Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

InnercityGriot posted:

I think until the system proves it can't lift the floor on any QB that plays in the system, Shanahan coaches are what you want. Demeco Ryans is a good coach and a defensive hire, sure, but a huge part of why the Texans are so improved this year is because Bobby Slowik is getting solid offensive efficiency out of that team. We can see the McDaniel effect as well, McVay is getting good results out of a pretty low talent Rams team.

How does this translate to Stefanski, LeFleurs, Anthony Lynn (Mike Shannahan disciple), and Arthur Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Roasted Donut posted:

Tomlin isn't a CEO type at all, he calls the defense.

so just like every CEO in america, he's extremely hands-on and earns his very high paycheck

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Forrest on Fire posted:

How does this translate to Stefanski, LeFleurs, Anthony Lynn (Mike Shannahan disciple), and Arthur Smith

I should clarify that I mean guys who worked closely with Kyle, not Mike. I think working with Kyle is more than just learning to run wide zone and specifically, his play action and passing philosophies

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Forrest on Fire posted:

Arthur Smith is bizarre because he's an effective OC but god the HC performance is so uneven. There were stretches last year where he was clearly getting more out of the offense than he should but this year its terrible.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Arthur Smith is bizarre because he's an effective OC but god the HC performance is so uneven. There were stretches last year where he was clearly getting more out of the offense than he should but this year its terrible.

How much of that was having a vet as starter in Mariotta? I feel things dropped off once he was gone, but '22 might as well be a decade away to me rn and I'm misremembering

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Shinji2015 posted:

How much of that was having a vet as starter in Mariotta? I feel things dropped off once he was gone, but '22 might as well be a decade away to me rn and I'm misremembering

I honestly can't tell how much is Ridder being an issue vs Smith. Like Smith hosed up so many playcalls last week he directly led to one of Ridder's INTs. The talent is definitely better, and they're in every game so there are some clear improvements. Idk the falcons are a weird team this year. There is no game on their schedule I'd call a guaranteed win or loss, that's how much variance they have in performance

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Stefanski was a Vikings lifer for 10ish years before Cleveland. Dude also sucked as a coordinator, he just says enough corporate jargan that people were impressed with him

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Stefanski was a Vikings lifer for 10ish years before Cleveland. Dude also sucked as a coordinator, he just says enough corporate jargan that people were impressed with him

His one year as an OC was actually really good, until losing to the 9ers in the playoffs.

Like you said though, he isn't a Shanny disciple. If anything, it's a real roundabout Reid disciple if anything.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my coach is a joe philbin disciple

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cavauro posted:

my coach is a joe philbin disciple

Mines a two towers disciple

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He may not be the coach that Cleveland needs, he is the coach that Jimmy Haslam deserves

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

Mariota sucked rear end too. If you look at his 2022 stats most of them are in the same neighborhood as like Davis Mills and Russ. And it was even more egregious on deep balls where he was literally below 32nd. Which means his already bad overall stats were being juiced by a ton of meaningless short stuff

I’m sure his veteran presence had some benefits but “completing passes” wasn’t among them

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I wonder who will the Chargers will hire.

Well.

I wonder who they WILL hire and I also wonder who they SHOULD hire.

They are different lists.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Flikken posted:

He may not be the coach that Cleveland needs, he is the coach that Jimmy Haslam deserves

I mean, he's still got a winning record. He's far and away the best coach the city has had since Marty. Even BB had a significantly worse record in town.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

I mean, he's still got a winning record. He's far and away the best coach the city has had since Marty. Even BB had a significantly worse record in town.

Ches has hated Stefanski since mid 2020.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Docjowles posted:

Mariota sucked rear end too. If you look at his 2022 stats most of them are in the same neighborhood as like Davis Mills and Russ. And it was even more egregious on deep balls where he was literally below 32nd. Which means his already bad overall stats were being juiced by a ton of meaningless short stuff

I’m sure his veteran presence had some benefits but “completing passes” wasn’t among them

I miss the Mariota that torched Fsu in the Rose Bowl

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Flikken posted:

Ches has hated Stefanski since mid 2020.

Oh I know haha. He's never been happy.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

Oh I know haha. He's never been happy.

He may get his wish anyway since Haslam is an idiot.

Having a lame duck head coach next year, due to contract length and not impatience is going to be uncharted territory for us.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Flikken posted:

No, the coach Jimmy Haslam deserves is Josh McDaniels. We just don't live in a timeline that would allow something that funny to happen.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Woozie66 posted:

His one year as an OC was actually really good, until losing to the 9ers in the playoffs.

