Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

lol internet. posted:

I'm just doing some testing. I have gotten through the image creation and deployment..

How are updates handled? Either through Intune policies or Azure Automate generally? I mean I guess you can update the image.. but I don't really want to do that.

Also when you do happen to update the image and you need to re-deploy. Do you delete all the existing session hosts? Then just add new session hosts with the new image? There's no reboot the VM and load the new image version?

My company builds new images with updates (and any new or updates apps required ). We then flag current VMs as retired and deploy new VMs. After a few days, we remove the old VMs. Because of they way tags are updated by the deployment template, we have to do some of this in the pipeline code, but it was to much hassle.

To expand on my cost statements, we are using non-persistent pooled VMs with profiles managed by fslogix. For our use case, it turns out we need high usage of a VM type before it has better per user cost than W365, and we endlessly run into applications and usage compatibility issues with Terminal Server that stymie that. There are some things coming up ( heavily revised app attach feature set ) that should help, but we aren’t there right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Feels like there's a lot of outdated documentation out there, but is it not possible to use fslogix style profiles across a pooled set of virtual desktop hosts in Azure without ADDS? If you're all AzureAD top to bottom, you're out of luck?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
A director requested the ability for staff to have a dial-in number for Teams meetings and from what I can tell, this was made free last year, I just need to purchase the free license (that’s called dial-out) and assign to users.

I tested it on my account and it seemed to work no problem. Is there anything I need to be careful of before assigning licenses out? Like a way for somebody to accidentally rack up charges?

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Cyks posted:

A director requested the ability for staff to have a dial-in number for Teams meetings and from what I can tell, this was made free last year, I just need to purchase the free license (that’s called dial-out) and assign to users.

I tested it on my account and it seemed to work no problem. Is there anything I need to be careful of before assigning licenses out? Like a way for somebody to accidentally rack up charges?

Similar scenario and question from me. I need to accomplish the same thing, but when I try to purchase the required free license, I get a message stating that I'm not eligible to purchase it :|

Any ideas?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

sporkstand posted:

Similar scenario and question from me. I need to accomplish the same thing, but when I try to purchase the required free license, I get a message stating that I'm not eligible to purchase it :|

Any ideas?

Do you have any of the following licenses already?

Enterprise: Microsoft 365 E3, Office 365 E3, Office 365 E1
Frontline: Microsoft 365 F3, Microsoft 365 F1, Office 365 F3
SMB: Microsoft 365 Business Basic, Business Standard, Business Premium

If so, do you have them direct through Microsoft or through a CSP? If it's through a CSP you'll probably need to buy the license through them even though it's free.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

snackcakes posted:

Do you have any of the following licenses already?

Enterprise: Microsoft 365 E3, Office 365 E3, Office 365 E1
Frontline: Microsoft 365 F3, Microsoft 365 F1, Office 365 F3
SMB: Microsoft 365 Business Basic, Business Standard, Business Premium

If so, do you have them direct through Microsoft or through a CSP? If it's through a CSP you'll probably need to buy the license through them even though it's free.

That's kinda what I figured. We buy our O365 E3 licenses through a CSP I'll reach out to them next week. Thanks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dug into this further (probably 20 hours of work on this), the patches were a red herring. For some reason when a Windows 365 Enterprise PC deploys it doesn't have CredGuard enabled, or it has it enabled but isn't doing anything with it yet - I'm fairly sure MS are enabling this at the host level as there seems to be no admin-controllable options relating to it. CredGuard enables itself after a period of time and a reboot of the guest instance, which happened to line up perfectly with the things hitting a maintenance window and applying updates, and the cumulative updates and CU previews all needed reboots.

