Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I always feel comforted when I'm around paneling, mostly because I grew up around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Or maybe it's the escaping formaldehyde.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Wayne Knight posted:

Can’t wait for the HGTV greige era to end.
Sure, but don’t hold your breath. There’s still plenty of houses sporting the early 90s oak and brass look.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Remember when HGTV and the DIY network actually showed cool tools and informative and educational poo poo and not just people flipping houses and fake as hell house buying shows.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Unperson_47 posted:

Remember when HGTV and the DIY network actually showed cool tools and informative and educational poo poo and not just people flipping houses and fake as hell house buying shows.

I remember when HGTV was the new form of mindless content being compared to classic informative content like This Old House. Like we just keep sliding further from any point.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the thing that pisses me off about the fake grey is that you can buy relatively decent cheap wood, leave it out in the weather for a few months, and it'll take zero effort to make it look exactly like the plastic mimic flooring, but just be normal inexpensive wood that doesn't puke chems or toxic microplastics or whatever. The fact that oil is extracted and recombobulated into a lovely synthetic version of something that's easily gotten for way less work or energy consumption is deranged.

gently caress, if you can't wait a few months put hydrogen peroxide on the wood and leave it in the sun even. Get fuckin 1x4s or w/e it'll be fine. Once it greys out finish it normally. Unless i'm deadass wrong the whole thing is just assinine :cloud:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve never seen any wood that could be reasonably used as flooring which was cheaper than vinyl or concrete tiles.

Related, you do know floorboards need tongue and groove sides to hold them together, right?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I bought a time capsule 1965 ranch from the widow who had it built.

I have wood paneling but mine is on the ceiling.

Apparently the hot ticket for wall paneling and floor was cork as I've got a cork accent wall in my living room and cork floors in my bedrooms.

In the basement they went all out and alternated cork and mirrors with gold leaf that look like marble for the accent wall.

I'm lazy and would rather wait for cork to come back into style than remodel but sadly the lower half of the cork around the living room windows was starting to crumble aside from where it was glued to the yellow wall underneath so I've got a brown and yellow polkadot pattern that I need to address when I have some vacation time and ambition.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
:eyepop: Your house is the very best in obsolete and failed technology. It looks like you even have close-enough vintage hifi gear in there too :allears: Please never change it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
That looks like actual wood planks and not lovely paneling on your ceiling. Kickass house all the way through. I wish cork was more durable, it's a neat material.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the thing that pisses me off about the fake grey is that you can buy relatively decent cheap wood, leave it out in the weather for a few months, and it'll take zero effort to make it look exactly like the plastic mimic flooring, but just be normal inexpensive wood that doesn't puke chems or toxic microplastics or whatever. The fact that oil is extracted and recombobulated into a lovely synthetic version of something that's easily gotten for way less work or energy consumption is deranged.

gently caress, if you can't wait a few months put hydrogen peroxide on the wood and leave it in the sun even. Get fuckin 1x4s or w/e it'll be fine. Once it greys out finish it normally. Unless i'm deadass wrong the whole thing is just assinine :cloud:

Idk if u grasp how cheap and durable hydrocarbon polymer is across the board, how easy it is to install, how expensive real wood is, or how both might, "puke chems" especially if the wood is chemically treated,

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I remember when HGTV was the new form of mindless content being compared to classic informative content like This Old House. Like we just keep sliding further from any point.

This Old House and The Woodwright's Shop ftw

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
don't care your arguments mean nothing :cloud: aint how we did it in my day the whole point of grey flooring is it isn't fancy wood it's some reclaimed old crap

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

my turn in the barrel posted:

I bought a time capsule 1965 ranch from the widow who had it built.

I have wood paneling but mine is on the ceiling.

Apparently the hot ticket for wall paneling and floor was cork as I've got a cork accent wall in my living room and cork floors in my bedrooms.

In the basement they went all out and alternated cork and mirrors with gold leaf that look like marble for the accent wall.

I'm lazy and would rather wait for cork to come back into style than remodel but sadly the lower half of the cork around the living room windows was starting to crumble aside from where it was glued to the yellow wall underneath so I've got a brown and yellow polkadot pattern that I need to address when I have some vacation time and ambition.

holy poo poo I love your house

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

:eyepop: Your house is the very best in obsolete and failed technology. It looks like you even have close-enough vintage hifi gear in there too :allears: Please never change it.

Good eye it's actually Marantz's top of the line in ~1975 510m amp, 6300 turntable, 3200 pre, 150 oscilloscope tuner hooked to a pair of Ohm i speakers which are conventional instead of Walsh design but were quite possibly the first home speakers with integrated subwoofers.

https://ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/i/

The pioneer RT-707 was a recent $20 find at a garage sale that I rehabbed and is a compromise because Marantz never made a reel to reel. It's one of the smallest reel to reels and it actually fits in with the stack once I put some wood rack mount covers I got off eBay on it.

