Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XrEBLBExPw
Wait

did none of us know that a Dr Who toy youtuber murdered his girlfriend last Christmas and faked a livestream to create an alibi???

Holy poo poo. I saw some of his videos from time to time. Didn't follow him, but got recommendations and just thought 'why not' and watched. Never heard of this, giving this a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

Mix. posted:

the only thing i remember about milo is he tried to pivot into catering to rightwing fascist furries (even going so far as to make a dogshit looking fursona) after a lot of his regular fash bros dropped him when he started make them look worse by association but even the fascist furries refused to have anything to do with him and thats part of why he vanished completely lol

This debate Milo does with Destiny is pretty classic. The dude is coked out of his loving mind and/or on meth and keeps insulting Destiny’s wife until Destiny finally says “I dunno why a creepy gay guy is so obsessed with my wife’s vagina.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZFVG9TgwAo

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

Veotax posted:

Holy poo poo. I saw some of his videos from time to time. Didn't follow him, but got recommendations and just thought 'why not' and watched. Never heard of this, giving this a watch.

This guy (deadwingdork) does a full analysis of the livestream and how weird and creepy it is; and how much he keeps subconsciously alluding to his horrific crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyl2tzC6aco

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Dawgstar posted:

Ex-goon poparena has a series on that as well, though they only do a few a year now I believe. What I took away from it - because I never read Goosebumps because I was reading King in the fifth grade - only a few of them seem genuinely scary and RL Stine seems to think children are mostly either pranking or being pranked and do little else.

I was the weirdo who liked Strange Matter over Goosebumps. I liked the first few Goosebumps when it was of course a bit silly but still took itself 'seriously' as children's horror, but I fell out of interest once it became full on camp.
Animorphs though, that was my real jam. And the world would be such a better place, unironically, if it and not Harry Potter had been the book millions of people inexplicably based their moral and political compasses on.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dawgstar posted:

Ex-goon poparena has a series on that as well, though they only do a few a year now I believe. What I took away from it - because I never read Goosebumps because I was reading King in the fifth grade - only a few of them seem genuinely scary and RL Stine seems to think children are mostly either pranking or being pranked and do little else.

It's generally understood that a great chunk of the series was written by ghost writers. But also Stine is a corny motherfucker who wrote endless interminable joke books before hitting it big on various stripes of YA fiction and those sensibilities come through very, very often.

The most notable books were almost always Weird moreso than Scary.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 18, 2023

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

John Murdoch posted:

It's generally understood that a great chunk of the series was written by ghost writers. But also Stine is a corny motherfucker who wrote endless interminable joke books before hitting it big on various stripes of YA fiction and those sensibilities come through very, very often.

The most notable books were almost always Weird moreso than Scary.

I maintain that the book where the kids are being kidnapped to the world without color would have hosed me up as a kid.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
True, that one is a rare exception that's genuinely unsettling.

Edit: Unsettling in a different way you have Chicken Chicken which has some truly unpleasant body horror poo poo in it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 18, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
every time someone links a 'drama youtuber' it takes no more than 20 seconds on their page to find some awful poo poo on it. that deadwingdork guy has a new video making fun of christine chandler

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I was the weirdo who liked Strange Matter over Goosebumps. I liked the first few Goosebumps when it was of course a bit silly but still took itself 'seriously' as children's horror, but I fell out of interest once it became full on camp.
Animorphs though, that was my real jam. And the world would be such a better place, unironically, if it and not Harry Potter had been the book millions of people inexplicably based their moral and political compasses on.

Picturing Harry Potter land at Universal replaced wholesale with an Andalite Dome Ship and smiling sorrowfully at what could have been.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

tehslime posted:

This debate Milo does with Destiny is pretty classic. The dude is coked out of his loving mind and/or on meth and keeps insulting Destiny’s wife until Destiny finally says “I dunno why a creepy gay guy is so obsessed with my wife’s vagina.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZFVG9TgwAo

Having a gay-in-denial fascist of the Francisco Franco variety blitzed on booze+coke advocating for butchering the lushes and sluts really is one of those times in which reality just crushes fiction into chalk powder.

It really goes from "You should ALL be killed, to save the world. Strung up on ropes! Blood for the blood god!" to "How DARE you say I'm defending violence" in like two minutes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There's a lot of fantasy and scifi stories for kids that are written by better people, but Harry Potter was indisputably primed to be a merchandising engine in a way that basically no other major book series is or was. The teams sports personalty test branding of the Hogwarts houses, plus all the magical accoutrements, candies, books, etc. that are perfect for toy aisles and theme parks gift shops in ways only rivaled by things like Pokemon and Star Wars. That much was apparent pretty early on, when it was already successful in the UK and its marketability was being evaluated for overseas publication.