Looks like this app is really bad and was trying to do unconstrained Kerberos delegation which CredGuard won't let happen, so it was failing.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Is there a way to prevent standard users from creating subscriptions within an Azure tenant? We've had a few incidences lately where random employees have created subscriptions and we're looking to prevent that.
I've already set AllowAdHocSubscriptions to false but that seems to have no effect. I've talked to our SIEM (ArcticWolf) to see if they can at least alert on this, but they can't...because they can only do monitoring per subscription, not at the management group level. I've restricted access to the Azure portal for non-admin users as well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There definitely is, because we limit it, but I don't know off hand how it's done exactly. I think there's an RBAC role for creating subscriptions, maybe everybody is in a group that has that role assigned?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Your RBAC must be a dumpster fire if that’s even possible. Don’t permission everyone as owner/contributor at the MG level, grant permissions on the subscriptions people are supposed to have access to. There are particulars between MCAs and EAs and straight PAYG too but still can’t imagine how ‘random’ employees are creating subscriptions

Edit: you might see MSDN subs people are creating too but those aren’t problematic really unless you’ve overpermissioned people

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 15, 2023

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Thanks, I'll take a look at roles and related RBAC stuff tomorrow. I just started this job 3 months ago and I'm finding all kinds of messed up poo poo security-wise so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s a PITA so I feel for you. You’ll have to check all the group memberships where RBAC has been assigned as well. If it’s all individual assignments it’s easier but also more lol-worthy

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The best is when you find rando AWS tenants that are running production workloads for customers and the dude left a year ago.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Lucky me, there's a good chance I'll get some training and hands on experience with Intune before layoffs knock me out.

:yotj:

intune is a full rear end job if you're spinning iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Android plates. Once you dial it in the only challenge is keeping your packages up to date.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Weirdly complicated situation and ask.
I've got three on prem domains in play, and one cloud side. I'd like to make a conditional access policy that only computers joined to one of these domains can become registered devices in Azure (and thus have outlook and OneDrive sync to them). Full azure AD is out for the moment, but I can also control access via requiring an installed app if that's a possibility. Can it be done via standard conditional access policy, do I need to dig into Intune, is it impossible, or other answer?
I tried googling for this but the results are a mishmash spread over the last ten years of MS changing how poo poo works.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

incoherent posted:

intune is a full rear end job if you're spinning iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Android plates. Once you dial it in the only challenge is keeping your packages up to date.

One of my current projects is evaluating InTune for the lab environment and comparing it to KACE, which we currently use for proactive support, reporting, and security patching. The proactive stuff is taking advantage of a KACE feature called Custom Inventory Objects. Those run any single command line command, batch or PowerShell, and store it as a field in the database. I can do things like have every machine run 'wmic diskdrive get status' at every check-in and alert if the phrase "fail" shows up. You can stretch "one command line statement" out a lot if you're willing to get liberal with semicolons in PowerShell. I think I have 5 in a check on the size of a specific folder I wanted to report on.

We're gonna spend a couple of quarters on this and I'm gonna and up reporting that they complement each other, but there's no compelling reason to ditch our on-prem AD until Global wants to move the whole company.

LOL, that can wait until I retire.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Silly Newbie posted:

Weirdly complicated situation and ask.
I've got three on prem domains in play, and one cloud side. I'd like to make a conditional access policy that only computers joined to one of these domains can become registered devices in Azure (and thus have outlook and OneDrive sync to them). Full azure AD is out for the moment, but I can also control access via requiring an installed app if that's a possibility. Can it be done via standard conditional access policy, do I need to dig into Intune, is it impossible, or other answer?
I tried googling for this but the results are a mishmash spread over the last ten years of MS changing how poo poo works.

Do you mean registered? If they are devices you manage (which they are since they are domain joined) then would approaching this by having one domain Azure AD join through GPO, and set the other two domains to prevent people doing an Azure AD join?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you mean registered? If they are devices you manage (which they are since they are domain joined) then would approaching this by having one domain Azure AD join through GPO, and set the other two domains to prevent people doing an Azure AD join?

