-old in the room. it's loving annoying.

is it legal yet to say doki doki literature club is an example of meta-fictional horror or do we all still have to pretend it's the world most generic and boring VN

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the indignance is unwarranted. it's an unbelievably small amount of effort to not spoil a big twist in something regardless of its perceived popularity or absorption into general culture, and yet, you still cannot rise to even that level without throwing a fit,

your ridiculous exaggeration is stupid, you're not prevented from discussing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i'm sure you've seen people, even here on SA, get mad about spoilers for talking about things happening in trailers