Something like Animorphs in a theme park would be cool but also like... probably wind up in the same state as the loving Avatar Land theme park at Disney. Like yeah you know what kids are really obsessed over is buying glowing cubes like the one the Animorphs got their powers from, or delicious palm-sized space slug gummies, or you can build your own Andalite Barbie doll and dress it up and cram fake food in its little plastic hooves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy0eG7MFSTM

2kliksphilip brings back Odgrub to explore Starfield planets.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

the first couple of books were genuinely good for kids stuff imo. like, genuinely scary or at the very least, creepy. but yeah as the series went on it started doing weirder, less scary stuff. then you have the t.v. show, where the only good thing about it was kickass theme song. the show was pretty disappointing because even when it adapted the good books, they just did a really poor job translating it to a visual medium. the only exception being the Haunted Mask, and that one was an outlier because it was the only one that was aired on primetime and so they decided to put in significantly more effort into it than the average episode.

Are You Afraid of the Dark was always the superior show

quote:

i first learned of the animorphs from the t.v. show on nickelodeon. didn't even know it was based off a book series until literal decades later. was the t.v. show any good?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Nope. Its content wasn’t really suitable for a Nickelodeon show, and Applegate intentionally designed her aliens to be as nonhuman in appearance as possible, which made them super memorable on the page but basically impossible to shoot for TV or film, especially on the cheap as the TV show obviously was. They were basically required to make a ton of changes, and the choices they made were uniformly bad.

Just read the books. There’s a let’s read thread in TBB that got through the whole series.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Visser Three was shot exclusively from the waist up. I’m not sure the series lasted long enough to introduce Ax.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dawgstar posted:

I remember reading that Stine very intentionally and explicitly didn't want any of the goosebumps horror to be "real" horror-- nothing that could even slightly concivably real, just jumpscares and cliffhangers in book format that could be easily explained away with "yeah that can't actually happen" by any nearby adult

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I vaguely remember being unsettled as a kid by a story where there's time travel, and if you go to the future, a robot teacher will put you in a metal box and disintegrate you if you mess up

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was a blog where the author had reviewed something like every single Goosebumps book and one thing they were fond of doing was the fake out cliffhanger. Where something shocking happened at the end of the chapter only to be completely deflated at the start of the next.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bob Stine started as a joke book writer and never wanted to actually scare kids just give them a fun spook flavored adventure book. Seems like a chill dude

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

I vaguely remember being unsettled as a kid by a story where there's time travel, and if you go to the future, a robot teacher will put you in a metal box and disintegrate you if you mess up

there were a bunch that were unsettling:

be careful what you wish for: one of the mean girls bullying the protagonist wishes to be beautiful forever and turns into a statue
let's get invicible: the main character's bratty little brother gets permanently trapped in the mirror universe
say cheese and die: two bullies find the camera that the main characters were trying to get rid of cause it kills whoever it takes a picture of...and they both get their picture taken

poo poo was pretty messed up at times!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SkeletonHero posted:

Visser Three was shot exclusively from the waist up. I’m not sure the series lasted long enough to introduce Ax.

I believe Kathrine Applegate and Michael Grant started calling him the "Visser on a Stick". It's kind of hilarious because they were originally going to make the Andalites resemble stereotypical Grey aliens, but Scholastic was like "that's boring and it sucks, we want to shop this series around to TV studios and we need a cool keyart alien to market with", so they made the Andalites as pointlessly complex as they could think of at the time as a gently caress you to their corporate overlords which then meant the Andalites were horrifyingly unfeasible to bring to life with late 90s basic cable kids network money and technology :haw:

But god bless 'em, they at least tried to.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

There was a blog where the author had reviewed something like every single Goosebumps book and one thing they were fond of doing was the fake out cliffhanger. Where something shocking happened at the end of the chapter only to be completely deflated at the start of the next.

That'd be Blogger Beware, which is sadly only accessible through the Wayback Machine now, but I believe every post is archived apart from images/links.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220312013853/http://www.bloggerbeware.com/

The best part of it are the occasional diamonds in the rough when a particularly skilled ghost writer (or a particularly inspired-that-day Stine) puts a refreshing spin on the formula, like Werewolf Skin or More & More & More Tales to Give You Goosebumps.

Also I'll never forget "This is the one where it turns out they're all dogs or something".

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you bought the books for the sick rear end cover art not for the story noobs

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I noticed this even as a kid. It was like every single goddamn chapter

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The kind of writing that primes you to recognising how Dan brown wrote novels

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SkeletonHero posted:

They did, but I'm pretty sure he was in human morph almost all the time (for obvious reasons).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the most egregious was one where the main character ends a chapter by saying a giant grasshopper attacked him and then the next chapter opens with him going "that was a weird thing to imagine!"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

IIRC the most egregious was one where the main character ends a chapter by saying a giant grasshopper attacked him and then the next chapter opens with him going "that was a weird thing to imagine!"

lol

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
i remember i watched goosebumps and are you afraid of the dark in equal measure but can't remember which was the good one

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

I noticed this even as a kid. It was like every single goddamn chapter

This made them apparently really good for teaching kids how to read, though, since every chapter was exciting and gave them something to keep working at. I remember the reading tutors at my school just having tons of Goosebumps.