Essentially I'm looking to prevent devices that don't belong to a domain I control from being registered to a user in azure.
Or, from another angle, stop people from configuring outlook and OneDrive on their home computers or random customer vms.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you'd be better off using conditional access to restrict access to Outlook/OneDrive, you can't really restrict people from doing an Azure AD Register

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

I think you'd be better off using conditional access to restrict access to Outlook/OneDrive, you can't really restrict people from doing an Azure AD Register

this

azure ad register is really meant to allow the end user to create a token when they log into some app or service that makes your life easier. don't gently caress with it (and I don't think you can, I'm not aware of any web hooks that would let you interrupt the registration process)

It would be much better to have some kind of affirmative control around the applications that matter to you. don't want somebody checking mail on a non-corporate-owned device? Create that as a conditional access rule for joined-only and bam, you're done. Far more straightforward, responsive, and affirmative than trying to juggle gatekeeping the myriad ways a device can be registered

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What you'll find is that Conditional Access is a licensed feature that you have to use to take away access - you can't set things up to be along the lines of "no access unless conditional access evaluates things and grants it", but :capitalism:

As much as I dislike Microsoft's business practises I don't think it's viable to operate an M365 organisation without access to at least the Entra ID P1 features.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Silly Newbie posted:

Essentially I'm looking to prevent devices that don't belong to a domain I control from being registered to a user in azure.
Or, from another angle, stop people from configuring outlook and OneDrive on their home computers or random customer vms.

I'm rereading this and I think what you want is to be able to restrict OneDrive and Outlook access to corporate devices. That means you're looking for Joined-only conditional access rules (not registered). I'd even argue you want Intune-only rules if your business is this thoughtful about data access, so that you can enforce things like bitlocker as well.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Potato Salad posted:

I'm rereading this and I think what you want is to be able to restrict OneDrive and Outlook access to corporate devices. That means you're looking for Joined-only conditional access rules (not registered). I'd even argue you want Intune-only rules if your business is this thoughtful about data access, so that you can enforce things like bitlocker as well.

This is correct, but no devices are AzureAD joined. I'm welding four companies together, getting everything off their different on prem domains and into AzureAD is a 2024 task. That's why I was hoping to be able to do something with a CA like "allow outlook if a member of contoso.com or example.local".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It might be worth looking at Cloud Sync which can sync multiple unconnected ADs into AAD and using that to sync the devices, and then seeing if conditional access works. I'd try and avoid AAD Hybrid but it could work alright for this application if your plans longer term were to ditch the domain join as hardware is refreshed.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thanks Ants posted:

It might be worth looking at Cloud Sync which can sync multiple unconnected ADs into AAD and using that to sync the devices, and then seeing if conditional access works. I'd try and avoid AAD Hybrid but it could work alright for this application if your plans longer term were to ditch the domain join as hardware is refreshed.

That's basically the long term plan. Build some back end, then determine a cut date where everything new device goes out azureAD joined and we explain to people how to temporarily authenticate to some legacy domain stuff until it's all converted.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cyks posted:

Late reply but the dial out minute pool is the only thing to worry about here and that’s not a charge thing so much as a pool of minutes to use only if someone brings up the dial pad to call someone and conference someone into a teams meeting. I personally never use that but ran across a weird number of scenarios where that became a thing.

Toll free conference number usage is the only per minute charge to worry about so unless you set up a toll free number you should be fine (but if you do set up a toll free number be careful as that is super easy to end up with helpdesk levels folks provisioning on accounts if they don’t know about it)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
How the hell do you disable god damned Windows Hello for Business. Any time I try to join azure ad from the oobe wizard, or use a ppkg to provision the machine, windows will very cheerfully tell me to go gently caress myself, we don't care that you have it disabled in every single place you could find in Intune/Entra/Azure, "Your Organization Requires Hello for Business", then it forces me to make a pin.

It's driving me mad, I've followed every stupid 'disable hello' blog post I could find, made several configuration policies, disabled it in the device provisioning page, and this loving laptop just refuses to just let me sign in like normal. I must have factory reset it 10 times today trying to fix this.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Have you tried disabling this setting?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/passportforwork-csp
UsePassportForWork

Windows may still prompt for local Hello, but that can be disabled from here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/policy-csp-devicelock
DevicePasswordEnabled
PreventEnablingLockScreenCamera

But also why would you disable WHFB?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shared workstations scenario maybe? Support nightmare: "I set up my pin two hours ago and now it's not working!" "Is it the same computer?" "It says Dell on the screen, of course it's the same!"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

nielsm posted:

Shared workstations scenario maybe? Support nightmare: "I set up my pin two hours ago and now it's not working!" "Is it the same computer?" "It says Dell on the screen, of course it's the same!"