Like you said though, he isn't a Shanny disciple. If anything, it's a real roundabout Reid disciple if anything.

10th ranked offense for 1 year. It's wild that he got hype. Like that's fine. He can stick around through Watsons contract so I can keep making fun of his dumb playcalling.

Best browns coach since Schottie ain't exactly a high bar. Stefanski is all of 2 games above 500.

Q_res posted:

No, the coach Jimmy Haslam deserves is Josh McDaniels. We just don't live in a timeline that would allow something that funny to happen.

I'm still surprised Haslam didn't land McDaniels. He visited for like 4 days during that hiring cycle. Really want to know what kept the deal from going through.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WEEK 7 UPDATE

A lot has changed and ... not much has changed at all. Weird season so far.

COOL

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
Mike Tomlin, PIttsburgh Steelers
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
MIke Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Kevin O'Connell, Minnesota Vikings
Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams

Alright guys, look, the Jets are 3-3 with Zach Wilson and have wins over the Bills and Eagles. I'm done with Saleh discourse until further notice. Right now he's closer to COTY contention than he is to the hot seat.

I'm not sure what to make of the Browns. This feels eerily similar to last year, when they were scratching out wins with a replacement-level QB, only for Nasty Man to come in and poo poo the bed. It seems like he's out indefinitely, so that problem might just solve itself for Stefanski. Nobody will bat an eye at P.J. Walker going 7-10.

Somehow the Raiders are .500 despite being unwatchable misery. I've seen little to indicate that McDaniels is in real trouble right now.

Fat Mike's job is only safe until their next playoff loss. Stay tuned.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
Sean Payton, Denver Broncos
Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers
Jonathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals

The Broncos meltdown is really funny, but I'm not entertaining any serious thoughts of Payton leaving. They invested way too much into this experiment to just immediately punt it. If anything, this makes it easy for him to scapegoat Russ and bring in a guy he really wants. That marriage never had any hope of lasting.

MILD

Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers -- They needed an immediate palette-cleanser after that playoff meltdown. A 2-3 start is ... not that. This is just not a well-constructed roster, they basically need Herbert to be perfect every week and even that's not enough sometimes. It never feels like Staley is getting the most out of his players, and his gameday decisions continue to baffle. I don't like the vibes on this team at all.

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders -- Yet another team that's just kinda hanging around .500 and not moving the needle either way. Washington has had some good moments but also some really bad ones. Sam Howell has been up and down, more down lately, and taking sacks at a historic rate. We keep gassing up the defense as a potential top-10 unit, and then they get cooked by Justin Fields. Very hard to make heads or tails of them, so I'm inclined to cool down Rivera until something drastically changes.

Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons -- Okay, so what the hell is this guy's deal? The Washington loss was a masterclass in bad decisions and game-changing mistakes. Mostly coming from Desmond Ridder, who has not risen to the occasion this year. The Falcons are still 3-3 and well in play for the NFC South, but if they keep giving away games like that, it's hard to see them going far.

MODERATE

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots -- Sooooooo this might be real. Most of the discussion about the Patriots was that they were just kinda mid and boring to watch. I'm not sure many people expected them to be one of the worst teams in football, with Mac Jones somehow getting worse and the defense ravaged by injuries. Now there's a ton of reports that Robert Kraft is deeply unhappy, as the team is straight-up not competitive most weeks. We really might be seeing the beginning of the end here, at long last.

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears -- "Whoa there Benne, not a Spicy Hot yet???" Nah I'm not quite there yet. This early in the year I mostly save that for potential midseason firings, and Eberflus might be stayed until Week 18. The Bears have been more competent in recent weeks, but still not that good, and now Fields is sidelined with a gnarly thumb injury. I don't know why anyone would want to watch this team unless they're getting paid money to cover it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gotta see if dis beeeeyaaagent kid is the Franchise Quarterback Savior

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Riverboat Ron should be 100% nuclear hot, even if he somehow wins a playoff game

New ownership wants their guy

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Benne posted:

MODERATE

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears -- "Whoa there Benne, not a Spicy Hot yet???" Nah I'm not quite there yet. This early in the year I mostly save that for potential midseason firings, and Eberflus might be stayed until Week 18. The Bears have been more competent in recent weeks, but still not that good, and now Fields is sidelined with a gnarly thumb injury. I don't know why anyone would want to watch this team unless they're getting paid money to cover it.