SexyBlindfold posted:

i remember i watched goosebumps and are you afraid of the dark in equal measure but can't remember which was the good one

Are You Afraid of the Dark? is kids telling stories around a campfire. It's the good one. In the finale they pull off the traditional shark-jumping moment of the kids themselves actually finding a spooky mystery, but it's the finale so it feels earned for it to be "real" for once and they all get to walk away going "okay, well now that we've messed with this stuff ourselves, no more stories" which is a pretty effective way to end it.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
have you ever

ever felt like this

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i totally believe R.L. stein had ghostwriters working on his books. there were like 60+ that were out when i was in like 5th grade. no way one human can write so many in such a short amount of time

SexyBlindfold posted:

both shows got progressively worse the longer they went on, but the thing with goosebumps was that it was never good

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mr Interweb posted:

i totally believe R.L. stein had ghostwriters working on his books. there were like 60+ that were out when i was in like 5th grade. no way one human can write so many in such a short amount of time

He also wasn't just doing Goosebumps, he was also pumping out Fear Street which was spooky/thriller stuff for the teen crowd. Both series also got a bunch of spin-offs or side books. With how formulaic Goosebumps was, I could almost believe one man could crank them out pretty quick, but not when you take into account just how much of Scholastic's catalog had the dude's name on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

me too, and i also would ilke to believe that they were sent the cover art and then told to write a book based on it, like superman comics

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

Are You Afraid of the Dark? is kids telling stories around a campfire. It's the good one. In the finale they pull off the traditional shark-jumping moment of the kids themselves actually finding a spooky mystery, but it's the finale so it feels earned for it to be "real" for once and they all get to walk away going "okay, well now that we've messed with this stuff ourselves, no more stories" which is a pretty effective way to end it.

I think that's also the premise of the reboot series they've done on-and-off with a rotating cast over the last couple of years. Basically the kids start telling spooky stories, and then the stories start coming for them and they've got to Scooby Doo their way out of poo poo.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

I occasionally watch "The Urban Rescue Ranch"

It's this guy trying to start his own wildlife rehabilitation program in Waco, Texas.
You can follow him from his humble beginnings, raising a rhea in his back yard, to his current - under construction compound.
A lot of people are going to find his editing style and zoomer humor annoying, but I watch for the Jackass style disrearguard for personal safety. This guy's youtube channel is going to end in a newspaper headline like "Waco Man Eaten by pet Alligator". Dude play-fights with his hand-raised kangaroo daily, and recently the kangaroo has started winning.
So, it's partly the satisfaction of watching someone achieve a life-goal of becoming Dr. Dolittle, and partly waiting for the footage of him loosing an eye to an ostrich.

Also his pet groundhog is cute.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah he rules. He's super passionate about it and has made great strides in fixing up the place from a literal crackhouse and abandoned auto junkyard to the pretty impressive setup he has now. He's also refused to take donations until the work on the house itself was done because it would be illegal to do thar, so he's responsible too, not getting caught in legal snafus so far, and now he can actually open up donations which is also good because I'm sure people have been champing at the bit to throw money at him

Also Big Ounce dies every episode. So sad. Wahoo!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Big Ounce is the true star of the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwvXQV2T24Y&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7zmu7u21Uo&hd=1

Did you know prairie dogs throw their heads in the air and go YAHOO when they're happy? I didn't but I'm glad I know now, it's adorable!

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Also Big Ounce dies every episode. So sad. Wahoo!

Very sad. If only they had let him eat that whole shark. Maybe then he wouldn't have driven that camaro into a corn field and died in a fiery explosion. Wahoo In Power Big Ounce

Busters fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Busters posted:

I occasionally watch "The Urban Rescue Ranch"

It's this guy trying to start his own wildlife rehabilitation program in Waco, Texas.
You can follow him from his humble beginnings, raising a rhea in his back yard, to his current - under construction compound.
A lot of people are going to find his editing style and zoomer humor annoying, but I watch for the Jackass style disrearguard for personal safety. This guy's youtube channel is going to end in a newspaper headline like "Waco Man Eaten by pet Alligator". Dude play-fights with his hand-raised kangaroo daily, and recently the kangaroo has started winning.
So, it's partly the satisfaction of watching someone achieve a life-goal of becoming Dr. Dolittle, and partly waiting for the footage of him loosing an eye to an ostrich.

Also his pet groundhog is cute.

My daughter and I have started watching this guy in the last two months or so, he's got some really great animals at the ranch - her favorites are Big Ounce, the dogs and the "cappy-blappies" - and it's overall a pretty wholesome channel. My wife can't watch his videos because his filming/editing style gives her motion sickness, and she is also not extremely online so she doesn't get a lot of the humor and references.

Captain Invictus posted:

Big Ounce is the true star of the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwvXQV2T24Y&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7zmu7u21Uo&hd=1

Did you know prairie dogs throw their heads in the air and go YAHOO when they're happy? I didn't but I'm glad I know now, it's adorable!

I'm pretty sure I started watching the channel because that first video popped up in my feed for some reason. Sometimes the algorithm delivers.