The house itself has all kinds of obsolete technology still installed like combined antenna rotator and output wall jacks, pushmatic circuit breakers, 100% copper water supply and sewer drainage plumbing etc...

My next project is setting up a voip system that will let me run pulse dial house phones so I can teach my 5 year old how to use analog phones in emergencies and so I can have an excuse to put out some of the phones I've thrifted like the rest of my furniture.

Enhance

my turn in the barrel has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Oct 19, 2023

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

The house itself has all kinds of obsolete technology still installed like combined antenna rotator and output wall jacks, pushmatic circuit breakers, 100% copper water supply and sewer drainage plumbing etc...

Why did they need to rotate the antenna on such a regular basis that they've installed walljacks for it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Wipfmetz posted:

Why did they need to rotate the antenna on such a regular basis that they've installed walljacks for it?
Because TV antennas are directional and in some locations the networks' transmission towers were at significantly different headings.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Indeed. And in the case of Europe, to receive a neighboring country's TV channels, you also needed to point the antenna towards that country's TV transmitter. In the VHF days the range could be very large, so many people within about 150km of the border would have either multiple antennas that were stationary, or a rotor mounted antenna with a little dial/clock on top of the TV set to set it to the right compass bearing.

I find rotor control clocks almost everytime i am at a flea market, but the actual rotors themselves are very rare because they're often just still sitting on the roof, almost half a century after cable got introduced...
I have one, keeping it for ham radio purposes so i can point my big honking Yagi at England and bother some bri'ish greybeards.

I'll see if i can post a picture of that thing. They're pretty neat, there's a synchronous AC motor in the control box and in the rotor. The compass dial has a limit switch you turn to (for instance) 90 degrees east. Then the synchro motors will both turn at the same speed until the limit switch is reached, and they're now pointed in the same direction. To calibrate, you let the antenna rotor bang against the mechanical limit and turn the rotor to 0 degrees.

LimaBiker has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Oct 19, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

LimaBiker posted:

Indeed. And in the case of Europe, to receive a neighboring country's TV channels, you also needed to point the antenna towards that country's TV transmitter. In the VHF days the range could be very large, so many people within about 150km of the border would have either multiple antennas that were stationary, or a rotor mounted antenna with a little dial/clock on top of the TV set to set it to the right compass bearing.
Those are Switzerland/Liechtenstein electric plugs which also backs that. A lot of these countries is 150km from the border

Whenever I was on vacation with my mom the hotels would have some weird channels. I was introduced to Spongebob in german and after all those years I just can't loving do it in english, not my sponge

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

my turn in the barrel, I love your house :v:

I grew up with Ducktales in Swedish, hearing it in Norwegian years later was such a mindfuck.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

LimaBiker posted:

I'll see if i can post a picture of that thing. They're pretty neat, there's a synchronous AC motor in the control box and in the rotor. The compass dial has a limit switch you turn to (for instance) 90 degrees east. Then the synchro motors will both turn at the same speed until the limit switch is reached, and they're now pointed in the same direction. To calibrate, you let the antenna rotor bang against the mechanical limit and turn the rotor to 0 degrees.

This is still used today, it's probably how your garage door works.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wibla posted:

my turn in the barrel, I love your house :v:

I grew up with Ducktales in Swedish, hearing it in Norwegian years later was such a mindfuck.

"Kom bli med / til Andeby"
:hmmno:

Definitely a shared generational experience.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Oct 19, 2023

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Wasabi the J posted:

Also same in LV

The one in Vegas has (had?) and Pinball 2000 machine that you could play. That really made my day, when I was there.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fig. 1: a controller for the PlayStation negative 8. :v:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Powered Descent posted:

I want you to know that that made me chuckle.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Powered Descent posted:

man I hate getting stuck with the madcatz at the sleepover

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Wipfmetz posted:

I'm in Marengo IL which is a small farm town but is near enough to 4 major markets that you can pull in TV and Radio with a large enough antenna that has a rotator. Local TV news would come from Rockford/Janesville to the west but major market stations like WGN in Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison are all in completely different directions and far enough that without a rotator you are hosed.

My house also seems to act like a faraday cage and blocks TV/radio once you are inside. Being built in 1965 with a then trendy flat roof it's probably a combination of lead sheeting on the roof, lead paint and possibly metal mesh in the walls and probably lead in the window glass. So the PO put up a 2 story utility pole and a huge antenna and rotor that are looming from the back yard.