I started and stopped this post like three times trying to come up with a funny answer about this which is an answer in itself, isn't it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In a weird way I feel like Eberflus' seat has cooled off a bit in the last few weeks, between the Bears getting their first win (and showing life in their two most recent losses) and now Fields being out for an indeterminant amount of time. We're a long way from the start of the season where a mediocre Packers team hung 40 on them in Chicago and their DC left under what may or may not have been an FBI investigation. The scenario's already forming in my mind's eye where they use the "starting QB injury" mulligan, draft Caleb Williams with the higher of their two firsts, Eberflus gets a year to show he can make it work with a better(?) QB, and he gets replaced by...let's say Mike McCarthy, really anyone with the QB Whisperer tag assigned to them. Maybe he gets fired at the end of this season but I think he's out of midseason firing territory right now. Wheel in the sky keeps on turning.

Also, you think Brian Daboll is cool with the season NYG is having, and the sideline/media freakouts he's been caught in? TBF I may be inflating these in my memory, but this is not what a team that won a playoff game last year should look like.

E: Also I had a hatepost for Aaron Glenn (Lions DC) ready to go for this thread after their Seattle loss, but I held back and am glad that I did.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't agree with those rankings at all. Staley, Eberflus and Rivera are all one million precent gone at the end of the year if not before.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I don't agree with those rankings at all. Staley, Eberflus and Rivera are all one million precent gone at the end of the year if not before.

Yeah I think I agree with all of these. Especially Rivera. Maybe in an on the field sense he’s not OH MY GOD bad but it would be absolutely shocking if he is there next year. New owners can’t have the most boring coach in the league

When is Staley’s contract up? I do put stock in Ross’ assessment that Spanos won’t buy out a fired coach cause he is a cheap gently caress

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I think I agree with all of these. Especially Rivera. Maybe in an on the field sense he’s not OH MY GOD bad but it would be absolutely shocking if he is there next year. New owners can’t have the most boring coach in the league

When is Staley’s contract up? I do put stock in Ross’ assessment that Spanos won’t buy out a fired coach cause he is a cheap gently caress

After next season. But he's only making 4m per year.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If the Cards can keep up their scrappy never say die performances for the rest of the season, and I think they can, Gannon will probably be safe for another year.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a neat cape posted:

I'm kind of surprised more players don't try to flex on their coaches given they make 10x the money.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gannon has outperformed expectations already. They’ve got to be one of the best looking 1 win teams ever. He’s back unless the directive from ownership was “go 0-17 for Caleb or else”. Dude is masterfully walking the line

I thought he was going to be an all time clown but hell they have better vibes than the Pats right now

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 19, 2023

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

C-Euro posted:

E: Also I had a hatepost for Aaron Glenn (Lions DC) ready to go for this thread after their Seattle loss, but I held back and am glad that I did.

There were a lot of people who wanted Glenn gone, especially after last year. It's really incredible the kind of turnaround the Lions' defense has had — going from one of the worst defenses in the league (Dead last in YPG, 28th in rushing yards per game, 29th in passing yards) to one of the best (Now 7th, 1st, and 18th, respectively) is a frankly spectacular turnaround.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Also, you think Brian Daboll is cool with the season NYG is having, and the sideline/media freakouts he's been caught in? TBF I may be inflating these in my memory, but this is not what a team that won a playoff game last year should look like.

I think that the playoff win and COTY gives Daboll 1 year of coolness, especially given how many holes the roster has. If he doesn't right the ship next year, then the heat comes in fast.

Reich, on the other hand, I think is at least mildly spicy right now. This was a rebuilding year, sure, but winless always looks real bad, and the play calling looks awful. Plus the open comments about Tepper is not good for long term prospects.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In terms of lovely things I think the giants kinda need to hold the line.

Daboll and Gaints look back but that team is at least another draft and another free agent class away from not being god awful offensively.

poo poo, Carolina too. Part of the problem with the previous regime was the mickey mouse defensive scheme and absolutely no one wanting anything to do with a lame duck coach last year. The middle of the defense is still hot dogshit and the linebackers and depth just about everywhere need an overhaul.

Reich hasn't been great so far but there's a lot that needs to change personnel wise for anyone to succeed with the Panthers. I'm hoping we see some improvements with the play calling duties change.