Shared workstations, about a third of my users have a computer they use daily, the rest either use whatever's free that morning, or use a shared kiosk-style machine to check our line of business app. Random warehouse dudes don't get issued a laptop, the belly up to the computer bench and check a manifest online.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Have you tried disabling this setting?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/passportforwork-csp
UsePassportForWork

Windows may still prompt for local Hello, but that can be disabled from here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/policy-csp-devicelock
DevicePasswordEnabled
PreventEnablingLockScreenCamera

But also why would you disable WHFB?

I tried adding that first setting to the ppkg in Windows Configuration Designer, and now when the laptop tries to read the package, it completely shits up the machine and needs a factory reset. Fails to apply the security policy, fails to join AD, and just hangs in a bizarre state of constant 1 minute reboots.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow, hopefully I'll get something usable so I can put this entire 'imaging new devices' project to bed.

Also, is there a good resource for Windows Configuration Designer errors and issues that isn't the MSFT documentation?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think autopilot can stop Hello enrolment as well which if you're doing this at OOBE might be the way to go

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Meanwhile, I am about a month away from rolling out WHfB to the entire organization. Just need to draft the communications and put in the CR basically. It’s been in pilot since April with what appears to be near 100% adoption rate.

Only about 1/3 of the fleet has any biometric capability but every new laptop we buy now has fingerprint/face camera.

Then we turn on Okta fastpass for everyone and stop changing passwords altogether because of the layered security approach. Already working through the policy changes to support this.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I don’t think I’ve ever solved the WHfB prompt on shard laptops myself but I got around it by only assigning F3 licenses to employees who are not given their own device. They just log on to a shard laptop as guest and sign in to their account in a browser.
Works well for what we need but I need to disable sign in as an option still as we keep getting tickets about how they tried to log in and it fails after an hour despite explaining multiple times they can’t do that.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I'm gearing up for a 2024 project to convert my org to entra joined and Intune instead of legacy domains, and I've hit a stumbling block. I want to know if what I want is even possible before I chase my tail on it.
I'm administratively setting the local Administrators group using an Account Protection policy in Endpoint Security in Intune. I would like the local admins group to consist of one local account controlled by LAPS and also the members of a group in Azure AD.
I tried doing a manual policy to include the custom local account that I want and the SID of the azure ad group, and also just calling out azure ad users by domain\username, but I'm not having much luck.
Is what I'm looking for possible?

Edit - I figured this out, had to use a security policy to modify the name of the built in admin account used with laps.

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 16, 2023

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I had to migrate an Enterprise CA from a 2012 server to 2022 the other day. It was surprisingly painless.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Azure AD question.

I have a user getting locked out of his account because of multiple failed login attempts from other countries. He will never be in those countries, so I want to straight up block and discard those login attempts without it affecting his account here in America. Conditional access only kicks in after a successful authentication, so I can't use that (because the account is never successfully authenticating outside the country, hence the lockout). What is The Right Way way to set this up so that brute force attacks from outside the country always fail, and inside the country is not locked out because of them?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

afaik there is no way to block sign-ins prior to the authentication with aad

locking on failed logins is an outdated practice anyway specifically for this reason

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moving the user to passwordless is probably the easiest way to solve this issue.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

There isn’t any way to force enabling passwordless via authenticator is there? I use to show the steps to enable it back when onboarding groups were smaller but that kind of ran away from me.

I know I can do a CA to require it but that’s going to lock people out while I’m more interested in a campaign to get them on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If this means what I think it means I am going to become engorged. This gives Microsoft at least five get-outs on annoying poo poo they'll do to Edge in the future.

Edit: Just groups for now https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/entra/identity/hybrid/cloud-sync/how-to-configure-entra-to-active-directory

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 15, 2023