But once you have the antenna/rotor and run the wall plates/jacks you would hook up your TVs and radios in each room. You could then just take the rotor controller to whatever room you were in and plug it into the antenna Jack and a 110v outlet and it sends the power up the wiring to the rotor so you can see where the antenna is pointing and fine tune reception from anywhere in the house.

My parents had a channel master rotor setup when I was a kid and I used to love playing with the knob and then watching the indicator dial move as the antenna rotated to where it was supposed to point.

Here is a YT video with a split screen showing how it works at both ends simultaneously. They were able to be mounted outside but we're also commonly mounted in attics like this to keep the rotor components from getting frozen in the winter or seizing up after years of being exposed to the elements.

https://youtu.be/zR0FNET_0p0?si=M8xLlyT9Cu8Jzid8

Here is a few vintage ads that the YT algorithm thought paired nicely

https://youtu.be/gq3UsfQ5CoY?si=RjzbwAa_EO_2Qhfn

Sadly my antenna wires were broken and dangling from the pole when I bought the house and there is no rotor controller box and I highly doubt the rotor motor still works. I also hate the way the antenna sticks up over the house and the pole is sketchy and leaning so I need to pull the antenna to resell or donate and then cut down the pole before it falls down.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
You should try contacting your local ham radio club and seeing if anyone there wants the antenna or rotor. I've read that vintage antenna rotors (in working condition) are desireable to ham operators because they can handle heavier antennas than modern ones. There's a good chance you'll find someone to take them away from you in exchange for helping you take them down.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lol at how perfect your house is for this little conversation. The car in the driveway really makes it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wash bucket posted:

lol at how perfect your house is for this little conversation. The car in the driveway really makes it.

'68 Impala?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Looks like the car is for sale

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

That's a 65 Impala 4 door project car that my brother was trying to talk me into buying. I previously had a 66 4d hardtop that I had to sell because the frame was rotting away.

The 65 seemed nice but on closer inspection it looks like it was built in the pimp my ride era and to about the same quality.

They shaved the doors and put in poppers, frenched the tail lights into Chevy bowtie shapes and put in a really nice custom leather interior but the body work has a bunch of Bondo under the failing paint job.

It has a motor and trans put in it but needs all the wiring replaced and it's too much $ to put in on top of buying the car. Single dading my 5 year old son means I don't have the free time even if I wanted to invest the cash.

It's not quite period correct but once the Impala moves on or my brother finds a better place to store it I'm going to try and track down a 70 to 72 Buick Skylark that's a little more turnkey so I can actually take my kid to car shows and enjoy it and just teach him how to do maintenance wrenching. That or an old El Camino so I can haul my various thrift store furniture purchases.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Here is a few vintage ads that the YT algorithm thought paired nicely

https://youtu.be/gq3UsfQ5CoY?si=RjzbwAa_EO_2Qhfn

It's not technology, but this style of advertising is long obsolete too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/OnlyAWorldAway/status/1715372627693355337?s=20

https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1715415883429163456?s=20

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Should have bought the maintenance contract for their cooler doors.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.wsj.com/articles/walgreens-test-of-ad-enabled-cooler-doors-ends-up-in-court-c79fecd6

WSJ posted:

But technical issues meant the simple act of grabbing a soda from a smart cooler could be fraught with frustration and even danger, according to court documents filed by Walgreens with the Cook County Circuit Court in Illinois.

The doors’ digital screens regularly froze or went dark, preventing customers from seeing what was available inside, and some even sparked and caught fire, according to the court documents. The screens also often showed the wrong products or prices, or didn’t show when products were out of stock, according to the documents.

Walgreens said those issues came about because Cooler Screens didn’t maintain its technology and was late or nonresponsive when it came to fixing problems.

Cooler Screens said it always maintained contractual service agreements and presented a remediation plan that Walgreens was slow to approve.

Cooler Screens blamed the bulk of technical issues on what it called Walgreens’ aging and poorly maintained electrical and refrigeration infrastructure that the retailer failed to repair prior to installation. Walgreens was responsible for supplying accurate stock data that was then displayed on the screens, Cooler Screens said.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

All I can think of is Michael Palin saying "What a stupid concept!"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Your house is gorgeous, my turn in the barrel. Nice work.

Is your kid's bedroom full of cowboy stuff, or did you let them be inauthentic and modern?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I totally missed that 'my turn in the barrel' was OPs username and thought everyone was just lining up to get fired out of a cannon for their interior design opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Killingyouguy! posted:

I totally missed that 'my turn in the barrel' was OPs username and thought everyone was just lining up to get fired out of a cannon for their interior design opinions

That is totally not what I think about when I hear that phrase...