My gut tells me Reich will stay on regardless of what happens this year but the team needs to show something down the stretch.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I think a good bit of Reich's job security is going to depend on how the next few weeks go. He's already given up play-calling duties going into the bye, and afterwards Carolina enters a stretch with some winnable games (Houston, Indy, @Chicago); they'll have two weeks to prepare for Houston, while Indy and Chicago are going to be out their starting QBs. If Carolina leaves Chicago 0-9 I think Reich's seat will be at least moderately warm, because it's really not going to look good losing to a Tyson Bagent-led Bears team when you still haven't gotten your first win yet

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Gully Foyle posted:

I think that the playoff win and COTY gives Daboll 1 year of coolness, especially given how many holes the roster has. If he doesn't right the ship next year, then the heat comes in fast.
The big question with the Giants is still what they do with Jones, and how much Daboll and Schoen tied their boat to him. If they told Mara that he was definitely The One, then I think they have less slack over the failure of the offence. If they had a more ambivalent assessment of Jones combined with a view they weren't going to be able to draft a franchise QB (poor choice/lack draft capital) then perhaps you give then a shot at drafting a QB irrespective of how bad this year is to avoid the coaching merry-go-round

The other issue withb Daboll is his temperament. Guys do genuinely love playing for him but poo poo wears thin a lot quicker when you're not winning. He could definitely have cast the decision to run at the end of the first half as a failure of process rather than publicy chewing out Taylor.

https://twitter.com/NFLGameDay/status/1576969627296354305

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 19, 2023

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Yeah, exactly. The Spanoses will get rid of a dude, if they only have a year left to pay the contract out; what they don't do is ever get rid of coaches who have multiple years left on the deal. The Chargers never get rid of coaches until it's a year too late.

The only way Staley keeps his job is if he wins a playoff game, which doesn't look terribly likely right now. The defense is still largely pretty terrible, even if they weren't the reason why they lost against Dallas. The offense looks a lot better than it did last year, but Herbert is probably going through the most up-and-down stretch of his career so far. They're going to have to have a soft rebuild after this season, since all of Bosa, Mack, and Mike Williams are going to be gone by next offseason anyway. (and Keenan might be gone as well, though I would personally still want to keep him) If Staley isn't a dude who a team can win with, even with the generally shallow depth the Chargers have, then he's definitely not a person who can or should be leading any sort of rebuilding effort either.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

I think a good bit of Reich's job security is going to depend on how the next few weeks go. He's already given up play-calling duties going into the bye, and afterwards Carolina enters a stretch with some winnable games (Houston, Indy, @Chicago); they'll have two weeks to prepare for Houston, while Indy and Chicago are going to be out their starting QBs. If Carolina leaves Chicago 0-9 I think Reich's seat will be at least moderately warm, because it's really not going to look good losing to a Tyson Bagent-led Bears team when you still haven't gotten your first win yet

Calling out the owner- for Young over Stroud and for meddling - in so many words has to really heat up your seat too, right? And Tepper unlike the Spanoses can definately afford to just get himself a yes man

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

Yeah, exactly. The Spanoses will get rid of a dude, if they only have a year left to pay the contract out; what they don't do is ever get rid of coaches who have multiple years left on the deal. The Chargers never get rid of coaches until it's a year too late.

The only way Staley keeps his job is if he wins a playoff game, which doesn't look terribly likely right now. The defense is still largely pretty terrible, even if they weren't the reason why they lost against Dallas. The offense looks a lot better than it did last year, but Herbert is probably going through the most up-and-down stretch of his career so far. They're going to have to have a soft rebuild after this season, since all of Bosa, Mack, and Mike Williams are going to be gone by next offseason anyway. (and Keenan might be gone as well, though I would personally still want to keep him) If Staley isn't a dude who a team can win with, even with the generally shallow depth the Chargers have, then he's definitely not a person who can or should be leading any sort of rebuilding effort either.

I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect Herbert to look flawless when he's learning his third new system in four years in the NFL.

Keenan and Bosa will be back (too expensive to move off of Bosa before 2025), but agreed on Mike and Mack. I just hope there's some way we can retain Moore because making Justin learn 4 systems in 5 years is unacceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
The fanbase really wants to hang McDaniels' lifeless corpse from a bridge as a warning to future coaches but Mark Davis is gutless and probably won't fire him.

We might be 3-3 but it's a really ugly 3-3 and everyone pretty much hates him